I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

My personal choices would be something light - Maeve Binchey (she has a new one out), Barbara Taylor Bradford (Emma's Secret is good), Nicholas Sparks(enjoyed the Wedding more than the Notebook), Sophie Kinsella etc.

As much as I enjoy Patricia Cornwell, James Patterson and others (murders, mystery, intrigue) at home, on vacations I really prefer light romance, humour.

Debbie

My absolute favorite series is written by Robert K Tanenbaum. He writes about a NYC couple Butch Karp and his wife Marlene Ciampi who are involved in various forms of the law and law enforcement. The characters are well developed and the plots make them hard to put down. There are at least 10 books - Absolute Rage, No Lessor Plea, Material Witness etc. You don't have to read them in order.

Anything by Linda Howard. I discoverd her last summer with a witty suspensful and romantic novel called " Mr. Perfect" and I haven't stopped reading her since. Every book is great. I plan to take two of her novels with me on my next cruise. 3_3_6.gif

Tillie

Explorer of the Seas

10-24-04

28_1_16.gif

I agree Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series are the best!! They will definately make you laugh out loud. Here is a complete list of the titles:

One For the Money

Two For the Dough

Three to Get Deadly

Four to Score

High Five

Hot Six

Seven Up

Hard Eight

To the Nines

Ten Big Ones

Visions of Sugar Plums

You don't have to read them in order, however if you are able to, I would. There is kind of a storyline that continues throughout.

Hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Oh and by the way Nicholas Sparks is awesome as well. And I just read James Patterson's Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas and Sam's Letters to Jennifer. Both were easy reads. Perfect for vacation.

Anything by Linda Howard. I discoverd her last summer with a witty suspensful and romantic novel called " Mr. Perfect" and I haven't stopped reading her since. Every book is great. I plan to take two of her novels with me on my next cruise. 3_3_6.gif

Tillie

Explorer of the Seas

10-24-04

28_1_16.gif

Hi Tillie, I read Mr Perfect too and you are right, absolutely a great cruise read. I'll have to check out her other stuff, That was the only book of hers I read.

I tend to find an author I like and then read everything he or she has written -

some to consider exploring if you haven't before, are -

Robert Ruark

Robt Parker (the Spencer private eye series)

Stuart Woods (and I second the recommendation of Palindrome)

Robt Ludlum

Clive Cussler

Stephen Frey

James Clavell

Frederick Forsythe

John Sandford

Wilbur Smith (start with Birds of Prey and its sequel Monsoon)

Nelson Demille (esp Up Country)

Ken Follett

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Here are some of my favorite mystery author's latestest books:

Hot and Bothered by Jane Isenberg

Broken Dishes by Earlene Fowler

Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

Blue Blood Susan McBride

Last Lesson Summer by Margaret Maron

Swallow the Hook by SW Hubbard

Marriage Casket by Deborah Morgan

And of course my own latest book--

Murder of a Pink Elephant by Denise Swanson

Another vote for just about ANYTHING from Nelson DeMille. My favorite is The Gold Coast, but you can't go wrong with any of them. Carl Hiaasen is also very good (he wrote the previously mentioned, Skinny Dip; also, Skin Tight, Sick Puppy, Native Tongue, Stormy Weather, and many others). My very favorite author is John Irving (The World According to Garp, A Prayer For Owen Meany, Hotel New Hamphire, The Cider House Rules, and many others), all excellent. Many of Stuart Woods books are also great reads. I am currently reading his Swimming To Catalina. Hope this helps.

Happy crusin

Frank

all this time on CC and I think this is my first visit here?

to add and agree with all that have said: Janet Evanovich, a couple of years ago my DW and I were both on the back patio reading, I was slugging through something about the U.S. Space Program, doing about 1 page every 5 minutes, when I wasn't falling asleep. She was laughing, cackeling, chortiling and having a great time, I asked her just what was so funny and she read me something about an old lady wearing tennis shoes who had a gun and her head stuck in a casket, Since I have read all 10 books, very funny and a good read.

Also enjoy, Sue Grafton, just started "P" and I never looked at the title, too lazy to go into the other room and get it. Marcia Muller, the Sharon McCone P.I.'s, as already mentioned Carl Hiasen for wicked dark humor, and for something a little heavier, Jonathan Kellerman, not his wife.

and a series of books I don't believe I have ever seen on any book list on CC. and don't poo-poo the idea, after all the 8.1 million people who pre-ordered the last book could't all have been kids, try the "Harry Potter" series, five out now and if you have the kind of mind that can accept fantasy (some can't) these would be great on the cruise, or anywhere.

not that is matters but someone mentioned Sue Grafton and the new book "P" is for..........I have gone into the other room now and it is actually "R is for Ricochet" just put it down at chapter five, it sure is nice (kinda comforting) to pick up a new book from a series that you are familiar with.

For light reading, go with "Sea Swept" then "Rising Tides" by Nora Roberts. They're family stories set on the Chesapeake Bay and have lots of references to the water, the sky, seafood and boats. The ship should provide the perfect atmosphere to read them!

Janet Evanovich is absolutely hilarious!!!!!!!! Truly a laugh out loud series. I can't wait for her books to come out. We'll be driving down to Galveston for our cruise on Nov 1st, 9 hour drive, and I am looking for books on cassette or CD that my husband and I will both enjoy. I will definitely check out the library for some of these mentioned.

I do love an intelligent read, but for vacations I daydream so often between pages, that I have learned to take something light. I just got back from vacation recently and one of the books I read was "The Devil Wears Prada". Oh my...hysterically funny and although it is fiction, I would not be surprised if there is a hint of what the NY publishing scene is really like. It's available in paperback.