Princess secrets...

lysolqn

..........or stopped for a glass in one of the bars on the ship and brought what was left into the dining room. I never thought it was tacky at all, how does anyone know where I got the wine?

ITA with you on this. My point exactly...how would anyone know if you bought the wine at the bar and didn't have time (since wine should be 'sipped' slowly to enjoy it) to finish a glass when taking it into the dining room. Does that mean that anyone who walks into the dining room with an unfinished drink (wine or cocktail) is tacky? Seems like an assumption

and generalization and that is just plan "tacky" to me.

I like your upfront post! The corkage is just a part of our cruise cost. Between DW and I, we try to leave a quarter bottle (even if it a wine we order from the ship's list, which we do quite often because the list has some excellent wines at quite reasonable prices) and offer it to the Asst. Waiter (the wine waiter) and the waiter to sample later if they wish. If they don't finish it, the left over is an extra glass the next evening. A wine drinker also knows that one never fills wine glass to the "rim" to be able to enjoy swirling it (especially if it is good wine)! Those who bring from the cabin usually have it filled to the rim!

May be the "other" poster will read the part I have boldfaced!

But no more on wines -- the secret of not paying corkage is out.

I don't mind being tacky. I refuse to pay $15 corkage, though I do miss topping my wine up. I have seen some people with small plastic bottles, tip some liquor into a soda, so maybe i could do this with wine!:D

Where did the happy post go? I thought this was a thread on happy stuff. It looks like it is going upstream with Tropical Storm Hannah. This needs it's own thread////// To Cork or not to Cork....that is the question. Geez have a super night. We will watch the weather channel all night as we are getting good ole Hannah, in case anyone cares. No charge for her!!:eek:

ITA with you on this. My point exactly...how would anyone know if you bought the wine at the bar and didn't have time (since wine should be 'sipped' slowly to enjoy it) to finish a glass when taking it into the dining room. Does that mean that anyone who walks into the dining room with an unfinished drink (wine or cocktail) is tacky? Seems like an assumption and generalization and that is just plan "tacky" to me.

I'm with you, and we can only hope these people spend more time enjoying their trip next time and less time worrying about what others are doing.

If you go to the Crown library look for the 8th row of books from the doors, then grab the 11th book from the right side and pull down, a secret passage will open, thats where the real VIP lounge is :D

I wonder if its just hearsay?

I had to look to make sure that my husband had not posted this. GREAT thank you.

On Oct. 1, we will be taking the kids on their first ever cruise. We have sailed Princess before, but this will be our first time on the Golden Princess, and would like any tips specific to that ship. Does anyone know of any "secret doors" on her? The kids would have a blast with these. The tips in this thread have been great, and I hope there will be more of them.

I would like to know if Emerald has outside decks (besides the very top ones) that go all the way around where one could sit and look at the ocean or take a walk around.

Deck 7 (Promenade deck) goes has an outside deck that goes 80% of the way around. You make it 100% by going (while outside) up to deck 8, go around the box, and then back to deck 7.

There are deck chairs outside on deck 7 for relaxation and sea gazing.

In the dining rooms they have the best Hot Chocolate which comes in a pot - very light and not your usual overly sweet hot chocolate and there is no charge for it.

Also you can get a banana split from childs menu.

In the dining rooms they have the best Hot Chocolate which comes in a pot - very light and not your usual overly sweet hot chocolate and there is no charge for it.

Thanks for the reminder!! Dh loved the hot chocolate because he's not a coffee or tea drinker! It was so good that I ordered iit nstead of coffee some mornings!

Also you can get a banana split from childs menu.

Do you know what kind of fodd is on the childs menu ? I have a picky teenager that I had order off the reg menu on the CB this past July so that I could finally get her to eat real chicken instead of chicken nuggets, however after many nights of dissapointment I might break down and tell her ther is a childs menu if I can find out what's on it ? If it's just nuggets, pasta, etc. I'll keep my secret.

Do you know what kind of fodd is on the childs menu ? I have a picky teenager that I had order off the reg menu on the CB this past July so that I could finally get her to eat real chicken instead of chicken nuggets, however after many nights of dissapointment I might break down and tell her ther is a childs menu if I can find out what's on it ? If it's just nuggets, pasta, etc. I'll keep my secret.

Your wair staff should be able to get her quite a range of things, so try that. :)

Tip #1: Order a Volcano for dessert off of the kids menu. It's 3 or 4 scoops of vanilla ice cream covered with hot fudge with 3 chocolate chip cookies creating the sides, with a billow of whip cream erupting! Silly rabbit volcanoes aren't just for kids!

Tip #2: My favorite dessert is to order a bowl of strawberries, a side dish of chocolate sauce and a side dish of whip cream. LOVE IT.

Tip #3: For you anytime diners, get in good with the Maitre D' the first night. Communicate; do you want to sit with others, alone, do you want a "fun" and "entertaining" wait staff or someone more serious? Ask and you shall receive, you just gotta ask. Also read reviews from people that were on your ship to find recommended servers. And just like we enjoy fun crew members, they enjoy fun (and polite) passengers.

Tip #4 Bring walkie talkies if you have kids - it's a great way to keep in touch with them!

Last year there was no charge at breakfast, but was a charge at lunch or dinner.

Last year there was no charge at breakfast, but was a charge at lunch or dinner.

Thanks for the info because I love hot chocolate with my breakfast. I guess it's just the little kid left in me!! LOL :D

Just a couple of tips not yet seen on this board:

1. Cabin softgoods (bedspreads, carpet, curtains) are also color coded for port and starboard, just like the hallway carpets.

2. For those sailing on a ship with a Skywalkers Lounge, we have found it a great refuge in cooler weather. My DH and I mix ourselves a cocktail around 5pm (it's always 5pm somewhere) and then take our drinks to Skywalkers. It's usually pretty peaceful, and the view from up top is splendid.

3. In order to a) avoid breakage and b) avoid confiscation by ship personnel, we always purchase a bottle of vodka, pour the vodka into a large, empty water bottle, and place it in our carryon bag. I know it's sneaky, but I don't feel as guilty as I would just bringing the vodka bottle.

Our next cruise is February 2, 2009 on the Star to South America. We'll need a "big" bottle of vodka for those 12 nights!

Sam

Was on the 7/19 cruise, rear starboard and woke up at Crown Bay to the sound of roosters crowing. Looked out the balcony and it appeared we were in somebody's backyard. Much different than the pier at Charlotte Amalie.

We did a B to B in January, we were in St. Thomas twice once we docked at Crown Bay and the second time at Havensight which was so much better!!

Archived