Best ways to get from Cozumel to Tulum?

lovinglucy

We will be in Cozumel from 7am until 5pm in October and want to get to the ruins on our own instead of the ships excursion. I have read that most take a cab from the pier to the ferry location which costs maybe $6 for the cab ride and about $19 per person for the ferry. Then take either bus or cab to Tulum- I prefer the cab since you don't need to wait for a certain departure time??

What would it cost if we took a cab? I'd like to get a breakdown of the cost for this trip and I also want to get an idea of what the difference in cost is between doing it on our own versus the ship excursion.

Any info and experience info is greatly appreciated!

I love the Caribbean but sometimes it just gets too hot and then the hubby gets irritated- he then says "next year, we're going to Alaska"!!

We rented a car when we docked at Calica in March so we could drive to Tulum on our own. Car rental was from "Executive Car Rental" and was $60 and included insurance. I'd imagine it would be similar from Playa, once you ferried there from Coz. Car agency provided detailed map information on reaching Tulum, as well as other sites along the main highway there. Very easy to find. This was the most economical way for the 5 in our family to get there, plus it allowed us to operate on our own schedule, which, with 3 kids is a great thing!

I've read the links (some don't work), but I'd still like to know if anyone has taken a cab from the ferry stop in Playa to Tulum. We are fluent in Spanish and are not crazy about the idea of renting a car in Mexico. They can sometimes charge more when they know you are visiting only for the day.

Claudia

After taking a ferry to Playa the ruins are about another 45 minutes to one hour away- I can only imagine theprice of a cab. (I also dont recall seeing any cabs there when we were leaving the ruins.)

Here is a link to the Ferry schedule. http://www.cozumelinsider.com/transportation/#Ferry

If the ship is docking in Cozumel- check into what an excursion on the ferry will cost- that way you wont have to take a cab to the ferry. The ferry runs every hour so dont miss that ferry by a few minutes.

Thanks Serene.

Has anyone seen or taken any non-ship excursions from Cozumel to Tulum? I'm assuming there would have to be those tours from independent owners once we get to the pier. We speak and read fluent Spanish so I am wondering if anyone can recommend any tours from the pier and their cost.

The guides at the pier were charging maybe 5 less then the cruise excursion. We took the cruise excursion since it is a long tour- 4 hour travel time and 2 hour touring time. Which gave us less then an hour window to be back on the ship- If we took a tour witht he cruise-the ship has to wait for us to get back. If I took the tour bus to save the 5 bucks and it got a flat tire on the way back--im outta luck.

I had a great time on my tour. I am very glad honey talked me into going there. (if you do take the cruise tour- the bus will stop at a sovernier place. Save your money as this place is very expensive compared to the stores at the pier. you could save over 50% by waiting.

Archived