How do you minimize cost of open-jaw air fare?

2forTravelin

We will be on a cruise in the Med next year and I'm already thinking about the air fare. We will be cruising out of Rotterdam and around to Venice. I would prefer not to pay the cruiseline fare if I can find a less expensive way to go. So far, the open-jaw prices are just horrible so I thought I'd see what others may have done to save money. I've even thought about going round trip to Paris (really good prices) and then taking a train to Rotterdam and back from Venice. But the thought of hauling all of that cruise luggage around isn't very appealing. Can any of you experienced cruisers help me?

Thanks

First, how do the open jaw fares compare with round trip fares to either city? If they are all horrible, it may just be that there are no special fares on sale yet.

Second, if there is a significant difference between buying an open jaw ticket and buying a straightforward round trip ticket to one city or the other, have a look at the options for a cheap one way ticket between the two cities either before or after the cruise, depending on which is the cheaper round trip ticket. The cheapest way of doing this will probably be to look for a low fare airline - try Skyscanner or Openjet for starters. But also don't overlook the major carriers, some of which will either sell cheap one way tickets or have round trip tickets so cheap that you can easily afford to throw away the return half.

A third alternative is to get a cheap round trip ticket to a city like London, where connections are good. Then get cheap one way (or throwaway) tickets, either on low fare carriers or on majors, for the sectors from London to/from each end of the cruise.

I thoroughly agree with the above post. Just a warning though-If you book EasyJet, RyanAir, or any of the other low cost carriers intra Europe, watch the luggage weight restrictions. Those airlines weight restrictions are not conducive to cruise luggage, unless you are one of the "carryon only" cruise people. Most of us aren't.

Globaliser - These are great sites. I'll also look into using London as the hub. I now have some better options to price out. And you are right - I'm too early to catch any special sale fares. So I may still have some luck there.

greatam - Good point about the luggage weight restrictions. There would be additonal costs because we would have over-weight bags. But I think we would be close enough to the limit so it might not be too costly.

Thanks for the great advice!

Archived