Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

medford girl;

Not yet, just the new beds and bedding....

hopefully soon,

chelle

I won't be going on Radiance until Jan 08 and from what I understand all is to implemented by AUG? But that is just around the corner so I thoutht it would be done by now. Oh well, I just wanted to hear all the good things about it. While I sit home and wait for my turn.:p

Hi Mimi;

good to hear from you. We are trying to go in August, just seeing if I can line up all my ducks in a row. What about you, when's your next one???

Medfordgirl and Patti;

I've heard they are adding the shower doors and the new TV's but no one has said for sure. The talk is the Radiance will go into dry dock for a week in February but at this point its all just rumor, nothing confirmed. The new beds are enough for me, so much nicer than the old ones.

happy cruising,

chelle:D

Medfordgirl and Patti;

I've heard they are adding the shower doors and the new TV's but no one has said for sure. The talk is the Radiance will go into dry dock for a week in February but at this point its all just rumor, nothing confirmed. The new beds are enough for me, so much nicer than the old ones.

happy cruising,

Chelle, where are they going to add shower doors?

The new beds are wonderful, just wish the frames would have been a little higher.

Patti;

I think in the cat. E3 and higher cabins....but like I said some crew says "yes" and same say "no way" so its all just rumor at this point. The last dry dock the Radiance went through made hardly any cosmetic improvements at all, just the mechanical stuff...personally I think the chairs that are breaking down in the Windjammer and some of the carpet is more important than the cabins getting new doors or flat TV's.....

I like the new beds too, don't mind the height but that bar that hangs down so low makes getting your luggage under the bed a little harder now!!!!

Patti;

I think in the cat. E3 and higher cabins....but like I said some crew says "yes" and same say "no way" so its all just rumor at this point. The last dry dock the Radiance went through made hardly any cosmetic improvements at all, just the mechanical stuff...personally I think the chairs that are breaking down in the Windjammer and some of the carpet is more important than the cabins getting new doors or flat TV's.....

I like the new beds too, don't mind the height but that bar that hangs down so low makes getting your luggage under the bed a little harder now!!!!

That would be great if they added the doors to E1's and above that need it. No more fighting with that dreaded shower curtain..........oh my, what will people have to complain about?;)

That was my thinking exactly..............just 2-3 inches higher and it would have been perfect. Since I am tall, I'm still almost landing on my knees when I get out of the new bed.:eek: But they are sooooo much more comfortable than the old ones...........so I guess you gotta give up something to get something.

I agree with the public areas getting a complete overhaul. But I guess those things just add character to a beautiful ship.

Sharon, I am glad to hear that "my" cabin will be in such good hands the week before. Hope you have a wonderful cruise. We've done a four day from Galveston to Cozumel on the last weekend in January the last two years and would probably be doing one again had RCI left the Splendour there. (It was a great long weekend getaway for our anniversary.) I have always enjoyed the Western ports and really like the itinerary of the six day Radiance cruise. DD and I just did a mother/daughter cruise together on the Rhapsody in May. DH has never done the Eastern route, so we decided to do something a little different this year.

Vicki - I will definitely take care of "our" cabin. How was the weather on your westerns in January? I'm taking DD on this one, leaving DH at home to hold down the fort!

So Patti/chelle - What's up with the public areas needing refurbishing?

Sharon;

The areas aren't bad, just showing their age after 5+ years. They replaced carpeting last year on the stairs and halls but some public areas are a little thin and a bit worn looking. Some of the chairs in the Windjammer are wobbly as well as the tables. Nothing that in any way takes away from the beauty of the ship, just your usual high traffic wear and tear.

The cabins got updates with new beds and bedding and some rooms had carpet and drape replacement.

Even the most expensive or fancy hotels have worn carpet and the chairs that look worn or wobbly tells you were the most comfortable spot is to sit and enjoy the scenery.

a little note on upgrades. On our sailing (29 Jun - 6 Jul) they were replacing the balcony glass (at least on deck 8) during port days. Unfortunately our cabin (8168) didn't get new glass since that balcony as 5 panes of non-standard sized glass. :rolleyes:

A while back I checked itineraries and it looked as though Radiance is on the seas most weeks in Feb. 2008 (we are on her the 10th), so.......no refurb?

(OMG...my ticker is working!)

M.

Sharon;

The areas aren't bad, just showing their age after 5+ years. They replaced carpeting last year on the stairs and halls but some public areas are a little thin and a bit worn looking. Some of the chairs in the Windjammer are wobbly as well as the tables. Nothing that in any way takes away from the beauty of the ship, just your usual high traffic wear and tear.

The cabins got updates with new beds and bedding and some rooms had carpet and drape replacement.

Even the most expensive or fancy hotels have worn carpet and the chairs that look worn or wobbly tells you were the most comfortable spot is to sit and enjoy the scenery.

Thanks chelle! I'm not one that takes to personally inspecting each ship I'm on and totally understand the weekly toll 3,000+ pairs of tootsies takes. I'm excited about being on a ship I've not been on before, loooooooved Serenade, so I know I'll love Radiance as well.

Sharon;

love is not a strong enough word for this ship. Its beautiful and the crew are awesome. There is so much joy and happiness on this ship that it trickles down to everyone and suddenly every man, woman and child can get along no matter race, religion or beliefs. The ship could stay parked at the dock or do circles in the water and I would be perfectly content for the rest of my life!!!!!!

Sharon;

love is not a strong enough word for this ship. Its beautiful and the crew are awesome. There is so much joy and happiness on this ship that it trickles down to everyone and suddenly every man, woman and child can get along no matter race, religion or beliefs. The ship could stay parked at the dock or do circles in the water and I would be perfectly content for the rest of my life!!!!!!

I so agree with you Michelle and can't wait to get back on her in Nov.

Hello Folks - We are seriously considering taking the Radiance Sept. 2008 for the 2 week repositioning cruise that sails from Vancouver, goes to Alaska and then sails down the Pacific coast to San Diego. Is this the first year that cruise has been offered? If not, I'd love to hear from anyone who has taken this cruise. We've never done 2 weeks before. I really love the itinerary. On a 2 week cruise how many formal nights would there be? Are there any laundry facilities (like self-service) on board? Packing for 2 weeks is going to be a lot of packing. This will be our first RCCL cruise.

Hello Folks - We are seriously considering taking the Radiance Sept. 2008 for the 2 week repositioning cruise that sails from Vancouver, goes to Alaska and then sails down the Pacific coast to San Diego. Is this the first year that cruise has been offered? If not, I'd love to hear from anyone who has taken this cruise. We've never done 2 weeks before. I really love the itinerary. On a 2 week cruise how many formal nights would there be? Are there any laundry facilities (like self-service) on board? Packing for 2 weeks is going to be a lot of packing. This will be our first RCCL cruise.

Should be 3 formal nights on a 14-day cruise. The Ultimate Alaska is offered this September as well (HI, PATTI!!) ... don't know about past years. No self-service ... but the laundry service is reasonable on board. You've chosen a FABULOUS ship for your first RCI cruise!

Another question - what is the difference between the Windjammer and the Seaview Cafe?

Windjammer is the large, well laid out buffet ... Sea View Cafe is an oft-forgotten little cafe up on 12aft.

~d

Sharon, down south (i.e. in Cozumel), the weather has generally been good. When we leave Galveston, it's generally been chilly. We had very nice weather in Key West, Grand Cayman and Cozumel when we went the first week of February in 2004. Cozumel in 2006 was a little rainy. Last year, the weather there was wonderful again.

My DD and I had a terrific trip together when we went on the Rhapsody to Montego Bay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel last May. Don't get me wrong, I have a very good time cruising with my husband, but our girl trip was so much fun. My husband's health is not so great so our trips aren't very active. Em and I took the Canopy Tour in Jamaica, snorkled in Grand Cayman and just went to the beach in Cozumel. We went to all the shows, the Quest, dance classes, gambled the nickel and penny slots, etc.

Wolfpack fan, no self service laundry on RCI. There are very reasonable cleaning and pressing services. Not having been on the Radiance before (only Vision and Sovereign class ships), I am guessing that the Windjammer is, like it is on the other ships, a buffet style restaurant that serves all meals and late afternoon snacks and probably has stations for special items like omelets, pastas and stirfries depending on the meal being served. I bet that the Seaview cafe offers a more limited menu such as sandwiches, pizza, etc. I am sure the past cruisers will educate us both!

I believe that this is the first year that Radiance is doing the Ultimate Alaska repo cruise, which we will be on. I will give you all the details upon on return.

Celebrity Summit did it back in 2005, which we were also on.

There will be 3 formal nights.

Packing should not be a problem........just wear some things twice.

No self-service laundry facilities..........but the prices for having laundry done is quite reasonable....and you normally have your things returned the next day.

If you select this cruise......may I suggest that you arrive a few days early and take in the beauty of Vancouver. I think you will not be disappointed if you chose this itinerary and ship for your 2 week cruise.

Another question - what is the difference between the Windjammer and the Seaview Cafe?

Windjammer is the buffet that is open for breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner.

SeaView Cafe is the "best kept secret" on the ship. It is aft on Deck 12, right above the WJ. It is opened for lunch on sea days at noon and on port days it opens at 3:00. It is also opened in the evenings for late night snacks. They have wonderful sandwiches, salads, chili, clam chowder, onion rings, fries, and the best milkshakes (which you must pay extra for). Just check the daily Compass for times.

Like others have said, I think they are doing a similar trip this year as well. In the past they've split it up into smaller chunks or skipped the Alaska jaunt. Last year I sailed her down from Vancouver to Los Angeles (7 days). This is the first year in awhile that I'm not doing a west coast repo (going to Alaska next month on Radiance instead!) - I love those trips because they are so laid back and I get to visit San Francisco and other west coast ports I wouldn't normally get to. The weather is often chilly, and the seas rougher than in the Caribbean, but I would not hesitate to take that repo at all - it looks like a really great trip. You should have three formal nights, I'm guessing, and it's not too tough to pack for two weeks as long as you're good at mix&match and clever re-wearing. :)

SeaView Cafe is the "best kept secret" on the ship. It is aft on Deck 12, right above the WJ. It is opened for lunch on sea days at noon and on port days it opens at 3:00. It is also opened in the evenings for late night snacks. They have wonderful sandwiches, salads, chili, clam chowder, onion rings, fries, and the best milkshakes (which you must pay extra for). Just check the daily Compass for times.

sssshhh. It's only a secret if we quit talking about it! ;)

Have been reading and enjoying this thread off and on since Cruisenfever started it about a month ago and just wanted to say thanks. We will be on the Radiance in 3/08 and this will complete 4 out of 4 for us sailing the Radiance Class. Guess you can say we like them.

The Seaview Cafe sounds quite a bit better than the Solarium Cafes on the Vision class ships. Much more variety. Will have to check this out, but I promise not to tell any of the other passengers.

oh yes, there is no comparison. In fact, Radiance ALSO has a solarium cafe with crepes, pizza, cookies, etc, so you don't even have to give that up! The think about the seaview is that most of the stuff is made to order, so it's really good. I'm fond of the chili in a bread bowl, and I know a lot of people really like the onion rings. The only downside to the seaview is the exceedingly odd hours - it's often closed during traditional mealtimes - it's more of a between-meal-snack kind of place. It's very small, so I'm sure they really don't want to be feeding throngs there at mealtime. It's often open late, though, which is nice for a late night snack.

sssshhh. It's only a secret if we quit talking about it! ;)

OK....mum's the word!:D

The Seaview Cafe sounds quite a bit better than the Solarium Cafes on the Vision class ships. Much more variety. Will have to check this out, but I promise not to tell any of the other passengers.

The SeaView on Radiance has some wonderful selections and everything is prepared when ordered...........so it comes nice and hot. The SeaView on Brilliance, from what I have read, is more of an Italian menu. We just love the SeaView and on sea days.....go early...........cause it fills up fast. There is seating inside as well as out.

Have been reading and enjoying this thread off and on since Cruisenfever started it about a month ago and just wanted to say thanks. We will be on the Radiance in 3/08 and this will complete 4 out of 4 for us sailing the Radiance Class. Guess you can say we like them.

Your welcome.......I guess I just want everyone to love her as much as we do.

Handsome1975 I'll be going on the Radiance this October. I'm curious to know from anyone who has been on this ship about the showers - are there curtains or plexi-glas doors?

Unfortunately, still the dreaded shower curtain. :( Though Chelle mentioned that when Radiance goes into drydock next year..........there was talk of replacing the curtains with doors.

Archived