Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

I think it was generally assumed that a long dry dock would address the plumbing problems they've had in the past but I haven't actually read anywhere evidence to that affect.

Maybe fixing plumbing didn't pass a cost/benefit test? Or maybe it's getting fixed but not exciting to talk about?

I think it was generally assumed that a long dry dock would address the plumbing problems they've had in the past but I haven't actually read anywhere evidence to that affect.

Maybe fixing plumbing didn't pass a cost/benefit test? Or maybe it's getting fixed but not exciting to talk about?

It appears that the plumbing is not being addressed during the dry dock. As we're aware, the pipes have been worked on for years now, and you'd think with all of the issues so many cruisers have encountered that they would have just arranged for a longer dry dock. A flooded stateroom is a serious problem and a serious inconvenience. I love the Radiance, but..! "Unlucky passengers"?! I don't believe that "the media has blown the plumbing problems out of proportion", as stated by Captain Claus. Just read the number of issues that CCers alone have had on the Radiance. RCI has the ability to change around restaurants, etc. but not to really delve into the plumbing. This post was written just a few days ago on May 30th:

Per Capt Claus answer last week..... the drydock will not correct the problems. He says they cant replumb the ship in that short of a time, but they are working on it thou.

He also said the media has blown the plumbing issues out of proportion

Our 1st time on Radiance wet cabin floor..... deck 7 hump. Last week toilets not working for part of 2 days and cabin smells musty..... deck 8 starboard mid ship>aft

When I asked Capt about it he said we must be unlucky:(

I heard more plumbing issues are being addressed in dry-dock. I was told some of the larger pipes are being replaced. One crew member told me she had to move out of her room in the earliest dry-dock days since there was water all over the floor in her doorway since they took out a huge piece of pipe temporarily.

All ships develop leaks. It's just a matter of where you are if you see them. Adventure of the Seas had water coming through the ceiling of the WJ when I was on her. It was coming from the pool deck above. Both times I've been on Serenade there were problems...the first time (my second cruise) it was my problem.

Also, I was told that the things they wanted to do during dry-dock came with a 32 million dollar price tag. They cut back to the current 20 million budget. One little cut back - rather than replace all the furniture, they are re-upholstering it all.

Gina

I heard more plumbing issues are being addressed in dry-dock. I was told some of the larger pipes are being replaced.

Good to know!

One little cut back - rather than replace all the furniture, they are re-upholstering it all.

That is actually very smart - a little reupholstering can make such a huge difference (as long as the frame is still good there is really no need for brand new furniture)

Gina

Good to know!

And supposedly there will be moving to different areas of these newly re-upholstered pieces so they won't be as recognizable to those who tend to visit the same areas over and over again. :rolleyes: :)

Gina

I heard more plumbing issues are being addressed in dry-dock.

One little cut back - rather than replace all the furniture, they are re-upholstering it all.

Gina

Thanks, that plumbing info is good news, and I like the fact they are re-upholstering the furniture rather than replacing it. Cost savings for sure, but environmentally wonderful! :)

Radiance and its plumbing. On our recent PC cruse it was a daily thing to have to call and report that our toilet would not flush, it never flooded, just would not flush.

We had the same type of problem on the same cruise. We had to pump the button in just the right way to get the toilet to flush.

We did see a load of leaks on this cruise but then we didn't see a single leak on the following 5 night cruise.

Gina

Radiance and its plumbing. On our recent PC cruse it was a daily thing to have to call and report that our toilet would not flush, it never flooded, just would not flush.

We had the same type of problem on the same cruise. We had to pump the button in just the right way to get the toilet to flush.

We did see a load of leaks on this cruise but then we didn't see a single leak on the following 5 night cruise.

Gina

On Enchantment the toilets had a mind of their own.........and this was in most cabins. You would push the button but nothing would happen...........walk away and 5 minutes later it would flush. Folks told us that they would try to flush prior to going to bed and then 5-6 hours later, the toilet flushed.:D

On Jewel we had a leak around the bathtub. They caulked it and the leak stopped.........in our bathroom anyway.:rolleyes:

Oh Patti, the smoked duck salad. I just finished dinner and now I'm hungry again. It's all your fault.

:D I hear ya!

I know this has been answered, but I can't remember ... will they let you order 2 apps and a salad plus entree?

I definitely want the Chops Signature salad - but there is NO WAY I can choose between the crab cakes and the oysters :o (I want that duck salad too (!) but it is also on the menu at Giovanni's LOL ... I think I know all the menus by heart :D)

I know this has been answered' date=' but I can't remember ... will they let you order 2 apps and a salad plus entree?

I definitely want the Chops Signature salad - but there is NO WAY I can choose between the crab cakes and the oysters :o (I want that duck salad too (!) but it is also on the menu at Giovanni's LOL ... I think I know all the menus by heart :D)[/quote']

On the Radiance last month, they practically made us order extra sides. I think they even brought one we didn't order.:)

It appears that the plumbing is not being addressed during the dry dock. As we're aware, the pipes have been worked on for years now, and you'd think with all of the issues so many cruisers have encountered that they would have just arranged for a longer dry dock. A flooded stateroom is a serious problem and a serious inconvenience. I love the Radiance, but..! "Unlucky passengers"?! I don't believe that "the media has blown the plumbing problems out of proportion", as stated by Captain Claus. Just read the number of issues that CCers alone have had on the Radiance. RCI has the ability to change around restaurants, etc. but not to really delve into the plumbing. This post was written just a few days ago on May 30th:

That was pretty much what I got from the Captain's corner talk too. Capt. Claus' answers sounded very rehearsed. Probably instructed by PR people on just what to say.

I know this has been answered' date=' but I can't remember ... will they let you order 2 apps and a salad plus entree?

I definitely want the Chops Signature salad - but there is NO WAY I can choose between the crab cakes and the oysters :o (I want that duck salad too (!) but it is also on the menu at Giovanni's LOL ... I think I know all the menus by heart :D)[/quote']

You may order all the appetizers, salads and side orders you want. If you want an extra entree, it's supposedly another $10. But of course if you don't like it or it's not cooked to your satisfaction, then they will bring you something else. If you eat it all, it was likely what you liked. :)

We were also brought side dishes we didn't order since they are served family style. They just thought we'd like to try something else they thought was really good.

I'll just bet they will allow you to order an extra dessert if you want one. We were full so we just ordered ours to go. (Then we gave them to favorite crew members who LOVE getting something not available in the crew mess. Shhhhh.....;) )

Gina

On Enchantment the toilets had a mind of their own.........and this was in most cabins. You would push the button but nothing would happen...........walk away and 5 minutes later it would flush. Folks told us that they would try to flush prior to going to bed and then 5-6 hours later, the toilet flushed.:D

On Jewel we had a leak around the bathtub. They caulked it and the leak stopped.........in our bathroom anyway.:rolleyes:

OH yeah! That sounds familiar. We've had that happen on RD in the past. But on Serenade, we had the non-stop flushing toilet that fortunately kept going down and not over. :eek:

Gina

It appears that the plumbing is not being addressed during the dry dock. As we're aware, the pipes have been worked on for years now, and you'd think with all of the issues so many cruisers have encountered that they would have just arranged for a longer dry dock. A flooded stateroom is a serious problem and a serious inconvenience. I love the Radiance, but..! "Unlucky passengers"?! I don't believe that "the media has blown the plumbing problems out of proportion", as stated by Captain Claus. Just read the number of issues that CCers alone have had on the Radiance. RCI has the ability to change around restaurants, etc. but not to really delve into the plumbing.

The last time we were on the Radiance, we experienced the worst plumbing problems we've EVER encountered. It was truly awful and went on for days (4 or 5). The toliets wouldn't flush in the staterooms on nearly every floor and they wouldn't flush in the public restrooms either. I went to 5 different ones on 5 different floors one day without finding a working toliet. Every day it was huge problems for hours and hours--not just a temporary one hour thing. Every time I would call about the toliet, I was told it was either "being fixed" or "is working now" (which it wasn't). The person answering the phone kept telling me, "just flush the toliet, it will be fine". Well, it wasn't fine and it nearly overflowed.

Since I will be on the Radiance for a B2B2B for 7 weeks this fall, I certainly hope we don't encounter this problem again.

Linda (and C. D.)

The last time we were on the Radiance, we experienced the worst plumbing problems we've EVER encountered. It was truly awful and went on for days (4 or 5). The toliets wouldn't flush in the staterooms on nearly every floor and they wouldn't flush in the public restrooms either. I went to 5 different ones on 5 different floors one day without finding a working toliet. Every day it was huge problems for hours and hours--not just a temporary one hour thing. Every time I would call about the toliet, I was told it was either "being fixed" or "is working now" (which it wasn't). The person answering the phone kept telling me, "just flush the toliet, it will be fine". Well, it wasn't fine and it nearly overflowed.

Since I will be on the Radiance for a B2B2B for 7 weeks this fall, I certainly hope we don't encounter this problem again.

Linda (and C. D.)

Wow, Linda. My experience was just the opposite. Most of the time I got it to flush before it reached the top. When I didn't, I called. They actually told me to be sure to not flush it again - they'd send someone right up. Which they did. With in very few minutes, I'd hear the guy flush it from out in the hall behind the panel.

The last time, I got a guy who thought he could show us the proper flushing technique. :D A firm and centered single push. It worked for him. I explained to him that many times it worked for me. Then the same problem would start again. That's when he decided it must not be a plugged pipe or my ignorance. I believe he then had the entire valve changed outside and it worked for the remaining few days of the next 5 night cruise. He was the guy who came within minutes to fix the shower head holder that broke off. It was the regular toilet guy who didn't speak english very well.

I have to say I've always gotten nearly instant and polite, friendly responses to issues when I've cruised on RD.

Gina

Hi everyone, thought I would start a thread on my favorite topic.........Radiance of the Seas. Maybe some of you would like to share your past cruising experiences and current cruising experiences. What you liked most, what you liked least (if that's possible). What changes would you like to see.

This might be helpful in answering questions for those that are looking to book a cruise on this beautiful ship in the future. If you would care to share cabin pictures or balcony pictures, please do so.

Our families first cruise (two teen sons) was on the Radiance during her inaugural season, August 11, 2001. I am still amazed as to her beauty. We toured Alaska and had a wonderful time. My younger son landed on crutches playing basketball, but that only lasted several days and didn't hamper his enjoyment. The trip made us devoted to RCCL.

The Radiance is floating again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVLx3XCIKZg&NR=1

This one is about the Quill & Compass Pub going in where the Scoreboard Bar was. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9ye4...&feature=feedu

Thanks so much for all the updates. Really appreciate your bringing them here.

For those that are concerned about Radiance and her plumbing problems.......in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c8ou3n4uuo starting at the 1:49 time slot, if you listen very closely you will hear Clunis the Hotel Director say that "all 1000 cabins are being replumbed and enhanced during dry dock"!!

For those that are concerned about Radiance and her plumbing problems.......in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c8ou3n4uuo starting at the 1:49 time slot, if you listen very closely you will hear Clunis the Hotel Director say that "all 1000 cabins are being replumbed and enhanced during dry dock"!!

I copied this comment from another thread. It has now been brought to my attention that Clunis is really saying "reformed" and not replumbed. :(

I copied this comment from another thread. It has now been brought to my attention that Clunis is really saying "reformed" and not replumbed. :(

I just went and listened. I guess people WANT to hear replumbed. Reformed sounds like an odd choice of word and I could barely understand it. Whatever he said, it's not close to replumbed.

I would have said updated....because even saying remodeled is too strong a word for what they are doing.

Gina

Archived