Radiance of the Seas.....Past - Present - Future

I really think these sofas look worse in pictures than they do in real life. The fabric looks funny from certain angles the way the light hits them. Although I agree it's time to switch them all out just to update the rooms.

The sofa in 1100 was pretty bad in 2010. The arms were worn out just as the picture looks. The comfy chair was in decent shape - it clearly had been changed or reupholstered since we were in there in 2004. I don't remember problems with the drapes in any of the cabins we've been in.

Since the Radiance just went through an extensive dry dock, it will be quite a while before she has another dry dock.....I can't see the cabins on hold for a long length of time for a re-do!

If they can work on the plumbing while the ship is in service, they can swap out old furniture/bedding/etc, too. All it takes is money. Unfortunately, it seems that the spare cash is all going to revenue-generating functions and to pay the debt on the Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class ships.:rolleyes:

The sofa in 1100 was pretty bad in 2010. The arms were worn out just as the picture looks. The comfy chair was in decent shape - it clearly had been changed or reupholstered since we were in there in 2004. I don't remember problems with the drapes in any of the cabins we've been in.

If they can work on the plumbing while the ship is in service, they can swap out old furniture/bedding/etc, too. All it takes is money. Unfortunately, it seems that the spare cash is all going to revenue-generating functions and to pay the debt on the Voyager/Freedom/Oasis class ships.:rolleyes:

Last comment to funny

Hiya Jean, hope all is well with you and the critters just a quick question Rob and I are thinking about taking Azamara Journey Caribbean cruise did you like them?

This was posted on Facebook today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjPWPLXH_FA

It talks about the new cabins (family suite, cabins in the former dining room and some on deck 9) and how their goal was to make all the cabins look brand new. Guess it didn't quite work...

Last comment to funny

Hiya Jean, hope all is well with you and the critters just a quick question Rob and I are thinking about taking Azamara Journey Caribbean cruise did you like them?

We're doing great! Email me at critterchick 1953 at yahoo dot com and we'll talk. The exeuctive summary is that we didn't like Journey when we sailed her, but we loved Quest. But loads of people like Journey now.

This was posted on Facebook today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjPWPLXH_FA

It talks about the new cabins (family suite, cabins in the former dining room and some on deck 9) and how their goal was to make all the cabins look brand new. Guess it didn't quite work...

Wow! It didn't quite work is quite the understatement. From everything we've heard and seen in pictures, this video is rather misleading...to put it nicely. :rolleyes:

Gina

So I guess I need to bring some clothespins for the shower curtain. How many do I need and what is the best application for them?

I've never done this but I think you clip the clothes pins to the bottom of the curtain - especially at the corners. This weighs the curtain down so it doesn't as easily blow out over the edge to wet the floor, of suck in to stick on your body. The curtain just hangs there in place, more likely.

When flying to the cruise port, this is just one more weight for me to worry about. Although it could be good to fly with them and leave them behind so you can bring something back in their place. It's not like they weigh a lot though. :rolleyes: :)

Gina

All--

I've never thought this was a huge problem. I usually just get the shower curtain wet and "plaster" it to the shower wall. That what I do at home and it works on the ship, too.

I hadn't heard about the clothes pins but one I have heard of is the weights on clips that are sold to hold down table clothes on picnic tables. Or go to a hardware store and make up your own with small clamps (like you would use for a stack of papers) and a lead fishing weight.

Again, though, it's always been pretty much of a non-issue for us. That said, the sliding plastic doors ARE nicer but I don't think we'll ever see them as a retrofit. I'd rather have new carpets and upholstery. And new mattresses!

Frank in gorgeous, again, SBA:cool:

I never have a problem with the shower curtain either. Mine have been basically non-friendly and I also just stick it to the wall. DH on the other hand! He floods the floor. So the stateroom attendants tend to notice and line the edge od the floor outside the shower with a rolled up towel. DH gets the hint from them. I don't have to say a word.

Aiming the shower head towards the back wall helps.

That being said, I prefer a JS when at all possible and I actually prefer the shower curtain there over a sliding door.

Gina

I have a "sister ship" question. We have a reservation for the Serenade and I just noticed that Chops is listing for $30. Is my memory going? I thought it was $25.

It was, they have to pay for the new upgrades to the cabins somehow;)

It was, they have to pay for the new upgrades to the cabins somehow;)

OK, thanks. I thought that maybe I was getting old. Maybe they can use some of the money to pay for the price of fuel also. I notice that their stock has almost caught up with Carnival's.

I have a "sister ship" question. We have a reservation for the Serenade and I just noticed that Chops is listing for $30. Is my memory going? I thought it was $25.

And I believe it used to be $20 :rolleyes: However, we have always had a very good experience there, with food quality, service, and atmosphere.

The price of Chops has gone up and the food has gone down.

I have always been a big fan of the chops menu, and looked forward to eating there every cruise.

We just got off the 6/17 sailing and I thought the selection and food is not as good. They no longer have the lamb chops, which really disappointed DH. Its now a mixed grill with a tiny piece of lamb along with a sausage, and something else, it seemed more like bar food. My fillet was still pretty good, but the sides are just so-so.

The night after we paid for chops we got invited to eat with the Capt in chops. This time I got the boneless beef short rib, as I had read on CC that people that got it really liked it. Major disappointment!! It had the texture of brisket and no flavor. I should have taken the Capts lead and got the halibut.

I wont be paying for chops on our next cruise unless the menu changed.

The price of Chops has gone up and the food has gone down.

I have always been a big fan of the chops menu, and looked forward to eating there every cruise.

We just got off the 6/17 sailing and I thought the selection and food is not as good. They no longer have the lamb chops, which really disappointed DH. Its now a mixed grill with a tiny piece of lamb along with a sausage, and something else, it seemed more like bar food. My fillet was still pretty good, but the sides are just so-so.

The night after we paid for chops we got invited to eat with the Capt in chops. This time I got the boneless beef short rib, as I had read on CC that people that got it really liked it. Major disappointment!! It had the texture of brisket and no flavor. I should have taken the Capts lead and got the halibut.

I wont be paying for chops on our next cruise unless the menu changed.

Lesson learned. ALWAYS get what the Captain gets. You know they won't be messing up his food.

Gina

My first experience with the shower curtain was on this ship and I have to say that I just HATED it. I flooded the floor everytime and just dreaded having to get into that little cubicle. However, by the end of the cruise I got the shower head just right and did not get so much water on the floor. I think this made the cabin steward happy.

Radiance experts, just read somewhere that there is a cover over the lifeboats, so lower level decks with balcony can not look straight down to the water.

I have a balcony room on Deck 7, is that considered lower level? Am I looking straight down onto the covered life boats and not down to water? If so -- how high up do I need to be to avoid this? Or are the hump balcony cabins (or aft balcony) the only way to avoid this?

Cruising on Radiance in Feb 12, so have time to change cabins, or hope I do! Would rather not look down onto the lifeboats, or is it not a big deal? Thanks, Kay

Radiance experts, just read somewhere that there is a cover over the lifeboats, so lower level decks with balcony can not look straight down to the water.

I have a balcony room on Deck 7, is that considered lower level? Am I looking straight down onto the covered life boats and not down to water? If so -- how high up do I need to be to avoid this? Or are the hump balcony cabins (or aft balcony) the only way to avoid this?

Cruising on Radiance in Feb 12, so have time to change cabins, or hope I do! Would rather not look down onto the lifeboats, or is it not a big deal? Thanks, Kay

Here is a picture of the starboard side of the ship. The port side will have the outside elevators but as you can see Deck 7 is right above the white canopy that covers the life boats and it is the same on both sides.

2844364610037912873S500x500Q85.jpg

If you go to page 185 and find post #3683 there is a picture of balconies on Deck 7 that do not have the life boat canopy.

I'd definitely change cabins since you have plenty of time before your cruise. We've been on Deck 7 and were just above the lifeboat covers once and its preferable NOT to have to look at them! Deck 8 is better and Deck 9 is better than 8. When you're at sea it's not as annoying as when you are docked and can't see straight down.

Linda (and C. D.)

Patti--

Love the picture. It makes it appear as if RCL and "X" have merged instead of just being sister companies!

We've never been on 7 but have been on 8 and it's not a big deal. 9 is better, though.

Frank in gorgeous SBA:cool:

Thanks so much to all for the quick answers about balcony rooms on Deck 7, I wondered if there might have been a post already in the 242 pages of info here! So forgive me for not taking the time to look over all pages and pointing me to the correct place!! Will see if I can find another room. Thanks Kay

Thanks so much to all for the quick answers about balcony rooms on Deck 7, I wondered if there might have been a post already in the 242 pages of info here! So forgive me for not taking the time to look over all pages and pointing me to the correct place!! Will see if I can find another room. Thanks Kay

You are welcome. It's better to learn from others experiences before you board. Any other questions.........just ask.:)

You are welcome. It's better to learn from others experiences before you board. Any other questions.........just ask.:)

OK done, new rooms are 7542 and 7544. Thanks again for helping me, much appreciated. This is the greatest place to get info and answers, as long as its not a controversial topic!! Now I know where to come for any other Radiance questions. Been on RCL before but not the Radiance. Now I won't be looking out over the lifeboats. Its great to get info and know things before you get on board. Kay

OK done, new rooms are 7542 and 7544. Thanks again for helping me, much appreciated. This is the greatest place to get info and answers, as long as its not a controversial topic!! Now I know where to come for any other Radiance questions. Been on RCL before but not the Radiance. Now I won't be looking out over the lifeboats. Its great to get info and know things before you get on board. Kay

Good Choice. Now you can fish right off your balcony!!:eek::p

Archived