Snorkel Gear...Buy or rent?

Thanks, but I was hoping to find a "tried and true" place for equipment that someone has had success with. Maybe even a storefront chain.

We got ours at a local scuba shop and I trust them since they knew

everything about the products (all of the shop clerks and managers were

divers themselves). They really knew what they were talking about and

gave us good advice. I would recommend looking for a local dive shop.

Can anyone recommend specific snorkeling products or what to look for when purchasing them? We are new to snorkeling. We snorkeled in St. John in January and loved it, but we probably would only use our equipment once or twice a year. We have a fairly inexpensive "Aqua" snorkel that was purchased a Target at the end of last summer. I think they have a backflow valve. What/where should we look for a mask?

Thanks!

We went to a dive shop and bought our masks and snorkels. The snorkel with the backflow valve is the only way to go. What a difference it makes. Dive masks are also just made better. I used to always get water in my mask and now that we invested in good quality gear, I never do. We spent $50 for the snorkel and my mask was $50 and DH's was around $70. Also get the yellow blow up vests, they had them at the dive store for $26, lots less than the ones we got from Overton's Catalog. Would not be without them as I don't like being in deep water without a vest. Easy to transport since they just fold up and I put them in a zip lock back to protect them.

When we were in Cozumel, we got the snorkel gear included in our excursion. I was nervous bc I was like - "OMGosh, this has been in like - a zillion other's mouths." - But when our tour guide took them out, I was happy to see that all mouth-pieces were in a sealed plastic bag. We had to actually rip them open to get them out. The goggles and flippers were in a basket - but that didn't bother me. I would say I felt pretty confident in the cleanliness of my mouth-piece. ;)

I either rinse it with clear water or a with a mild soapy solution. Rinse, rinse, rinse.;)

So, Dawn is strong enough? I was wondering if I should use Clorox or Peroxide.

I bring my own gear. They can say it is sanitized, but to me, it is like using someone else's toothbrush. You can find good deals on snorkeling packages that include the mask, snorkel, and fins. If you belong to Costco, you can even buy the package for around $40. So if renting costs around $27, you will easily pay for the gear in two uses. Just my opinion.

We bought mine & my son's set at Costco. We only snorkel when we go on a cruise so we don't need anything super heavy-duty. The set we got a Costco works fine for us and it also comes with it's own little backpack carrying case.

So, Dawn is strong enough? I was wondering if I should use Clorox or Peroxide.

I wouldn't use either of the latter--stick to a tiny dab of dish detergent in lots of water so that it is just barely sudsy. The harsher cleansers may damage the silicon edges or the seal which would make he mask useless.

A great tip. Chad, the captain of our catamaran in Barbados told me that if you don't snorkel regularly, then you should store the mask and snorkel in a fridge if you have the space. Keeping the silicon cool will increase the lifespan of the gear. If you don't, the silicon will deteriorate faster.

Another great tip. If you don't have defogger, use a little dab of toothpaste and smear it around until you can't see it anymore. The film will last quite a while an will keep the mask from fogging up.

I wouldn't use either of the latter--stick to a tiny dab of dish detergent in lots of water so that it is just barely sudsy. The harsher cleansers may damage the silicon edges or the seal which would make he mask useless.

A great tip. Chad, the captain of our catamaran in Barbados told me that if you don't snorkel regularly, then you should store the mask and snorkel in a fridge if you have the space. Keeping the silicon cool will increase the lifespan of the gear. If you don't, the silicon will deteriorate faster.

Another great tip. If you don't have defogger, use a little dab of toothpaste and smear it around until you can't see it anymore. The film will last quite a while an will keep the mask from fogging up.

Thanks! I have a fridge in the garage….I wish I would have know to store the gear there sooner. Great tip!

We also got our gear at Costco and love it. The fins are adjustable and stay on our feet! 2.gif

Archived