Sidi Bou Said or Tunis???

Debbierpof

We are in Tunis from 1 to 7 pm. We had asked our hired driver to take us to the following: Carthage, American Military Cemetary in Carthage, Sidi Bou Said, Bardo Museum and Tunis. Is this overextending ourselves? What would you suggest we cut from the itinerary? We really want to visit Carthage and the Cemetary. Sido Bou Said looks beautiful but Tunis seems much more traditional (with the souk and mosque). Thanks!

We are in Tunis from 1 to 7 pm. We had asked our hired driver to take us to the following: Carthage, American Military Cemetary in Carthage, Sidi Bou Said, Bardo Museum and Tunis. Is this overextending ourselves? What would you suggest we cut from the itinerary? We really want to visit Carthage and the Cemetary. Sido Bou Said looks beautiful but Tunis seems much more traditional (with the souk and mosque). Thanks!

Hi:

Seems you would have little time to enjoy some of sites. We are in Tunisia in Nov/07 and have been trying to get track on private tours. Do you have one you could recommend to be checked out? Would appreciate hearing from you. molliem@shaw.ca

thanks, Elwin

We have been in contact with three companies. This is our first time in Tunis, so I'm not sure I can really provide a recommendation until we have gone on our tour. But... here are the companies we have corresponded with:

Tunisian Discoveries (I think is the company we are using) tunisiandiscoveries.com "Kerstin-TunisianDiscoveries" kerstin@tunisiandiscoveries.com

TunisiaFirst www.tunisiafirst.co.uk "Peter Kirk" Peter.kirk@tunisiafirst.co.uk

"atlantis" atlantis@gnet.tn

I will write a review when I return!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

DH & I have spent a month or more in Tunisia 4 times in the past 6 years.

We find it less expensive and more exotic to spend February or March there than in Florida.

Have looked over your schedule and,frankly, you have overextended yourself IMO. the most important thing of all is to decide whether you want to skim over things or see something in depth. It's your call. Fist thing I would cut is the Bardo. If you cannot devote at least two or three hours to it, do't bother.It is not a museum , like the Louvre, where you can go in and have a look at a few famous objects. There are magnificent statues and amazing mosaics but you have to really have the time to examine them in order to enjoy them thoroughly.

There are 3 or 4 interesting sites in Carthage. Ask your guide to bring you to the site that has the ancient Roman ruins plus a small museum attached. That way you will be able to see a sampling of what is included in the Bardo, plus have a magnificent view of Roman architecture, etc.Right up the road (a five minute walk is a Roman graveyard )

As for visiting Tunis itself, I personally would skip it. Why? It's too widespread to be able to appreciate it within the time frame you have at your disposal.Plus there is really nothing particularly different about it.

Now, if what you want to do is soak up the atmosphere and visit the souks, well that's plenty of fun. However, if you really want to soak up the flavor , you have to spend time and haggle a bit. That does take time but it's part of the atmosphere. Personally, DH & I love to go to the souks on rainy days when we have the time to "negotiate". Otherwise, if one pays the price asked and there is no two way back & forth bargaining, one passes for an ignorant tourist and gets taken. On the other hand, if you do by pass the souk ask your driver to stop at a small stall anywhere and try your bargaining skills that way. If you've been to Istanbul, Tunis does not really compare in atmosphere.

As for Sidi Bou Said, it is even prettier than what the post cards say. We love going there. Thesecret is to go immediately up to the graveyard where you can see the way Tunisians bury their dead. From that vantage point, you get a beautiful view of the sea and of the town. Then walk down by the back streets where you can really see the white house with their blue roofs and amazing doors, each painted and worked better than the other. Notice the door knockers, the flower pots. I cannot tell you haow enjoyable it is. You'll be tired after your walk so drop in to the "Café des nattes" and ask for a mint tea with pine nuts (Secret: that's a Tunisian specialty & is particularly refreshing). Afterwards if you go to the American graveyard you will be able to compare for you will have seen a Roman graveyard, a Tunisian graveyard, and an American graveyard.

Whatever you do, I'm sure you will enjoy it. Please let us know all about it on your return. Feel free to ask me more questions. I love Tunisia and its history. Have even been to archeological digs there (in Carthage) in another life. Whatever you do, ENJOY!

We had what I would consider to be a negative experience with Atlantis in 2005. We had made firm arrangements well in advance of our cruise for a group of eight and had many correspondences. Our cruise line then began changing the date & time of our arrival and we had to ask Atlantis to change & this was no problem the first time we changed; however, the cruise line then changed again & at that point Atlantis basically just blew us off. No correspondence whatsoever after that. I almost thought they had gone out of business! I e-mailed repeatedly from home as well as from the ship and received no response. We too were angry with the cruise line for the constant changes & I would have had more respect for Atlantis had they come out & said "we're sorry, we just can't deal with your constant changes." But to just blow me off made me pretty angry. Also, the fact that I was not making up the changes could have been verified on the cruise website. I've had very few negative experiences arranging private excursions but I would consider Atlantis to be one of them.

We ended up hiring a private car & driver offered by the ship. Split among four couples it wasn't outrageous, but was a lot more than we'd been quoted by Atlantis. We LOVED Tunisia! Your plan for the day can be done because we did the same routing. I envy Jocelysue, how neat to go to Tunisia instead of Florida and really experience the country, but if you think you won't be going back, give your plan a try. I'd probably skip the souks if I had to slow down a bit, because you can get somewhat the same experience in Morocco or Turkey. Everything else in your plan, to me, is uniquely Tunisian.

Have a wonderful time!!

Thanks Jocelysue for your post - we will be in Tunisia also in Sept. - not enough time there but trying to get the most out of a few hours! We will do Carthage, Sidi Bou Said and the Souk in Tunis if we have enough time! I have noted your good suggestions.

Hubby and I have considered a double Tunisia/Malta vacation and it is still on our list for the future. Where do you stay? We spent 2 weeks in Morocco and Canary Islands a few years ago and absolutely loved it!

Trece - we ended up not using our original tour co. because of them wanting a wired deposit then not being clear about what the procedure would be in case of the ship changing the date - we switched to Malta Travel Net who were much clearer and willing to be flexible in case of itinerary change. They do tours in Tunisia, Malta and Sicily. They answered every email I have sent and every question I have asked - recommended on this board. It wasn't super cheap but I have more confidence in them ....

Will let you all know how it goes in Sept.!

jocelysue - thanks for the tips! Our guide is only taking us to Tunis on the drive back (not as a stop) and that's if we have time. We are going to lunch at La Goulette and then heading to Carthage and Sidi Bou Said. I'm glad you mentioned that it wasn't worth going to Tunis or the Bardo Museum if we didn't have the time (I was feeling torn on what to cut out). I will bring along your tips!

trece - Sorry to hear about your experience with Atlantis. We're going with Tunisian Discoveries -- they were very responsive (called at least 3 times).

Once I return from my trip, I will post on how it went. Can't wait!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Tunisia was a great port. We took some of your suggestions and kept the tour to Carthage, American Cemetary, and Sidi Bou Said. We used Tunisian Discoveries and they came through in every way. They took us to the Carthage Museum, but since we were running short on time, we did not go inside and instead our guide gave us a 15 minute tour of the exterior (still very interesting and beautiful view). The Cemetary was incredible -- just by chance, when we arrived the curator (a retired Marine) had just taken down the US flag and asked for two of folks to help fold the flag. He then gave us a 30 minute tour of the grounds. The view of the Med from Carthage was stunning. Thanks again for everyone's help in planning our trip!

Archived