Zip Ties

OK. I am new at this. Everyone's comments are SO helpful. I keep seeing posts about using zip ties on luggage. This may sound stupid but...do you put the zip ties on before you check your bags? If they are going to search the bags, won't they just cut off the ties? If so, what is the purpose of using them? BTW, just got the last passport this past week. Exactly 15 weeks, and after calling the Passport office everyday for 2 weeks and even calling the Congressman. Thanks for ALL the help and suggestions. Traveling in 1 week. YES!:)

I put the zip ties on before I checked the bags with the airlines. We had one cut off on the return home when my DS's bag was searched. (They put a note in the bag when they search it.) Other than that the rest were intact. I did read somewhere where they said to put another tie on top in the luggage and some inspectors would reseal. I did not do this.

Kathy J

The zip ties (cable ties) can help to protect your bags from being pilfered, unless the pilferer has plenty of time on their hands along with a pair of scissors :rolleyes: . But, your bag may be passed over for the one with no TSA lock or zip ties.

TSA will cut them off if they want to search your bag, but they also replace them with their own zip ties.

I like to use them to make sure the zippers don't slide open. So far, ours have not been removed. We keep a small pair of scissors in the pocket of the suitcase to cut the ties when we arrive to our destination.

Keep electronics and jewelry out of your checked cases, I think sometimes those items can be targeted on x-ray by unscrupulous baggage handlers.

When living in NY, my local airport searched every single bag by hand. They were too small of an airport to get the large x ray machines.

They told me they no longer had the zip lock ties provided to them to replace what they cut off.

I changed to the TSA locks and only had a problem on my first time using them. Of our 4 suitcases, they forgot to put one lock back on after searching it. After that one time, they always came through locked again with the TSA locks.

I do carry an extra lock or two with me just in case it ever happens again for the trip home.

I must have bad luck as this happens LESS than half the time that it is cut open.

I've been fortunate to never have had my bags searched. My info has been from reading experiences from others on this board. You must have suspicious looking luggage :p

Archived