Intro, thank you and questions about Pride of Hawaii...

Scrapchick

Hi there,

My Hubby and I are veteran cruisers who have been lurking here for a while and have learnt so much from you all. We are going on the Pride of Hawaii next week around the Hawaiian Islands. We have heard all the problems associated with this ship and read many of the reviews here, but decided we have enough cruising experience to take the good and discard the rest and will be able to have a great time regardless. We vacation often in Hawaii, usuallly on Oahu, so are pretty familiar with the islands. We have also taken a cruise around the islands before on the Island Princess.

Thanks to you all, we have an air tour booked in Kauai this time, we have a rental car booked at the King Kam hotel in Kona (lasrt time we blew it and booked a car at the airport and never even got to it) and we booked a port side balcony cabin for decent viewing of the Na Pali coast. We are also primed to get on board early and book the specialty restaurants. Can't thank you all enough for the helpful advice... You're our first port of call (haha) for advice and info on any cruise we are considering.

A couple of questions...

1. We are traveling with our daughter, who will turn 6 the day before we get off the ship. She is an experienced cruiser and loves it. Has anyone cruised on POH with young kids? Can you tell us anything about facilities on board, or how many other kids we might expect? Will there be in port babysitting? As she will be 5 at the start of the cruise but 6 at the end, which agr group would she go into?

2. Fitness center... Hubby and I are gym rats, but hardly any reviews ever mention the fitness center... Can anyone tell us if it is any good??? Are any classes offered, given how much time is spent in port on this itinerary?

Thanks so much.

I just wanted to welcome you to the boards although I won't be much help to you. Maybe some others will chime in.

I don't travel with kids but NCL does state that the age on the start of the cruise is the age for the cruise. Most say they are very strict about it and a few say they are not.

I haven't been on the PoH but have been on the PoAl twice. There were a few classes and such in the fitness center on that ship but not near what you would have on a ship without all that port time.

We were on the Pride of Hawaii in April. We didn't have any kids with us but checked out the kids club for our grandkids. We hope to bring them next time. It looked like the typical cruise kids club and the kids seemend to have a great time.

Yes, there is a fitness center with a nice variety of machines and a few free weights. They also offer the usual classes and also some pay extra classes like yoga.

Hope this helps!

Archived