BAD St. Martin Jewerly store..."ULTIMATE Jewelers"

:mad: Bought a blue diamond ring from this store. A diamond Fell out when we got back to the ship but too late to go back. The next morning 2 other diamonds fell out so called this store when we got to St Thomas. They told us to send it back when we got home. We did and they put diamonds back in and sent it back after a few weeks. Within 2 weeks more diamonds fell out of the ring. I called again (plus a high phone bill) and they said that if we send it back they will put a brand new ring in the mail as soon as they receive the one in the mail. Well.....it is a few weeks again and NO ring. We called and they said they would get back to us and they have not. They do not have nice jewerly and they do not have good customer service. So it looks like I am out a ring and money. They are called ULTIMATE JEWELERS and located at 47-B Front street in St. Martin. I WOULD NOT GO TO THIS STORE....just want you to beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

I WOULD NOT GO TO THIS STORE....just want you to beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Well, let me put it this way -- I am a Diplomate Gemologist of the GIA and a jewelry appraiser with over 20 years experience. I WOULD NOT GO TO ANY JEWELRY STORE in the Caribbean - -I would seriously recommend that major purchases be made at a reputable local jeweler who will solve problems like this face to face.

In the Caribbean we buy t-shirts and coffee mugs.

;)

NOPE...Paid cash. Actually bought it for my mom who is sick and could not get off the ship. It was bought to remember the cruise . Only paid $235.00 but it is the point that the jewerly is really no good at that store. Just want to pass on my experience so no one else goes there.

Well, let me put it this way -- I am a Diplomate Gemologist of the GIA and a jewelry appraiser with over 20 years experience. I WOULD NOT GO TO ANY JEWELRY STORE in the Caribbean - -I would seriously recommend that major purchases be made at a reputable local jeweler who will solve problems like this face to face.

;)

I kinda have to agree ...I have had one good experience and on nightmare and still going...and I don't think it is worth the hassle of not knowing for sure what your getting.

I think you can get good deals in the states ....

Better quality!

If it sounds too good to be true, then IT IS!!! There really aren't that many "bargains" in fine jewelry. If you are planning to purchase something large and costly, do your homework first! Find out exactly what you want to buy and compare it at a local jewelers before you leave home! That way, you'll know if it's a true "bargain". They can teach you what to look for, as well. Even if you do get a good price on a nice piece, it's not wonderful if you are so far away, that you can't get service or take advantage of any warranty!

i have to disagree...i've bought jewerly from diamonds international and cardows.... the oldest piece of have is from 2000.... i never take my rings off, just to clean...i have not had any problems....i even take my jewerly that i have bought to a jeweler (kay) and have them inspected every 6 months....never lost a stone or even a lose one.....

I'm glad to have read this because we will be going there soon and everyone talks about the good deals. Which might be great sometimes, but if end up with a lemon, you basically have no recourse or a big headache. Much easier solved if you had bought from a local retailer who cares about his local image than some store keep who got one over on someone from across the water. And doesn't realize they are on a very extensive message board. Please tell use what store!

:) My wife has purchased many pieces of jewellery in St. Thomas and Cozumel over our last 15 cruises in 7 years and we had nothing but excellent service and quality. We have a local gemolist and personal friend who never fails to appraise our purchases anywhere from 50% to 250% more than our purchase price. Our jewellery store in St. Thomas has taken rings with defects back and returned them to us here in Canada promptly FedEx ppd. would highly recommend Asantas in Drakes Alley, St. Thomas - see Sakina a real charmer!:D

You basically save sales taxes in these stores.You have bigger selections in the Carib but we found that you can't beat places like Sam's Club in the states on diamonds.Jewelry has huge markups and will appraise for 2/3 times what you pay.It would be nice if appraisals would be closer to the real price.A diamond ring at Sams that cost 1800 appraised for 5750 but we know we could not sell it for half that.We walk the Boardwalk here and see all the Jewelry stores have signs claiming 60% off plus another 10%.Though the cost of cruising is somewhat a bargain its not worth the risk for a possible small savings to waste or time in port shopping for jewelry---------BT

:mad: Bought a blue diamond ring from this store. A diamond Fell out when we got back to the ship but too late to go back. The next morning 2 other diamonds fell out so called this store when we got to St Thomas. They told us to send it back when we got home. We did and they put diamonds back in and sent it back after a few weeks. Within 2 weeks more diamonds fell out of the ring. I called again (plus a high phone bill) and they said that if we send it back they will put a brand new ring in the mail as soon as they receive the one in the mail. Well.....it is a few weeks again and NO ring. We called and they said they would get back to us and they have not. They do not have nice jewerly and they do not have good customer service. So it looks like I am out a ring and money. They are called ULTIMATE JEWELERS and located at 47-B Front street in St. Martin. I WOULD NOT GO TO THIS STORE....just want you to beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

Please e-mail me at azlaura01@yahoo.com

I e-mailed Bernard who does tours in St Martin for the cruise ships and he said he will go personally to that jewelry store and try to intervene for you.

Laura

On one of our visits I bought a gold bracelet in St. Maarten. After returning home I brought it to a friend who is a jeweler. He gave me an appraisal price as well as what he would sell it for if he had it in his store. I paid considerably less for it in St. Maarten. I also bought a watch on my last visit to St. Maarten. The same model was being sold on the ship so I had a reasonable idea of what it should cost. Again, the savings was significant on the island.

The bottome line is do your homework before you go to any jeweler in the Caribbean.

We have purchased several thousand dollars worth of jewelry from Kay's Jewelers in St. Maarten (not the chain store) and have wonderful luck with all the pieces.

My wife had a small channel set diamond fall our of her wedding ring and they replaced the entire ring for us no questions asked. They are a family run store; 2 in St. Maartens, 1 in St. Kitts and 1 in Aruba.

I highly recommend them and will continue to purchase jewelry from them.

All pieces have appraised at home for way more then we paid for them.

I'm so sorry to hear about your disappointing experience. Cruises are supposed to leave you with only pleasant memories.

I feel fortunate that before our first cruise in 1991, I was advised that the prices in St. Maarten are better than on St. Thomas. At lunch one day a woman was commenting that she fell in love with a bracelet in St. Maarten and waited to buy it until St. Thomas. She wasn't able to afford the price there.

Just like every city in America, there are reputable retailers, and snakes. We've worked with a jeweler (Joe's Jewelry) in St. Maarten since that first cruise, and have been very pleased. We've purchased diamonds, sapphires, tanzanite (before it was "in"), semi-precious stones, gold, and watches. Our stateside jeweler has been amazed at the prices, and commented he can't even get those prices.

I do have a habit of looking at jewelry all the time (just ask hubby!), and I'm comfortable making true comparisons.

One of my best bargains was a 1 carat emerald pendant in 18 karat gold, with a diamond accent. I purchased it at Columbian Emeralds in Aruba in the early-mid 90s for $285, it appraised here at close to $3000. Lately, though, I'm not really finding any bargains at Columbian Emeralds.

I'm so glad Laura has arranged to have someone intervene on your behalf. Hopefully the story will have a happy ending!

Carla

I have only bought loose stones in the Caribbean - I was able to get an accurate carat weight on them and see them through a scope. I have bought two tanzanites and two tsavarities for prices far better than I could have found here is the USA, but I did bring them home to be mounted and set by a local jewelry designer. Best of both worlds....

ME AGAIN..............Laura, that would be great if your friend can help. How sweet of you to consider it for me.

I do want to add that I bought a beautiful ring at "SPLASH" in St. Martin for myself and it was appraised over double back at home. This store I do reccomend.

The reason I posted the original post was because when I was looking on here no one had much to say about the stores. I just had to share!!!!!!!!!!!

To the OP, so sorry to hear of all of this. You certainly don't need all this aggravation. However, with all due respect, if the diamond falls out, it is the setting, correct? Could you not have had the stone reset at home, and saved the money on phone calls and mailing it back twice?

Hope things work out for you.

Is this one of the stores recommended by RCCL's shopping expert at the on-board shopping seminar and in the shopping flyer for each port? If so, aren't those jewelers "guaranteed" by RCCL? I could be totally wrong, so perhaps someone here knows.

ME AGAIN..............Laura, that would be great if your friend can help. How sweet of you to consider it for me.

I do want to add that I bought a beautiful ring at "SPLASH" in St. Martin for myself and it was appraised over double back at home. This store I do reccomend.

The reason I posted the original post was because when I was looking on here no one had much to say about the stores. I just had to share!!!!!!!!!!!

I sent you Bernard's e-mail.

I am hoping the store owner is thinking that Bernard will tell his tourists not to purchase from his store.

Bernard does alot of tours for CC posters.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that this gets resolved for you.

I know Bernard will do his best no matter what.

Laura

My wife also had a good experience in St. Thomas. There was a ring she wanted that was #3,000.00 ( I know over inflated ) But we got them to six hundred and were still not staisified so left. On the way back he saw us walking by and called us in and let us have it for $500.00. Upon return my jewler appraised it at $2,500.00 so for us it was a good experince. Also I found some of the good deals on the ship it self. By the 4th day the manager of the jewlery store on the ship knew me by name when I walked in...

Is this one of the stores recommended by RCCL's shopping expert at the on-board shopping seminar and in the shopping flyer for each port? If so, aren't those jewelers "guaranteed" by RCCL? I could be totally wrong, so perhaps someone here knows.

I've always thought that until this past May our experience on the Explorer..we purchased ring from House of Diamonds (in on board shopping seminar and even the Discovery shopping agent was there when we purchased (Anna) got back to the ship and noticed the diamond was cracked another chipped...went back to the store and can you believe said did you hit it on something.....my dh said I still have my finger.

No imagine what kind of hit it would of taken to crack and chip a diamond.

Anyways...we let the agent from RCCI know our problem because the guy told us we would have to send it to the NY office and get it repaired.

We did a claim and have never heard anything from RCCI or Anna like she promised she would keep up with us...gave us her email...well it always comes back she didn't pick up her email ...something like that I forget exactly what it says.

But anyways after phone calls and sending ring back we are working on our 3 ring to get it right and still no ring yet, has been a nightmare experience...so don't hold your breath on being covered if on board shopping store....like they claim so much in their seminar

Archived