Juneau Excursions, have you done these?

CALMOM

O.K. this will be our first time to Alaska (Princess Island 9/3) so we really need any feedback we can get to help us make decisions. There are 6 of us in the group, 2 @ age 50, 2 @ age 77 (active 77) and 2 @ age 55. We will be there for about 12 hours. Flying is out of question since 3 of us are scared of flying. Our interest in Juneau is Whale Watching & Mendenhall Glacier.

We would like to book the Marv & Harv Whale Watching and Mendenhall Glacier Canoe Adventure.

My questions are:

1. Do we have time to do both excursions?

2. How wet will we get on the Canoe Adventure?

3. Is it better to do Whale Watching in a.m. or p.m.?

4. Have you been on these excursions & your

feedback.

5. Can you recommend better excursions & why?

6. Is there a lot to see in town & how much time

should we allow?

Thank you in advance for your feedback, I have relied on this board for so much guidance and it hasn't let me down yet.

In June we went on the whale watching and Salmon bake tour. We booked this tru NCL. Our tour was for Am. We were able to see several whales, both Orcas and Humpback. After the tour half of the boat went to the Glacier and the rest of us went to the Salmon bake. At the Salmon bake I had the best fresh Salmon that we ate all week.

We went with Harv and Marv in May and had a wonderful time. Contact them quickly if you're interested, as I've read several posts mentioning that they were booked up when the poster contacted them. If you're interested in doing both whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier, Harv & Marv can probably combine them for you.

We stopped at Mendenhall Glacier on our way back from whale watching, spent a short period of time (maybe half an hour, tops) there, and then they took us back into Juneau. Mendenhall Glacier is quite close to where the whale watching tour starts from (Auke Bay), and I hadn't even realized we'd be stopping there. If you want more time at Mendenhall, you might be able to have them leave you there and catch one of the buses back into town -- I'm just not sure how the one-way bus fare would work.

As far as morning or afternoon, I'm not experienced enough to have any idea. We didn't get into Juneau until 2 PM, so we booked an afternoon trip.

We went with Harv and Marv in May and had a wonderful time. Contact them quickly if you're interested, as I've read several posts mentioning that they were booked up when the poster contacted them. If you're interested in doing both whale watching and Mendenhall Glacier, Harv & Marv can probably combine them for you.

We stopped at Mendenhall Glacier on our way back from whale watching, spent a short period of time (maybe half an hour, tops) there, and then they took us back into Juneau. Mendenhall Glacier is quite close to where the whale watching tour starts from (Auke Bay), and I hadn't even realized we'd be stopping there. If you want more time at Mendenhall, you might be able to have them leave you there and catch one of the buses back into town -- I'm just not sure how the one-way bus fare would work.

As far as morning or afternoon, I'm not experienced enough to have any idea. We didn't get into Juneau until 2 PM, so we booked an afternoon trip.

Thank you, what a great idea to find out if we could get Mendenhall included with Whale Watching. Thanks again.

Thank you, what a great idea to find out if we could get Mendenhall included with Whale Watching. Thanks again.

However, the Mendenhall canoe tour is not a walk up and mostly ship contracted.

Most independents, will drop off/pick up at Mendenhall glacier. Otherwise, if you go to both without cobooking- you are adding at least an hour in shuttle time.

It makes no difference on when you book a whale watch tour. They are in the water 24/7 and eating most of that time- humpbacks, which are the most likely sightings.

Hi Calmom

I was condering doing the Harv and Marv whale watching but my husband is very adamite on us NOT doing an independent tour :(. We are doing the whale watch and salmon bake (until I decide to change this tour!). We have seen the Mendenhal glacier and we are not interested in seeing it again.

Hi Calmom

I was condering doing the Harv and Marv whale watching but my husband is very adamite on us NOT doing an independent tour :(. We are doing the whale watch and salmon bake (until I decide to change this tour!). We have seen the Mendenhal glacier and we are not interested in seeing it again.

Come on Minybear, lets book the Harv & Marv at the same time slot and we can go together. There are only 4 of us booking it from our group, so there would be 2 more slots available (Each boat holds 6 people). Email me direct if you want, cabru@aol.com (just identify yourself in subject so I know it is you). I have heard so many good things about this tour.

However, the Mendenhall canoe tour is not a walk up and mostly ship contracted.

Most independents, will drop off/pick up at Mendenhall glacier. Otherwise, if you go to both without cobooking- you are adding at least an hour in shuttle time.

It makes no difference on when you book a whale watch tour. They are in the water 24/7 and eating most of that time- humpbacks, which are the most likely sightings.

Thanks BudgetQueen, I think you just saved me same money.:) I will just book Harv & Marv.

Come on Minybear, lets book the Harv & Marv at the same time slot and we can go together. There are only 4 of us booking it from our group, so there would be 2 more slots available (Each boat holds 6 people). Email me direct if you want, cabru@aol.com (just identify yourself in subject so I know it is you). I have heard so many good things about this tour.

I will definately email you (my email is carhodes01@msn.com) on this but I need to have others on cruise critic help me convince my husband doing an independent tour is "OK" instead of doing a ship sponsored tour where the cruiseship looks after you.

Minybear

I will definately email you (my email is carhodes01@msn.com) on this but I need to have others on cruise critic help me convince my husband doing an independent tour is "OK" instead of doing a ship sponsored tour where the cruiseship looks after you.

Minybear

I usually book through the cruise line to ensure I will never miss the ship. However, if your do a search on CC for Harv & Marv, he will see all the positive reviews. I like the fact that there are only 6 on a boat, you don't have to bend over other people to take pictures plus from what I hear Harv & Marv have so much knowledge about Alaska & Juneau. I feel very safe booking outside the cruise line with Harv & Marv. If you noticed by my other threads all other excursions are booked directly through the cruiseline. Please tell DH I would love for the two of you to join us. I will email you a direct website for FAQ on Harv & Marv website, that should answer any of his questions.

Minybear

Four cruises, lots of tours, none ship-booked, and ALL have been fabulous, and we were very well looked after. Never ANY indication that we would not make it back to the ship, nor problems transfering to/from the tours since we follow advice from the operator for ship-to-tour transfers.

These folks want to stay in business, they want your business, and for you to recommend their tours to others, so it IS their business to take care of you.

Four cruises, lots of tours, none ship-booked, and ALL have been fabulous, and we were very well looked after. Never ANY indication that we would not make it back to the ship, nor problems transfering to/from the tours since we follow advice from the operator for ship-to-tour transfers.

These folks want to stay in business, they want your business, and for you to recommend their tours to others, so it IS their business to take care of you.

Thanks I will have him look at this post prob Friday since I will not see him until Then.

CALMOM

I told my husband this independent tour operator is very recommended but he wouldnt listen to me. Hopefully with others and their comments we can do this tour instead of the one I have scheduled.

I am a HAL Zuiderdam leaving on thr 14 and was think about booking the whalw watching and glacier tour. but think i am switch to the hal and daie (is that one you all have been writing about) Can I have there web site?

We are being dropped off at Mendenhall Glacier Visitors Center after going whale watching with Harv and Marv. Does anyone know when the last bus leaves the Visitors Center? We will be there Sept. 10th. TIA!

leaving on july 14 my husband want to take the ships tours... he worries about missing the shiip if there is a problem... So has anyone taking the HAL wale watching tour I think we will go to the glacier on our own. Also how about the train tour .....in KEtckiak ( i think) thats the stop

If anyone is reading this, can you tell me anything about the Sled Dog Discovery and Musher's Camp tour? I booked that as one of two shore excursions last night. I am a dog lover, so that is why I booked it. It sounded interesting. Also, I am NOT going up in a little plane even if it is safe. ;)

I booked the 8:30 a.m., but I am wondering if I should go that early. Is there a lot to see in Juneau if you just walk around after the tour? I ask because otherwise maybe I will take a slightly later tour.

I always book independent and have not had a problem even in tendered ports. That is really the only risk I think you take is if you are in a tendered port and have an early booking. Even then I have found if you go to the tender line about 30 minutes early I have gotten off on the first tender. Two years ago in Juneau we booked a mini van and a driver that we found right on Main St. They gave us a wonderful tour of the city and area including the Mendenhall Glacier and the small church at the college (a must see) that the alter looks out over a mountain lake surrounded by snow capped mountains. Not sure what the name is.

the small church at the college (a must see) that the alter looks out over a mountain lake surrounded by snow capped mountains. Not sure what the name is.

This is Chapel on the Lake at Alaska U., and the view is Mendenhall Glacier.

I have taken a combined trip with the cruise ship that included Mendenhall Glacier, a fantastic whale watching trip, and a stop at Orca Point Lodge for barbequed salmon to die for. Orca Point Lodge is on an island, and you eat overlooking this beautiful setting with the water, and mountains in the background, plus the trees around the lodge. It made for a positively lovely day, and we still had time to walk around a bit after the excursion.

This is Chapel on the Lake at Alaska U., and the view is Mendenhall Glacier.

Thanks, I didn't know what it was called but the photo I have has been the desktop on my computer since I came back!!

740735868_Matt137.jpg.0001a39956b5aab07163921e28f59939.jpg

Archived