10% in 3 months

RB Bonzo

Thanks RB- that is very encouraging. You really did your homework! By the way, I snuck a weigh in this morning and I am now in your 3lb club! I know the first week is usually the best weight loss, but I now just need to lose 15 by my October 6th goal.

Welcome to all the new 10%ers!

Thanks RB- that is very encouraging. You really did your homework! By the way, I snuck a weigh in this morning and I am now in your 3lb club! I know the first week is usually the best weight loss, but I now just need to lose 15 by my October 6th goal.

Welcome to all the new 10%ers!

CONGRATS Annie on your weight loss! You are all doing so great and are an inspiration to me. I lose weight incredibly slowly and I only want to lose 20lbs so I don't expect to get to the 3lb mark very quickly but from watching you all I see it can be done. Keep up the great work!

:)Cherie

Hi Ten Percenters!

Seems like a common theme yesterday was keeping the weight off once you lose it. I've lost and re-gained so many times, that this is something that really worries me, and I have given a lot of thought to how to keep on track and how to keep it off. I came across a few articles about the National Weight Loss Registry. Participants in the study have lost a minimum of 30 lbs and kept it off for at least a year. These are the people who have defied the odds and maintained their weight loss.

How do they do it? The study shows that they have some things in common:

Findings from the registry suggest six key strategies for long-term success at weight loss: 1) engaging in high levels of physical activity; 2) eating a diet that is low in calories and fat; 3) eating breakfast; 4) self-monitoring weight on a regular basis; 5) maintaining a consistent eating pattern; and 6) catching "slips" before they turn into larger regains. Initiating weight loss after a medical event may also help facilitate long-term weight control.our things in common:

Here is an encouraging statistic - if you keep the weight off for 2 years, your risk of regaining it is cut by half.

A few folks mentioned that they are having difficulty working exercise in to the program. Here is a real eye-opener. Participants in the study spend, on average, over an hour in moderate level physical activity daily. Only a very small percentage (about 4%) was able to achieve and maintain weight loss by diet alone.

Great Info!! I can see that at least with me this info is very true. I'm not one of those lucky ones that can keep the weight off with just diet, I MUST exercise. I live in the Las Vegas area and it is HOT here too so outside exercise is out of the question for me so I joined a gym. I do go usually 5 days a week though if there happens to be a cool day outside I will take a walk instead. What is each of your biggest weaknesses? Mine is sticking to the low fat part of my diet. Any advice in that department would be appreciated because that definitely is what takes me down when I find myself off track.

Have a fantastic weekend everybody!

What is each of your biggest weaknesses? Mine is sticking to the low fat part of my diet. Any advice in that department would be appreciated because that definitely is what takes me down when I find myself off track.

Have a fantastic weekend everybody!

Cherie -

My problem in the past has been dealing w/ imperfection. I try to do too much too soon, and if I falter, I get frustrated and revert to old habits.

My strategy for dealing with that problem is to stop focusing on goals and to start focusing on living a sustainable lifestyle. Weight Watchers has been very helpful in that regard.

RB,

I agree, you certainly did your homework! Some of the facts you have shared I have heard somewhere or another, but you did such a thorough job, thank you. It all boils down for me to putting my health first and do what I know is best. Just really tempting to fall into old habits when stressed or social events come up, which is often. When I am in the "zone" one thing that I tell myself and it helps..."Nothing tastes as good as thin feels".

Thanks for your info.

Underthestars13

Alright! We're rolling now.

Remember everyone that the weight came on gradually so it will best go away gradually too. No rushing things. Though I was pleased to see the scale really drop down this morning. I am down too much to even report bacuase it may be a fluctuation in water weight or something. We have this thing called Art Fair all through town where I must have walked 20 miles over the past couple days. Seriously.

I'll see how the weekend goes and report weigh-in on Monday.

ed

:):) Congrats Ed!

I love it when that happens! You never know, sometimes a jump in loss of weight is right on, like you have been doing well with habits but weight has stayed the same for a while and then, boom, you lose it!

Good luck,

Underthestars13

Here's a challenge - take your current weight and subtract 10% - that is your "goal" to reach in the next 4 months. Unless you weigh much more than 250 lbs, that should be achievable at a healthy rate of loss of 1-2 lbs/week. Join in at any time, and post your progress each week, either as your weight or as a running percentage lost. Who wants to give it a shot?

Hi Everyone this seems like a great bunch of people, have lost about 24lbs since April but the weight loss has really slowed recently and I have been starting to slip back into old habits.

Seems you people may be just what the doctor ordered for me. I will weigh in tomorrow morning and come back and advise on weight loss needed for me to reach goal. But consider me in for 10% by our cruise Nov 4th (actually 3rd cuz we are heading to Galveston to start vaction on the 3rd).

I enjoyed reading this thread hope everyone had a great weekend and I will post tomorrow.

Thanks,

Sheila

Hi all,

I'm new on this thread..and I have started WW (on my own) I had gone before and lost 43 pounds and then of course gained it back and even more! I started on 06-14-07 and have lost 11.4 pounds so far. So another 11.4 pounds and I will be at my 10%!!

I just can't believe how much weight I had gained in 4 or 5 years....but now I am eating better and I feel so much better already...

I'm hoping the motivation from all of you will help me keep it up!

Hi There everyone!!

Count me in too for the 10% club!!!

I started my New Way of eating just this past monday, so when i weigh tomorrow i will let ya know how i did.. no bread no sugar way of life.

I think i will get my own scale. ours wore out, and i have been going to the local grocery store. they have one of those BIG scales at the front door... where everyone can see what you weigh....lol makes ya feel like you are a half side of beef standing up there, watching that big hand move round to the number you belong on. (weight) ahahahaha....

Im 5'4", 209 lbs....50 yrs old... :eek:

will check in tomorrow sometime with my new number!!!

GOOD LUCK all you loosers!!!

diane

Well I have lost 20lbs since April and starting back today

I weighed this morning at 177 I am 5'5 and about to be 39 need to finish losing before I turn 40.

So my 10% would be 17.7lbs we will call it 18 for simplicity. I hope I lose more but 18 would be great by my Nov 4th cruise. Especially seeing as I was about to tip 200 when I started this mission in April (actual weight in April when I started was 197, I have lost 20lbs so far WOOHOO)

Goal weight by Nov 4th would be 159 to make 10%.

So I will weigh in again on Thursday I weigh twice a week so I can watch my weekend eating.

Sheila

Good Morning 10% loosers!

RB I think you've started something good here!

Cherie- you asked about hints on avoiding the fats? Have you ever checked into the Atkins WOE? Your body needs some fat. The diet is pretty much cutting out the white stuff, you know, flour and sugar and starches. You can eat liberal amounts of protien such as chicken, beef, fish and eggs. You can have 3cups of salad with full fat dressing per day.

You can have deviled eggs made with full fat mayo. It is pretty much eating what God put here for us...no McDonalds in the Garden of Eden:D

It seems to work for me and it does help you lose in all the right places.

swtpnk- you said that you are 50yrs old and 209? This may be just the ticket for you. Not everyone can just give up cereal and bread, but if you give it a try you may just surprise yourself. You see, after aq few days of no bad carbs you don't seem to be hungry. What happens is your body will burn what carbs you do have and then switch to burning stored fat when there are no carbs left to burn.

On the other hand, WW seems to be a good diet for lots of folks.

I just happen to like meat and salad, don't mean I don't like my bread and cereal, I just try to avoid them when on Atkins. My big weekness is wine, I have to have a glass when I am cooking. Wine is low in carbs, but your body will burn the alcohol before it will burn the fat:rolleyes:

Ed-congrats on your weight loss. I can't believe you won't tell us how much you lost! Maybe you will give us a full 2week report next Monday?

Sheila- 20lbs is wonderful! You go girl! 159 by your next cruise, I know you can do it;)

Hi 10% Team!

DH and I had our first week weigh in this morning - He's down 8 lbs! :eek: (3.5%) And

I'm down 6! (3 %) :D Of course the first week is usually the best - it's the weeks to come that take will power and CC Lose Before You Cruise threads of encouragement! LOL But I like the idea that we are on the 3 lb list! Yea!

Ed, Sheila, swtpnk,neverpar, Annie and everyone else that is trying to shed the pounds (however many it is to reach your goal) and take on a healthy lifestyle that will change your life for the better!! :)

Have a great Monday!

I am so happy to have found this group !!! RB, thanks for all the info...I also read another thread by you...the one you restarted about a year later. You have shared a lot of info and provided encouragement for those of us who constantly struggle with our weight.

On to the good news!!! I lost 1.4% of my weight this week. That was a good loss for me since I have already lost 20 pounds, but had hit a plateau for 3 weeks. I think joining the 10% challenge helped "jump start" my WOE again.

Thanks to all the other posters, too. I know I have to pick up the pace on my exercise. Good luck everybody...Together we can do this!!!!

I am so happy to have found this group !!! RB, thanks for all the info...I also read another thread by you...the one you restarted about a year later. You have shared a lot of info and provided encouragement for those of us who constantly struggle with our weight.

On to the good news!!! I lost 1.4% of my weight this week. That was a good loss for me since I have already lost 20 pounds, but had hit a plateau for 3 weeks. I think joining the 10% challenge helped "jump start" my WOE again.

Thanks to all the other posters, too. I know I have to pick up the pace on my exercise. Good luck everybody...Together we can do this!!!!

That's a fantastic week after you've already lost 20 lbs!!!

it is great that we are able to find support by sharing this info with each other. I have found that writing about the experience is a good way for me to stay focused on what I am trying to accomplish. Maintaining focus is such an important part of the battle. Thanks, Swansonia!!

Hi there,

I too want to lose wight for our cruise in february. I would LOVE to lose it all, which is about 80lbs, but at this point I would settle with any loss. have signed up for weight watchers on line but have already fallen off of the program.Help

any suggestions on how to get and STAY motivated?????:mad:

callies-mom...welcome to the 10% thread. In answer to your question, you've already taken the first step in posting on this board. I find that keeps me motivated to keep trying. You will find all kinds of suggestions and helpful hints, but just checking in with your new cyber buddies will help to keep you on track or like me get back on track. I have been yo-yo dieting most of my adult life and I know that getting it off and keeping it off are two very different things; however, this time I have help from these boards. Who would have thought that some cruise addicts would have found more common ground with a weight loss thread??? I am very happy to have found it.

So callies-mom, what is your plan of attack? Do you have support at home? Like someone on this board said the other day, tomorrow is another day. Just because you've fallen off the plan today doesn't mean you have failed. You didn't gain 80lbs in one day either, so take it 10% at a time. February is 7 months away, so at 10% in 3 months you should be able to lose 23% by cruise time (someone check my math:confused: ) now how does sound? Sounds like maybe you will come close to the 80lbs? Any loss will be good, and just think about the formal shopping you will do after the holidays!

Speaking of formals, some people go out and buy an outfit a size or two smaller than they wear just as an incentive to stay focused, they usualy spend a fortune on it to make the incentive even more important. Now, I haven't done anything quite that drastic, but it is an idea.

Fellas, ya'll wont understand that reasoning;)

Hang in there girl!

Hi there' date='

I too want to lose wight for our cruise in february. I would LOVE to lose it all, which is about 80lbs, but at this point I would settle with any loss. have signed up for weight watchers on line but have already fallen off of the program.Help

any suggestions on how to get and STAY motivated?????:mad:[/quote']

Callie's mom: Since you're doing WW On-Line, in addition to this group, why not check out the excellent boards at http://www.weightwatchers.com - good source for program tips.

There's also a couple of active WW threads on this board - check those out.

Annie - I agree that there's time to do 2X10%, but that would be a lot less than 80 lbs unless you are starting off at 400 - - and if that's the case, there's more to lose than 80 unless you're 10 feet tall!!

But, losing 10% twice would make a tremendous difference in how anybody looks and feels, regardless of where they started!

Help any suggestions on how to get and STAY motivated?????:mad:

Callie's Mom' date='[/font']

Like Annie and RB Bonzo has said - you take it a day at a time! But you need a eating plan and an exercise plan = it all works together! WW works wonders for some people and there are other plans that work for others - find what works for you and stick to it! Ask Questions! Post problems - but be ready for some honest feed back! Most people who have lost a lot of weight but gained it back, they already know what to do - but have a hard time doing it because it's WORK! But you have lots of 'cyber weight loss buddies' here and you need to set a goal..... I'm so glad RB Bonzo started this one because I just said " loose weight" well..... how much in a reasonable time - and by when, another reasonable time! 10% is working for us and it will work for you! And as others are on extra 10% what a great encouragement for those that need to keep at it! Welcome aboard!

Get into a routine - decide when your weigh in day is and keep us posted!

You can do this!

"HELLO Everyone"!!!

Welcome to the 10% club Swansonia!! and Welcome to Callie's mom too!!! Arent these people on here just GREAT!!! Its a 'really nice' thread with such helpful people out there that want to give others a boost.... THANKS Y'all!!!!

Annie~~ I LOVE your math, its kinda like mine. ha ha, and you are right about the NOT wanting the carbs after getting rid of the bad ones i was eating!

RB~~ thanks for keeping us straight with the math. ha ha ha, and thanks for starting this thread!!

NMcruzin~~~ AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!!! WHAT A LOSS!!! 3 cheers for you and DH. Keep up that good work. you are a good team to work together like that.

Swansonia~~ good for you too on your loss!! Don't ya just hate those plateaus?? :mad:

I surely hope i didnt leave anyone out, if i did, i apologize...

Im so glad too that this wonderful thread was started.. I feel like im going to a nightly OE (overeaters anonomous) meeting.. this is wonderful.. i look forward to getting on here and reading everyones posts for the day.. Usually, I sit here and enjoy my friut while reading. my treat for the night...

Today I did my weigh in... lost 3 lbs for the week... was kinda dissapointed, as with WW last yr, the first 2 weeks I lost a total of 11 lbs... oh well, im finding this easier do to.. But then again, NO EXERCISE... like some of you out there, thats my downfall... :( i tried to get all my errands done today, but it started raining too soon. I was even grilling dinner in the rain. hahahahahaha!!!! Tomorrow is another day.. IM GONNA DO IT...

I bought a book today, called Cooking Without Fat.... there is alot of information in it.. when i come across something really good, that could benefit others, I will be sure to post it....

as far as doing the no bread, no sugar thing, im doing mighty fine...no want for either one....(so far). its only been a week, and i think now im gonna try to not use any added fats. like mayo, and oils. butter isnt a problem for me. maybe that will work too.

Could I ask too, does anyone have any good recipes out there they use on a regular basis?? maybe we can trade some of those?? just an idea.

Oh Annie, i loved what you said about the common ground all of us have!! "Who would have thought that some cruise addicts would have found more common ground with a weight loss thread???

But with all of your help, as we sit and read your posts, we will go on, and be successful... Thank you to everyone, we will all do this, and be successful together.....:D

"HELLO Everyone"!!!

Today I did my weigh in... lost 3 lbs for the week... was kinda dissapointed, as with WW last yr, the first 2 weeks I lost a total of 11 lbs...

First - congrats on losing 3 lbs!!!!!

I lost just 2 lbs on my first week on WW, and just 1.5 lbs the second week. I had stayed on program, and I was also a little disappointed because I had also been used to doing better in the beginning. Well - my average loss for the the next 12 weeks was HIGHER than the it was for the first two weeks! Work the program and the program will work for you!! What is far more important than how quickly you lose is establishing a lifestyle that will enable a steady, downward trend. That's the trick to losing it and keeping it off - not quick weight loss.

And, you're off to a good start on your 10% goal!!

Archived