Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thanks so much for asking! Diana did not win this time, but there is always next year. We really appreciate all your extra efforts in voting for her and Gibson. Our hopes are a bit battered, but not everyone can win. The four individuals who did win are so deserving. Their names and faces will be posted next week. Below is the announcement on Facebook.

Thanks again for all your kindness!

Beckie

https://www.facebook.com/NMEDAcom

MCDW, I'm so glad Misty had a good crossing! Loved your details about the crew, the blanket at night, the other passengers. What a great bonding experience for your new dog.

We love transatlantics and hope to take my new Hearing Dog on them in the coming years. In fact, we were booked for Celebrity this October from Rome back to Ft. Lauderdale before we knew the dog was joining us so soon, but we cancelled mainly because the pre-itinerary was complex and long. Taking a 9day Caribbean sailing instead as a test run later this year.

Question - did you take Misty ashore? Was the paperwork difficult for those ports?

Hi Chris, I am also on the Celebrity Reflection from Rome to Fort L., in October. Yes, Misty and I went ashore. All that was needed were the usual shots, a health certificate from our vet and an International health certificate signed off my our vet and the Government vet. The only issue is....from the time of the signatures you only have 10 days to make it to your first stop in Europe. There is a 10 day deadline. Once your dog has made the first stop in the EU, he/she is considered in the EU for the entire time up to 6 months. The rule Does Not Apply to the United Kingdom....there is a little more required to bring your dog there.

Hope that is helpful......Colleen

We were on Celebrity Silhoutte and went from Fort L to Nice, Sicily, Sardinia, Gilbraltor then Rome for a week. The weather was picture perfect except for 1/2 day of rain and big hail.

The staff were wonderful to me and so helpful. The passengers fell in love with Misty and I had offers of dog sitting, grooming etc. Of course, I didn't take them up on there offers, but it was lovely of them to volunteer.

Every night the room steward made up my side of the bed and on the other side put Misty's blanket all squared off with her toys on top. So cute.

I was so proud of Misty. She did really well in such a different environment. And, you know it was really good for us as a new Team. I was the only one she knew and we really bonded more. That was needed because I still love and miss working with little Oz.

How wonderful that your Cabin Steward made-up her blanket for her. We've been very lucky to have some really caring Steward's who have gone that extra mile for Brenda and now Horton.

Your pride in her certainly shows in your writing. I'm sure you miss Oz, as I do Brenny. It's hard in the beginning but will become more second nature as time goes on. I'm so happy for you and Misty and the team that you've become.

Roz, thanks for mentioning the tenders. I had never given a dog-related thought to those floating gangways and tender boats. We do have tender ports on our next cruise. Good suggestion to have second person assist.

You're so welcome. Horton's a bit easier than Brenda [although he's twice her size & weight.] Brenda would start walking backwards the closer I got to the tender. I hated to see her having such ankst over the whole thing. Sometimes, I'd just stay back with her as she got older, it just seemed to stress her out so much!

Thanks so much for asking! Diana did not win this time, but there is always next year. We really appreciate all your extra efforts in voting for her and Gibson. Our hopes are a bit battered, but not everyone can win. The four individuals who did win are so deserving. Their names and faces will be posted next week. Below is the announcement on Facebook.

Beckie

It was not her time to win. Next time!

Hi Chris, I am also on the Celebrity Reflection from Rome to Fort L., in October. Yes, Misty and I went ashore. All that was needed were the usual shots, a health certificate from our vet and an International health certificate signed off my our vet and the Government vet. The only issue is....from the time of the signatures you only have 10 days to make it to your first stop in Europe. There is a 10 day deadline. Once your dog has made the first stop in the EU, he/she is considered in the EU for the entire time up to 6 months. The rule Does Not Apply to the United Kingdom....there is a little more required to bring your dog there.

Hope that is helpful......Colleen

Colleen, thanks for the info.

Hello – another lurker here. I have been reading this forum because I have been lucky enough to have been accepted onto CCI’s waiting list for a service dog. We will be on a transatlantic cruise in November and I have been thinking that would be our last one because it would be too hard to take the dog with us. After I get the dog, we had planned on cruising closer to home.

Questions for Colleen: Did you fly back from Rome with the dog? I thought an overseas flight might be too long for the dog. Also, where does Celebrity put the relief box? Did you have any trouble finding a hotel in Rome that would take the dog?

Thanks so much - I have already learned so much from this forum. Dianne

Hello – another lurker here. I have been reading this forum because I have been lucky enough to have been accepted onto CCI’s waiting list for a service dog. We will be on a transatlantic cruise in November and I have been thinking that would be our last one because it would be too hard to take the dog with us. After I get the dog, we had planned on cruising closer to home.

Questions for Colleen: Did you fly back from Rome with the dog? I thought an overseas flight might be too long for the dog. Also, where does Celebrity put the relief box? Did you have any trouble finding a hotel in Rome that would take the dog?

Diane, CONGRATULATIONS for being accepting into CCI. There's a few of us on this board who are CCI Grads and we know how lucky each of us is to be part such a premiere organization.

Yippee!!!!! Just like Cindy, we followed her & John while he was on the Waitlist and then when she and John went to Team Training. We all got goosebumps and were thrilled when John was matched with Wexler and we still follow her and John through their many cruises and travels.

Now, we'll follow you too. Please Diane keep us all in the loop as your journey has just begun.

When CCI asked what was most important to me in a Service Dog, I said, "he/she MUST travel well!" And, they're very careful to watch and test their pups for that exact "match" of each of their participants. I got really lucky with Brenda who loved car/bus/train/airplane and cruise travel. She never got sick and made each of my trips the best ever. Now, I've got Horton who travels like a gem. He is also very good in all modes of transportation. I love that.

Be sure to let CCI know what you love to do and they'll do their very best to get just the right dog match for you!

Beckie

I'm sorry Diana didn't win - but next year here we come, and we will all happily vote for you again Diana:)

We went to our first puppy class today and met a few other puppies and their puppy walker folk. Gosh I have a lot to learn to help train Aruba, but we both did really well for our first time amongst older pups and she greeted all the other pups really nicely. She was very good going for a potty break before we went inside and I read the signals and we hot footed it out again. Then we were just about to leave and, yes, you've guessed, my fault, I was yapping too much, eye off the pup and off she goes, squat, pee - dawgonn it - all came rushing to my aid, but I was prepared with kitchen roll and floor wipes in my dog walking bag and it was soon cleared up! :eek:

Roz, you talking about CCI matching dogs up with their person, reminded me that they do all sorts of tests with the very young pups to identify their personalities into groups, and from that they know who to place the puppy with for puppy walking and then ultimately match the dog with the Guide Dog Owner.

There is so much more than handing over a puppy for a year with a sack of dog food and saying get on with it! That was exactly how it was 50 years ago, how things have changed.

Colleen, welcome back and I just loved that Misty got her blanket folded for her too! How cute is that! I would be interested to hear how you got on on the flight home too. Good to hear Oz is enjoying his retirement. :)

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend - more tails I'm sure next week! :D.

Roz, have you heard from Cindy? This is not like her, maybe she's away, hope she's OK.

Here I am enjoying some sun - puppy kisses from Aruba xxx

image.jpg.a8abc5b32c78850cb60e1a67144fb6da.jpg

Edited by fairbourne

We went to our first puppy class today and met a few other puppies and their puppy walker folk. Gosh I have a lot to learn to help train Aruba, but we both did really well for our first time amongst older pups and she greeted all the other pups really nicely. She was very good going for a potty break before we went inside and I read the signals and we hot footed it out again. Then we were just about to leave and, yes, you've guessed, my fault, I was yapping too much, eye off the pup and off she goes, squat, pee - dawgonn it - all came rushing to my aid, but I was prepared with kitchen roll and floor wipes in my dog walking bag and it was soon cleared up! :eek:

Roz, you talking about CCI matching dogs up with their person, reminded me that they do all sorts of tests with the very young pups to identify their personalities into groups, and from that they know who to place the puppy with for puppy walking and then ultimately match the dog with the Guide Dog Owner.

There is so much more than handing over a puppy for a year with a sack of dog food and saying get on with it! That was exactly how it was 50 years ago, how things have changed.

Colleen, welcome back and I just loved that Misty got her blanket folded for her too! How cute is that! I would be interested to hear how you got on on the flight home too. Good to hear Oz is enjoying his retirement. :)

Wishing everyone a lovely weekend - more tails I'm sure next week! :D.

Roz, have you heard from Cindy? This is not like her, maybe she's away, hope she's OK.

Here I am enjoying some sun - puppy kisses from Aruba xxx

Oh! Aruba, you are such a sweet, dear little girl. I love watching you grow. Your Mom told us about your little accident......Whoops! I promise you'll learn to "hold it" longer and longer, you're still very young. Don't be embarrassed it's just an accident.

I had to wait an extra 3 months before I got Horton because when the trainers would put him into a car he insisted on sniffing the door, the seat and the floor before he would enter. He still has to be reminded that the "sniffing" isn't necessary....It's a quick correction and he remembers what he has to do. Isn't that a funny quirk though? My older sister has to sniff her books and newspapers before she reads them.....So weird!!!!

And, no I have not heard from Cindy. Cindy, where are you?

Dianne, I am so happy for you! As Roz said, now the journey begins. I've only had my Hearing Dog for three months, and she has enriched my life tremendously. Very exciting times ahead.

I'll be reporting on how things go with Raylene's first cruise in December. We all learn so much from each other.

Fairbourne, if I knew where you lived, I'd sneak in and grab little Aruba and take her home for myself. She's the cutest. I love the photos.

Hi Dianne - Total flights to/from Europe with my retired service dog and my current cutie are 14. I didn't feed either one the morning of the flight and limited the water. Both dogs always slept on the long haul flights. I gave water about 1/2 way though the flight if the nose was dry. Never an accident. Mind you, I rushed through Customs and Immigration and went outside for a quick pee...not me haha...

Celebrity puts the "box" in a corridor that is in a work area for staff. Hardly any staff were ever there.

Yes indeedy, Europe can be a tad challenging finding a place that accepts service dogs.....no laws there like we have in North America. Although most of the major hotel chains do allow service dogs. But, if you want to live more like a resident in the heart of Rome, you will need to do some research. Not sure if I can post the web address where I always stay. If it is ok, I will post the web address...........Does anyone know if it is OK?

Colleen: Misty is just the cutest girl! Love her curly hair and coloring.

Dutravel: Welcome, stick with us. Lots of good info and then of course our antics.

Fairbourne: Ms. Aruba is a sweety pie! Poor little girl was probably embarassed, but not to worry, she will get better and mom will get better reading her girl!

Beckie: Sorry about Diane and Gibson not winning, but like we said, I am ready for next year and will be able to get that voting in quicker.

You're so welcome. Horton's a bit easier than Brenda [although he's twice her size & weight.] Brenda would start walking backwards the closer I got to the tender. I hated to see her having such ankst over the whole thing. Sometimes, I'd just stay back with her as she got older, it just seemed to stress her out so much!

... I was still able to wish you and Morey and Brenda a Happy Hanukkah in Cabo. :)

... I was still able to wish you and Morey and Brenda a Happy Hanukkah in Cabo. :)

You guys have got to hear what she did.....She actually gave an envelope to the crew member [who was handling the tender for our ship], asked him to please deliver it to Morey and me, while she was on a different ship on the dock. When we got back to our cabin the envelope was in the mail holder next to our cabin door. She had no idea what cabin we were in and trusted that the crew member would follow through and sure enough, he did.

Remarkable! It's something I will never forget.

Dianne, I am so happy for you! As Roz said, now the journey begins. I've only had my Hearing Dog for three months, and she has enriched my life tremendously. Very exciting times ahead.

I'll be reporting on how things go with Raylene's first cruise in December. We all learn so much from each other.

Fairbourne, if I knew where you lived, I'd sneak in and grab little Aruba and take her home for myself. She's the cutest. I love the photos.

From North Carolina it would be a very large grab. They live across the "Pond" as they say.

Horton was Puppy Raised in North Carolina by the Esch family, do you know them? I know North Carolina is big....it was Winston-Salem. Then he was sent to Florida and then to Santa Rosa, Calif. These dogs are so amazing in how they can adapt. He knows now that he's in his "forever home" and I will love him forever and for always.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Nope, Roz, I haven't met the Esch family, but happy to know they got Horty off to a good start. He really got around, didn't he?, before landing on the West Coast in his forever home. Whereas my Hearing Dog was the reverse - started on the West Coast as a Guide Dog puppy in CA, trained in Oregon, and flew to the East Coast for her new life.

Yes indeedy, Europe can be a tad challenging finding a place that accepts service dogs.....no laws there like we have in North America. Although most of the major hotel chains do allow service dogs. But, if you want to live more like a resident in the heart of Rome, you will need to do some research. Not sure if I can post the web address where I always stay. If it is ok, I will post the web address...........Does anyone know if it is OK?

Colleen, I checked the forum guidelines. I think it is permissible to provide info on a place you stay to recommend (but not names or links for travel agents.)

I'd be very interested in your Rome recommendation. Any other tips? For example, how receptive are the restaurants and taxi drivers? I love Rome after three visits and would enjoy a return visit.

Nancy (and all of you dear friends) copied in below is a message from Diana and Gibson. Thank you again for voting!

Beckie

Good Morning,

I wanted to take the opportunity to let you all know that I did not win one of the vans given away in the NMEDA wheelchair accessible van contest. This has to be the hardest part for me...telling you all this news. Everyone has so been excited and simply wonderful in their enthusiasm and support. I hope none of you will feel that your votes were in vain, due to me not winning. Rather, they were my ticket to the semi-finals! I would never have been considered without them.

My appreciation cannot be put into words. The overwhelming support of family and friends along with the kindness of strangers is something I will never forget.

It's good to remember that every single entrant was in need of the same thing, accessible transportation and only 4 could go home with it. I'm sure it was very difficult to choose the winners. They will announce the names of the winners (which have already been contacted) next week on the website and the NMEDA Facebook page. Congratulations to those that won!

Thanks Again to all of you that supported me by voting and got me to the semi-finals. Not very many of the entrants got that far. So you see, we did real good. Everyone should be proud. Perhaps there will be next year.

With Love and Appreciation,

Diana & Gibson Stocksdale

"Wearing purple will brighten your day!"