Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

RCCL is now sending you, as soon as you book, a form (3 pages), that must be filled out and faxed back to their Access Department. It asks questions about your disability and special needs.

I only got one page to fill out and fax back to them. What was on your three pages?

Mine was just three yes/no questions (need Braille menus? Need Braille daily newsletters? Have a service dog?) and then a statement of what the person's disability was (had visual impairment on there, so I had to cross that out since that's not my disability) and then a few bullet points of their policies (i.e. they provide a 4'x4' box of Cypress mulch as a potty spot for SDs, all supplies must be at the pier by a certain time on embarkation day, the paper work they need for SDs, etc.). Then it had a place to sign and date it.

I don't have a service dog, but I was intrigued by the post so I read it......very enlightening.....I've never been on a cruise with anyone using a service animal but the info here would certainly be beneficial to all those who may encounter this, and especially those, i'll be nice and call them persons, who have a problem with it or don't understand.

I am amazed at all the things these animals can do....and frankly, I think some dogs, cats, goldfish, etc are actually smarter than people....i know the dogs we had when I was a kid (two show-quality afghan hounds) thought they were humans! Let's just say one of them got into some cupcakes-and carefully rearranged the others on the plate so we wouldn't notice there were a few M.I.A.

Thanks for sharing...and happy sailing **arf**

Let's just say one of them got into some cupcakes-and carefully rearranged the others on the plate so we wouldn't notice there were a few M.I.A.

:eek: Now that's impressive!! :D

My dog's breed is known for counter surfing (although she's only tried it three times in her life [since I've had her, anyway] and not recently), so I'm always reading hilarious stories on the breed list I'm on. Some of them are downright amazing jaw-droppers trying to figure out how on earth the dog got to the items or ate them without setting a booby trap off or whatnot.

I've heard of some dogs who cleaned their bowls of food completely - except the medication their owner hid deep inside the food was left in the bowl! (When I had to give my dog meds, I just pilled her - opened her mouth, threw the pill down her throat, held her mouth closed, rubbed her throat, blew on her nose, and didn't release her mouth 'til she'd swallowed and licked her nose [can't lick without swallowing!]. Easy peasy! I don't have to do that for her heartworm/worm prevention, though, as Interceptor is a tiny beef-flavored pill [about the size of a round Tylenol] that she readily accepts as a treat.)

And, yes, I think my dog thinks she's human sometimes. ;)

I don't have a service dog, but I was intrigued by the post so I read it......very enlightening.....I've never been on a cruise with anyone using a service animal but the info here would certainly be beneficial to all those who may encounter this, and especially those, i'll be nice and call them persons, who have a problem with it or don't understand.

I am amazed at all the things these animals can do....and frankly, I think some dogs, cats, goldfish, etc are actually smarter than people....i know the dogs we had when I was a kid (two show-quality afghan hounds) thought they were humans! Let's just say one of them got into some cupcakes-and carefully rearranged the others on the plate so we wouldn't notice there were a few M.I.A.

Thanks for sharing...and happy sailing **arf**

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our amazing dogs. I have also run into these "so called humans" so it's always nice to see others who appreciate our animals. I can't imagine how your dog got those cupcakes let alone rearranged the others. My dog is more of a floor hugger being only 10 pounds but don't drop any food on the floor because she will have it before it actually hits. If she tried to get the cupcakes she would be sorry because she would have to have a bath because she would have frosting from head to tail.

Quampapetet Valentine is one of those dogs that can eat her way around a pill. Drives me crazy becuse she has allergies and must take anithistimines every now and then. They are bitter and she will do anything but swllow them. She is a Japanese Chin and has kind of football shaped head and no nose to speak of so it is hard to hold her head and get that tiny mouth to open let alone keep hold of it till she swallows and just when you think she has it down she starts her routine and there it is.

Oh well I love her and she takes such good care of me! Guess it's worth the fight some times. LOL

You can't imagine how Monk got the cupcakes?? He was a tall sucker standing on his hind legs......For all the trophies he won, he wanted cupcakes..(they were NOT chocolate!)

He also sniffed out a little leftover liver in the pocket of s sports jacket, opened the closet door and ate it! Swear!!!! He was a riot him!

One more...once my family and my uncles' family were coming home from a show with 2 dogs. Stopped for dinner, parked in front. It was a buffet. We wanted a doggie bag of the SCRAPS on OUR plates....the nasty man said NO Doggie bags from a buffet.

My dad and uncle pointed to the car and said, either we get OUR TABLE SCRAPS in a bag, or we bring the dogs in and let 'em eat. So, we left with ALL our scraps, and some more too!!

Ah the memories.....gotta stop now, I'm all misty!

Quampapetet Valentine is one of those dogs that can eat her way around a pill. Drives me crazy becuse she has allergies and must take anithistimines every now and then. They are bitter and she will do anything but swllow them. She is a Japanese Chin and has kind of football shaped head and no nose to speak of so it is hard to hold her head and get that tiny mouth to open let alone keep hold of it till she swallows and just when you think she has it down she starts her routine and there it is.

If you press the pad of your thumb against the dog's upper gum above and slightly behind the canine teeth, it causes the mouth to open.

If you have another human in the house with you, perhaps one can hold her body and then you can try holding her mouth closed 'til she swallows. (Remember to throw the pill way in the back to the throat - get it past the tongue and she won't taste it, or if you put it far back enough, it forces the dog to swallow when the pill hits, so there's no fuss.)

Alternatively, get a piller. It is a plastic device you put the pill in, insert it into the dog's mouth, and it shoots the pill down the dog's throat.

If you press the pad of your thumb against the dog's upper gum above and slightly behind the canine teeth, it causes the mouth to open.

If you have another human in the house with you, perhaps one can hold her body and then you can try holding her mouth closed 'til she swallows. (Remember to throw the pill way in the back to the throat - get it past the tongue and she won't taste it, or if you put it far back enough, it forces the dog to swallow when the pill hits, so there's no fuss.)

Alternatively, get a piller. It is a plastic device you put the pill in, insert it into the dog's mouth, and it shoots the pill down the dog's throat.

Quampapetet Thanks for the advise. I have tried the throw into the throat trick to unsuccessfully. I have found that if I liquify it and put it with some water into a baby syringe it is much easier. Whatever it takes!

Quampapetet I would love to see your "puppy" I can just see her looking at the cupcakes and deciding how many she can have then moving all of the others around on the plate. Too cute:D

Quampapetet Thanks for the advise. I have tried the throw into the throat trick to unsuccessfully. I have found that if I liquify it and put it with some water into a baby syringe it is much easier. Whatever it takes!

So your pooch thinks she's a baby! ;) As long as the vet says it is okay to do that to the pill' date=' whatever works!

Quampapetet I would love to see your "puppy" I can just see her looking at the cupcakes and deciding how many she can have then moving all of the others around on the plate. Too cute:D

It wasn't my dog that did that, sorry. That was megr1125 who posted about having a dog that did that.

My dog has only attempted counter surfing three times (none recently): lapping up leftover beef stew from a plate left on the edge of the counter by the sink; stealing a muffin from the kitchen table (we were holding a family reunion so there was a lot of food and a lot of ppl about) and eating it on a bed in the closest bedroom (leaving the muffin paper behind); and an unsuccessful attempt to steal a sfogliatella off a kitchen counter when everybody was in the next room watching a game on TV (I saw her doing the paws-up on the counter, scolded her, and she dropped the pastry). But, if you want to see pix of her anyway, you can see some on her Web site: www.thatcutedog.com .

Question for those who have cruised before: What do you put for the address and phone number of where you'll be at on your health certificates? Just the cruise ship's name for the address? And the line's emergency contact phone number?

Also, do you get a different set of certificates for each port you get off at? Or is one set enough?

Meg: What a great story about the cupcakes.....these "furry folks" can be amazing and so diligent when it comes to getting their needs met.

Thanks for sharing your story and especially for your warm regards for our hard working friends!

Quam: The first page of the "form" I mentioned, from Royal Caribbean, asks about Air/Sea Travel/Mobility/Wheelchairs/Visual and the various RCCL policies that relate to each. The second page asks about Hard of Hearing/Deaf, Diabetis/Oxygen needs and their policies. The third page asks about Pregnant/Dialysis and Guests currently undergoing medical treatment. It then has a section for special requests.

This form is for our future Celebrity Cruises (which is owned by RCCL.) And, it is from Royal Caribbean International.

As far as the Health Certificate question, when the forms ask for the address or phone number of where I will be traveling to, I give them the name of the country i.e. Mexican Riviera/Canada/Panama, etc. and the Ship. This has always seemed to be sufficient enough for the 6 cruises "Miss Brenny" has been on.

All the stories of getting pills down the throats of our pals, makes me laugh because, I swear, as long as it's not nailed to the floor, Brenda will eat it!!!!! So, swollowing pills has never been a problem.....thank goodness for that "Lab thing!"

Quam: Is that beautiful black/white dog your service dog? What a cutie pie!!!!!!!!! I don't think I would be able to have him/her around without always smiling!;)

Quam: The first page of the "form" I mentioned, from Royal Caribbean, asks about Air/Sea Travel/Mobility/Wheelchairs/Visual and the various RCCL policies that relate to each. The second page asks about Hard of Hearing/Deaf, Diabetis/Oxygen needs and their policies. The third page asks about Pregnant/Dialysis and Guests currently undergoing medical treatment. It then has a section for special requests.

Wow, definitely not like the one I got! Weird.

This form is for our future Celebrity Cruises (which is owned by RCCL.) And, it is from Royal Caribbean International.

That is strange, especially since the form is from RCCL. Guess maybe it depends on the person you talk to at the time? Well, once I get all my stuff faxed to them (won't be 'til after my girl's annual vet exam this fall so they have a valid rabies, since it is due this year, and the most current titer results), I'm gonna call and ask to make sure they have everything I need to send 'em. If they need to have anything else, I'll have plenty of time to send it.

As far as the Health Certificate question, when the forms ask for the address or phone number of where I will be traveling to, I give them the name of the country i.e. Mexican Riviera/Canada/Panama, etc. and the Ship. This has always seemed to be sufficient enough for the 6 cruises "Miss Brenny" has been on.

"Miss Brenny" - cute nickname! :) I'm glad that'll be enough info. for the certificate. Do you get one for each country?

All the stories of getting pills down the throats of our pals, makes me laugh because, I swear, as long as it's not nailed to the floor, Brenda will eat it!!!!! So, swollowing pills has never been a problem.....thank goodness for that "Lab thing!"

That's great! Mine will eat any food, but she knows the unflavoured pills aren't treats, so will snub them. Anything else, though, she will eat - and then look for more, LOL! ;) (She doesn't eat while working, unless I say she can have a treat I hand her, of course.)

Quam: Is that beautiful black/white dog your service dog? What a cutie pie!!!!!!!!! I don't think I would be able to have him/her around without always smiling!;)

Yup, that's my service dog! :D Thanks for the compliments - I will tell her you said them (not that she needs any more to go to her head, ahahaha!). Yeah, she is really great to have around and she just adores me (as I adore her). :D 'Course, everywhere we go we hear, "What a cute puppy/dog!" "Isn't she the cutest thing?!" "Oh my gosh - she's gorgeous!" and all that - she definitely knows she is adorable!

One time I was brushing her in front of my mirror-door closet and I swear to you she was admiring herself in the mirror as I brushed her, thinking how gorgeous she was!!!!!! :p

Quam: When you say do I get a different Health Certificate for each country? My answer would be that I use the same Health Certificate for different cruises. Unless, we are outside of the expiration date.....because we cruise so often within a year, I use the same certificate for all; for instance:

If I were going to Canada/Alaska in September and then The Mexican Riviera in December and the Panama Canal, in January, I would put all of these countries on one Certificate (because they all fall within the same expiration date.)

As soon as a cruise falls outside of Brenny's immunization dates; off we go to the Vet to get a new one.

We cruise the Riviera often...so, that is the first Country I put on the form. I have left off countries (by accident) and, was never admonished or refused entry.

The completed form was all the Customs Inspector cared about....it didn't seem like the absence of writing down each country was an issue.

I hope this is helpful! And, I do hope our "paws" cross, one day! ;)

Oz is a lover of cheddar cheese. When I need to give him a pill, I cut a small square of cheese, insert the pill and he takes it willingly.

Of course the treats at Guide School were small bits of cheese and also small carrots, so when he sees/smells cheese, he knows something good is going to happen.;)

Quam: When you say do I get a different Health Certificate for each country? My answer would be that I use the same Health Certificate for different cruises. Unless, we are outside of the expiration date.....because we cruise so often within a year, I use the same certificate for all; for instance:

If I were going to Canada/Alaska in September and then The Mexican Riviera in December and the Panama Canal, in January, I would put all of these countries on one Certificate (because they all fall within the same expiration date.)

As soon as a cruise falls outside of Brenny's immunization dates; off we go to the Vet to get a new one.

We cruise the Riviera often...so, that is the first Country I put on the form. I have left off countries (by accident) and, was never admonished or refused entry.

The completed form was all the Customs Inspector cared about....it didn't seem like the absence of writing down each country was an issue.

I hope this is helpful! And, I do hope our "paws" cross, one day! ;)

I'm not sure what certificate you're referring to, but I'm talking about the health certificate that expires in 10-30 days (depending on the receiving country and the form [regular vs. int'l]). The one that the countries take at least one copy from (rip it out of the pack). The one the US requires has to be within 10 days for entry and Mexico (one of my upcoming ports) within 72 hours of travel.

I know they don't look at the forms too carefully (unless it is a vet examining it, such as in the Bahamas), but I wouldn't want to use an old health certificate just in case somebody does know what they're looking for.

I'm hoping by "outside her immunizations" you're not meaning you get your dog vaccinated every year! That is so unhealthy and shortens their lives!

Oz is a lover of cheddar cheese.

My dog LOVES cheese, too! I was just looking at a dog catalog earlier today - the dog.com one, I think - and there is a new baked cheese crumbles treat for dogs out (it is all-natural). I am definitely going to have to order that one! (Uhm, once the current stash of treats dwindles down, that is! I don't give her treats too often, yet couldn't make up my mind which ones to get so got a bunch. Now we have to wait a while before getting any more. Not in my dog's opinion, of course, but mine! Oh, and I highly recommend the Zuke's brand treats [they're all-natural]!)

Hi Quam: I've been so busy with all the "stuff" you have to do, when traveling with a Service Dog (making sure all documentation is in order; picking up Brenda's Otiomax for her ears (she's very proned to ear infections and it's good to have on hand); liquid medicine in swab form, for her eyes and her ears; vitamin tabs and salmon oil; fancy collar/leash for formal nights; bandanas for everyday, her favorite toys, etc.) and it seems the work on my desk just doesn't go away!

I didn't mean to ignore you guys.....There's a "site" that was started by IAADP called "Disaboom", I've posted on it and since it's so new, I thought I'd share some of our travel experiences, etc.

Look into it....and since you all have so much to share, I'm sure they'd love to hear from you!

Hi Quam: I've been so busy with all the "stuff" you have to do, when traveling with a Service Dog (making sure all documentation is in order; picking up Brenda's Otiomax for her ears (she's very proned to ear infections and it's good to have on hand); liquid medicine in swab form, for her eyes and her ears; vitamin tabs and salmon oil; fancy collar/leash for formal nights; bandanas for everyday, her favorite toys, etc.) and it seems the work on my desk just doesn't go away!

Ah, good! I was worried something had happened to ya. It's a greater worry than usual when you're posting on a disability-related board, ya know?

You sound like me, with the special collars for formal events and bandannas for certain days. :) My girl already has a formal event decorative collar (big white rose on a black velvet scrunchie collar) that we've worn to other formal thing(s), but I just found a great little hair bow at a local pet store (one of those cutsie product types) that is black and white and will work great in addition to that collar for formal events like on the cruise! They had it in pink, too, but it worked better in b&w for matching with the collar, even though they both blend in with her really well since she's b&w herself. I need to get an oceany bandanna for her for the cruise. (I do have a fishy one for her, but I save that for our Bahama trips - I want something cruiseish for our cruise!) Our group has a pirate dress-up night and I already found a pirate map bandanna for that (as well as a black leather/pleather baseball hat that I'm gonna put a skull & crossbones image on).

Do you get the free Welactin (salmon oil + a few other good ingredients) from IAADP? We do and it is good.

When do ya go on your cruise? That way I will know not to worry about ya then! :)

I didn't mean to ignore you guys.....There's a "site" that was started by IAADP called "Disaboom", I've posted on it and since it's so new, I thought I'd share some of our travel experiences, etc.

Look into it....and since you all have so much to share, I'm sure they'd love to hear from you!

This is the first I've heard of that (which I'm surprised at, 'cause usually ppl on the SD lists I'm on post stuff like this), but I will definitely check it out! Thanks for the info.!

You are the sweetest......Thank you for caring! :)

We leave on September 29 and then again on November 24th (both on the Golden), and that will finish out our year for cruising. So, I', trying to finish all my work projects before both of them!!!!!

Cruising will resume on January 20, 2008, on the Pride. And, so on!

I was told not to make Brenny look too silly because she is a Service Dog but it so hard to resist making her look "pretty!" I'm glad that you also like to "dress" your girl a bit. I was given some really colorful bandanas, as gifts, for Brenny and because she's so black, they look really nice on her! And, honestly, I think the public appreciates the fact that I show my adoration for Brenny by giving her a bow or two!

I have not gone to IAADP for re-imbursement of Heartguard/Advantix, Glucosamine or her fish oil and I know that I could do this.....I just don't! My Vet would totally go along with filling out the necessary forms, (where applicable), etc. I just have not done it. It's a huge savings......please don't use me as an example for this......Quam is so much smarter than me, when it comes to this! (Notice I won't give up too much!)

Can you imagine the money I could have saved? :(

I'll write a give a review of the "Golden Princess and Service Dogs!"

I have never tried to dress up Valentine but I sure have been tempted.:D Being a small dog that is so cute anyway, I always have to explain as to "why I can bring my pet but they can't". I think it would make it worse. What are your thoughts? I got a catalog they other day that even had Halloween costumes in it. I don't think that I would go that far but she would be cute. Maybe a bow or ribbon might work though. We are going on our first trans atlantic cruise at the end of October but Valentine is staying home with Grandma and Auntie. It's really hard to get them through England and we started a little late. I'm really going to miss her as we haven't been apart except when she had to have surgery on her knee when she was young but I think she will do ok since she has started watching over my mom it will give her something to do. Roz I hope you and Brenny have a good cruise! I'm sure that you will be the hit of with the crew as they all seem to miss their dogs at home.

Valentine.jpg.49f9482ebfcc7bb4c871abee0e6906b3.jpg

Oz had his checkup with is vet today. (A mutual lovefest):D

I took the complete International Health Certificate to the Government of Canada vet for stamping and signature. As you know, it has to be completed within 10 days of travel.

Now, I am packing Oz's essentials for the trip - his food, treats, flexi, backup jacket, water/food bowls and of course his favourite blanket.

We have a couple of days in Ottawa Canada, then 3 flights to get to Victoria British Columbia for a few days. After that, we will take the ferry to Vancouver and go to the cruise ship terminal, for our 9 days cruise.

Getting rather excited, but have a lot of packing to do.:eek:

You are the sweetest......Thank you for caring!

Well, of course I care! You're a cool online buddy! :)

We leave on September 29 and then again on November 24th (both on the Golden), and that will finish out our year for cruising. So, I', trying to finish all my work projects before both of them!!!!!

Will you be on that second cruise for Thanksgiving? (I don't know the date of Thanksgiving this year.) That would be neat! Do they have a big Thanksgiving dinner onboard?

You're lucky to be going on a trip so soon - I cannot wait for February! (I have a non-cruise Bahamas trip in Jan., too, but am not going on any other non-driving trips before then - at least not that I know of as of yet!)

Cruising will resume on January 20, 2008, on the Pride. And, so on!

Hmm, sounds like you really like this whole cruising thing.... :p

I was told not to make Brenny look too silly because she is a Service Dog but it so hard to resist making her look "pretty!" I'm glad that you also like to "dress" your girl a bit. I was given some really colorful bandanas, as gifts, for Brenny and because she's so black, they look really nice on her! And, honestly, I think the public appreciates the fact that I show my adoration for Brenny by giving her a bow or two!

Remember there is a difference between "silly" and "nice"/"gorgeous"! :D I've only ever gotten good comments on any bandannas, collars, or bows my girl has worn. (And ppl RAVE about her MLB baseball team hat when we go to the games! She even got on the regional news station for that last year, hehe. I wouldn't normally put a hat on her in public, but it is appropriate for that situation.) Ppl love that she sometimes dresses for the occassion. And I find it fun, too! (And, yes, she wears a Halloween costume at home when we hand out candy to the li'l neighborhood candy-beggars, I mean children, on Halloween each year.)

I have not gone to IAADP for re-imbursement of Heartguard/Advantix, Glucosamine or her fish oil and I know that I could do this.....I just don't! My Vet would totally go along with filling out the necessary forms, (where applicable), etc. I just have not done it. It's a huge savings......please don't use me as an example for this......Quam is so much smarter than me, when it comes to this! (Notice I won't give up too much!)

Can you imagine the money I could have saved? :(

Oh, you really should! It is so simple to do. For the Welactin, Cosequin/Dasuquin, and that medication the same co. has (only for dogs with a certain problem) your vet just makes a call, faxes in a copy of your membership card, and you get the product(s) in the mail within the week! Cosequin/Dasuquin is expensive stuff ($125+ for six months?), so you REALLY should get it through IAADP if you're giving it - more money for cruising! Welactin is about $15/bottle, I think, but that adds up 'cause I go through three bottles in six months. I don't use either Heartguard or Advantix, so I don't save on those things, but I do get plenty out of my IAADP membership with the other stuff, including the 10% off VCA hospital vet services! (I never did get a check back from Ft. Dodge for last year's leptospirosis vaccination, though. :( )

I'll write a give a review of the "Golden Princess and Service Dogs!"

Cool - I'll be looking forward to it! :)

I have never tried to dress up Valentine but I sure have been tempted.:D Being a small dog that is so cute anyway' date=' I always have to explain as to "why I can bring my pet but they can't". I think it would make it worse. What are your thoughts? I got a catalog they other day that even had Halloween costumes in it. I don't think that I would go that far but she would be cute. Maybe a bow or ribbon might work though.[/quote']

I wouldn't do a Halloween costume out in public (i.e. going shopping or out to eat), but at home we do when we hand out the candy to kids who come to the door. The neighborhood kids get a real kick out of it! This year my girl is gonna be a princess, perhaps using the Minnie Mouse princess ears doggy hat we picked up at Disney, with a doggy princess costume I got for a couple of bucks from a Web store that was having a big clearance sale (got several items for under $10 that normally would've cost more, including a nice leather collar!).

Bows/ribbons are fine - I occassionally put one on my dog. I do bandannas a lot more than bows or special collars, though. Obviously, you don't want something that is gonna be unprofessional-looking, but a bow in the hair won't normally be unprofessional.

Also, sometimes bandannas are useful, like those cooling bandannas that have the crystals in them that hold water so your dog gets cooled by the evaporation. Those are nice if you're going somewhere really hot and/or will be out in the sun all day!

We are going on our first trans atlantic cruise at the end of October but Valentine is staying home with Grandma and Auntie. It's really hard to get them through England and we started a little late. I'm really going to miss her as we haven't been apart except when she had to have surgery on her knee when she was young but I think she will do ok since she has started watching over my mom it will give her something to do. Roz I hope you and Brenny have a good cruise! I'm sure that you will be the hit of with the crew as they all seem to miss their dogs at home.

That's too bad you have to leave her home. :( Yeah, you have to plan a while in advance for England, Ireland, Hawaii, Cayman Islands, and some other places. And, of course, it isn't cheap!

The only time my dog and I are apart is when she goes to the groomer for a haircut. That's a long four hours!! I wouldn't go on a trip I couldn't take her on 'cause I need her. She even recently went to her first wake, funeral, burial, and funeral luncheon when my cousin died a few weeks back. (Hopefully it'll be her ONLY funeral!!) Another cousin's kid is getting married in the spring and that will be her first wedding.

Oz had his checkup with is vet today. (A mutual lovefest):D

My girl loves getting love at the vet's office, too! :D

I took the complete International Health Certificate to the Government of Canada vet for stamping and signature. As you know, it has to be completed within 10 days of travel.

Lucky - for both my Jan. & Feb. trips I have to do it the day before I leave, since Bahamas requires no more than 48 hours before you land and Mexico (the only foreign port I'm getting off at on the cruise) requires no more than 72 hours before you travel (I'm flying into the port city two days ahead, so will have to do it the evening before). Neither have to be taken anywhere, though - the vet just fills it out and signs it.

I did just send away for my Bahamas import certificate, since it takes months to get (they really are on island time there!!).

Now, I am packing Oz's essentials for the trip - his food, treats, flexi, backup jacket, water/food bowls and of course his favourite blanket.

I always take a backup vest, too, even though I don't normally use a vest (I use a mobility harness and pack behind it). I use a Flexi for pottying, as well. Don't forget the poop pick-up supplies (I use Dispoz-A-Scoops)!

Now I need to figure out how to bring her latest toy - it is like a fishing pole for dogs, LOL! You know those cat toys that look like fishing poles that have a toy or sparkly object on the end that you dangle in front of the cat's face just to annoy it (hehe)? It is a dog-sized version of one of those! I can sit in one place (good for my low energy levels) while my dog runs and hops about after the fleece squeaky toy on the end of the rope! :D The pole is too long to fit in my suitcase or my dog's bag, though. I'm thinking of having it stick out of my carry-on backpack - I think it'll fit in the overhead bin, anyway! (It is almost three feet long, but with the last few inches being bendable rubber.) It would be perfect for giving her exercise in the confined space of the hotel room and cruise ship cabin (RCCL D1 balcony).

We have a couple of days in Ottawa Canada, then 3 flights to get to Victoria British Columbia for a few days. After that, we will take the ferry to Vancouver and go to the cruise ship terminal, for our 9 days cruise.

Getting rather excited, but have a lot of packing to do.:eek:

Have a GREAT time!!!!!!