Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

5 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Linda, thank you so much for this teaching moment.   

Horton has NEVER lifted a leg.  He's a total squatter.  And, is a total non-Alpha dog.  He's a huge boy and just a wonderful love of a dog!

I always feared getting a male because of some of these behaviors.  Until I saw a female dog humping another dog.  I was told by a trainer that, like you mentioned, it is a learned behavior and if not stopped will continue.  And, since CCI neuters their dogs while they are quite young [unless they are to become potential "Breeders"], most of these behaviors do not become natural to the pup.

I will ALWAYS want a male.....I just love having a big boy in my home and will request another male when I go in for Horton's Successor.  I got so lucky getting Horton and want a "clone" of him for my future.  That, of course, is totally up to the Graduate Dept.   

Humping is also an alpha behavior.  Females can be and often are alphas.

I just kept an eye on Halo and his buddy, a client daycare dog of mine.  Same exact ages.  Luckily, the mom, now a good friend of mine, respected my knowledge and we decided once the behaviors started we would get them neutered.  Of course, Bear, started the behaviors first, he was and is the alpha.  He was fixed a week before Halo.  Neither exhibits those behaviors now, 3 years later.  We had them fixed at 12 months.

Linda and Halo

1 hour ago, rpclmc said:

Humping is also an alpha behavior.  Females can be and often are alphas.

I just kept an eye on Halo and his buddy, a client daycare dog of mine.  Same exact ages.  Luckily, the mom, now a good friend of mine, respected my knowledge and we decided once the behaviors started we would get them neutered.  Of course, Bear, started the behaviors first, he was and is the alpha.  He was fixed a week before Halo.  Neither exhibits those behaviors now, 3 years later.  We had them fixed at 12 months.

Linda and Halo

Also, the Alpha isn't always the biggest or most handsome dog.  They're just the smartest!  Usually!

18 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Also, the Alpha isn't always the biggest or most handsome dog.  They're just the smartest!  Usually!

Yep.  When I did in home dog sitting, the alpha, when she was there, was a female, 12 pound Jack Russell.  She was a true b**** and the other dogs kept their distance.  She would even climb our 6 foot fences.

She sure kept us on our toes.  Luckily, the owner knew what she was like and NEVER blamed us for her shenanigan's; torn claw, climbed the fence and got sprayed by a skunk, followed a cat into our irrigation pipe for 6 feet.  We felt lucky we never lost her.  Eventually, after the skunk, we put her on a long line that allowed her to come in the house and sun in the front window and explore off the deck in a good portion of the yard, but she couldn't escape.  The owner loved the idea and completely supported whatever we needed to do to keep her safe.

Linda and Halo

2 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

About 45-50 miles, give or take.  Unfortunately, for me to get to Long Beach it means a journey on the 405 Freeway which is  probably the most traveled freeway in the United States.

OK.  Was checking to see if it would be reasonable to try to meet in May.  Nope, not with that kind of drive.  Someday.

Linda and Halo

42 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

OK.  Was checking to see if it would be reasonable to try to meet in May.  Nope, not with that kind of drive.  Someday.

Linda and Halo

I will be in San Pedro on May 30th and June 13, when I disembark and come back from my Alaska cruise.  San Pedro is closer to Long Beach, probably within a half hour drive.

I'm assuming you're taking a Carnival Cruise, since they're the only line that leaves out of Long Beach.  What ship are you taking?   And, where are you going? 

I like Carnival, they treat our dogs very well.  They have absolutely no problem with putting the potty box on our veranda.  They didn't always feel this way but since 2005 they have come around and even provide a nice box with decent filler.

Now, if I could just convince them to do longer cruises, more often, with more perks.  Princess is offering, free gratuities, free drinking packages, free WiFi and more.  The cruise is 14 days, round trip from L.A. Of course their cruise is more expensive but not by much!  And all the perks really make it worth it!  They're just so afraid of placing the box on the veranda.  I have gotten two of their ships [Pacific & Island] to do it but they're not consistent about it, the fight over it is really exhausting!

Just sharing the good experience I've had with Hawaii's government officials for our cruise coming up in about six weeks. I had the pricey blood work taken care of last summer (which is a slow time in Florida). So this week, I emailed the Animal Quarantine Division asking about how much notice they needed to arrange for inspection when arriving in Honolulu via cruise ship versus airport.  [RabiesFree@hawaii.gov]

They were very prompt to reply and suggested I go ahead and send most of the paperwork to get the ball rolling. I sent a 7-page fax yesterday (thank you, Diane for suggested fax format, which I followed with attachment documents including the page from their website database for approved blood test results). Much to my amazement, I had an email today already saying the dog is approved and they will meet the ship at the port of Honolulu to inspect her. So all I need now is her Health Certificate and verification from the vet of flea treatment under 14 days prior to arrival.  

I think it would definitely be more complicated when arriving at a different island than Oahu. In that instance you have to pre-arrange and pay personally for a vet there to do the inspecting, as Roz has done. I lucked out when Holland America announced we would go to Oahu first (instead of Hilo). 

The idea of the Hawaii requirements always seemed like a big deal to me, but it's been much easier than I expected. They seem very organized there - wish other places were like that. So now I can look forward to the trip.

4 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Just sharing the good experience I've had with Hawaii's government officials for our cruise coming up in about six weeks. I had the pricey blood work taken care of last summer (which is a slow time in Florida). So this week, I emailed the Animal Quarantine Division asking about how much notice they needed to arrange for inspection when arriving in Honolulu via cruise ship versus airport.  [RabiesFree@hawaii.gov]

I have also found the Hawaiian Department of Agriculture to be very helpful. It's nice to get the pre-approval for your paperwork; it really lowers the pre-cruise stress.

21 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I will be in San Pedro on May 30th and June 13, when I disembark and come back from my Alaska cruise.  San Pedro is closer to Long Beach, probably within a half hour drive.

I'm assuming you're taking a Carnival Cruise, since they're the only line that leaves out of Long Beach.  What ship are you taking?   And, where are you going? 

I like Carnival, they treat our dogs very well.  They have absolutely no problem with putting the potty box on our veranda.  They didn't always feel this way but since 2005 they have come around and even provide a nice box with decent filler.

Now, if I could just convince them to do longer cruises, more often, with more perks.  Princess is offering, free gratuities, free drinking packages, free WiFi and more.  The cruise is 14 days, round trip from L.A. Of course their cruise is more expensive but not by much!  And all the perks really make it worth it!  They're just so afraid of placing the box on the veranda.  I have gotten two of their ships [Pacific & Island] to do it but they're not consistent about it, the fight over it is really exhausting!

We are going on the Carnival Inspiration May 18-22.  Just a short, booze cruise, my daughter and her boyfriend's 21st birthday celebrations.  It goes to Catalina Island and Ensenada.

I prefer to cruise out of Florida but will be back in Idaho for her graduation in May and her friends are all out that way.

Linda and Halo

52 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

We are going on the Carnival Inspiration May 18-22.  Just a short, booze cruise, my daughter and her boyfriend's 21st birthday celebrations.  It goes to Catalina Island and Ensenada.

I prefer to cruise out of Florida but will be back in Idaho for her graduation in May and her friends are all out that way.

Linda and Halo

Sounds like some fun with family.  Your daughter is very lucky to have such a wonderfully supportive Mom.  It sounds like 4 days of pure joy!

2 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I have also found the Hawaiian Department of Agriculture to be very helpful. It's nice to get the pre-approval for your paperwork; it really lowers the pre-cruise stress.

Yay!  When the paperwork and prep. is all done then the cruise anticipation turns into true fun!!!!

6 hours ago, kmg365suzyq said:

Who did you contact on Princess regarding putting the Potty on the balcony?  Did you do it before you sailed?  We have a Royal cruise in April and Princess in November.  Great living in S. Florida since both Tish and I hate to fly

I contacted Princess Special Services Dept. I faxed and emailed them.  I had my TA contact them and asked that they email and fax the ship before we board, requesting that the box be placed on our balcony.  All of this to no avail.  Once we boarded I went to guest services and they said they would have someone meet me at my cabin.  The woman in charge of housekeeping came to my cabin to show me where the box had been placed; in a stairwell [mid ship].  I intentionally booked an aft cabin so that I would be near the stairwell.  The stairwell's on the Royal are mid ship or forward.  I'm so used to them being in the aft of the ship on Princess.  This is my fault for not researching this further.

The door to the stairwell is extremely heavy.  The walk down the hall means that you have to pass by all the service carts, used by housekeeping.  The halls on Princess ships are very narrow and do NOT allow the passing of wheel chairs or walkers while the carts are out.  Walking Horton to the bathroom was like a one mile hike with obstacles.

I pleaded with the person in charge and she said the best she could do was have a steward walk my dog for me!  Nice gesture, but not very doable!

Since I now realize that part of the box placement may be the resistance on the ships part because they're afraid that the dog may lift his leg on walls, windows or furniture.  I now will try reassuring them that my dog NEVER, EVER lifts his legs and all urine will be trapped in the litter and under an artificial mat, and solids will be picked up and dropped in a closed plastic bag and into a waste container.

6 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

They were very prompt to reply and suggested I go ahead and send most of the paperwork to get the ball rolling. I sent a 7-page fax yesterday (thank you, Diane for suggested fax format, which I followed with attachment documents including the page from their website database for approved blood test results). Much to my amazement, I had an email today already saying the dog is approved and they will meet the ship at the port of Honolulu to inspect her. So all I need now is her Health Certificate and verification from the vet of flea treatment under 14 days prior to arrival.  

I think it would definitely be more complicated when arriving at a different island than Oahu. In that instance you have to pre-arrange and pay personally for a vet there to do the inspecting, as Roz has done. I lucked out when Holland America announced we would go to Oahu first (instead of Hilo). 

The idea of the Hawaii requirements always seemed like a big deal to me, but it's been much easier than I expected. They seem very organized there - wish other places were like that. So now I can look forward to the trip.

You will have a wonderful time.  Get your camera ready for the most amazing rainbow views.  Rainbows love Hawaii!

Thank you for the info.  Royal has been much nicer to deal with than Princess.  I now also book an aft cabin on Royal and really have had no issues with them.  I am going to call the Special Access Department and see if the box can be put on the balcony.  

I will wait a little bit since the cruise isn't until November for Princess.

As always I thank everyone for the information provided.

1 hour ago, kmg365suzyq said:

Thank you for the info.  Royal has been much nicer to deal with than Princess.  I now also book an aft cabin on Royal and really have had no issues with them.  I am going to call the Special Access Department and see if the box can be put on the balcony.  

I will wait a little bit since the cruise isn't until November for Princess.

As always I thank everyone for the information provided.

I realize that we may be talking about two different cruise lines.  I'm speaking of the Royal Princess and I believe that you may be referring to a ship on board Royal Cruise Lines [not Princess.]  I have never cruised on Royal Cruises and, I have no idea where their stairwell's are located.  

My cruise on the Royal Princess was definitely NOT one of my favorite cruises and other than the buffet being my favorite buffet on any cruise line, the Royal Princess is NOT one of my favorite Princess ships. 

If I only cruised for the "buffet experience", I'd be taking only the Royal Princess.  It was amazing!

2 hours ago, kmg365suzyq said:

I am going to call the Special Access Department and see if the box can be put on the balcony.

Has anyone ever used potty pads in the shower stall in your room?  I considered it because it seemed really convenient (vs the long hike across the ship on Allure of the Seas).  I figured solids could be flushed down the toilet and the pad could be changed once a day for urine.  I ended up feeding Mavis in the stall instead (she eats a raw diet - yuck!) but seriously considered having her potty in there instead.  Hauling a weeks worth of potty pads seemed reasonable to me - and since it would already be in the bathroom it wasn’t all that gross!

1 hour ago, Mavis and Me said:

Has anyone ever used potty pads in the shower stall in your room?  I considered it because it seemed really convenient (vs the long hike across the ship on Allure of the Seas).  I figured solids could be flushed down the toilet and the pad could be changed once a day for urine.  I ended up feeding Mavis in the stall instead (she eats a raw diet - yuck!) but seriously considered having her potty in there instead.  Hauling a weeks worth of potty pads seemed reasonable to me - and since it would already be in the bathroom it wasn’t all that gross!

FYI:  Princess cruise lines does not allow the use of pee pads.  It is mentioned in their paperwork that you're asked to sign and return to them.

If your Steward saw the pads he would report it to his Housekeeping supervisor and you would be reminded that you were asked NOT to use them.

I don't know how other cruise lines feel about the pads but I do know how Princess feels.

4 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

FYI:  Princess cruise lines does not allow the use of pee pads.  It is mentioned in their paperwork that you're asked to sign and return to them.

Hmmm...I didn't know this.  Looks like others have had the same idea that I had, but maybe did something wrong and made a mess.  I didn't see anything about pee pads in the Royal Caribbean paperwork.  I had packed a bunch into Mavis's fold up crate along with her life vest for our flight because it was convenient to store all that stuff in there.  When I set her crate up in the room, I put all the pee pads on a low shelf in the closet.  Very obvious what they were.  No one said anything about them to me at all.  Good to know about the policy on other cruise lines, though.  Thanks for the info!

42 minutes ago, Mavis and Me said:

Hmmm...I didn't know this.  Looks like others have had the same idea that I had, but maybe did something wrong and made a mess.  I didn't see anything about pee pads in the Royal Caribbean paperwork.  I had packed a bunch into Mavis's fold up crate along with her life vest for our flight because it was convenient to store all that stuff in there.  When I set her crate up in the room, I put all the pee pads on a low shelf in the closet.  Very obvious what they were.  No one said anything about them to me at all.  Good to know about the policy on other cruise lines, though.  Thanks for the info!

Most of us are responsible and caring and would never leave a used pee pad anywhere without disposing of it properly.  I totally understand why the cruise lines have to have strict guidelines about what to do and what not to do just for the folks who would be careless and less concerned about the environment and other people who share it with us. 

On 2/1/2020 at 8:27 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

I realize that we may be talking about two different cruise lines.  I'm speaking of the Royal Princess and I believe that you may be referring to a ship on board Royal Cruise Lines [not Princess.]  I have never cruised on Royal Cruises and, I have no idea where their stairwell's are located.  

My cruise on the Royal Princess was definitely NOT one of my favorite cruises and other than the buffet being my favorite buffet on any cruise line, the Royal Princess is NOT one of my favorite Princess ships. 

If I only cruised for the "buffet experience", I'd be taking only the Royal Princess.  It was amazing!

We absolutely loved the Royal Princess. Food was great, ship was beautiful. But the potty box placement was ridiculous. To put the box at the opposite end of the ship through a door that I could barely open was not right. If it's not accessible by the dogs handler, then it needs to be moved somewhere else. I don't get these ships that put in box in an inaccessible spot. The dog is not mine and I shouldn't be responsible for taking him to potty. HAL always puts their box on the promenade deck forward. Even this placement is usually hard for John because of the heavy deck doors and the lip to get over. This last ship had a sliding door midship, so it was accessible for John to take him. 

I'm glad it wasnt one of your favorite cruises. ☹️😭

Edited by rangeley