Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Dogs bark at the mailman because it works. Dogs bark to scare threats away. So, when the mailman comes and the dog barks and then the mailman leaves, the dog sees it as his victory - his barking scared the threatening mailman away! Works every time, too. ;)

That is so true. I never thought of it that way. Now if I could just train him to make sure the mailman never brought me any bills that would be great. :D

Thanks so much for you guys taking the time to answer my questions and to give me lessons on this great SDs.

I just wanted to say I was sorry for all the stupid people that give you owners with SD a hard time.

I really think people need to be taught more so they won't be so foolish in their remarks.

Jo: I agree with "foolish remarks" that are made by the public. They can sometimes hurt!!!!!

Take away the source of the obsession......you said that one dog takes his toys to a spot under a table/chair.....remove the table/chair and don't allow her/him to obsess over what's not there!

The mailman issue is also easy.....do a "set-up" several times a day, until the dog becomes desensitized to that, too. It could be the bag the mailman carries/the uniform/the keys dangling....whatever....with the mailman's help or someone dressed as the mailman coming and going several times a day and your using a "no/don't" command everytime he starts to bark....he'll get the idea.....it won't happen immediately but it will happen.

You may have to have a choke collar with a very short lead on it so that you may grab it and "pull it to the side", actually a "jerking" motion (remember dogs necks are very, very thick and it will take some pressure for him to feel the "jerk" and when he starts to bark us your calm/assertive voice "NO/DON'T OR STOP", I promise he will get the idea after a few days. You MUST be consistant!!!!!!!!!

Good luck!!!!

Very true!!!!! Sometimes, people see the puppy (and all their puppy charms) and give them that cutsy/little girly name....which has absolutely nothing to do with who they'll grow up to be.....If I were to name her now....She'd be "Magic!"

The name "Brenda" does engender a bit of a quiet/timid/maiden type.....HAH!!!!! I have the wild woman/bucking/bronco type!!!!!

Oh! Well! What's in a name?

And that's how my dog ended up being "Cutie Pie be my Valentine" It's even on her AKC papers! Oh well it still fits her!! LOL

And that's how my dog ended up being "Cutie Pie be my Valentine" It's even on her AKC papers! Oh well it still fits her!! LOL

Haha, what a name!! I love hearts and all, but even that name I would gag at if it were my dog's full name. ;) Guess I'm not as girly as you and/or whoever named her! :p

I named my dog, as her AKC papers weren't sent in 'til after I purchased her. I'm SOO glad, too, 'cause I hated the name her breeder was calling her!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Service Dog Free Eye Exam & Blood Wellness Profile

Hey, I just wanted to let y'all know about this in case you didn't know already. May 12 is ACVO National Service Dog Eye Exam day. All across the US and Canada they are giving free opthamologist eye exams to certified service dogs (as well as detection dogs and SAR dogs). (Non-certified dogs are not eligible.)

I don't know where y'all live, so don't know if there is a participating clinic near you, but you can check that out on the Web site for the event: http://www.acvoeyeexam.org . Also, dogs who get the eye exam can go to their regular vet in June for a blood wellness profile (including CBC) - the blood taking and lab work is at no cost.

They had a small trial run of this event in TN a few months back and a guide dog handler found out his guide dog had the beginning of a type of tumor in his eye. It wouldn't have been something an annual exam would have caught, but now it is getting treated and hopefully the dog will be able to continue guiding his human for many more years.

Pass this info. on to any other certified SD owners ya know. :)

That's too bad that they're too far away. :( I have at least two nearby ones here (I'm not sure where the other towns are - some might be within driving distance). I'm waiting for the one I called to make an app't yesterday call me back - they had no clue what the event was! :rolleyes:

I am so looking forward to the day when we'll live closer to CCI, in Santa Rosa....Great place to live and an even greater way to be closer to good Vets/groomers/trainers/future service dogs, etc., etc.

While I'm still working, I want to be down here, in Southern CA. Once I retire, we'll make the move, up north.....

Thanks for keeping this thread active. I love to hear about service dogs and their travels. I am a volunteer handler for an orginization that breeds and trains service dogs. Similar to the one "Brenda" must have come from. I love it because I work with different dogs and different ages. Had a 6 month puppy for his first home visit yesterday. Such fun, even while we were working at the grocery store, hardware store etc.

Looking at what value these friends give to their recipeints makes it very easy to let them go. But I sure enjoy them while I have them. Please keep posting.

Sunshine: If I haven't said this to you before.....

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! For what you do to make sure that many, many folks have service dogs to make their lives more full and enriched! To allow them to walk through life with a companion that completes them!!!!

Your job is HUGE.....And, you are so appreciated for it!!!!!

Jo: Wonderful questions....And, no one could take offense to the way in which you asked.

It would be rude to ask someone specifically what is wrong with them? But general questions like yours are very welcomed!

There are lots of different organizations that train dogs. Some are for the blind, some are for the hearing impared, some are for people who have specific health issues.

My organization of choice is CCI (Canine Companions for Independence), main office, in Santa Rosa, California 1-800-572-BARK...they have satellite offices all over the U.S.

CCI trains their dogs for Hearing/Service/Facility and Skilled Companions.

They have Hearing dogs available, right now!

CCI has breeding dogs who have passed rigorous health exams so that they may deliver the most healthy puppies to be raised by puppy raisers (people just like you, CCI needs Puppy Raisers), who dedicate themselves to fostering the female dog who delivers into the world; these amazing, wonderful puppies, who will go through one year of training.

Each puppy is identified with a blue tattoo in it's right ear, (done at about 6 weeks of age); then as the puppy grows, it goes to puppy training and is taken into public areas, wearing an identifiable vest saying "Puppy in Training", the puppy learns to socialize and get used to all sorts of sights/sounds/stores/restaurants/children and slowly becomes desensitized to everything in its environment.

The puppy is watched, closely, in classes as to its personality and character and what the trainers think that it may best be suited for. Is it hyper, does she/he have a very strong work ethic, is it very, very nosey (always looking and listening), is it very big and likes to pull a wagon/wheel chair, and so on!

You (the public), fills out an application for you specific need and then the wait begins. CCI receives the application (which asks many questions about you and your expections/life style and needs!

Once you are accepted and CCI thinks that you would benefit from one of their dogs...the interviews begin. First, by phone, then in person (you will go to Santa Rosa and to the most beautiful facililty, you will encounter for dogs), then you are asked to walk/talk and demonstrate how you are, in general with dogs. CCI (several trainers) observe you and gets to see who you are. You will get to tour their campus and you will fall in love with it all.....I promise!

Then, the letters start coming and the final phone call (it took me 2 1/2 years to get Brenda), now, the waiting is not so long......

Once your accepted, CCI will have a dog for you and a successor dog, when yours retires. It's a lifetime of wonderfulness!!!!!!!

You will live at CCI for two weeks, while you learn dog behaviour/skills/training techniques/grooming and everything you could ever know about dogs. You will work with several dogs (but, by this time CCI knows which of the available dogs is really best for you), they just want to see that the "fit" and "match" is as perfect as it can be. Mine was so spot on......Brenda was born for me!!!!!!

You will have a graduation, at the end of two weeks. Your dog will be taken away from you and given to the puppy raisers to spend some time with. And then, it's very emotional for all concerned. The puppy raisers will hand your dog to you, in front of hundreds of people and tons of tears. And, then she/he is offically yours! I get chills just remembering the moment! The puppy raiser will give you an album of pictures showing you your dog from the time she/he started the program! So cute!!!!!

You will get a license that admits you into every public venue that exists. You will receive a vest/leash/collar and i.d. tags. The cost is $100 (total), if you can't afford it...they will offer you a scholarship. The value of your dog is approx. $35,000.00.....how's that for a great deal!!!!!!!

You are NEVER alone with CCI; there are follow-up classes and retreats, every year and there's re-certification every 1 to 3 years. And they are always just a phone call away! They want you to be successful and fulfilled!

I'm sorry this was so wordy....but, honestly, I could write pages about the experience and what it has meant to me..and, my family!!!!!! :)

If there's ANYTHING that you want clarification of....ask away!!!!!

Roz

I just got off the phone with Carnival Guest Access Services. They told me that my grandson who is Autistic may not have his CCI (Canine Companions for Independence) service dog on any Carnival cruise,something to the effect that only service animals for the blind are allowed. I asked for them to send me that policy in writing. I want to thank you for all the information you have been giving us on the various cruiselines. I wish I had read it before we picked Carnival for a family cruise. I'm finding it hard to believe that her information was true.

She is WRONG, WRONG,WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just got off the Carnival Pride and I've been on 3 other Carnival ships with Brenda. I AM NOT BLIND!!!!!!!

Your son is entitled to have his dog with him and they must allow the dog. You have the license/you have the vest.....You will need recent immunizations from your vet.

And, more importantly, you're leaving from a USA Port which must follow the ADA (American's with Disability Act) Access Laws. If the public is welcome on the ship, so is your service dog!!!!!!

I don't know where you're cruising to.........It doesn't matter!!!!! Just make sure that you have all the documentation that the country or Island that your going to. Hawaii requires a Rabies Titer (blood test) just prior to cruising. Mexico & the Caribbean require an Agricultural Inspection Form be completed by your vet......No problem!

Brenda has been welcomed on: Carnival; Princess; NCL and Holland America. You may use my name: Rosalyn Silberschein and remind them that I have NEVER been told that I can not board a ship with a dog who is not a "seeing eye dog!" EVER!!!!!!

Tell them that I have cruised with Brenda 12 times since 2004.

You take your son/his dog and have a wonderful cruise!!!!!!

Thank you. I knew the information was totally wrong & that's why I asked them to e-mail me Carnival's written policy on that subject. I also was pretty ticked!!! This was Carnival's Access Services Dept. out of Florida. It bothered me because they would be giving that same incorrect information to others. Our daughter in-law, our grandson's mom, also said it was illegal for them to ask me to describe her son's diasability & why he needed a service dog.

Did you only call that once? Or did you try multiple times? With cruiselines, you never get the same answer twice.

As long as your son's dog is individually trained to do work (i.e. guide or mobility work) or perform tasks (i.e. retrieves or alerts) that mitigate his disability, the dog is allowed anywhere your son is allowed on the ship (except the pools/waterslides and such, of course).

Keep us informed on what happens!

Oh - and it is illegal for them to ask what your son's disability is, but it isn't illegal for them to ask what tasks the dog does for him or if he is disabled (yes or no) or if the dog is a service dog (yes or no).

Scampi: Will you please let us ALL know what happens with your cruise plans.

It's not always easy to go into strange places with our service dogs however, that being said, it's still YOUR RIGHT to go!

Story: I was in JC Penney shopping and one of the sales people looked at me and my SD with such a glare and then said, "you know, pets are not allowed in our store!" I wanted to jump down her throat....I simply said, "may I please see your manager!" It didn't take long for EVERYONE to "back peddle!" I requested an apology, got it! And, now when I go into that store....I get nothing but smiles from all the sales people!

I simply suggested to the manager that all his sales people be apprised of the ADA and access laws for these animals. I also reminded him that if a ligitimate SD is refused entrance to a public place that there is a wonderful attorney, with CCI, who will represent us, at not cost, and who will get us $10,000 from the establishment and it usually winds-up in the news. I told him that these law suits are always won on behalf of the SD!

If you want, you can contact the attorney at CCI, I'm sure he'd love to take on Carnival Cruise Lines! Wow! They certainly wouldn't want this negative advertising......Not in this economy!

It's not always easy to go into strange places with our service dogs however, that being said, it's still YOUR RIGHT to go!

Story: I was in JC Penney shopping and one of the sales people looked at me and my SD with such a glare and then said, "you know, pets are not allowed in our store!" I wanted to jump down her throat....I simply said, "may I please see your manager!" It didn't take long for EVERYONE to "back peddle!" I requested an apology, got it! And, now when I go into that store....I get nothing but smiles from all the sales people!

I simply suggested to the manager that all his sales people be apprised of the ADA and access laws for these animals. I also reminded him that if a ligitimate SD is refused entrance to a public place that there is a wonderful attorney, with CCI, who will represent us, at not cost, and who will get us $10,000 from the establishment and it usually winds-up in the news. I told him that these law suits are always won on behalf of the SD!

If you want, you can contact the attorney at CCI, I'm sure he'd love to take on Carnival Cruise Lines! Wow! They certainly wouldn't want this negative advertising......Not in this economy!

Several years ago I had the same experience after I had been cruising with them four or five times already with service dog twice. I called to book a new cruise and was told that only seeing eye dogs were permitted. Just call back because your son's dog can't be denied. Unfortunately you got one of the morons who are there just to book average cruises. They know nothing. I'm sure if you call back you will get a totally different story. Then may I refer you to their guest relations department to whom you should complain that they should educate the people who book cruises. Just know your rights and state them loudly. It has taken me several years to learn this myself. My service dog is a small Japanese Chin and is an neuro alert dog. Being so small you can imagine the grief that I get sometimes. I can now state those laws quite loudly if need be. Roz I get something everytime I go to the mall. I always wonder how many service dogs they see a day that they don't remember her. :rolleyes:

Valentines Mom: They don't!!!!! Service Dogs are very rare, in our society! Isn't that amazing!!!!!!

I will come upon a person in a wheelchair, who is struggling with a door; or having a hard time picking up something off the floor and (well, you guys know me pretty well, by now), I always approach them and ask them why they don't have a service dog to assist them? The stock answer is, "because they're too much work!"

Ladies and gentleman, I am here to tell you that the work it takes to keep and maintain a Service Dog is much less than the struggle that the man in the wheelchair was going through on his visit to the mall!!!!

And, what you will get in return is unbelievable!!!!!!!

I am a very "foo-foo" kind of gal....you all know the type; makeup, hairdo, french-tip nails and designer clothes.....And, I wouldn't change anything about my life with my black lab and all her fur and ear wax!!!!!! (Labs are notorious for ear problems!) I clean them everyday; I brush her teeth; collect her hair from my chairs, tables and dishes!

I ADORE THIS DOG AND THANK HER, EVERYDAY FOR ALL THAT SHE DOES!!!!

Sunshine: If I haven't said this to you before.....

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! For what you do to make sure that many, many folks have service dogs to make their lives more full and enriched! To allow them to walk through life with a companion that completes them!!!!

Your job is HUGE.....And, you are so appreciated for it!!!!!

No thanks are needed. I only share because it is a different path with a service dog that I have. Right now I have a six month old black lab-golden mix sleeping next to me. We had a great trip to home depot, a walk around the lake at heel(which took lot's of treats and motivation), she stayed with me while I unloaded the dishwasher, and is doing great with "Leave It's. I only met her this morning, and will return her tomorow. She is going to make a great best friend for someone some day. Maybe she will even go on a cruise or two!!!

It's not always easy to go into strange places with our service dogs however, that being said, it's still YOUR RIGHT to go!...

Sorry, here's a follow-up. Katie is our grandson's service dog. Our large family cruise is in 2010. I'm the group leader and I initially was calling about a family member with another access need. During the conversation I brought up the information that there was a possibility that our grandson might bring his service dog and I wanted to know about the arrangements they had for service animals. That's when the person went off on "only seeing eye dogs" were allowed. She even spoke to her supervisor who agreed with her. I was very angry and asked for them to send me the written policy. Of course it never arrived. Our grandson's mom, our DIL, had pretty much decided that Katie would have a vacation at the CCI facility in San Diego while we are on the Carnival Spirit out of that port. San Diego is where they went through their initial training with Canine Companions for Independence almost two years ago and where they have follow-up training. They have a lot of time to make a decision about whether our grandson's service dog comes on the ship or not. Their main concern is mostly not exposing Katie to the ports in Mexico where there is a lack of a leash law. Wizard of Roz, I gave my DIL a copy of your summaries of the arrangements they make for service animals on various cruise lines. She sure appreciated it. Don't worry about the outcome. Our DIL, an attorney, in a different field of law, has used attorneys in the past to obtain the appropriate programs that our grandson required. I'm sure she will follow up on this.

I do hope your grandson's SD gets to go on the cruise so he can have use of the tasks she does for him while he's on vacation (a time one may need them even more than they usually do because they are doing more and different things than usual and in different/not neccessarily accessible places).

I wouldn't be too worried about the Mexico ports, especially if you're going on excursions so won't be walking around the streets or whatnot. (We went to a pay-for beach.) I came across one loose dog at our Mexico port (Cozumel) and that was when we were a few feet away from the ramp that leads back into the passenger- and salesmen-only port area where the ship is (they check for your cruise card). The dog barked, but didn't growl or lunge, and a Mexican man standing nearby kept the dog away from us. I also came across a barking loose dog that was more of a bother to my service dog the day before when we were at port in Key West, Florida, US. (The dog didn't attack, but did come up to her, sniffing her butt and such. And nobody nearby offered any kind of help to keep the dog from us.) So, it can happen anywhere!

What are the experiences of al of you cruising with an SD in the eastern caribbean?

Could you be more specific as to what you're looking for? Access to certain countries? Access within certain countries? SDs on the ship? :)

I cruised to the western Caribbean, but go to the Bahamas every year. The Bahamas is pretty easy to enter with an SD (they don't charge you the import permit fee, either). They do not have public access laws, but I haven't had a problem going anywhere there, including restaurants, after explaining what SDs are and do. You've gotta have an impeccably-behaved and -trained SD and follow typical SD handler etiquette, though, so you don't ruin access for others who come behind you (like myself)! ;)

Oh, I wouldn't mind any information about anything. ;)

I'll be doing the disney eastern intinerary so that would be St. Maarten, St Thomas and Castaway Cay. I'll be ok entering St. Maarten as I'm dutch. We can enter our homeland without having to arrange anything for the SD other than having the standard papers with you. As I understand it from Disney, Castaway Cay isn't a problem neither. I'm assuming since St. John is American Virgin Islands, they'll have the same regulations as when I enter the US mainland with my SD, right?

Most of all I'm looking for the practical tips, do's and don'ts. I'm new to all of this. I'm getting my SD one of these days soon but so far nil experience with a SD, let alone cruising solo with a SD. The cruise wont be untill 2009 and hopefully the SD will be here soon enough (should be) to come along with our family on our trip to the US this year. That would give me at least some experience in flying and doing 'normal' travel with the SD before doing the cruise.

For instance; what way do others make sure there is enough dogfood on the cruise? Drag along a suitcase full of it? ;) Do the supplies needed for the dog also count as 'medical equipement' (as in free of charge) on the american airlines? How do you pick out excursions when you're travelling solo with a SD? What are great and perhaps not so good places to explore ashore?

I'm not very worried about things not going great. We'll be fine! I'm just looking for some very practical information.

The behaviour-part of it all should be covered. :) Our system is a bit different than that of the US SD's. For a dog to officially become an SD they have to fit a very clear set of rules and each dog has to have had their education within or counceled by a dogschool. The dogschool I use starts socialising the dogs at about 8 weeks old and training goes on untill about 20/22 months of age. They also keep doing follow ups after matching and training the team so there really is no room for less than impeccable behaviour from neither dog nor person. And rightfully so.