Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

How have you all done your dog food for cruises?

I WAS planning on putting a meal in a zip-lock and bringing enough for the trip, plus a little extra. I just spoke with Disney Special Services and she said she was concerned I'd get a firm Customs agent that wouldn't allow it since it wasn't "store sealed". So she advised me to bring a whole bag. Which means I have to bring a 40 pound bag!

Fortunately I am driving, but wowza... She said to call a bit beforehand and they'd make arrangements for extra help getting it on board with my carry-on. Geesh...

What have you all gone through?

Holly

Holly in over 20 cruises with just my dogs, I have NEVER brought a whole bag of food. I put each meal portion in zip lock bags and it's easy to take a bag out when needed. I used to save the bags for future meal storage but my Vet recommended not doing this because of bacteria collection. So, I now just throw them away after their emptied.

It would be ridiculous to drag a full, sealed bag of food. What if it got punctured......too silly!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Oh my what a carry on -literally! Sorry couldn't resist that feeble attempt at humour!!! It's been a long day ..... :rolleyes:

Why are you going through customs if you are leaving from the U.S.? I'm presuming you are as you said you're driving to the port. Does the Disney person actually mean you may have problems going through the security check?

Just wondering out loud ......

Ridiculous.......don't listen to them.

Holly, I measure out a meal plus extras (fish oil capsule, powdered supplement) into quart size zip lock bags. Then I bundle a few days' worth and put those in my tote that I wheel aboard so I am sure to have them handy if luggage is delayed.

The rest I pack into Raylene's own rolling suitcase (enough for the cruise plus at least three days just in case) along with food & water bowl, treats, tooth chews, toys, first aid kit, flea & tick stuff, heartworm stuff, life jacket, towel, spare leash, poop bags, canned pumpkin, and the kitchen sink.

No one questioned it on Celebrity or Holland America Line. Their instructions say the cruise line will not provide food (of course, nor would you want them to!), and that you are permitted to bring aboard a supply. Nothing about "in its original package." I suppose you could tear off a portion of the wrapper bag with the brand name and ingredients in case someone wants to know for some mysterious reason.

Pretty much what I do! I want his food and supplies with me......I treat his supplies like "medical supplies" and so does every airline/cruise ship and any other carrier!

fairbourne,

This is the current crew. Chaos on the couch. Orson upper right against the couch. Sutter, upper left against the couch. And Davis below.

a7843f14-38b4-449e-852c-58941fbcee02.jpg

Lovely, a pile of sleeping dogs, well with Chaos (love that name!) on the sofa keeping an eye out! I'd be up there with him! :D.

Lovely, a pile of sleeping dogs, well with Chaos (love that name!) on the sofa keeping an eye out! I'd be up there with him! :D.

I love all the extra bedding used to try and save the leather sofa in DKD's home from the furry beings laying everywhere! I finally gave-up on trying to protect the sofa when Brenda would paw the covers free so that she could lay on the $200 pillows without anything between her and them!!! :rolleyes:

Horton doesn't need to jump up on the furniture he just takes a step-up and he's there. He will lay on PaPa's side of the bed but will not go up on Brenda's sofa.....She may not be with us anymore but his respect for her still lives on!!:)

Well, it's time for CCI's Haute Dog Fashion Show again. I don't think Horton and I will be walking the run-way this year. Although, we had a blast last year and enjoyed being with some of you, who came, we have other obligations that we MUST attend to this year.

Horton was the most amazing Elvis!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

I love all the extra bedding used to try and save the leather sofa in DKD's home from the furry beings laying everywhere! I finally gave-up on trying to protect the sofa when Brenda would paw the covers free so that she could lay on the $200 pillows without anything between her and them!!! :rolleyes:

Horton doesn't need to jump up on the furniture he just takes a step-up and he's there. He will lay on PaPa's side of the bed but will not go up on Brenda's sofa.....She may not be with us anymore but his respect for her still lives on!!:)

The bump on the left side of the sofa is my wife. The sheet is there because the sofa is not leather but a micro fiber that attracts fur like crazy.

Well, it's time for CCI's Haute Dog Fashion Show again. I don't think Horton and I will be walking the run-way this year. Although, we had a blast last year and enjoyed being with some of you, who came, we have other obligations that we MUST attend to this year.

Horton was the most amazing Elvis!

He truly was - I have shown many people the Horton as Elvis photos. Some of the other costumes were amazing also - what a lot of work you all put into that show. And it was obvious the audience absolutely loved it! Wish I could have been there.

It's one week now since our girl left and I really felt it this morning driving into town, as her crate in the back of my car rattled with its emptiness. Hopefully our phone will be ringing later this week with news from the training centre of how she's getting on. I'm off to the hairdresser tomorrow, so that wil be really strange as well not having her there. But at least I've stopped blubbing at the mere mention of her name! Silly old Fairbourne!!

Dianne - any news of your training? I can't wait to meet your new doggy partner. :)

He truly was - I have shown many people the Horton as Elvis photos. Some of the other costumes were amazing also - what a lot of work you all put into that show. And it was obvious the audience absolutely loved it! Wish I could have been there.

It's one week now since our girl left and I really felt it this morning driving into town, as her crate in the back of my car rattled with its emptiness. Hopefully our phone will be ringing later this week with news from the training centre of how she's getting on. I'm off to the hairdresser tomorrow, so that wil be really strange as well not having her there. But at least I've stopped blubbing at the mere mention of her name! Silly old Fairbourne!!

Dianne - any news of your training? I can't wait to meet your new doggy partner. :)

You're doing really well! They would have had to put me in a sanitarium or called the police to stop me from going to training with her.......Oh! Wait! I'm beyond training.....I keep forgetting!!! :p

I could have said LUMP!! And I don't like sitting on leather.

Mr. Wizard-of-Roz always wanted leather chairs in our home and I said, "No way", because I don't like them in my home or in my cars. I live in the desert.....I don't want to be sticking to seats all day!!!! Not a pretty picture! So, you don't have to explain this one to me.......I totally get it!

However, I don't think there's a fabric on earth that Lab hair doesn't cling to.....No....Not a fabric on earth!

A friend brought her little, white poodle over for a visit the other day, Horton and the little fluff ball loved each other. However, when my friend picked up her dog to take her home......she wasn't white anymore....she was a weird color of gray. Horton's hair was all over the poodle hair, inner twined into every curly piece of fluff. My friend said she was going to drop her dog off at the groomers to get the wirey, black "stuff" off her majestic, silky, white thing!:p I say, "good job" Horton Jeffrey!

Fairbourne, I hope each day gets a little easier for you. I am sure that you miss her dearly.

I am starting to pack and getting ready to go to training. I leave on Sunday for two weeks! I am very excited, but a little apprehensive too.

Dianne

Thank you so mymuch!

I'd there any specific vaccines needed for the Bahamas?

I read somewhere that there is paperwork that I have to fill out for The Bahamas? Some type of importation paperwork. I'd this true? Where can I find it?

So basically, I get a health certificate, rabies vax, user ID, and what else? We don't have a city dog liscense. I have a signed contract of ownership but the only identification I have is a picture ID issued from The Guide Dog Foundation.

VET CERTIFICATE, IMMUNIZED against, Distemper,Hepatitus, Parvo, Leptospirosis, Adenovirous, Corovirus ,and Rabies. This is on my April permit for Princess Cay.Did not get off because been there done that and to difficult using their enclosed life boats. Is there really anybody there to collect permits on these private islands? Next private Island we are going is HALF MOON CAY, does HAL use life boats as tenders also? Any info if they check for permit or Health Cert? Also going to LABADEE. RCCL told me I would not need anything because it's private. RCCL Special Acc Dept gave me incorrect info before, and no info on line any where for Haiti. Last VET CERT after we returned home noticed it was never dated, left blank. I just learned for for ports needing an ISO CHIP, another Rabies shot is required after chip, even though Rabies immunization is still in compliance. We do the 3 yr and and Snickers will be about in his 29 th month this may put a change in cruise itinerary. Should be separate requirements for visiting ports under 24 hr or just passing thru an airport.

Fairbourne, I hope each day gets a little easier for you. I am sure that you miss her dearly.

I am starting to pack and getting ready to go to training. I leave on Sunday for two weeks! I am very excited, but a little apprehensive too.

Dianne

Dianne, I have goose bumps for you. Soon, you'll be telling us all kinds of stories about your "fur-partner" and wait till you get to go on your first cruise together! Life will start looking so much busier and better for you!

Have fun at Team Training. You are going to Santa Rosa aren't you? If so, tell them Hi from Roz and Horton. Especially Ken.

Dianne

If you see a trainer named Flora, tell her Orson from the Long Island campus says HI!!

May I ask what brand(s) you feed your dogs? Jagger is kind of a picky eater and I'm wondering if I should consider changing his brand? Slowly of course. Right now he eats Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice.

I know some of the ones who officially have their dogs changed it to the Chicken Soup for Dogs brand.

Holly

May I ask what brand(s) you feed your dogs? Jagger is kind of a picky eater and I'm wondering if I should consider changing his brand? Slowly of course. Right now he eats Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice.

I know some of the ones who officially have their dogs changed it to the Chicken Soup for Dogs brand.

Holly

CCI and Eukanuba have a close connection so both my Service Dogs came home with me being fed Eukanuba all their lives. I continued changing only as they got older to 5 year+ Senior same brand and then 7 year+. They both did very well on it. Brenda NEVER had any issues with her food and really had a pretty healthy life until she passed at age 14.

Dianne, I have goose bumps for you. Soon, you'll be telling us all kinds of stories about your "fur-partner" and wait till you get to go on your first cruise together! Life will start looking so much busier and better for you!

Have fun at Team Training. You are going to Santa Rosa aren't you? If so, tell them Hi from Roz and Horton. Especially Ken.

Yes, I will be at the Santa Rosa campus. When I was on the waiting list, it seemed like this day would never come. Now its almost here. I will give them a big Hello from both of you!

Dianne

Holly

Raylene arrived eating Canidae dryfood - Chicken & Rice - but developed a daily vomiting problem a few months later, so the vet suggested a switch to Royal Canin. She's been fine for the past year on the dry Adult Selected Protein Potato Venison. Good stuff.

May have been a sensitivity to chicken she developed.