Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Roz,

I just booked a cruise with Princess in November of '16. It'll be the Caribbean Princess. Disney finally out priced themselves and with the new liquor policy I'm out. I can get a veranda for less than an inside! Plus got the all inclusive beverage package as part of the deal. Not that I drink a lot, but I like wine on my veranda.

ETA: I'm still doing the booked Panama Canal cruise though.

Holly

Go Holly, Go Holly!!!! I'm so glad that you're shopping around and getting the best deals. I still have NOT done a Disney cruise. I think they're still going out of San Diego so, I may have to take a drive down just to get onboard one!

I keep hoping every day I might have some news of how Madam Aruba is doing, but nothing yet! So I'm working on the basis that no news is good news and that's she's doing ok - so far!

Did I tell you that we've agreed to have a new Guide dog pup late September, early October? Well, we have, so watch out, there will be the patter of tiny paws coming along to worm their way into our hearts again!

Talking of tiny paws, DKD, how's Sutter doing? His paws won't be quite so teeny now! :eek:

I think about her all the time. I know you'll let us know when you hear how she's doing! I agree, I'm sure if she were not doing well they'd let you know.

Before you know it we'll be talking about another baby soon! I think your household will be ready by then! I know I can't wait!!!

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Tonight I learned that our friend's service dog has also passed. He was only 5 or 6. He apparently had a heart condition and took a fast decline this week. I'm not sure what is worse, our situation where we knew it was coming or having it come up so suddenly. This team came to my girl scout troop last fall to talk about what this amazing pup did. I am still amazed that the pup could help her with her socks and jacket.

It's been a sad summer for dogs. We have also had two friends lose their furbabies since early July.

Oh! No! Such sad news.

When my wonderful Brenny passed she was 14 years old..... I was so lucky to have had the pleasure of her company for so long, it was very sudden, she had not been sick. I called the Vet and the "house-call" Vet came right over within the hour. I'm so grateful that my little darling could be home when she passed. She had an innate fear of the Vet's office for absolutely no reason. Horton loves going to the Vet [but, he is a bit of a weirdo!]

I send my love and sincerest condolences to anyone whose lost a furchild this summer, especially our "Ollie!"

Fun! Another cruise to anticipate. The more, the better is my motto! A couple of weeks ago, our old friends who live in the Caribbean suggested we join them in January 2017 on Azamara, so we booked it. Quite a few smaller ports none of us have visited, even though we lived in the Virgin Islands for years (and they have much longer.)

Today we met Raylene's new, charming, skilled and kind veterinarian, who is USDA-certified and can issue those APHIS forms for us. Very convenient and close to our house! We got all our booster shots up to date and are marveling at our good fortune to find her.

Chris, having a USDA Vet has made it so much easier on my travels with Brenda and now Horton. Good move!

It has been a tough week, hasn't it? We lost two dogs from the organization both unexpectedly. I guess the only positive thing is both did not suffer long with cancer, it just hit fast and furious.

So hard to lose a furbaby....

Jagger and I send hugs to all going through this...

It has been a tough week, hasn't it? We lost two dogs from the organization both unexpectedly. I guess the only positive thing is both did not suffer long with cancer, it just hit fast and furious.

CCI has had some very bad losses this week with a 6 year old and another dog that I'm not sure of the age but it was also young.

Then there's the Yellow Lab, Galaxy III, in great health and who just celebrated her 15th birthday. She and her partner Cheryl Heppner graduated with Brenda and me in 2002. Although it does break our hearts to hear of the Service Dogs whose lives are cut way too short........Isn't it wonderful to hear about a 15 year old Lab, in good health and......whose still working!!!!

KLM has come up with a great idea that other airlines should emulate.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NK-T_t166TY?feature=player_embedded

Makes me want to book a flight with KLM. What a wonderful video, thank you so much for sharing it with all of us......It was a great way to start my Monday morning.........Love beagles!!!!♥ ♥ ♥

Shameless plug for votes. A photo of Jagger and me is one of the 4 finalists in the AVCO Eye Exam event. If our photo gets the most likes, the organization from which I got Jagger will get $500. Can you all "like" the photo for those of you on FB?

Done♥

We also have sad news to share. Our sweet Ollie passed on July 31. He was diagnosed with liver failure in February. The vet told us 2-3 months. He survived nearly 6. As with Quam's house, it is quiet at ours. I am still expecting him to be at the door when I come in (he was my husband's Seeing Eye Dog). We are still locking the pantry door by habit. We have good days and bad days.

Like many of your dogs, he traveled internationally, 3 cruises, Disney World twice, Alaska twice, Mardi Gras several times. He saw many national landmarks including the Liberty Bell and Mt. Rushmore. He truly saw more in 8 years with us than most people see in a lifetime. He was a faithful companion to our entire family and we miss him terribly.

We have no immediate plans for a new dog. My husband works from home most of the time so there is not a need like there was when he had a 2.5 hour commute (each way!) We are on the go a lot since family is not close by and the kids keep us busy so a pet dog is not a great fit for us either. I'm working on him for cats. We will get two eventually. We are just not ready yet.

So sorry for your loss! Isn't it just horrible to have a quiet house?! :( Many nights I practically cry myself to sleep and I am not a cryer. It hasn't helped that I just moved a few days ago, so even before my girl was in the ground, had to be going through her toys, gear, and other items (what to keep for my other dog, what to throw out). I am going to be making a scrapbook of all the cards, e-mails, and Facebook comments/posts that I got as condolences from family and friends so I can always look back on them and photos of my girl (which I will include on the pages). I still need to figure out which style of headstone I want to get - something with her photo on it for sure!

That's funny you should mention that your husband's guide dog did more than many people do, as I thought the same thing about my girl and her oncologist's condolence e-mail said the same thing, too! We know our service dogs had such wonderful lives and that definitely helps our grieving to have no regrets!

I definitely understand not being ready yet - I am so glad my other dog isn't quite finished with her training yet, as I need this time to grieve! I am glad that I started the process of getting my other dog and her training last year, as no way could I be thinking of getting one now!

Shameless plug for votes. A photo of Jagger and me is one of the 4 finalists in the AVCO Eye Exam event. If our photo gets the most likes, the organization from which I got Jagger will get $500. Can you all "like" the photo for those of you on FB?

Done - I hope you win!

Dianne

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Tonight I learned that our friend's service dog has also passed. He was only 5 or 6. He apparently had a heart condition and took a fast decline this week. I'm not sure what is worse, our situation where we knew it was coming or having it come up so suddenly. This team came to my girl scout troop last fall to talk about what this amazing pup did. I am still amazed that the pup could help her with her socks and jacket.

It's been a sad summer for dogs. We have also had two friends lose their furbabies since early July.

How awful! That's too young and the surprise is definitely shocking, I would say worse than expecting it. (The experts say when we're preparing for it, we start the grieving process prior to it happening. Not that it makes the actual mourning easier - as one of my friends who has gone through an even bigger loss wrote me, even though I had been preparing for it for a while, it doesn't make it easier - but that the steps of grief begin during the person/dog's illness and all ... hope that makes sense!)

Wow, so sad! Were they placed dogs or young ones still in training?

So sorry for your loss! Isn't it just horrible to have a quiet house?! :( Many nights I practically cry myself to sleep and I am not a cryer. It hasn't helped that I just moved a few days ago, so even before my girl was in the ground, had to be going through her toys, gear, and other items (what to keep for my other dog, what to throw out). I am going to be making a scrapbook of all the cards, e-mails, and Facebook comments/posts that I got as condolences from family and friends so I can always look back on them and photos of my girl (which I will include on the pages). I still need to figure out which style of headstone I want to get - something with her photo on it for sure!

That's funny you should mention that your husband's guide dog did more than many people do, as I thought the same thing about my girl and her oncologist's condolence e-mail said the same thing, too! We know our service dogs had such wonderful lives and that definitely helps our grieving to have no regrets!

I definitely understand not being ready yet - I am so glad my other dog isn't quite finished with her training yet, as I need this time to grieve! I am glad that I started the process of getting my other dog and her training last year, as no way could I be thinking of getting one now!

Quam, I understand totally how you feel. That said, I'm so grateful that I got Horton before Morey or Brenny passed. He was a wonderful source of strength and love for me. Talk about a quiet house. I can't even imagine how I would have been able to cope with both of them gone and, if Horton weren't here it would have been scary quiet for me.

I have NEVER been alone since I moved from my parents home [with 5 siblings and a Grandfather] at the age of 19 into my husband's and my home. Then 9 month's later we had our first baby. By the time I was 25 years old I had 3 children, a home and a husband to care for. I was a very busy young woman and it seemed it never quite stopped.

So, the quietness of my home without children, animals and a wonderful husband would have been deafening for me!

Horton filled the void and puts a smile on my face everyday. He's a goofball from the get-go!

I hope that the time you spend looking through the pictures of your girl and making your album of her will give you a quiet sense of peace. You took wonderful care of her, she knew and felt that love. Of that I'm sure you're so grateful for.

I had Brenny cremated and she comforts me when I look at her beautiful box, her brass plate & picture [while she was on a cruise, of course] and the plaster imprint of her paws sitting on top of her box. I run my hand over the imprint every day, with a tear and thank her for her service, devotion and unending love for all of us!

I know you felt the same about your girl and I send my love to you during this time of remembering her ♥.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

CCI has had some very bad losses this week with a 6 year old and another dog that I'm not sure of the age but it was also young.

Then there's the Yellow Lab, Galaxy III, in great health and who just celebrated her 15th birthday. She and her partner Cheryl Heppner graduated with Brenda and me in 2002. Although it does break our hearts to hear of the Service Dogs whose lives are cut way too short........Isn't it wonderful to hear about a 15 year old Lab, in good health and......whose still working!!!!

Sorry to hear about the losses of the younger dogs!

That is so great about the fifteen-year-old! I think if my girl had not gotten cancer, she would have worked until old like that, too. She retired earlier this year at twelve as it was, just didn't have enough stamina anymore.

Wow, so sad! Were they placed dogs or young ones still in training?

They were both placed dogs.

My heart goes out to anyone who loses their furbabies. I've lost my share, and some you just never get over. It dulls a little, but you just don't get over it.

Hugs to all of you that have suffered losses.

Holly