Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hello My Darlings, well, we're home from our 15 day Hawaii cruise onboard the Emerald Princess.  Registration was easy, finding the potty box.....not so much:  I approached "Guest Services" upon arrival and the gentleman behind the desk, "Martin" was not very happy to see me or Horton.  When I asked where the Potty Box had been placed he told me he had to find a maintenance person to help me.  I REMAINED CALM......Well, "calm" for me.  I said, "my dog needs to use the box and I need to know where it has been placed ASAP"!  Mind you, I had already checked my veranda, the stairwell near my cabin a crew closet near our cabin, all to no avail.

Martin was becoming more and more frustrated and I became more and more insistent.  I asked for the Hotel Manager and was directed to a Chief Engineer who was so frazzled that I thought she was going to have a major stroke or melt-down right in front of me.  She kept telling me that she was very, very busy and was dealing with many issues.  I had taken Horton to the bathroom before we entered the dock so I knew he was okay, but they didn't need to know that!

The Engineer showed me where a 3x3 box had been placed under a set of stairs, outside on deck 6 forward [mind you, my cabin was on Deck 12 Aft.]  I had to bend over to approach the box and Horton had no room to do his business, without missing the box.  WHAT A JOKE!  I told her this was unacceptable!

I walked back to Guest Services [getting angrier and angrier with each succeeding step].  I asked Martin if he's ever heard of "Cruise Critic".....I told him that I was going to write in my blog about what Princess had provided for my Service Dog.....I suggested that he get on the computer and read some of the posts.  IT WORKED......He actually excused himself, went on the computer, came back to me and said that he would make sure that a larger box be provided and that it would be moved to the stairwell directly around the corner from my cabin.  Hallelujah!  Cruise Critic actually carried some weight on this occasion.  THANK YOU!

The box was placed in the stairwell, within the hour and was perfect for the rest of a wonderful and restful journey. 

Horton was well loved and appreciated by all.  Only once did I encounter someone who seemed very "put-out" by the presence of my beautiful boy.  There was a small poodle also onboard, who was pushed around in a baby carriage [looking absolutely ridiculous].  The dog would bark and growl at Horton when he saw him, acting like a nervous, hyper embarrassment when we were in the same area.  The owners would avoid us the entire 2 weeks.......I don't blame them.....their dog looked very silly and certainly not well-trained in it's response to a very professional and well behaved Horton.

I loved the pictures that were posted about President Bush's dog, "Sully", what a wonderful dog.  He brought great happiness to Mr. Bush at the end of his life.  The pure joy that walking and traveling with a Service Dog brings to our lives can't be duplicated in any way, shape or form.  As I grow older and my needs for Horton change and evolve, I realize how much peace and calmness he brings to me by just being present in my life!  I'm so thankful for everyday that Horton Jeffrey is with me! 

Judy, please feel free to ask your good questions of ALL of us.  We work together as a wonderful resource to each other in the way that we support and help one another.  Please ask away on the boards.

REMINDER:  Customs agents will ask to see the ORIGINAL copies of your dogs documentation so remember to make copies for the ship's registration but keep the originals for the customs agents.

Roz is back!!! We missed you.

So sorry Princess gave you stress on embarkation day. Our dogs' boxes seem to be an afterthought for some of the cruise lines. I'm imagining how these folks would feel if they ever needed to use the bathroom after boarding, and were told maintenance would have to be involved first, or "I'm very very busy right now." And if eventually they were sent to an inadequate relief facility. I'm glad it worked out because you persisted.

How did the Hawaiian entry formalities work out this time? 

On 12/8/2018 at 11:04 AM, Ragoczy said:

We got on the 29th. 🙂 Probably have you to thank for them offering to put it on the balcony without having to ask. Thanks!

I was on the Liberty over Thanksgiving. When we returned we went and picked up my daughters service dog. We are avid cruisers and Cruise Carnival most of the time..We just booked a Christmas Cruise for next year. It's a 4day cruise on the Liberty to the Bahamas. We booked an 2 interior rooms but was wondering what the best type of room would be best for us as well as our service dog. My daughters dog is a Goldendoodle. He weighs in at about 65lbs at this moment. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

12 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

Glad you and Horton had a good cruise.

Sorry you  had to work so hard to make others do their job properly.

Thank you so much.  It's a very simple issue made more difficult by Princess being very stubborn about placing the box directly on our veranda.  Their claims that it is not possible to put the box [easily] on our own private veranda is NOT VALID.....since other cruise lines do this very thing! 

12 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Roz is back!!! We missed you.

So sorry Princess gave you stress on embarkation day. Our dogs' boxes seem to be an afterthought for some of the cruise lines. I'm imagining how these folks would feel if they ever needed to use the bathroom after boarding, and were told maintenance would have to be involved first, or "I'm very very busy right now." And if eventually they were sent to an inadequate relief facility. I'm glad it worked out because you persisted.

How did the Hawaiian entry formalities work out this time? 

I always miss you guys when I'm away.

It is absolutely sinful how this subject, "the box", is handled by Princess.  They place the box in the stairwell but I have to do the usual "song & dance" routine first.  It's getting very old, indeed!  I like the Princess product so I won't give-up....because it's for ALL of us!  

My children insisted on staying with me because they wanted to see the entire scenario.  They couldn't believe the way it just wasn't pre-placed where I requested before I boarded.  Would have been nice for all concerned.

I was called early in the morning [7:00 am] upon entering the port of Maui.  A customs officer met with me and asked to see the ORIGINAL PAPERWORK for Horton.  She inspected his fur/skin/eyes/ears/paws.  I was NOT asked to pay the 5 day release fee [$244] for entering Hawaii again, since I had just paid the fee 11 months prior.  I did NOT have to have the Rabies Titer Test [$250] done again, since it was done at the same time and is good for 3 years.  I was NEVER called to have Horton examined upon entrance to Mexico......this is a maybe yes or no.......Sometimes the customs agents will insist on inspection and sometimes not.  I didn't miss not meeting with them. 

It's best to be prepared for any customs inspector to examine your dog any time you enter a foreign port or Hawaii.  Better safe than sorry!

May I just say that if I NEVER take another cruise to the Hawaiian Islands I promise you I won't miss them.  The Pacific Ocean to Hawaii is a fickle/potentially very angry sea hag and NOT my favorite to travel on long voyages in the winter months.  Since I'm madly in love with cruising I will be choosing more Port intensive venues and NOT so many sea days [not my favorite!]

Edited by wizard-of-roz

15 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Hello My Darlings, well, we're home from our 15 day Hawaii cruise onboard the Emerald Princess.  Registration was easy, finding the potty box.....not so much:  I approached "Guest Services" upon arrival and the gentleman behind the desk, "Martin" was not very happy to see me or Horton.  When I asked where the Potty Box had been placed he told me he had to find a maintenance person to help me.  I REMAINED CALM......Well, "calm" for me.  I said, "my dog needs to use the box and I need to know where it has been placed ASAP"!  Mind you, I had already checked my veranda, the stairwell near my cabin a crew closet near our cabin, all to no avail.

Welcome back Roz. Maybe one of these days we won't have to spend the first day dealing with the relief box when we board the ship! On our cruise last month we had a small dog on board that rode around in the basket on a scooter. Every time the other dog would see Henri she would bark furiously. The lady with the dog also would avoid us and I noticed that she would have to clamp the dog's mouth shut with her hand to keep it quiet.  The dog may well have been a legitimate alert dog, but he/she definitely needed better training to be in public.  

Dianne

1 hour ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

I was on the Liberty over Thanksgiving. When we returned we went and picked up my daughters service dog. We are avid cruisers and Cruise Carnival most of the time..We just booked a Christmas Cruise for next year. It's a 4day cruise on the Liberty to the Bahamas. We booked an 2 interior rooms but was wondering what the best type of room would be best for us as well as our service dog. My daughters dog is a Goldendoodle. He weighs in at about 65lbs at this moment. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

It really depends on your personal preference. It makes it much easier for me to book a balcony cabin and have the relief box placed there (since otherwise the box is usually in a location not easily accessible in a wheelchair). My service dog also likes to lay on the balcony in the sun. She can get fresh air without me having to take her to an outside deck.

Dianne

4 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Welcome back Roz. Maybe one of these days we won't have to spend the first day dealing with the relief box when we board the ship! On our cruise last month we had a small dog on board that rode around in the basket on a scooter. Every time the other dog would see Henri she would bark furiously. The lady with the dog also would avoid us and I noticed that she would have to clamp the dog's mouth shut with her hand to keep it quiet.  The dog may well have been a legitimate alert dog, but he/she definitely needed better training to be in public.  

Dianne

Dianne, it was actually very funny to watch Horton's reaction to the rude/growling little beast in the stroller with a "side eye" glance and look at me as if to say; "what the heck is wrong with the moron in the baby cart?"  It sure makes anyone who would be willing to push their dog around like this and allow them to bark, look like fools!

I walk with pride, with my CCI dog and how handsome and smart he is to just sit or stand with grace in all situations!

5 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

It really depends on your personal preference. It makes it much easier for me to book a balcony cabin and have the relief box placed there (since otherwise the box is usually in a location not easily accessible in a wheelchair). My service dog also likes to lay on the balcony in the sun. She can get fresh air without me having to take her to an outside deck.

Dianne

Exactly what Dianne said. 

Carnival is the best for placing the box directly on your veranda, before you enter the ship.  I seriously am going to take credit for them doing this.......since, they used to place the box on an outside deck, far from your cabin, filled with horrible tree bark, near the smokers, where it was used as a cigarette drop box.  I sat at the Hotel Managers office door, with Brenda, until he had to come out and I literally attacked him!  Brenda had burnt her paw from a lit cigarette and I was a raving, lunatic; screaming, crying, waving my hands, shaking........I looked like a mad woman!  My husband couldn't believe how I was acting........I was going to protect and defend my little Brenda and Carnival wasn't going to get off easy!!!!!! 

We got a free cruise and the box was moved to our veranda with cedar mulch [retrieved from under a tree across the street from the dock in San Diego, no lie!  I actually saw two crew members with a bucket, getting the stuff!]

Remember to bring some small potty bags to pick up the solid waste.  The ship doesn't have this part down yet!

I also bring a bed [I purchased a lightweight, soft bed at PetSmart] and Horton uses it.  I roll it up, hold it closed with hair bungees and bring it when we cruise.  Horton loves a bed, he prefers it to sleeping on the floor.  He would actually like to sleep in bed with me......but the cruise ship beds are so narrow, there's really not room for both of us!

20 hours ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

I agree with Dianne.  Even though I have only cruised once with a service dog, I don't think inside rooms would be any issue. 

I usually do inside rooms, but did a balcony with Halo's first cruise.  It was very convenient, not to have to worry about taking him anywhere to do his business, just open a door and he was free to come in and out.

Linda and Halo

Haven't posted in quite some time but I read along regularly. My son has had his service dog for almost a year now.

We recently returned from a trip to FL. This champion of a dog was behaved perfectly on a three day car ride, a half mile trek into and down in a cave, and the half mile back out (including having to pass a huge group of screaming school children at one point!) a boat tour lasting three hours AND the big victory, we made it through security and handled two airplane flights! He was not impressed with take off and landing, but didn't make a sound. Just stared at the floor of the plane and then looked to my son for reassurance that all was well. He spent the week enjoying long walks, playing on the balcony of our condo and laying by the pool (with his own towel and mini umbrella, of course!😎)

It was an amazing, low stress trip for my son who is now considering cruising with Max. Much thanks to all on this thread. Between here and YouTube, we had such a wealth of how to travel with a service dog. 

• Like 1

I rented "Pick of the Litter" last night. It is an Amazon documentary about 5 puppies from the same litter going through puppy training and then guide dog for the blind training. I won't ruin it for you, but it is very educational and shows a lot of what you wonderful puppy trainers go through, and also how strict the organization is in deciding which dogs move on for training and which ones actually make it through all the training and are assigned to vision impaired candidates.

One of the most interesting things was how they have to train these guide dogs to actually disobey their owners if they are given a command which would take them into danger.

It is a rental even if you are a Prime member - but well worth the price.

I love to watch these intelligent beings "think on their own!"  Horton has to "override" commands on a daily basis.  I may ask him to "down/stay" and then a fire alarm will go off and he has to "alert" me to the alarm; meaning he has to get up, walk over to me and tap me on the leg or tug at his leash or turn abruptly.

I will forever be grateful to Brenda and now Horton for ALWAYS making me feel safe and whole!!!!!

• Like 1

On 12/28/2018 at 11:59 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Sounds good, Keith - I’m going to find it and watch. I’ve always been interested in the “intelligent disobedience” concept for Guide Dogs, too.

Hey Chris - to be honest they just touch on that briefly; most of the doc is about interactions between puppy raisers and how strict the organization is about keeping them and the dogs on schedule;and then once they get to the final training, well.... It's pretty brutal in some aspects...but when you consider what is at stake I get it.

Have a wonderful, warm and safe weekend everyone.

Question:  What is the biggest difference that your Service Dog has made in your or your family members life?

Horton makes me feel safe.  I no longer need to be so hyper-vigilant. Also, having Horton in my life lets the public know that there's something "different" about me.  Although my disability might not be visible  or obvious, they are made aware by his presence that "something" makes me different than them!  Usually, Horton opens up a conversation between strangers and me about him.  I get lots of opportunities to make new friends.

Edited by wizard-of-roz

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Question:  What is the biggest difference that your Service Dog has made in your or your family members life?

Horton makes me feel safe.  I no longer need to be so hyper-vigilant. Also, having Horton in my life lets the public know that there's something "different" about me.  Although my disability might not be visible  or obvious, they are made aware by his presence that "something" makes me different than them!  Usually, Horton opens up a conversation between strangers and me about him.  I get lots of opportunities to make new friends.

I don’t rate my Max as a service dog, (maybe service dog in training).

but, what does he do for me???

Well yesterday I had a fall. The care, love and licking if the tears streaming down my face was worth more than just about anything.

Mrs G knows the minute she opens the front door if I’m OK, most days Max is waiting to Great her, if I’m on the floor, or in distress, she has to call out “Ok Max, where is he”, until he hears those words my boy won’t keave my side, as soon as she asks that runs and brings her to me.

Thata what Max means to me, absolutely everything

E1D1A3EA-546C-42B7-AEEE-A2FF361FB888.jpeg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Well yesterday I had a fall. The care, love and licking if the tears streaming down my face was worth more than just about anything.

Mrs G knows the minute she opens the front door if I’m OK, most days Max is waiting to Great her, if I’m on the floor, or in distress, she has to call out “Ok Max, where is he”, until he hears those words my boy won’t keave my side, as soon as she asks that runs and brings her to me.

Is this Max's kitty?  Very cute furkids.  

5 minutes ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Is this Max's kitty?  Very cute furkids.  

It my daughter’s Kitten, Max hated her at first but now they’re mates.

our daughters Dalmatian on the other hand is Max’s Best buddy

E3E78EF5-CAD2-48AA-80EF-2104ED658C1A.jpeg

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 4:25 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

IHalo although a trained mobility dog, has alerted me to possible pass outs several times.  I and the doctors have no idea why they happen, but Halo seems to know, alerts me and I sit down before anything happens.  He stays by my side until it passes.  When I am in my wheelchair, he will get things I drop or a blanket if I ask him.  We are training him to open and shut doors and will be trained to push a button on a phone for emergency if I fall and unable to respond.  My disease is progressive, so he is always being trained for new things.  When I first got him, I was walking and he was mobility for balance.

I am alone a lot, as my husband is gone on jobs.  Although Halo is a big scaredy cat, his bark is scary to those who don't know him.  So he makes me feel safer being along.

Hope everyone had good holidays.  I have been offline for a few weeks. 

My daughter and her boyfriend came for 10 days over Christmas.  We went to some of the Disney World parks.  First time for Halo.  He was awesome.  The weather was perfect.  

Then my computer crashed, luckily I had just backed up EVERYTHING two days before.  So, I was down for about a week.  With owning our own business and it coming up on tax season, I have been very busy playing catch up and getting things ready for tax season.

Also getting ready for our 17 day trip to Europe at the end of February.  And doing a quick trip to Illinois between now and then.  Mom is in the nursing home with a broken leg and I have a brother losing his battle with cancer.  I just feel I need to see them before the big trip to Europe.

Linda and Halo

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:42 PM, GUT2407 said:

Wonderful picture, thank you for sharing it.  Our lives are so enriched by our furry friends.