Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I have a question. I know you have done a back to back Roz so you and anyone else that has information is appreciated. I am doing a b2b through the canal. I will get my 7001 right before we go. The vet has made sure Chavela is up to date on all of her medical. My question is, will they demand a new 7001 when we turn around in Fort Lauderdale? How do you get one that is within the time frame. My 7001 will be more than two weeks old. I don't want to get left in Florida. I'm hoping that they look at it as a continuation of our cruise and not the start. Thanks for the help.

What cruise line are you on?  Is it a 7 night followed by the canal cruise or back and forth through the canal?  

My first thought is that if you get it as late as possible before the first cruise, you'll likely be fine.  After all, all of your movements will have been tracked.  You won't be doing a new check in in Fort Lauderdale, you'll do the B2B proceedure on the ship, where you meet in a lounge and walk off, get your new cards and walk back on, all as a group, or however the line you will be on does it.  I know how Celebrity does it,and I assume most are the same when doing a B2B in the US.  

Have you filled out the Special Needs department's document, and do they have both cruise reservation numbers attached?  

I am doing two canal cruises. From San Diego to FL and then back to San Diego. 16 days each. It is on HAL and I have told special needs including my task report to them. My pcc has told them and I will keep copies of everything in one book for Chavela. It’s one cruise to me but I expect we will have to do the parade like they made you do. I would be so happy if we just lounge meet and get our new cards. 

You are on my Dream Cruise with a B2B PC cruise!  I loved going through the canal, and the history is fascinating!  I was very worried on our PC cruise, as we left out of San Diego but spent several days there ahead of time, so we were not within the 10 or 14 day window for Colombia or Grand Cayman (and GC Dept of Ag told us even if we were not disembarking, we had to get the health certificate within 10 days of entering Cayman waters.  It was Day 12 of our cruise, and 15 days after we flew out to San Diego).  If you are leaving out of SD you will hit those 2 ports after the timeline - Colombia doesn’t care - pay your $110 cash for the inspection and have your electronic endorsement and you can do what you want -  they don’t care, they just want the $$.  We didn’t get off in GC, and were asked to do nothing at that port.   We would NOT get off again in Colombia either.  

Putting all your ports on one 7001 form is going to be a lot, but it essentially IS a closed loop cruise, all on the same ship, so I would think it would suffice versus getting a second inspection in FLL. 

Unfortunately, since part one of your cruise ends in the US, you'll have to disembark in Ft. Lauderdale.  US Customs and Border Patrol requires that the ship "zero-out" the passenger count.  

We've done a number of B2B cruises that have gone through Port Everglades.  Ours have all been on Celebrity.  They were closed-loop, but I imagine the situation will be mostly the same.  You'll need to disembark with your ship card, your passport and other documentation and see US CBP.  They will probably simply visually check your passport, then allow you back on board.  You should probably ask on the HAL board regarding their B2B proceedures.

Beyond that, make sure you have documentation for both cruises from special needs, and that is all you can do.  

I’m doing a 27 night Panama Canal Cruise (January, 2021) leaving from Southampton and stopping in Hamilton and Montego Bay.  The paperwork, especially for Jamaica, is intense!

I’m not planning on getting off the ship at either port so can anyone tell me how that works?  Do I still need the titre test and all the rest?  I live in Canada, anyone know if there’s anything other than the Canadian International Health Certificate I should look into?  Nico has his UK/EU Pet Passport I’m good to go for the UK.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

13 hours ago, lindaler said:

I have a question. I know you have done a back to back Roz so you and anyone else that has information is appreciated. I am doing a b2b through the canal. I will get my 7001 right before we go. The vet has made sure Chavela is up to date on all of her medical. My question is, will they demand a new 7001 when we turn around in Fort Lauderdale? How do you get one that is within the time frame. My 7001 will be more than two weeks old. I don't want to get left in Florida. I'm hoping that they look at it as a continuation of our cruise and not the start. Thanks for the help.

While on a B/B there is more lee-way when it comes to the dates required on the 7001 paperwork.  I'm almost positive that you will be fine with the one you have.  The required dates and cruising with our SD's can pose a few problems with the dates required and the officials that request them.

8 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

I’m doing a 27 night Panama Canal Cruise (January, 2021) leaving from Southampton and stopping in Hamilton and Montego Bay.  The paperwork, especially for Jamaica, is intense!

I’m not planning on getting off the ship at either port so can anyone tell me how that works?  Do I still need the titre test and all the rest?  I live in Canada, anyone know if there’s anything other than the Canadian International Health Certificate I should look into?  Nico has his UK/EU Pet Passport I’m good to go for the UK.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Even though you say you are not getting off the ship, it is still required that you have all the necessary paperwork for your dog. 

If there were an emergency and everyone were asked to disembark in any given port, and that port required a titre test to be done........they will expect that you had all required paperwork in order to board the ship.

9 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Even though you say you are not getting off the ship, it is still required that you have all the necessary paperwork for your dog. 

If there were an emergency and everyone were asked to disembark in any given port, and that port required a titre test to be done........they will expect that you had all required paperwork in order to board the ship.

So I’ll need the titre test?  Darn!

6 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

I never do the paperwork if we are not getting off the ship. The guest services chick on this cruise was clueless and tried to get us fill out 5 pages of paperwork for Grand Turk. We told her the paperwork she gave us was to be filled out by the vet and she asked us to fill it out anyway. We tried to explain but she just wasnt getting it. Anyway we did not fill it out. 

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 4:29 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

Happy Weekend everyone.   

I've been meaning to contact CCI about Horton's retirement but I've been so busy with family issues I've put off officially retiring him again.  It's got to be a priority for next week.  And, I have a cruise planned for the end of May, of which I need Horton to be a part of.  The only difference in Horton's behavior, as he ages [he will be 11 years old on April 29th] is he doesn't like to "jump" into and out of my car.  Or, up on a couch, bed or bench.  This is not an important task except that it does require me to use a ramp while using my car.  He's still as sharp, alert and "on-task" about every other aspect of my life!

Letting CCI know where I'm at puts me on the "Waiting List" and alerts CCI to looking out for "just the right dog" for me.  They know me; they know my needs, my wants and my desires for what I need in a Service Dog!  I had to wait a year for Horton and Brenda was not put into full retirement from going to work with me until I actually had my Team Training date.  She was 11 years old when she retired.

I don't think I'll take another dog until after Horty's gone.......see, there I go weeping......this is an impossible subject that MUST be broached but is so difficult for me to do!  This is all so much tougher than Brenda's retirement because I'm now alone, I have no "back-up" strength.  To not have Horton in my life just devastates my senses.

I need to attack this soon, I know!  And, I know that CCI will be supportive and helpful.

Don't make me cry now Roz. I know Horty now so that makes it more emotional. We have never retired a dog. They have always worked until they passed. I hate those later years when you don't know what to do. I know you don't have Morey but you have your family and you have all of us for support. ❤️

On 1/11/2020 at 1:04 PM, S.S. Cruisers said:

Awww Roz, now you have me all teary eyed.  Life has been a bit difficult lately for me anyway.  My sister passed away Thursday evening.  Her and my oldest sister had some beef with me and my other sister that they would just not let go of.  And I really still don't know what it was about.  Anyway, of course I feel guilty that we couldn't mend it (I tried) and now she is gone.  I am sure we won't be invited to the funeral or included in any part of it.  My oldest niece (My oldest sister's daughter) and my other niece (the daughter of the sister that passed) do try and keep me informed, but it is strained at times.  Enough teary crapola.

Cindy:  I had to pick a name for Oakie that rhymed! I'm sure he is not pokey!  Rocky is way more like a Rocket!  

Nancy, I'm so sorry to hear about your sister. You can call Oakie what ever you want. ❤️

So we are back. Cruise was great. Oak was perfect. Boy he loves the balcony. Wexler hated it and would never go out there. He also hated glass elevators. The ship was beautiful. Food was great. 

They had this new thing that in Key West we had to go through customs. They came on the ship and we all had to go down and show them our passports. Of course our favorite guest services girl has to call us 5 times to set up us going down with the dog. Customs was there for a few hours but she wanted the dog at 730. The ship didn't even get there until 8. John told her he would have to get up before 5am to be ready. So I took him. It's not a foreign country. The dog is from the US. I guess it's something new and stupid. I assumed it was going to eliminate customs in Ft Lauderdale, but no. 

The guest services lady was a pain. She wanted us on "standby" for all these islands. Not much of a vacation when I have to get up at 6am everyday and wait for her call. And she always asked me to bring the paperwork when she had it and obviously gave it to them before I got there since they never asked me for it. 

Oakland had a problem with the flight. He was acting very strange. Same on the way home. I'm thinking he didn't like the bulkhead seats. Maybe the wall freaked him out. We just don't know. He is very glad to be home. 

His favorite spot on the balcony below. 

IMG_20200110_114956.jpg

3 hours ago, rangeley said:

I never do the paperwork if we are not getting off the ship. The guest services chick on this cruise was clueless and tried to get us fill out 5 pages of paperwork for Grand Turk. We told her the paperwork she gave us was to be filled out by the vet and she asked us to fill it out anyway. We tried to explain but she just wasnt getting it. Anyway we did not fill it out. 

Thanks for your reply!  All those tests when we’re not getting off the ship - 🙁.  I don’t mind going through the expense for the ports where we plan to disembark.  I’ll try phoning the Veterinary Services Division in Kingston, Jamaica during the week and see what they say.

Looks like you had a great time!!!

Edited by Miki_moto

3 hours ago, rangeley said:

So we are back. Cruise was great. Oak was perfect. Boy he loves the balcony. Wexler hated it and would never go out there. He also hated glass elevators. The ship was beautiful. Food was great. 

They had this new thing that in Key West we had to go through customs. They came on the ship and we all had to go down and show them our passports. Of course our favorite guest services girl has to call us 5 times to set up us going down with the dog. Customs was there for a few hours but she wanted the dog at 730. The ship didn't even get there until 8. John told her he would have to get up before 5am to be ready. So I took him. It's not a foreign country. The dog is from the US. I guess it's something new and stupid. I assumed it was going to eliminate customs in Ft Lauderdale, but no. 

The guest services lady was a pain. She wanted us on "standby" for all these islands. Not much of a vacation when I have to get up at 6am everyday and wait for her call. And she always asked me to bring the paperwork when she had it and obviously gave it to them before I got there since they never asked me for it. 

Oakland had a problem with the flight. He was acting very strange. Same on the way home. I'm thinking he didn't like the bulkhead seats. Maybe the wall freaked him out. We just don't know. He is very glad to be home. 

IMG_20200110_114956.jpg

I love this photo.  That is what I can see Scooter doing.  He likes laying in the sun and being a nappy sun-puppy.  I think it is the yellow color compared to the black.

That 6am bit is part of what keeps me from taking Scooter sailing.  That and how much he hates flying.  I mean HATES.  So, he gets to stay home and chill here with friends on flying trips lately.  I just make hubby do all my retrievals when we travel without him.  🙂   Less packing as well.  

9 hours ago, rangeley said:

Don't make me cry now Roz. I know Horty now so that makes it more emotional. We have never retired a dog. They have always worked until they passed. I hate those later years when you don't know what to do. I know you don't have Morey but you have your family and you have all of us for support. ❤️

Your wonderful words and heart behind them means the world to me! 

I can't believe you never met Brenda or Morey.....it seems you've been in my life for so long.  I'm glad about that!  👩‍❤️‍👩

8 hours ago, rangeley said:

IMG_20200110_114956.jpg

Hello Handsome!  I love this dog!  He's such a chill, adorably funny, wonderful boy! 

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise.  That meeting with the officers in the AM drives me crazy too.  I told you that once I was so annoyed by the early wake-up call that I made one of the officers come to my cabin and take Horton for me.  I've NEVER done this again.....but, if they push me hard enough, who knows!!!!

15 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

I'm such a believer in; if it's not necessary; if it's over testing; if it's over immunizing-DON'T PUT YOUR DOG THROUGH IT.....I know this is contradictory to my previous comment but I do recommend that you have the 7001 form, with all complete immunizations listed, have your Vet sign it and then use your good judgement.  I think that some of what these ships and ports ask us to do is overkill!  And, sometimes, just another way to make money for them!

Just know, they will NEVER TAKE YOUR DOG AWAY FROM YOU.  Once you're on board the ship they will NOT make you disembark.  The worst they'll do is deny you entrance into that specific port that requires the Titre test.

Again, the ships Access Dept.  may ask that the test be done......if  THEY do, then you really have no choice but to have it done.

5 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

I love this photo.  That is what I can see Scooter doing.  He likes laying in the sun and being a nappy sun-puppy.  I think it is the yellow color compared to the black.

That 6am bit is part of what keeps me from taking Scooter sailing.  That and how much he hates flying.  I mean HATES.  So, he gets to stay home and chill here with friends on flying trips lately.  I just make hubby do all my retrievals when we travel without him.  🙂   Less packing as well.  

I totally understand what you're saying.  Take good care of your hubby......My Morey did so much for me, not until he was gone did I truly realize how much he did!  I miss him every minute of every day!  He was a wonderful, devoted and loving partner for many, many years.  I was very lucky!   

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 3:54 PM, rangeley said:

Last night I was playing the slot machine, John was playing blackjack so I had the dog with me. This officer was walking by and stopped to make a comment about the dog (he was passed out on his side) and asked about how he liked the potty box. I said it was great and he commented how handsome Oakie was then left. A crew member comes over and says wow he got the attention of the captain! I had no idea. He was hot! 😜

Cindy, I started thinking about the captain bringing up the topic and asking you specifically about the potty box.  I hope my post-cruise complaint on the questionnaire (about getting a tiny square of dead grass when we were on that ship) made it up the food chain as something important for the staff to monitor when passengers are aboard with service dogs.

Even though it wasn't fixed for me, maybe complaining got better awareness down the road. 

On 1/11/2020 at 7:16 PM, Miki_moto said:

Like Cindy, I don’t get all the paperwork & expensive requirements like blood titer for countries like Jamaica. It’s just not worth it for a few hours ashore, especially in tourist places we’ve been before. I agree with Roz that it’s a good idea to do as much as you can within reason. And I’ll take along all my papers (like the one titer test my dog had last summer.)

If it’s something relatively simple and inexpensive (like a leptospirosis shot or deworming treatment) I would do it. And obviously, if I was flying into a country, I’d make sure I had everything to the letter. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I totally understand what you're saying.  Take good care of your hubby......My Morey did so much for me, not until he was gone did I truly realize how much he did!  I miss him every minute of every day!  He was a wonderful, devoted and loving partner for many, many years.  I was very lucky!   

Definitely, Roz! 
Allen and I have been together since late 87, and I can’t imagine life without him.  He has taken amazing care of me the last few years through many challenges.

13 hours ago, rangeley said:

...The guest services chick on this cruise was clueless and tried to get us fill out 5 pages of paperwork for Grand Turk. We told her the paperwork she gave us was to be filled out by the vet and she asked us to fill it out anyway. We tried to explain but she just wasnt getting it. Anyway we did not fill it out. 

This reminded me that on my HAL cruise in April, there was a Welcome Aboard letter from guest services in the cabin specifically about port paperwork. Never saw that before on any cruise. A chart listing each date & port showed requirements. I just ignored it, as I had what I needed for ports where we planned to go ashore. 

It was so contradictory that it was funny, though. Half Moon Cay said, “Apply import permit 3 days prior - $50 agency service charge to process the permit.” (The ship was stopping there the very next day.) I already had my permit, but It seemed to suggest if you didn’t, you could get a quickie permit and go ashore if you paid $50 for their port agent to whip one up. 

For Cozumel, it said in the chart:  “Present animal on arrival with documents.” Later on the page, it had - general questions: “Do we have to present ourselves with our service animal upon arrival in ports of call?” Answer: “At this time, there is no need to present yourself at any of the arrival clearances.”  And of course, we DID have to present ourselves.

Cindy, I guess I’m lucky they didn’t call me to fill out vet papers for Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman, where we weren’t bothering to get off with the dog. And it turned out that the seas were too rough in Cayman (as they often are) and the Captain called back the first tender trying to dock, and cancelled the port visit.

You are on my Dream Cruise with a B2B PC cruise!  I loved going through the canal, and the history is fascinating!  I was very worried on our PC cruise, as we left out of San Diego but spent several days there ahead of time, so we were not within the 10 or 14 day window for Colombia or Grand Cayman (and GC Dept of Ag told us even if we were not disembarking, we had to get the health certificate within 10 days of entering Cayman waters.  It was Day 12 of our cruise, and 15 days after we flew out to San Diego).  If you are leaving out of SD you will hit those 2 ports after the timeline - Colombia doesn’t care - pay your $110 cash for the inspection and have your electronic endorsement and you can do what you want -  they don’t care, they just want the $$.  We didn’t get off in GC, and were asked to do nothing at that port.   We would NOT get off again in Colombia either.  

Putting all your ports on one 7001 form is going to be a lot, but it essentially IS a closed loop cruise, all on the same ship, so I would think it would suffice versus getting a second inspection in FLL.