Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

On 2/28/2020 at 4:43 PM, placentiagirl said:

Hi everyone. I plan on going on my first cruise with my service dog and I was wondering what type of shore excursions have you done with your service dog.

cheers

I'll third that Alaska was EASY!  I actually chose the excursions I was interested ahead of time, based on what they sounded like.  I had booked a Concierge Class room on the Celebrity Solstice.  Once on board, the Concierge emailed Shore Excursions, who contacted the Tour Operators to let them all know we had the dog with us.  Each of the tour operators welcomed us with the dog. 

We did the White Pass Railroad - the shorter one where you ride the railroad up and back getting on and off right next to the ship.  That one was super easy.  In Ketckikan, we did the Lumberjack Show and Totem Pole exploration, where we walked down the street to where the Lumberjack Show was, then afterwards we got on a "trolley" and toured a little bit.  The dog was welcomed at both.  We did a whale watch on a fairly large boat.  Hubby went up top for photos while Scooter and I stayed warm and dry and watched out the windows.  They spoiled Scooter with bits of smoked salmon (OMG HE LOVED the Salmon!)

At each port, we got off so he could get his paws on solid ground.  Lots of new grass to sniff and grass to spread his pee-mail to.  He did fine in the box, but the dry land helped a lot as well.

1 hour ago, placentiagirl said:

Thank you everyone for the posts.  Hoping it’s going to be easier then I’m thinking.  Since I’m going to be booking an excursion through carnival, should I contact them to make sure they tell the tour operator?

Yes, you should definitely contact Carnival and tell them about your service dog especially since your excursions are not in the US. I always send an e-mail confirming that I am bringing my service dog - that way I have a written record in case there are any issues. When I have booked excursions outside the US, I usually get an e-mail back that they will check with the tour operator. So far, my service dog has always been approved to come with me.

Also, although Alaska is in the U.S. You will be visiting Vancouver B.C. and some of their touristy areas are not Service Dog friendly.  Be aware of where you're going and inquire either from the ship or from the private tourist company whether or not you'll need to pre-inform the place you'll be visiting so that you won't come up against some unfriendly stares or requests to leave the area.

When we visited Vancouver and wanted to go to the gardens, we were asked to leave and then when we went into some of the shops, we were asked to leave.  I will ALWAYS ask the tour guide to pre-ask for me in the future.

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Also, although Alaska is in the U.S. You will be visiting Vancouver B.C. and some of their touristy areas are not Service Dog friendly.  Be aware of where you're going and inquire either from the ship or from the private tourist company whether or not you'll need to pre-inform the place you'll be visiting so that you won't come up against some unfriendly stares or requests to leave the area.

When we visited Vancouver and wanted to go to the gardens, we were asked to leave and then when we went into some of the shops, we were asked to leave.  I will ALWAYS ask the tour guide to pre-ask for me in the future.

British Columbia is service dog friendly - if you have a BC registered guide or service dog.  Business are allowed - even encouraged - to ask to see your ID.  Without ID they are allowed to refuse admittance. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Yes, you should definitely contact Carnival and tell them about your service dog especially since your excursions are not in the US. I always send an e-mail confirming that I am bringing my service dog - that way I have a written record in case there are any issues....

Please make sure you have the appropriate documentation and understand the regulations.

Aruba has specific regulations about dogs coming in from the Dominican Republic. If you are visiting the DR first,  be sure you're clear to take your dog ashore in Aruba. I don't think Curacao has the same set of regulations.

Aruba can be pretty warm, so bring a portable bowl and paw protection.

Curacao has more things that are walkable from the ship and, while warm, seems a bit cooler than Aruba (we were there in December 2019).

10 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

British Columbia is service dog friendly - if you have a BC registered guide or service dog.  Business are allowed - even encouraged - to ask to see your ID.  Without ID they are allowed to refuse admittance. 

Thank you for this information.  Since I am a graduate of CCI I do have an I.D. card but a lot of folks don't have I.D. cards [referring to their Service Dogs], since this is not something required by the DOJ or ADA in the U.S.  For this reason it's always best to take a copy of your dogs Aphis 7001 form with you when you go into any port.  It may be all that shops and tourist spots need for you and your dog to enter. 

37 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Thank you for this information.  Since I am a graduate of CCI I do have an I.D. card but a lot of folks don't have I.D. cards [referring to their Service Dogs], since this is not something required by the DOJ or ADA in the U.S.  For this reason it's always best to take a copy of your dogs Aphis 7001 form with you when you go into any port.  It may be all that shops and tourist spots need for you and your dog to enter. 

Having an Aphis 7001 form won’t help and an ID from CCI -  even though it’s an ADI member school - probably won’t either.  A dog needs to be registered with the BC government to insure access.  You could ask CCI if they would submit an application for you.  Registration is good for two years.

Edited by Miki_moto

22 minutes ago, Miki_moto said:

A dog needs to be registered with the BC government to insure access.

Is this new?  I travel to BC several times a year with my service dog and I've never been asked about registration or paperwork of any kind.  I know that they have an optional registration for service dogs, but if you don't have a dog from ADI it costs $200 to have the dog tested.  When I was in contact with the agency they told me that I didn't HAVE to have my dog registered, but that it was available if I wanted to have some sort of PROOF so that I didn't get harassed when trying to gain access to places.  She made it clear that it wasn't at all required and technically I shouldn't have problems moving about the province without it.  For $200, it's worth a heated discussion with a business owner or a change of plans for dinner!

6 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

Is this new?  I travel to BC several times a year with my service dog and I've never been asked about registration or paperwork of any kind.  I know that they have an optional registration for service dogs, but if you don't have a dog from ADI it costs $200 to have the dog tested.  When I was in contact with the agency they told me that I didn't HAVE to have my dog registered, but that it was available if I wanted to have some sort of PROOF so that I didn't get harassed when trying to gain access to places.  She made it clear that it wasn't at all required and technically I shouldn't have problems moving about the province without it.  For $200, it's worth a heated discussion with a business owner or a change of plans for dinner!

There has been a Guide and SD Act in BC for a very long time but in it’s current format probably since 2016.  

Without certification, a business can refuse you access/service.

“The Rights of Certified Dog & Handler Teams

Under the Guide Dog and Service Dog Act, certified dog and handler teams have the same rights as people not accompanied by dogs.

Provided the dog is well-behaved, a team cannot be denied access to:

• Restaurants and cafes
  • Buses and taxis
  • Hotels, motels and bed and breakfasts
  • All other businesses
  • Any public place”

Note the “certified dog and handler teams” statement.  

It’s Canada and we’re a polite people.  A ‘heated discussion’ may gain you access but won’t further your cause.  

Edited by Miki_moto

It is very easy to be certified in British Columbia if you have a service dog trained by CCI or a similar ADI member organization (I realize it is much more difficult for owner trained service dogs). I live in California and have the certification because we are in Vancouver about once a year. I have never been asked to show our ID card. Having the certification makes your case easier to prove if you are denied access.

Registration is voluntary. Here is the language directly from the fact guide on the Guide & Service Dog Certification website:

"The Human Rights Code prevails over other laws where there is a conflict. Certification of guide dogs and service dogs is voluntary under BC’s Guide Dog and Service Dog Act. Human rights law protects people with disabilities who rely on guide and service dogs even if the dog is not certified under the Guide Dog and Service Dog Act.

Service providers should not refuse service to someone who identifies that they have a disability merely because the person’s guide or service dog is not certified under the Guide Dog and Service Dog Act or is not wearing a vest or other visible identifier."

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

Having an Aphis 7001 form won’t help and an ID from CCI -  even though it’s an ADI member school - probably won’t either.  A dog needs to be registered with the BC government to insure access.  You could ask CCI if they would submit an application for you.  Registration is good for two years.

This is very new to me.  

11 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

It is very easy to be certified in British Columbia if you have a service dog trained by CCI or a similar ADI member organization (I realize it is much more difficult for owner trained service dogs). I live in California and have the certification because we are in Vancouver about once a year. I have never been asked to show our ID card. Having the certification makes your case easier to prove if you are denied access.

Registration is voluntary. Here is the language directly from the fact guide on the Guide & Service Dog Certification website:

"The Human Rights Code prevails over other laws where there is a conflict. Certification of guide dogs and service dogs is voluntary under BC’s Guide Dog and Service Dog Act. Human rights law protects people with disabilities who rely on guide and service dogs even if the dog is not certified under the Guide Dog and Service Dog Act.

Service providers should not refuse service to someone who identifies that they have a disability merely because the person’s guide or service dog is not certified under the Guide Dog and Service Dog Act or is not wearing a vest or other visible identifier."

Thank you.  Good information.

We’re wrestling with whether to cancel our March18 Circle Hawaii 18-day cruise for our 40th anniversary. A case was confirmed today, a Hawaii resident who had been on the Grand Princess at the same time as the man who died in California. Now, as you know, the Grand Princess is offshore from SFO after returning from Hawaii - with more confirmed cases onboard. Those passengers were recently ashore sightseeing on the four major islands.

I don’t want to get stuck in a quarantine situation, especially with my dog. Scientists are describing ships as virus incubators - definitely not a good place to be if there’s even one case on board. It’s helping a little that Holland America announced today a revised cnx policy - they’ll give a future cruise credit if we decide to cancel, which must be booked before the end of 2020 on 2020 - 2021 sailings. Before that announcement, we were looking at walking away from a whole lot of money.

My husband still wants to go, but it’s starting to look like there may be issues with ships coming into Hawaii, based on the Governor’s press conference this afternoon. 

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/03/06/breaking-news/cruise-ship-that-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-increases-likelihood-of-infection-in-hawaii-lt-gov-josh-green-says/

Edited by Caribbean Chris

54 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

We’re wrestling with whether to cancel our March18 Circle Hawaii 18-day cruise for our 40th anniversary. A case was confirmed today, a Hawaii resident who had been on the Grand Princess at the same time as the man who died in California. Now, as you know, the Grand Princess is offshore from SFO after returning from Hawaii - with more confirmed cases onboard. Those passengers were recently ashore sightseeing on the four major islands.

I don’t want to get stuck in a quarantine situation, especially with my dog. Scientists are describing ships as virus incubators - definitely not a good place to be if there’s even one case on board. It’s helping a little that Holland America announced today a revised cnx policy - they’ll give a future cruise credit if we decide to cancel, which must be booked before the end of 2020 on 2020 - 2021 sailings. Before that announcement, we were looking at walking away from a whole lot of money.

My husband still wants to go, but it’s starting to look like there may be issues with ships coming into Hawaii, based on the Governor’s press conference this afternoon. 

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/03/06/breaking-news/cruise-ship-that-tested-positive-for-coronavirus-increases-likelihood-of-infection-in-hawaii-lt-gov-josh-green-says/

Oh!  Chris!  What a dilemma.  My cruise is not until May 30th but Princess is making offers of FCC's and Onboard Credits now.  I'm not cancelling anything yet and hoping that this will all be a wash by the end of May.  And, hoping that Alaska remains virus free.  

Your cruise is right around the corner and Hawaii may not be happening right now.  If the virus is there, you certainly don't want to get stuck on a quarantined ship!  How does one prepare for quarantine when traveling with a Service Dog?   Not something I want to think about! 

• Like 1

Just now, wizard-of-roz said:

Oh!  Chris!  What a dilemma.  My cruise is not until May 30th but Princess is making offers of FCC's and Onboard Credits now.  I'm not cancelling anything yet and hoping that this will all be a wash by the end of May.  And, hoping that Alaska remains virus free.  

Your cruise is right around the corner and Hawaii may not be happening right now.  If the virus is there, you certainly don't want to get stuck on a quarantined ship!  How does one prepare for quarantine when traveling with a Service Dog?   Not something I want to think about! 

I'm sure glad I'm not a travel agent now!!!!!

17 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

That is a real dilemma Chris. We are wondering what to do about our Hawaii cruise too, but we have until April 17th to decide. It would be a shame to have to cancel now after all the planning you have done. At least now that the cruise lines are offering a future cruise credit it makes the financial hit less. The two Princess ships that have been impacted do give cause for concern, but as far as I know there have been many ships cruising the Caribbean for the last month with few issues. At least its not a European cruise where you would be potentially quarantined in a foreign country a long way from home.

6 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

That is a real dilemma Chris. We are wondering what to do about our Hawaii cruise too, but we have until April 17th to decide. It would be a shame to have to cancel now after all the planning you have done. At least now that the cruise lines are offering a future cruise credit it makes the financial hit less. The two Princess ships that have been impacted do give cause for concern, but as far as I know there have been many ships cruising the Caribbean for the last month with few issues. At least its not a European cruise where you would be potentially quarantined in a foreign country a long way from home.

Call me crazy but being quarantined near home would be so much worse than being far away.  To know that I was so close to both family and friends in California, Oregon and Washington would make me nuts, whereas in a foreign country I'd have absolutely no choice but to stay put!

I still have my cruise on May 30th to Alaska in place and Princess is now offering more OBC's with cancellation offers.  As long as Princess is cruising, so am I!

To us, Hawaii seems very far from home with four flights involved to get to/from San Diego. I’d be less concerned about the whole thing if we were doing a Caribbean cruise from Florida, which is very routine for us. But the bottom line is not risking being quarantined with the dog. It would be difficult enough for just us. 

So we’ve decided we’ll cancel this week. I’ll call the vet tomorrow to cancel the health inspection. It would be nice if HAL cancels first since we’d  get a cash refund instead of a future cruise credit. Now the State Dept is warning “older” people to avoid cruises (we’re in our 70s), and the Lt.-Governor of Hawaii has asked the administration to ban cruise ships from coming into Hawaii.

Hope to go to Hawaii next year to use the credit and use that pricey Kansas State Lab blood titer -If not, will look at a Caribbean Christmas cruise in 2021.

Meanwhile maybe I’ll find a nice resort here in Florida for a mini-vacation to celebrate that 40th anniversary. 

11 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

To us, Hawaii seems very far from home with four flights involved to get to/from San Diego. I’d be less concerned about the whole thing if we were doing a Caribbean cruise from Florida, which is very routine for us. But the bottom line is not risking being quarantined with the dog. It would be difficult enough for just us. 

Chris I'm so sorry that you are going to have to cancel your cruise. So disappointing after all your planning for this special anniversary cruise. It makes total sense though especially with all the news coming out today. I hope you find a nice alternative location to celebrate your anniversary.

• Like 1