Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

6 hours ago, allies_daphne said:

I am in the Tampa area facing the same things - our restaurants are not closed, but cannot be more than 50% capacity and must close at 10 PM.  Delivery and take out Is being encouraged.  I realize that they are trying to keep businesses going, but the recommendation for social distancing doesn’t really allow for the rules to be bent.  This is being asked of all of us, so that much like the TP shortage from everyone getting supplies at once, our healthcare system will face the same: not enough supplies, not enough ventilators, not enough hospital beds and not enough healthcare workers, because even though we will likely recover, if we test positive, or have a known COVID contact, we must self quarantine until we have 2 consecutive negative swabs at least 24 hours apart.  We are about 14 days behind Italy when it comes to COVID, and physicians there are having ethical meetings every day to decide who gets the limited resources (ie: critical care services).  The elderly are being left to die in most cases, because they are the least strong and least likely to be able to recover.  China and Italy gave us a glimpse of what can happen, and it’s up to us to try to flatten the curve here In The US.  

I hope you all remain safe and well, and that your pups have everything they need.  

You stay well too!

11 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

You can auction off individual rolls on eBay, Roz,  and cover the cost of your next cruise!

OMG!  Brilliant!  I'll be the big blonde on the news who was arrested for selling rolls of toilet paper on Rodeo Drive......Gucci's may be closed but "Roz" is available for all your Covid needs!!!!!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Process in my area is really just to stay home unless breathing becomes labored.  Since I have asthma, mine is regularly so.  
So, my physician says to treat symptoms, and contact if change.  Which is really the norm for this.  

We really don't need to know how many people have it, there is no real need to test unless a real cause to do so.  It is a virus.  I get that the secondary infection can become a serious issue, and so the goal is not to let a secondary infection set in.

Anyway, hope all are well!  

Actually there IS reason to test, because people could be asymptomatic carriers.  Someone who has a COVID exposure and doesn’t self isolate and get tested could pass it on to many others.  I promise you the numbers we have in the US right now are drastically low compared to how many really have it.  As testing availability ramps up in the next 7 days, you will see many more cases.  By the end of this week Quest and LabCorp expect to be running 20K and 50K tests per day Respectively, with less than 24 hour turnaround time for the result.  Many labs in local hospitals are also getting FDA approval to run the tests so cases can be identified earlier.

For high risk people (elderly, asthma, autoimmune, COPD, oncology and immunocompromised patients) the risk of this virus turning into an interstitial pneumonia is tenfold.  People can be fine one day and intubated the next.  

13 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

In my experience training adult dogs that are new to my home, it's probably just best to jump in and start potty training on a 6' leash in an area that your dog likes to go.  Take her out there, tell her "Potty" in a happy voice, and wait.  Don't let her move you around; stand in one spot and let her circle around you if she wants.  If she goes, give her a wonderful treat (chunk of meat or something she LOVES!) and make a big deal about how she 'went potty'.  Encourage her to drink lots of water, and repeat this every 4 - 6 hours.  If she DOESN'T go potty after a few minutes, tell her "Oops" and crisply take her in the house and put her in a crate.  Don't make a big deal out of it, but she'll sense that something went wrong.  2 hours later, walk up to her crate, ask her if she needs to go outside, put on her leash and walk her back to the same spot telling her to "Potty".  Often times dogs that don't go when we ask simply don't fully understand what we want from them.  If you are consistent with this schedule, by the end of the week, she'll totally get what the word "Potty" means.  Now, you have to generalize the command so she understands that "Potty" means the same thing in a new spot.  (Seems silly, but generalizing is a big part in training a dog.)  Once she gets the idea of the new spot, move to a different new spot, etc. Plenty of dogs potty just fine at home, but can't seem to get in synch with their owners on a vacation, which can cause problems (unnecessary messes, constipation, or UTIs).  Once your dog gets the "potty" command everywhere and anywhere, asking her to potty in a box won't even slow her down.  Mavis had never seen a potty box before our cruise and she didn't hesitate to use it.  I can ask her to jump onto a hedge and potty, and she will do it without any issues!! 😉  Good luck!!

Thanks for the help. Bella was born in July of 2019 and I got her in September 2019. She is very much a puppy still even at close to 80lbs. One issue I have is that I have 2 other dogs and live with my parents and brother still. The dogs all get to go in and out all day every day whenever they want. 

On another note here in Houston TX they have closed all bars and clubs. Restaurants are limited to take out and delivery. No one gets to eat in restaurants for the forseeable future. I was going to take Bella to the zoo last weekend but it is closed now as well. The stores have bare shelves and big lines. The pet stores are out of cleaning products as well since people learned that that stuff works just as well as the stuff for humans. I am not worried about food for my animals (3 dogs and 3 cats). The dog food is on auto ship with chewy and I recently got cat food so am good for a while on that. 

Just was looking at my phones app store. There is now an app for cruise critic. Only about 50 downloads so far and no reviews. It was released earlier this month. I am going to give it a shot. 

Hoping they do no close the national parks. My parents and brother are going to Vegas, the Grand Canyon and a few other national parks in the area in May. I will not be going on that trip but it might be a glimpse into out trip to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks in September. 

I am hoping my parents will decide for sure if we are going on a cruise next year by May or June. We will not be booking until August (my mom will not know when she can take off until then). We are hoping to be able to cruise with some friends of mine and I do not want them waiting to book until August if we are not going to actually go. I am an over worrier and over planner. I also stress about things way to much. 

4 hours ago, allies_daphne said:

Actually there IS reason to test, because people could be asymptomatic carriers.  Someone who has a COVID exposure and doesn’t self isolate and get tested could pass it on to many others.  I promise you the numbers we have in the US right now are drastically low compared to how many really have it.  As testing availability ramps up in the next 7 days, you will see many more cases.  By the end of this week Quest and LabCorp expect to be running 20K and 50K tests per day Respectively, with less than 24 hour turnaround time for the result.  Many labs in local hospitals are also getting FDA approval to run the tests so cases can be identified earlier.

For high risk people (elderly, asthma, autoimmune, COPD, oncology and immunocompromised patients) the risk of this virus turning into an interstitial pneumonia is tenfold.  People can be fine one day and intubated the next.  

Good information, thank you.

3 hours ago, springredheadsdd said:

Just was looking at my phones app store. There is now an app for cruise critic. Only about 50 downloads so far and no reviews. It was released earlier this month. I am going to give it a shot. 

Hoping they do no close the national parks. My parents and brother are going to Vegas, the Grand Canyon and a few other national parks in the area in May. I will not be going on that trip but it might be a glimpse into out trip to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks in September. 

I am hoping my parents will decide for sure if we are going on a cruise next year by May or June. We will not be booking until August (my mom will not know when she can take off until then). We are hoping to be able to cruise with some friends of mine and I do not want them waiting to book until August if we are not going to actually go. I am an over worrier and over planner. I also stress about things way to much. 

I believe that Las Vegas is closing......sounds weird, doesn't it!

I, too, am an over-planner....to the point where I can bring too much of one thing and not enough of another.  The more I relax and calm myself the more I find myself enjoying the process and doing a much better job!  I always tell myself to "keep it calm" and the more I talk to myself the more easy the whole process is. 

Unfortunately, I do carry the talk-to-myself a bit far and do it wherever I go now.  If someone catches me I just pretend I'm talking to Horton!  Works for me!

16 hours ago, allies_daphne said:

Keep in mind, each state and region in a state may have a different situation.  
Yes, people can be asymptomatic carriers.  That doesn't mean we are sending medical pros house to house to test residents.  

I agree the numbers we have are low compared to the number who have or have had this virus.  The mathematical models tell us that.  

A little over 2 weeks ago, the alarm was finally sounded effectively in Seattle, Washington.  The models estimate that the metro areas in the midwest are likely 2 - 3 weeks behind Seattle and NY.  Rural areas are likely a couple of weeks behind that  

My community is actually still not able to test within the area - it has to be sent to a state lab.  I'm lucky - we actually have a hospital in my county.  Many of the counties near me don't have a hospital at all.  They don't even have an urgent care center.  There are more cows than people in the county.   Someone released the numbers - there are 12 ICU beds in my local hospital, and 20 vents in the hospital.  Period.  That is all there is.  

Hence, we are staying home.  We are using Wal-Mart pre-order and pick up for groceries, and not leaving the car for the things we need.  

We will all get through this.  It is just a challenge.

Meanwhile, I have a great dog.  🙂

I went to our Petsmart yesterday, I got the furkids dogfood, the only difficulty was they only had the 15 lb bag for little ole 20 pounder Jezzy Lou.  I figured too much is better than not enough.  The young lady working there said it will stay fresh.  I usually get Kit Kat's food at the grocery store, so it was a great treat to get her a different kind.  She loves it when I first open the bag.  The little piggy, Leann Emily eats what is in her dish and screams for more.  Of course I have to talk to her and tell her it will give her a belly ache if she eats too much.  

Hey everyone!

I've just been lurking lately but I have to tell you, this thread is so amazing! I love how everyone is so helpful with tips for training and otherwise!

Mila was supposed to start her next training class this weekend but they have postponed the start date until April. I feel like it's going to end up being crunch time to make sure she is fully trained before our cruise in the fall. She's so smart though so she does really great! I think we will be okay but I will work extra hard with her. She seems to love to learn. 

Thanks for the idea about taking a dog on a bus to get them ready for a flight! I was trying to figure out how make sure she's comfortable.

The two things I'm most nervous about is getting to Italy with Mila and then getting on the ship in Italy. I'm doing as much research as I can to make sure I have everything needed. She will be a year old next month and once we get her shots for the year I'm going to get a binder to keep all of her records. 

Everyone stay safe!! ❤️

1 hour ago, Mabbiez said:

Hey everyone!

I've just been lurking lately but I have to tell you, this thread is so amazing! I love how everyone is so helpful with tips for training and otherwise!

Mila was supposed to start her next training class this weekend but they have postponed the start date until April. I feel like it's going to end up being crunch time to make sure she is fully trained before our cruise in the fall. She's so smart though so she does really great! I think we will be okay but I will work extra hard with her. She seems to love to learn. 

Thanks for the idea about taking a dog on a bus to get them ready for a flight! I was trying to figure out how make sure she's comfortable.

The two things I'm most nervous about is getting to Italy with Mila and then getting on the ship in Italy. I'm doing as much research as I can to make sure I have everything needed. She will be a year old next month and once we get her shots for the year I'm going to get a binder to keep all of her records. 

Everyone stay safe!! ❤️

Welcome!  Mila is such a beautiful girl.

Practicing on a bus is such a good idea.  She'll get used to other people sitting around her, she'll learn how to lay in a small space and most importantly to not get scared by the stopping, starting and different movements.  Have fun with her, and do take lots of pictures.

I love looking back at my Service Dogs in the albums I've made for them.  The time goes by so quickly and seeing them as pups always brings tears to my eyes.  The memories you'll share with her are unbelievable.

Please come back and share your wonderful stories of your experiences with Mila.

Hey everyone!

Everyone stay safe!! ❤️

Mila is adorable!

Italy only officially recognizes guide dogs as service dogs so be sure to contact any hotels, transportation providers or airlines in advance to let them know you are bringing your service dog. We were in Italy in November with my service dog and had no issues. Italy is very dog friendly and so you should be fine.

Mila is adorable!

Italy only officially recognizes guide dogs as service dogs so be sure to contact any hotels, transportation providers or airlines in advance to let them know you are bringing your service dog. We were in Italy in November with my service dog and had no issues. Italy is very dog friendly and so you should be fine.

Thank you for this! I’ve been trying to find someone who has traveled to Italy with a SD just for some peace of mind. We are staying at an AirBNB that is already pet friendly, but they know I have a service dog. I plan on making sure anywhere I go is aware ahead of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Welcome!  Mila is such a beautiful girl.

Practicing on a bus is such a good idea.  She'll get used to other people sitting around her, she'll learn how to lay in a small space and most importantly to not get scared by the stopping, starting and different movements.  Have fun with her, and do take lots of pictures.

I love looking back at my Service Dogs in the albums I've made for them.  The time goes by so quickly and seeing them as pups always brings tears to my eyes.  The memories you'll share with her are unbelievable.

Please come back and share your wonderful stories of your experiences with Mila.

Thank you! I will for sure! Here is a more recent picture of my girly. IMG_7182.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1

Thank you for this! I’ve been trying to find someone who has traveled to Italy with a SD just for some peace of mind. We are staying at an AirBNB that is already pet friendly, but they know I have a service dog. I plan on making sure anywhere I go is aware ahead of time.

About 8 years ago I was in Italy (at a train station near Cinque Terra) and I met a very nice lady from WA state who had a service dog.  It was a smaller dog that she claimed was for IBS.  I got the feeling that it was probably more of an ESA, but it was well behaved and stable, so I struck up a conversation about traveling with the dog.  She said that no one had ever given her any trouble throughout Europe crossing borders, and that she didn't have access issues due to the dog.  Talking with her made me feel much better about the possibility of some day visiting Europe with my current service dog!  I hope you and Mila have the same experiences that she had!

On 3/17/2020 at 1:04 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

I really never thought about people touching Horton but now I realize that if they're sick and touch him, they could actually leave germs on him and his gear........No more petting or touching by the public......for now! 

I have a drive up groomer come weekly. This week, I will let Jazz go out into the garage alone to her. She has promised to sanitize the truck before he gets in. I have masks and will be washing my hands and credit card before and after I pay her. I not only worry about another dog infecting her truck, then Jazz carrying the virus to me, but also, I worry about my getting sick and then have Jazz carry the virus to her. The bath should remove any virus he may have on him. I hope she stays well, not only because we are friends, but I can't wash this 70 pound dog myself!

36 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Roz, bet you're glad you ordered that toilet paper now!! 

I am glad but have not received it yet.  First, they told me delivery would be on the 18th, then the 19th and now they tell me it will come on the 23rd.  I suppose they could keep me putting off until I finally turn to using kleenex tissues and/or diapers.  We'll see!!!!

I never thought in my lifetime that toilet paper would be such a sought after item.  Soon, they'll have to give it us in a plain wrapper and people will be holding us up at gun point for our Charmin.  😵

• Haha 1

Well, stay in place.....whether that means quarantine, isolation, confinement or just plain anti-socialness!!!!!  Don't let it turn to loneliness.  Find a new T.V. show, game on the internet or on your phone.....call someone you haven't called in a while and see how they're surviving.  Come to Cruise Critic and share something interesting, or funny with us.

I hope everyone comes through this whole and somewhat happy.  I'll take happiness of any kind.  

Having a Service Dog in my life certainly makes life so much better in so many ways.  I'm grateful for the trust, love and companionship that keeps me whole during these troublesome times. 

Thank you CCI for being there for me and providing me with Horton The Wonder Dog!

• Like 1

I just got some good news today! Mila is doing group classes for her service dog training. There is a company near me that does only service dog training (You also have to have proof of a disability so not just anyone can train their dog). She has officially passed her first class and will be starting her next class in April! Things will be different this time. Since we can't have groups because of the virus we are going to be doing online classes via Zoom.

I'm just so excited and proud of her that she passed! I don't think everyone understands but I thought everyone here would. 

Thanks!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mabbiez said:

I just got some good news today! Mila is doing group classes for her service dog training. There is a company near me that does only service dog training (You also have to have proof of a disability so not just anyone can train their dog). She has officially passed her first class and will be starting her next class in April! Things will be different this time. Since we can't have groups because of the virus we are going to be doing online classes via Zoom.

I'm just so excited and proud of her that she passed! I don't think everyone understands but I thought everyone here would. 

Thanks!!

Congratulation, good job Mila.......You're both on your way to a wonderful life and amazing opportunities.  🐾

• Like 1