Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

On 5/15/2020 at 1:28 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

Thanks for asking Chris.  The Vet visit was moved to Thursday because Horton stopped eating, and all body functions.  He couldn't get up and down, would pant heavily and he looked like he was in so much pain.  Talk about the fear of God put into me.

I called the Mobile Vet, Dr. Chris Cauble.   He came to me on an emergency visit and did a complete exam.  He comes with an assistant who charts everything and starts preparing meds as he's speaking.  

I am so sorry to hear about Horton - you must have been a wreck (I know I would have been). When these labs stop eating you know its serious.

Prayers for a speedy recovery for Horton.

On 5/15/2020 at 2:28 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

Thanks for asking Chris.  The Vet visit was moved to Thursday because Horton stopped eating, and all body functions.  He couldn't get up and down, would pant heavily and he looked like he was in so much pain.  Talk about the fear of God put into me.

I called the Mobile Vet, Dr. Chris Cauble.   He came to me on an emergency visit and did a complete exam.  He comes with an assistant who charts everything and starts preparing meds as he's speaking.  He said Horton's heart was beating strongly and his lungs were clear.  Thank goodness!  After a thorough exam he decided that Horton had suffered a collapsed disc in his lower spine [just by palpation and rotation of his legs] and that the pain was causing him so much distress he was physically shutting down.  Every time he attempted to move he would start panting, it scared me to death.

He gave Horton a vitamin injection, a steroid injection and an antibiotic.  He started him on oral pain meds, Amoxicillin, Gilycoflex, specifically for joint [he'll stay on this].  And left me with appetite stimulants in case he shuts down again.

He drew blood and as long as his blood panels are good it looks like Horton injured his spine and is suffering with arthritis and a possible infection in his spine.  We'll know more about that after the blood work.

Today he's walking much more normal, getting up and down easier and is acting more like himself.  I, of course, have aged about 10 years.

I can't say enough about this Mobile Vet, he is and always will be a true hero to me.  He and his assistant Claudia took care of Horton like he was their very own.  I am so grateful.  

I wish you all a good weekend, I know I plan on spending mine with my wonderful Horton - THANK YOU DR. CHRIS.

Oh my.  My heart stopped when I read that he wasn't eating.  Sending healing thoughts his way.

Rich and I had a friend, 47 years old, pass yesterday.  She had a massive aneurysm in her spinal/neck stem and then a stroke. 

Linda and Halo 

So glad to hear Horton is responding to treatment!

We have a friend with a pet dog that is about 12 years old.  They thought their family pet was ready to go, but she is holding on.  She met the new pup that the family is going to be adopting in June, and they believe she is hanging on until there is a new dog to care for her little girls.  
Our dogs are amazing creatures.  

8 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I am so sorry to hear about Horton - you must have been a wreck (I know I would have been). When these labs stop eating you know its serious.

Thank you so much.....I will take all the prayers I can!  I am just not ready to say good bye to my Horty.

8 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Oh my.  My heart stopped when I read that he wasn't eating.  Sending healing thoughts his way.

Rich and I had a friend, 47 years old, pass yesterday.  She had a massive aneurysm in her spinal/neck stem and then a stroke. 

Linda and Halo 

Linda, I'm so sorry for your loss, so sudden and sad!

7 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

So glad to hear Horton is responding to treatment!

We have a friend with a pet dog that is about 12 years old.  They thought their family pet was ready to go, but she is holding on.  She met the new pup that the family is going to be adopting in June, and they believe she is hanging on until there is a new dog to care for her little girls.  
Our dogs are amazing creatures.  

Such a sweet story.  Yes, they are the most amazing beings!

8 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Yes, it is so true.  When he refused to take in anything I knew something bad was happening.  

Edited by wizard-of-roz

15 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

OMD, Roz.  My heart stopped beating.  Big ole Horty no more scares!  I just can't even imagine it.  I have no words, except I love you Roz and Horty.  Have some nice quiet time and rest that back, baby boy.  No wonder he didn't want to get in the truck.  It's a good thing we are quarantined and you weren't going out all that much.  Or, heaven forbid you were on a cruise.   HUGE healing vibes for you guys. 🐾💗💖🌵

Thank you so much Nancy.

Horton's blood test is in.  It's so complicated......He has: 

Lymphopenia [sp]:  Weakness in his immune system [all this social distancing is creating the "dog in a plastic bubble" effect.]  I need to be careful about his environment.  What timing on this one!

Phylangeal Hepatitis:  Ducts of his gall bladder are leaking onto his liver [this is probably an old age issue.]    This usually causes a cancerous gall bladder.  Right now there does NOT appear to be cancer.  This, hopefully will be controlled by diet.

Hypothyroidism:  He will need to be on med's for this the rest of his life.

The above issues were causing him nausea and an upset tummy, along with the tremendous pain in his spine.  Poor guy.  When dogs get health issues it comes on so quickly and literally pulls you off your feet!

Horton's diet must be NO FAT and for now he'll remain on all med's Dr. Caudle gave him, with the added Thyroid meds.

You should see me in the morning and at his afternoon meal time......I look like a mad scientist.  I used to give him cheese when he first started his meds now he gets a piece of chicken [not too bad!]  He's never had chicken before, he loves it!  And, he's eating like a Lab again.........

The doctor said that because Horton's heart is strong and his lungs remain clear, in spite of his age, and if he remains on meds, he should do well.  

There's no crystal ball here but I'm taking all prayers for Horton to have a good recovery and some more good years.   I'm thrilled to have him with me every single day!!!!! ❤️

I've spoken with CCI twice [one phone call was filled with both me and the CCI Associate crying through every word.]  Dogs are now being returned to Santa Rosa from foster care to start the advanced training process.  And, they know how important it is for me to have a working dog in my life.  Horton is done working, he has now, formally, been placed into retirement/medical leave.   My application for a Successor will be moved along the process and hopefully Horton will be able to have a buddy living with him quicker than we thought.  He'll be so happy.  He loves dogs!!!!

Thank you all for your wonderful and kind words of support and especially your prayers for my amazing boy.  I love you all for your cyber hugs!!!!  ❣️

• Like 1

Oh, no - poor Horty! And poor Mama Roz!! I just saw your post and my heart almost stopped, too. So thankful that Doctor Chris came so fast with his helper. And that you have access to such a wonderful mobile vet service.

It eased my mind to keep reading and learn Horty was doing much better with his mobility and his pain has been relieved. We all know it would be such a terrible, frightening feeling if something like this arose, so I hope you can take a few breaths now. Sending healing thoughts for Horton, and fingers are crossed that the blood work shows no issues and he can continue to feel better.

Edited to add - just realized there was a next page, and read the blood work update. How wonderful the doc got this information to you so fast! And it was good that he quickly identified a diagnosis and some immediate steps to take.

It was wonderful to read that with the change in diet and his new meds, he should do well in his honored retirement. Give Horty a big kiss for all of us.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

A huge puppy lick for each of you.  Tears are flowing.  I know I don't have to tell you to give that boy big hugs and kisses a gazillion times.  I know he is in the best care possible.  Purrayers Big Boy!  Eat all that chicken momma makes for you.  You might even give it a try and act like you don't like it and I bet momma would sit with you and hand feed you! We all love you To the moon and back! 💖

11 hours ago, puppycanducruise said:

I'm typing with teary eyes and sending prayers to you and Horton.  I hope he has a little buddy living with you soon.

Thank you again!!!!!!  I too hope that the Successor process is moved along.  He'd love the company of another CCI dog, as would I.

You know what makes me feel sad is that Horty didn't get to complete his 15th cruise, like Brenda did.  Can you imagine how more awful this would have been if my cruise on the 30th were still in place?  It's really weird how the timing on all of this has worked out.

As long as Horty continues to do well and sustains his ability to walk and enjoy his days as pain free as possible, I will be happy.

3 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

A huge puppy lick for each of you.  Tears are flowing.  I know I don't have to tell you to give that boy big hugs and kisses a gazillion times.  I know he is in the best care possible.  Purrayers Big Boy!  Eat all that chicken momma makes for you.  You might even give it a try and act like you don't like it and I bet momma would sit with you and hand feed you! We all love you To the moon and back! 💖

Thank you Nancy 😘  Yes, I would do whatever it takes to keep him happy and here!!!!

9 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Oh, no - poor Horty! And poor Mama Roz!! I just saw your post and my heart almost stopped, too. So thankful that Doctor Chris came so fast with his helper. And that you have access to such a wonderful mobile vet service.

It eased my mind to keep reading and learn Horty was doing much better with his mobility and his pain has been relieved. We all know it would be such a terrible, frightening feeling if something like this arose, so I hope you can take a few breaths now. Sending healing thoughts for Horton, and fingers are crossed that the blood work shows no issues and he can continue to feel better.

Edited to add - just realized there was a next page, and read the blood work update. How wonderful the doc got this information to you so fast! And it was good that he quickly identified a diagnosis and some immediate steps to take.

It was wonderful to read that with the change in diet and his new meds, he should do well in his honored retirement. Give Horty a big kiss for all of us.

Thank you so much Chris.  It has been a very stressful and eye opening week for me!  We all have or have had a wonderful being in our life that we feel "completes" us and just makes our world a better place.  Well, Horton is all that and more for me.   

I was amazed at the speed of the test results and so pleased that I found this remarkable, efficient and caring Vet.

I am hugging and loving Horton a bit harder these days.

15 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Horton's blood test is in.  It's so complicated......He has: 

Lymphopenia [sp]:  Weakness in his immune system [all this social distancing is creating the "dog in a plastic bubble" effect.]  I need to be careful about his environment.  What timing on this one!

Phylangeal Hepatitis:  Ducts of his gall bladder are leaking onto his liver [this is probably an old age issue.]    This usually causes a cancerous gall bladder.  Right now there does NOT appear to be cancer.  This, hopefully will be controlled by diet.

Hypothyroidism:  He will need to be on med's for this the rest of his life.

I'm so glad to hear that with the right meds Horton should be back to his normal self soon! Such a scary time with everything else going on. Happy retirement Horton and I hope your successor dog is available soon.

On 5/13/2020 at 4:58 PM, rpclmc said:

However, I was wondering what people on here recommend for supplements.

I have had phenomenal results using MSM on arthritic dogs!  I give it 2x/day to bowel tolerance for a couple weeks, then back off to about half as much/day for maintenance.

Happy to hear that sweet Horty is feeling better, Roz!  That sounded terrifying!

So sorry to hear what is happening with Horton. I had a 16 year old Dachshund named Angel that developed similar issues. We ended up just feeding her cooked ground turkey as her meals in her last couple of months. She would not eat the Rx stuff the vet wanted her on. For treats we gave baby carrots. Good luck with him and hopefully the new diet and meds help. I also hope you are able to get your successor dog sooner rather than later. Angel waited to pass till I got a new dog and she trained Tina for about 20 days before it was time to say good buy. 

Please post an updated photo of Horton soon so we can all fawn over him through the computer. Know we are thinking of you during this difficult time.