Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

8 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Roz, we are all with you and send hugs and love during this time.

Thank you!  He's laying in the living room with me.  He's about the same as yesterday.  I'm hand feeding him [as the Vet said, give him whatever he'll eat and stays down.]  He's eating some turkey balls on rice cake and watermelon for dessert [certainly not his usual diet.]  He's interested in it and that's a plus!  He's holding it down along with med's that are not so easy to get down.  He's with me, he doesn't appear to be in pain and I'll take all the time I can get.

Isn't it strange how the timing on all of this is?  Today we were supposed to be leaving for 14 days onboard the Golden Princess to Alaska.  This  cruise would have to be cancelled for sure!

3 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Roz, I can barely see the keyboard.  I know that no words can ease the pain you and Horty are going thru.  All I can b

do is send hugs and love to you both.  The decision you ultimately make will be backed by me a gazillion %.  

I love you bunches. 🐾💖💔💕

Love you right back!

Horton seems comfortable.  I hand fed him some turkey, rice cake and some watermelon and he ate it and did not throw it back up.  He drank water, went potty and now he's resting again.  I will take every restful, peaceful, painless moment I can get with Horty.  I will not let him leave me if I can help it.  It is my pleasure to give him the best life I can.

The hardest thing to do is get his meds down without him spitting them back at me!!!!  I am not so good for forcing them down his throat as I was shown by the Vet. 

Edited by wizard-of-roz

On 5/30/2020 at 5:14 PM, Plant said:

Roz, love, hugs and prayers coming to you and your sweetheart. 

Thank you so much for taking the time, in light of all the insanity that is going on in our world, to send me and my darling Horton hugs and prayers.

5 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Roz, you have always been such a great support to me.  Please know healing and peaceful thoughts coming yours and Horton's way.  

Linda and Halo

Linda, thank you so much for your lovely healing and peaceful thoughts.  I so need them.  Horton seems to be comfortable albeit not himself.  He is drinking and will go potty.  But,  he will not eat.   When he does, he throws up.  I'm watching him very carefully for any discomfort.  He's sleeping but obviously does not feel well.  His heart and lungs stay strong and clear, his teeth are in good shape and his mouth and throat look good [someone suggested that maybe he has a tooth issue], I made the Vet check him carefully.

I'm here for him and I pray he's able to stay with me as long as he's not in pain.  

I call the Vet tomorrow for an after weekend update and we'll see what he recommends going forward.

2 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Sending hugs to Roz and Horton from Scooter and me.  I hope he is having a decent day today, and wish you a good week.  
Please keep us posted on your boy.

Thank you so much Barb.  He's still with me and although he's not himself, he's not in pain and will eat some things but not much.  As long as he drinks and goes potty I will watch him carefully and pray for the best.

Horton is officially retired and will be kept calm, pain-free and well-rested.

Roz,

I’m so sorry Horton is unwell.  It’s heartbreaking when they’re ill during normal times and these times are far from normal.

I hope there is an answer and a treatment for him.  I’ll keep you both I’m my thoughts and prayers.

1 hour ago, Miki_moto said:

Roz,

I’m so sorry Horton is unwell.  It’s heartbreaking when they’re ill during normal times and these times are far from normal.

I hope there is an answer and a treatment for him.  I’ll keep you both I’m my thoughts and prayers.

Miki, thank you so much for your prayers and good thoughts.  Horton is the same.  He has clear moments of being his loving self and will come over to me to be patted and loved on and then will go back to one of his many beds throughout our home.  He's drinking water, with encouragement, and eating very little [today it was peanut butter [so I could get his antibiotics down] on a rice cake].  He did go potty and then he went back to laying down.  

I'm keeping a very close eye on him and limiting myself to very short walks.

Our weather is getting very warm today and I will keep him cool and rested.

Sorry, computer decided to repost one of my posts. 

Roz, my  thoughts are with you and Horty.  Once again I tossed and turned until 3:00 am.  I just can't shake the thought of Horty being so sick and my boy living with someone e!se.  Life sure isn't fair sometimes.  Actually it sucks pond water.  🐾💗

Edited by S.S. Cruisers
Duplicate post

Sorry, computer decided to repost one of my posts. 

Roz, my  thoughts are with you and Horty.  Once again I tossed and turned until 3:00 am.  I just can't shake the thought of Horty being so sick and my boy living with someone e!se.  Life sure isn't fair sometimes.  Actually it sucks pond water.  🐾💗

Thank you Nancy.  I'm so sorry that you're having difficult nights.  Nancy, you have to trust your decisions and not beat yourself up.  Surviving in today's society is a full time job and is absolutely exhausting!  You don't need to add any more strife to your mental health.  You MUST survive and take care of you and your family.  Without YOU, no one does well! 

I wish you easier days ahead with restful nights.  

Horty is being kept as comfortable as he can be.......what's happening to his body is part of the aging process in some Labs [so the doctor tells me.]  I don't like seeing these aggressive changes in his quality of life, but he appears to not be in pain, is drinking and eating some, so I shall take it one day at a time! 

Although, like you, I find myself losing sleep and worrying about everything way too much!  I can't help it!  It's who we are.  Stay the caring and loving lady that you are, through all of it, please!  And, please take care of you.  ❣️

• Like 2

Wishing all of you a peaceful, healthy weekend. 

What a week!!!!  You just can't help but watch the news and, in the beginning of the marches, when they were turning into riots and destruction, it was so difficult to witness.  I pray for all of us to be kinder and more united. 

When you become my age there's so much that you see, some things that I would like to forget but it's ingrained into our very souls.  I hope you are all staying safe and are finding a comfort zone within all of it.

UPDATE:  Horton saw the Vet yesterday.  He drew blood to do a specific test for Cushings Disease.  A very common syndrome in the older dog.  Unfortunately, it does come with a set of symptoms indicative only to this disease and requires a huge change in his diet and much needed medications.  It will allow Horton to live 2 to 3 more years with limited physical wellness and medications that MUST be taken for the rest of his life. He shouldn't be in pain but his activities will be greatly limited.  If it is not Cushings than the doctor feels fairly certain that Horton will have a 50/50 chance of having some type of cancer involving one or more of his internal organs. 

I am not willing to do any more extensive testing or exploratory surgeries on Horton.  The doctor advised me that he could take Horton to the hospital and begin the above but I just can't put my amazing boy through anymore.

I will have the results of this blood test in about a week.  I'll let you know what the results are.  Thanks so much for listening.

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 2

Roz, thinking of you and Horton everyday.  I wish I could do something to make you feel better.  

This whole craziness in the world is weighing on me and I haven't found my "comfort" zone.  I tend to be a moderate and I have a very liberal daughter and conservative husband.  I am not feeling safe in my space right now.

Linda and Halo

45 minutes ago, Plant said:

Sending love and prayers for Horton.  I love that you're not putting him through a lot of testing, etc. You obviously know what's best for your sweetie.  

Thank you.  I love this dog with my very soul.  He's such a wonderful partner and such a great spirit.

I promised him that I would do my best to help him.  For dinner I offered him an egg, he licked at it and then walked away.  I then offered him some pasta, and not until I put some weird dressing on it did he start to scarf it all up.  Maybe a 1/4 of a cup full.  Better than nothing!  The doctor said to try anything I could to entice him to eat and it worked.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

Roz, thinking of you and Horton everyday.  I wish I could do something to make you feel better.  

This whole craziness in the world is weighing on me and I haven't found my "comfort" zone.  I tend to be a moderate and I have a very liberal daughter and conservative husband.  I am not feeling safe in my space right now.

Linda and Halo

Linda, thank you for your good wishes. 

Remember, you are not alone, we are all feeling insecure right now.  These are truly troubling times, it all leaves the heartiest of us fearful and scared.  It was always such a great feeling that we could jump into our car and drive down to the beach, mountains or even take a long drive and get away from any nonsense going on in our community.  Now, nonsense is everywhere, there is no place to run to.

Wouldn't it feel good to lay down, take a nap and wake up in a better, more solid and thoughtful world!

Take care of you!

• Like 2

Thank you so much for keeping us updated, Roz. I’m so glad that you are getting the vet’s concerned attention and testing so you’ll know where Horton stands with his health outlook. He is so lucky to be with you. And I know you feel you are the lucky one to have him in your life. All will be well.

Glad that Horty has a doctor willing to do the blood test and at least see if that is what he has.  This sounds terrible, but hoping it is the Cushings disease, so we can all have Horton around for at least 2-3 more years.  I know Momma would feed him anything you need to go keep him comfy.  As for the medicine, I know how hard it is to get down there sweet furkids, but hopefully it will become easier.  Have a restful weekend with that sweet boy and keep us updated on his weird eating habits.  I know I love to hear all about it. 💖🐾

7 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Thank you so much for keeping us updated, Roz. I’m so glad that you are getting the vet’s concerned attention and testing so you’ll know where Horton stands with his health outlook. He is so lucky to be with you. And I know you feel you are the lucky one to have him in your life. All will be well.

Chris, I am lucky to have Horton Jeffrey in my life.  My heart is broken for him that he is not feeling well.  He certainly deserves the very best of the world.

Horton came into my life when my dear husband fell ill and suddenly passed away.  Then 10 months later witnessed Brenda succumb to congestive heart failure.......he stood by me, strong, still, and so lovely in the way that he never left my side, being a constant in my life when I needed him the most.  How do you not love a being that has been so steadfast and true?

• Like 3

Glad that Horty has a doctor willing to do the blood test and at least see if that is what he has.  This sounds terrible, but hoping it is the Cushings disease, so we can all have Horton around for at least 2-3 more years.  I know Momma would feed him anything you need to go keep him comfy.  As for the medicine, I know how hard it is to get down there sweet furkids, but hopefully it will become easier.  Have a restful weekend with that sweet boy and keep us updated on his weird eating habits.  I know I love to hear all about it. 💖🐾

Thank you.  I don't know what to feed him.  The doctor said to try anything and everything and don't worry about whether it's good for him [except the obvious no-no's like onions, chocolate, etc., etc.]  So, off I go to the grocery store to become creative in what will entice Horty to eat.

Does anyone have experience with traveling with oxygen.  We have traveled and cruised for years with our service dog - first Snow, then Shadow.  This we have down pat.  But now my husband is on oxygen 24/7 and one more cruise would be wonderful.  We know we have to travel to and from the same port and one we can drive to, i.e. LA because he cannot fly.  We have our eyes on the Carnival Panorama.  Does anyone have tips for protecting machines while embarking and debarking.  Or anything else we might need to know.  We are taking 3 machines and renting one to be in the cabin.  Thanks to all.

shadow vancouver2.JPG

When my Shadow was having a terrible time my Trainer friend suggested Sojo's - I order from Chewy, but you can buy from a boutique pet store.  You can also buy small bags to try and see if your dog will like it.  It solved his intestinal issues totally.  Also totally natural - just add water.  7 lb bag makes into 40 lbs of food - GREAT for traveling.

ALSO - you'll think I'm crazy BUT - give him Alkaline water to drink.  We have it delivered.  Cancer cannot live in an alkaline environment.  You can research this on uTube.  Fixed my husband's seizures and his cancer has not returned.  Couldn't hurt.

Good luck and blessings.