Flightseeing Help Juneau or Ketchikan

cruzingduo

We are interested in doing a flight in September but not on a helicopter. We are both too chicken. We'd like to do a floatplane and do a glacier landing. Is that possible? or do just helicopters land on the glaciers?

Any help & suggestions? Would we be able to do Misty Fjords or Tracy Arm?

Radiance 9-14-07

I don't see how a floatplane could land on a glacier. I'd really recommend doing both floatplane to Misty Fiords-if you do it with Michelle of Island Wings, she'll not only land in a lake, but she'll let you out for photos etc. The others we saw and heard about did not do that. Also-I did helicopter-glacier landing in Juneau with a friend that is afraid of heights and claustrophobic, and she had a ball. Maybe see your Dr. for some anti-anxiety med? I'd hate for you to not do helicopter due to fear. It was indescribable. As an aside-I got all my excursion info from these boards and it was most helpful-especially advice from Budget Queen. Happy sailing.

There are no floatplanes that can land on a glacier. You can take a ski plane out of Talkeetna, but doesn't look like you are going interior Alaska??

You might want to consider one the longer Misty Fjords glacier flightseeing tours.

We will not be in Talkeetna. We will be in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Icy Strait, Sitka, then on down the coats to Astoria, Seattle, SF and end in LA.

We wound have loved to find an excursion to Glacier Bay, but couldn't find one from any of the ports. We thought there might be one from Icy Strait because it appears to be the closest to Glacier Bay, but couldn't find one.

We did find out that there was a company called Goldbelt's that's gone out of business in Juneau that goes to Tracy Arm. They appear to be bought out by Adventure Bound. They have a trip that leaves at 9 am which we want to book, but we dock at 8 am and must be to them by 8:30. Do you think we can make it? We have to get to 76 Egan St on own our, no pick provided. We get back at 6:30pm The ship's in port till 8pm, wo need to be back onboard at 7:30. I hate all the stress with the times, but the ship doesn't have a trip like this and we want to see Tracy Arm.

We are investigating floatplanes to see Mist Fyords in Ketchikan. Has anyone done this in September? Weather may not be in our favor

We will not be in Talkeetna. We will be in Juneau, Ketchikan, Skagway, Icy Strait, Sitka, then on down the coats to Astoria, Seattle, SF and end in LA.

We wound have loved to find an excursion to Glacier Bay, but couldn't find one from any of the ports. We thought there might be one from Icy Strait because it appears to be the closest to Glacier Bay, but couldn't find one.

We did find out that there was a company called Goldbelt's that's gone out of business in Juneau that goes to Tracy Arm. They appear to be bought out by Adventure Bound. They have a trip that leaves at 9 am which we want to book, but we dock at 8 am and must be to them by 8:30. Do you think we can make it? We have to get to 76 Egan St on own our, no pick provided. We get back at 6:30pm The ship's in port till 8pm, wo need to be back onboard at 7:30. I hate all the stress with the times, but the ship doesn't have a trip like this and we want to see Tracy Arm.

We are investigating floatplanes to see Mist Fyords in Ketchikan. Has anyone done this in September? Weather may not be in our favor

There is Glacier Bay flightseeing available out of both Skagway and Hoonah.

Sorry, I can not say you will likely be able to get to Adventure Bound with an 8am dock time. You really need a 7am port time for this. You can see what the vendor recommends??

Yes I have flown Misty Fjords in Sept. just wonderful. You are best not to worry about the weather, make plans then if weather is unfavorable do something else.

Only heli lands on glacier but a float plane trip in Ketchican with Seawind is the way to go. We just got back and that was a highlight of our trip. WOW it was nice to see the millions of acres that we have not messed up yet.

We are interested in doing a flight in September but not on a helicopter. We are both too chicken. We'd like to do a floatplane and do a glacier landing. Is that possible? or do just helicopters land on the glaciers?

Any help & suggestions? Would we be able to do Misty Fjords or Tracy Arm?

Radiance 9-14-07

Last year out of Juneau we did the Taku Lodge Flight & Feast. Absolutely fabulous! Clearly one of our favorite excursions in our 5 cruises to Alaska.

http://www.takuglacierlodge.com/taku-lodge-glacier-flight.html

We just returned from our wonderful Alaskan cruise. I did the Misty Fjords Flight-seeing tour with Michelle & Island Wings. I can only add my kudos to those of "keeponcruisin1" - it was the highlight of my trip. She has been flying for 22 years. She has head sets on board for everyone (her plane takes only 6 passengers) where she narrates, spots wild life, and you can interact with her by asking questions at any time. The landing on the glacial lake where you can actually get out of the plane for photo ops with her & the plane, and hopefully see some wildlife up close was awesome......we saw some beautiful eagles & a nesting Alaskan tern. We saw some bear from the plane. The scenery is absolutely breath-taking! The weather cooperated and we had a bright sunny day, which I think surprised everyone, especially Michelle, since Ketchikan is usually cloudy & has alot of rain.

Whatever you decide - have a glorious trip. You will remember it for a lifetime!

Happy Cruising!

Call Adventure Bound and discuss your concerns. This seems to be a common question on the board. Unless you have to tender or are in the furthest dock, their office is a walk across the street. (Hmmm...just looked out, and the Royal Caribbean ship is at the furthest dock.) They may be able to tell you what dock your ship will be at. Businesses have a calendar with all the ships and their docks.

Where are you getting "76 Egan St"? The only Adventure Bound office I've seen is at 215 Ferry Way, which is a little street off the main dockfront street. Google map the location. 'Marine Park' is a disingenuous term, it's simply a wider spot in the dock with some seating, flower boxes and covered area. As you walk down Marine Way, look for the Harley Davidson shop; Ferry Way in the next corner. Adventure Bound is on the right in the big ugly brown building.

I've been on Tracy Arm tours that have waited a few minutes for breathless cruisers to arrive. They have a more flexible, "Alaska Time" attitude towards life. :D

tee_harbor thanks for thre info and both of my posts. As you probably saw we dock at 8 and have to tender. It's questionable whether we will make it in time. When we called Adventure bound we were told to go the office is at 76 Egan st and that's where we can pay.

I am a little concerned about booking this trip, but it' what we'd like to do

tee_harbor thanks for thre info and both of my posts. As you probably saw we dock at 8 and have to tender. It's questionable whether we will make it in time. When we called Adventure bound we were told to go the office is at 76 Egan st and that's where we can pay.

Tendering does raise concerns. But from reading the boards, it sounds as though it's possible to get early tenders once you're on board. Truly, once the tender lands, you're a ten minute walk from either their office or dock. I believe all tenders come in next to the big green building that holds the Twisted Fish restaurant. Head left immediately along South Franklin/Marine Way for either the Ferry Way office or their dock. Their dock is down a gangplank with a blue cover. If there's a Holland America ship in, it's between that ship and The Wharf, the big blue building.

When did you talk to Adventure Bound? I wonder if there was some sort of crossed wires earlier in the season, because I glanced over at the Goldbelt Tours office when I drove into town today, and it's at 76 Egan. I can't see why they'd send you there if the tours are under the Adventure Bound umbrella.

I forgot to add, I'd take their office # with me--it opens at 7am; they'll be there--and call, let them know your progress. I'm sure they'll wait if you're a bit late, as long as they know you're actually going to show up.

Sorry but tendering definately adds another problem. In Alaska a greater number of people are early risers and loading/unloading, security etc ALL takes a great deal of time. Perhaps they will have walk up space?? Try and get there, but I would not book anything with a big cancelation penality. Maybe you could call them with your credit card information and go direct to boarding, when on the tender??

tee_harbor & BQ we found out more info about the boat tour to TA. It leaves at 9 am from Seadrome dock which is between Whittier and Willoughby Ave's.

It's a walk considering we dock at 8 am and we need to be there by 8:30.

We really want to go, but we may need wings to fly to make it.

I realized I was leading you astray (trying to be helpful, but sometimes that only confuses things) and I was a bit confused myself, so I dropped by the Adventure Bound office this afternoon. Besides, I think this info's important for others taking the 9am Tracy Arm Tour.

Yes, you check into the Goldbelt Tours office. The Seadome Dock is right next door. Follow my original directions to turn left/north once you get off tender. You'll see a bright blue waterfront building, The Wharf at the end of the cruise ship docks. The Goldbelt building is a brown building right past it on the waterfront. It is 76 Egan Drive.

Do whatever you can to get on an early tender, and I think you'll be fine, walking time wise. The check-in is super quick and then you just scamper down the ramp to the boat.

Sorry that I was making things more complicated for you! :( And have a great time! I take every visitor on this trip, so I'm glad to hear there's a later sailing. (Not a morning person.)

I don't see how a floatplane could land on a glacier. I'd really recommend doing both floatplane to Misty Fiords-if you do it with Michelle of Island Wings, she'll not only land in a lake, but she'll let you out for photos etc. The others we saw and heard about did not do that.

We did our excursion with Taquan Air and they did the landing and all those who wanted got out on the float (we didn't touch land). It was fun, though, and the best excursion we had.

tee_harbor

Thank you so much for going to Adventure Bound. Also, I don't know who said tender. We dock in Juneau, no tender. So to repeat what you said. We know where the Twisted Fish is (because we were in Juneau in June). We go down that street pretty far I guess and the street name changes to be Egan. Look for the brown building, which is Goldbelt's and we'll find the Seadome dock right next to the brown building. Do we have that correct?

I cannot remember anything else once we pass the Twisted Fish for more landmarks, but I think we just go down that same street untill we see Goldbelt's building.

Thanks so much. I hope we make it. We really would like to see Tracy Arm.

Here's a question, I forgot to ask - In September will the water be very rough? Do you know?

Thanks again!

Hmmm...your post #10 mentions tendering, but again, perhaps we're talking around each other! :D

I know these streets names and such make it seem like great distances, but it's a couple of city blocks, if you're not at the furthest dock. I tend to navigate by landmarks, but if you look at the dock area as running south to north, your ship sails in from the south and the Goldbelt building is north. The street name changes about three times for some reason, but just ignore that and stick to the sidewalk that runs along the waterfront.

If you do dock at the furthest dock by The Rock Dump, I understand they have shuttles into downtown, but I'd assume you'd have to wait for it to fill, along with being one of the first people off. But you can still walk the distance in 1/2 hour, imo. Your main job is to be that first person off the ship!

So, with your ship at your back, go left/north along the waterfront sidewalk, look for the building with brown siding. It's clearly marked as Goldbelt tours, 76 Egan, on the front.

Thanks so much. I hope we make it. We really would like to see Tracy Arm.

It's so beautiful! I compare it to Yosemite, only flooded. Be sure to go up and talk to the captain. He'll let people know when he's too busy to chat, but otherwise, he'll talk about the area, running boats, how the harbor seals are scared of kayaks, but not them, anything. Recently, Angie Dickinson's daughter with Burt Bacharach died, and I remembered how he told me that every year, she would come and sail with them privately, spending the night next to the glacier. The girl was legally blind, but she loved the glacier because she could see its intense light, and loved listening to the sounds it makes. No fancy private yacht, but this squat little boat, with the seats pulled out and mattresses tossed down. And you could tell he had a bit of a crush on Angie. :D

Here's a question, I forgot to ask - In September will the water be very rough? Do you know?

If they use a boat similar to the Adventure Bound itself, the ride out between Gastineau Channel and Tracy Arm, in the more open water, can be rough, since the captain pushes the engine to get you out there quickly. Once in the fjord, it's much calmer water. The latest I've gone out to Tracy Arm is mid-August, but when I talked to them, they said they run tours until the end of September, so I assume they miss the winter storms. I don't generally get seasick, so it's hard for me to judge how bad it is. Then again, I've been on the tour three times, and haven't seen anyone become ill! :)

Archived