Canon S5-IS or Panasonic DMZ-FZ8

The best camera is, after all, the one you use!

Dave

Excellent advise, Dave.

If I may add, it's also the one you have with you, not sitting back in the cabin. (I think you may have even said this before, but it deserves to be repeated.)

Pete

Real nice article. Learned a lot. Thanks Simply to understand. My head is not spinning... lol

Thanks! I have a few more on the common subjects I get asked about..I'll try to post them soon.

....If I may add, it's also the one you have with you, not sitting back in the cabin.

Yes, you may!

(I think you may have even said this before...

Yes, I have!

...but it deserves to be repeated.)

Yes, it does! Again and again!

Happy shooting, Pete!

Dave

My reply may be a bit late.

I agree that for the S5 I don't think you have to worry too much about which brand you get, though I'm not sure how it affects movie mode.

About PNY Technologies:

Must be a US brand. Us here in Europe have never seen that brand. Could be like in the computer industry, a few producers and a lot of brand names.

I got some links to benchmarks on diff memory brands and types, unfortunately that brand is not in there, only the more well known world wide brands.

http://www.hjreggel.net/cardspeed/

check under Tests --> By Cards

I thought I'd hand this one too, though it's for dSLR's:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

Btw, I'm getting my S5 too soon. It's all sold out everywhere so I was lucky to find a small store no one knows about, had 2 left when I ordered mine.

About storage solution, do not forget that if you do not have a laptop with you, and even if you do, like I do, you still might want to have a backup option that is faster and smarter. There are portable storage solutions, cheaper than getting a bunch of cards, like the one I have, called Hyperdrive Space. There are many other brands and more fancy ones, but also more expensive and I don't think there is anyone faster than Hyperdrive. I'm very happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...

DP Review finally reviewed the Canon Powershot S5 IS! The only bad review about is the noise levels with anything above 100 ISO.

I guess I'll bring my DSLR instead. Anyone photographers in here have brought their entire "gear" with them such as multiple lenses and a tripod?

This will be my first cruise and I definitely want to take a lot of pictures.

Actually, the negatives were the noise and noise reduction at high ISO, the red fringing issues which have been well known among Sx users, and struggles with dynamic range, also a problem historically with the S cameras.

But that wouldn't necessarily be a bad review overall. Considering what these cameras are being asked to do - covering anywhere from 35mm to well over 400mm optically, having movie modes at 30fps, ever-bigger LCDs, being able to shoot 400+ shots on a single charge, built in flashes, image stabilization systems, noise removal algorithms, red-eye removal programming, face detection and motion-tracking autofocus systems, and the largest possible megapixel number to impress buyers - all in a single, portable package that fits in the palm of your hand and costs less than $500...I'd say all of these superzooms are marvels of engineering and wonderfully flexible choices for most novice, amateur, and even some pros alike!

I'm still a bit disappointed with all of the new higher-MP versions out there - the Sony H9, Canon S5 IS, Olympus 5500, and Panasonic FZ8 to me are all somewhat disappointing compared to their ancestors. Each seems to have compromised overall image quality to post more impressive 'megapixel' and 'iso' numbers. Noise is just too strong on these tiny little sensors, so making each pixel ever-smaller to cram more onto such a tiny chip (the new slate of 8MP cameras have exactly the same chip size as the old 5MP versions of the same cams - 3 million more pixels crammed onto a chip only 1/2.5 inches in size) means having to allow more noise in shots, or blur the noise out with noise reduction algorithms that leave smeared shots with no detail.

Someday, technology may make a huge leap and figure out a way to avoid noise in such a tiny chip (Fuji made a big leap over competitors with its larger 1/1.8 chip compared to other manufacturers). But for now, I wish I could get some of these great new features in the new cams with the same great 7, 6 or even 5MP chips that work so well!

Anyone considering an S5 IS, if you are willing to take a slight step down, I just purchased the S3 IS for $284 w/free shipping from beach camera.com. The shipping was very prompt, and I am thrilled with this camera so far. I think that the only major differences from the S5 IS is slightly smaller LCD, no flash hotshoe, and 2 less megapixels (not even a factor for me), and the S5 Is has digic III with face recognition.

MAC

• 2 weeks later...

Archived