Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Please look for and post on existing COVID-19 threads before posting a new one.
Host Cecilia

NCL Mastercard FAQ

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, peg013 said:

 

 We upgraded from a BA mid ship balcony to a B1 Aft Facing Balcony on the Jewel for 10,000 points. Would be a great cabin for an Hawaiian cruise. 

I wonder if we would feel the ocean more in an aft rather than a middle balcony.  We had an aft facing balcony on the Pearl in the Caribbean but I thought the water was generally calmer in the Caribbean rather than the Pacific.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Depends on what is a “better” cabin but it wouldn’t be best use of your 60,000 points. The highest one can go with a double meta is to a balcony so only thing it would do would be to change to a higher veranda category. 

 

If you haven’t made final payment yet, I would call and have it repriced at whatever inside category you need to keep the same room you have now. 

Oh OK that's good to know, thanks Clay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/18/2019 at 6:49 PM, HCTiger9704 said:

Have anybody applied for this credit card and been denied?  If so, what reason(s) were you denied for?

 

i locked my credit at 1 of the 3 credit beureus. (the one that got hacked.)

forgot which, by apparently it was the one that ncl credit card uses.

oh well..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2019 at 8:28 AM, peg013 said:

 

 We upgraded from a BA mid ship balcony to a B1 Aft Facing Balcony on the Jewel for 10,000 points. Would be a great cabin for an Hawaiian cruise. 

We have a family balcony on the Escape in 3 weeks. I have 11000+ points,it doesn't seem like I can use the 10000 double upgrade option?  We have 4 in the family balcony, there are few upgrade options for us, as far as I can tell. 

Any suggestions? Should we take the $100.00 OBC? Save it/add to it in case we go on another cruise? Thanks in advance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ckre4d said:

We have a family balcony on the Escape in 3 weeks. I have 11000+ points,it doesn't seem like I can use the 10000 double upgrade option?  We have 4 in the family balcony, there are few upgrade options for us, as far as I can tell. 

Any suggestions? Should we take the $100.00 OBC? Save it/add to it in case we go on another cruise? Thanks in advance! 

 

The highest cabin you can move up to is a balcony and since you are already in one, there is no where to go except to use 10,000 points for a higher category balcony. I doubt the aft facing balcony is available this close to the cruise so you are out of luck this cruise. You could take the $100 OBC but unless you are sure you are NOT going to cruise again, I'd save the points for a future cruise. There is more value (usually) in an upgrade vs OBC. You could also take a statement credit if you wish. That way you earn more points on the money you spend on the cruise and then use the statement credit to help pay for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Birdie And Sue said:

Is theer a page somewhere on the ncl web site that lists the point redemption options?

 

Here is link

 

https://www.ncl.com/world-points

 

Last week we used 60,000 points to upgrade from inside stateroom to balcony on an 11 night Alaska cruise on the Sun next May. 

Edited by kjquilts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2019 at 8:33 AM, SouthLyonCruiser said:

We stopped using our Norwegian card years ago when they "updated" their point system. 

Originally you got 3 points for every one hundred dollars spent.

They Norwegian, in their wisdom decided to play the "more points" game.

You got one point for every dollar spent; so, that's 100 points per one hundred dollars.

After we did the math on what a "point" really was, it seems that the 3 points under the old system were worth three dollars; under the new system, one hundred points were worth one dollar.

It was good while it lasted; we saved $4500 on cruises before ceasing to use the card.

I decided it wasn't worth it as well. My Amex points fuel my Amazon addiction!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just used 60,000 points for a double meta upgrade from an inside to a balcony stateroom on a 12 day cruise to Alaska next August. The difference in price was almost $2,000 per passenger so I think we got a good value. This is the second time we have done this.

 

It was a little harder this time making them understand what we wanted to do when I called but finally got it worked out. The first person I talked to wanted to send me back to my PCC.

 

ETA: when I made the initial reservation with our PCC he booked us in a guarantee inside without me realizing it. When I called World Points to do the upgrade, they were going to give me a guarantee balcony but I ended up paying $16 so I could select the stateroom.

Edited by hawk1972

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went from almost cancelling this card to keeping it solely to use the points on a Caribbean/Mexico cruise in the future as I have other BoA credit cards to earn the same points that can be used on the NCL card.

 

My question is that would there be any benefit of booking the aforementioned cruise with a TA vs direct with NCL?  I would be comping the whole cabin.

 

When NCL used to allow WorldPoints to be used to comp just the 3rd and 4th passengers for 40K of points, one of the TAs I had used in the past ended up charging me $50 each for the 3rd and 4th passengers because of the lost commission.  This TA typically had the lowest rates and doesn't give OBC but essentially built the OBC into a discount on the final price of the cruise.

 

I'm leaning to just go with NCL for ease to comp the cabin but was wondering if anyone has had experiences doing this with and without a TA?

Edited by eiloo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, eiloo said:

 

 

I'm leaning to just go with NCL for ease to comp the cabin but was wondering if anyone has had experiences doing this with and without a TA?

I booked by calling WorldPoints and they transferred me to an experience person at NCL who walked me through the whole process. I used 60,000 points for an upgrade from Inside to Balcony.  I don't see the point of having an intermediary when it is essentially a free trip for you. Nothing in it for them and they could make any changes for added perks etc more difficult to get if the offers change before your "final payment" date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wasn't able to use my points to do a meta upgrade when I booked my cruise. What are my best options on how to use some of them to save a few dollars. I don't want to use them all, because I know that there's more value to them to upgrade on a future cruise. With this cruise, the rate remained pretty close whether it was inside, oceanview or balcony. I didn't want to waste 30,000 points. My cruise is next week. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, karinad said:

I wasn't able to use my points to do a meta upgrade when I booked my cruise. What are my best options on how to use some of them to save a few dollars. I don't want to use them all, because I know that there's more value to them to upgrade on a future cruise. With this cruise, the rate remained pretty close whether it was inside, oceanview or balcony. I didn't want to waste 30,000 points. My cruise is next week. Thanks!

I think the next best deal is to convert points to statement credit. Use your card onboard, get the three points per dollar then pay part of it with the statement credit. If you convert to onboard credit you don’t get any points on that spend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Zippeedee said:

I think the next best deal is to convert points to statement credit. Use your card onboard, get the three points per dollar then pay part of it with the statement credit. If you convert to onboard credit you don’t get any points on that spend.

Thank you! That makes sense! Do I have about 3 months to do it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm looking at getting another credit card and since I love cruising with NCl I figured this might be a good choice.

 

The link given above for rewards doesn't work for me.

 

I'm in Canada. I remember someone mentioning on my last cruise that the credit card and reward program is only for U.S. - is that right?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I'm looking at getting another credit card and since I love cruising with NCl I figured this might be a good choice.

 

The link given above for rewards doesn't work for me.

 

I'm in Canada. I remember someone mentioning on my last cruise that the credit card and reward program is only for U.S. - is that right?

 

 

Try calling the NCI reservation phone number. I live in the USA but got this credit card thru the res agent transferring me to that dept when I finished my booking. The new card arrived a week later!  Maybe it IS because the cards are thru Bank of America.Ask if they have a Canadian equivalent since they do have cruises in and out of Canada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might have been answered But i need to cancel my cruise as my wife has come down with cancel. I have paid 10,000 points for a 2 cat. upgrade. Can i get those points back. If so what do i need to do? The cruise is January 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, jon46 said:

This might have been answered But i need to cancel my cruise as my wife has come down with cancel. I have paid 10,000 points for a 2 cat. upgrade. Can i get those points back. If so what do i need to do? The cruise is January 6.

I would like to know the answer to this question too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jon46 said:

This might have been answered But i need to cancel my cruise as my wife has come down with cancel. I have paid 10,000 points for a 2 cat. upgrade. Can i get those points back. If so what do i need to do? The cruise is January 6.

I don’t know if this is still the case, but there is a post here somewhere that said to call the rewards number first, get the points back and then cancel the cruise. Don’t cancel first. Again, this may be outdated but worth a phone call.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Zippeedee said:

I don’t know if this is still the case, but there is a post here somewhere that said to call the rewards number first, get the points back and then cancel the cruise. Don’t cancel first. Again, this may be outdated but worth a phone call.

they tell you when you use the points to book or upgrade they are non refundable 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used 10,000 to upgrade from a BA to a B1 on the Jewel in June 2019. I later decided to pay to upgrade to a suite and asked if I could at least get the $100 OBC that the 10,000 points could have bought since I was paying the full upgrade from a BA to the SE. They agreed and issued me the $100 OBC. Not a refund per se but I think as others have said if you call to get the points refunded BEFORE or at least at the same time as you cancel, they should refund your points. They don't have to but probably will. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, jon46 said:

This might have been answered But i need to cancel my cruise as my wife has come down with cancel. I have paid 10,000 points for a 2 cat. upgrade. Can i get those points back. If so what do i need to do? The cruise is January 6.

I booked a cruise recently, and was told by both the MC agent on the line and also Personal Cruise Consultant, that as long as cruise is canceled before final payment, points used for upgrade would go back to account.  I am not sure if this applies once final payment has been made, which based on your cruise date, is the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booked 1 NCL reservation (B2B voyage NY-SF-NY 20 & 21 days) 41 days for 2 voyages in an inside cabin and used 60,000 world points (to upgrade from an I1 Family Inside to BA Balcony) along with 4 CNs used.

Just received (Oct 02nd, 2019) my Amenity Confirmation from NCL of $250 per voyage, for the shareholder benefit (which means $500 on board credit is now appearing in my acount) which I'll use to purchase 4 Cruise Next certificates (CNs) on this next trip. May also be getting 1 EXTRA LATITUDES POINT PER NIGHT night for this voyage.

https://www.ncl.com/latitudes-rewards-program/insider-offer/terms?hide_hf=true

Now just need that "random" Upgrade offer to hit me (yes unlikely).

Safe travels,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! WYB! I am impressed with how well you figured that out. I will keep your info in hopes to do something like that in my future world of cruising! Are you renting out your house while you are gone for 41 days?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...