Food: What's best and worst of Princess food?

Ugly Betty Fan

There is NO bad food on Princes ships!

Ron

I'm with you on this one ! I have not found any food I could complain about. I don't have to cook it, I don't have to wash the dishes and so I'm very happy with the food.

:eek: :eek: :eek: They are probably "double dippers" as well.:rolleyes:

That would have ended my dining as well!;)

Did you have to eat with them every night after that?

If that had been my plate that person wld have had fork holes in the back of their hand...and a sore a-- after being dumped onto the floor - accidently - of course!! Then again, perhaps 'wearing' the dessert wld have been just as good, hmmm?

How crass - just unbelieveable anyone wld even consider dipping into someone elses food without permission but especially a strangers!!

Great photos, Desert Nurse! Thanks so much for sharing them.

The only rather bizarre experience I've had on Princess was one evening in "Anytime Dining", when our favorite waitress exclaimed, "I have something special for you for dessert - Bananas Foster". Having lived in New Orleans for nine years, I was delighted that a Brennan's "invention" would actually be served on a Princess ship! I was more than a little taken aback when it was served, however. What they called "Bananas Foster" was a chocolate ice cream sundae with sliced fried bananas on it! Naturally, I ate it, but wow - what a far cry from true bananas foster!!

Other than that incident, I've always found Princess food to be excellent, with a variety to suit just about anyone's palate.

And Desert Nurse, I tend to agree with you about Sabatini's -- QUANTITY trumps QUALITY!

Is there a menu of the cheeses available online or one that someone has from a cruise? We're going to be on Dawn Princess in November.

The "International Cheese Selection" (on the dessert menu) varies each night. Typically, there will be three or four small portions of a hard cheese, semi-soft, and blue-veined. You can certainly ask for more of one variety, none of another, or try the sampling of all the cheeses offered that night. I haven't met many cheeses that I didn't like but have mostly enjoyed on Princess the goat cheese, Camembert, and various blues :D .

On our earliest Princess cruises, Carr's Water Biscuits accompanied the cheese plate; now they bring packets of saltines - I tell waitstaff to skip the crackers. There is usually a small serving of fruit on the cheese plate.

Bon Appetit!

Chris

Surf and turf, pheasant, lobster tails, smoked salmon. All totally excellent!!

Great pics ! The first pic looks like it is on your balcony but does not look like the UBE, did you get this from room service ?

I love French night. Escargots (two servings), French Onion Soup, and Caesar Salad. YUM!!! We had delicious steaks at Sterling Steak House on the Sapphire -- haven't tried the steak houses on other ships yet. Love Boat Dream is a good dessert, but I prefer either the "William Pear Tart with Vanilla Sauce" (pears are baked inside puff pastry, then topped with a very tasty vanilla sauce), or the "Symphony of Mousses" (1/2 dark chocolate mousse & 1/2 white chocolate mousse -- to die for). All of the soups, hot or cold, are quite good.

Ah, another person who loves French night! Serve us both the same menuX4 and we'll be happy!

LOVE their lasagna! They use fresh pasta making it very tender and use bechamel sauce to add richness...traditional recipe. Don't like the risotto as it's not really risotto, they use the wrong rice so it's not creamy like it should be. I may be in the minority, but I really enjoy Caribbean night.

Ah, another person who loves French night! Serve us both the same menuX4 and we'll be happy!

Also like the french night, escargot is great along with the french onion soup.

I even got my DD to try escargot on one of our Disney cruises and she enjoyed it.

Thanks for the pictures, makes me want to try that eggplant dish - yummy:D

Desert Nurse,

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh cool! I was hoping you would say 7 day and this year-2007! I sure hope they still have this same food on our cruise on Golden in Oct.

I have read a post that Princess is changing their menus throughout the fleet. I have seen the menus posted and I am not at all impressed with it. They didn't even have Escorgot on the menu!!!!

Thanks for the info and again for the photos...keep adding to the album...they are great to droooooooooool over for sure! LOL :D

Please tell me that there is still Escargot on the menu !!!

Just want to confirm, anyone been on a Thanksgiving cruise, that they serve a "typical" Thanksgiving meal that evening. I thought I read somewhere that was the case. Am I correct??

Thanks.

When I cruised over Thanksgiving there was no turkey on the menu that day. As Casshew stated though, it's usually available 1 night (I think maybe the Landfall Dinner). So you should be able to get your fill of turkey even if it's not exactly on Thanksgiving day.

In the traditional dining room the waiters will "parade" with the baked Alaska. After dinner they turn down the lights and all of the servers that do the cleaning up walk around the room holding the baked Alaska. It used to have a real flame in it but now it's just a candle. All of the diners clap and swing their napkins in the air. Then your waiter brings his back to your area and they serve it to you.

My god, that sounds awful. It sounds like a Disney parade meets a Chuck E Cheese birthday, with the added bonus of food I'm supposed to eat being splattered with the end of meal detritus from all the napkins in the room. Since when was waving your napkin in the air good manners?!:eek:

Enjoyed reading the rest of this thread though. Thanks for the recommendations (and otherwise!)

The Creame Brulee (sp?) Is My Favorite!

Oh me toooo!! Last week mine had carmelized pineapple in the center. Yummy!! And a wonderful tiramasu. Best I ever ate.

Dont worry about taking food out of the dining room. My sister took a package of cookies EVERY night, they made them up in a tin foil basket, a Mickey Mouse head, a swan. I can tell you that many others did too.

Karen

Pasta Arrabbiata made by Carmello on the Grand Princess!!!! It was so good we had it every night for the whole week (years ago). They have not had it on board since (made tableside). Molto Bene!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D

Archived