Puerto Corinto, Nicaragua & Puerto Quetzal, Guatamala

Desert Cruisers

Here's another question. What type of dress is considered appropriate for touring Antigua and Leon? I'm assuming that these countries are fairly conservative and am thinking that perhaps I should wear a day dress instead of shorts? Yes? No? Doesn't matter?

Here's another question. What type of dress is considered appropriate for touring Antigua and Leon? I'm assuming that these countries are fairly conservative and am thinking that perhaps I should wear a day dress instead of shorts? Yes? No? Doesn't matter?

In Guatemala, we took the excursion to Lake Atitlan (Mayan Highlands) instead of going to Antigua. We and everyone else wore shorts. It is extremely hot (until you get up into the mountains like we did) so wear what is comfortable and cool.

I wore capris the whole trip. I wasn't sure when we would end up touring a church or in a nice restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned 2 days ago. Guatemala was wonderful. Our port was Puerto Quetzal. We took the $39 HAL bus to Antigua (Almost 1 1/2 hours each way) and walked around town on our own. The tour guide on the bus was excellent and extremely informative. The convent ruins at the hotel "Casa Santo Domingo" were amazing, and we thoroughly enjoyed touring the Jade factory.

Also found a quality textile store right across the street from the hotel with some amazing and affordable clothing, table linens, throw pillows, etc. All natural fabrics and the colors are not dyes but natural fibres. They also have fabric bolts where you can buy lengths for your own projects.

Antigua is a Unesco World Heritage site established in about 1513 and has a number of beautiful old colonial buildings. We wore shorts, capris, tshirts and polo shirts and had no problem getting in to any buildings. There was so much to see and way too little time to see it all, but we would certainly enjoy returning to see more. The people are friendly and it is very safe for visitors.

We recommend taking the ship excursion bus - it is good value for money and there is no concern about the ship leaving without you if there is a transportation problem (a real possiblity as the time is short and the distance is far).

We stopped in Puerto Caldera in Costa Rica and took the ship excursion to the mangrove river tour and the transitional rain forest air tram gondola. These were the only times we took the ship tours, but again - distance was an issue and we wanted the guarantee of the ship being there when we got back.

The river tour was great. In the 1 1/2 hours that we were on the river we saw over 3 dozen different species of birds and a lot of crocodiles. (over 4000 of them in that river). A truly rich eco system. The rainforest air tram was also enjoyable. We traveled through and above the tree tops and saw a 2 toed sloth and some Macaws. Their 1/2 hour walking tour was also very interesting. And their lunch was generous and very tasty. We were very glad we chose this tour. Costa Rica is very interesting and the many guides were very well educated and knowledgeable about their subjects.

Also, we felt quite safe and the country no longer suffers from civil unrest. They no longer have an army, their president is elected to a 4 year term and can not be re-elected. If they want to run again, they have to wait 8 years from when they last held office! They have a 95% literacy rate, schooling is free up to grad, then university is only about $200 if you want to attend. Medical is also free for everyone - including tourists who may need emergency treatment! 25% of their country is designated protected ecological preserves. Very progressive!

We did not need any extra shots on our trip, even though we had stops in Cartagena Columbia, Panama City, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and Mexico. We did, however, get our TwinRX vaccination series for Hep A & B this last year as recommended by our doctor, but they were not required.

Most of the other stops we made we just got off the ship and got a taxi or van at the pier. In Cartagena we got a taxi for $15 for 3 hours. Our guide spoke great English and took us to where WE wanted to go. It was an excellent tour.

In Puerto Vallarta, we just caught the local bus outside the terminal (marked "Centro") which took us to the boardwalk. Coming back, you catch the bus that says "WalMart" or "Sam's". It is 6.5 Mexican pesos (they will make change if needed) and it was one of the highlights of our trip! Lots of fun and we had some great laughs. The true Mexican experience!

There are so many choices and it is all personal choice. I hope you enjoy your trip - it is truly a memorable tour.:)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

In Costa Rica, we docked at Puerto Caldera which is in the middle of nowhere and ended up just doing a tour to Puntarenas because we didn't feel like doing a long tour.

We're anticipating doing the Tortuga Island Cruise on the Calypso catamaran http://www.calyp********s.com/cruiseship.asp out of Puntarenas in November 2010. Can anyone advise me on the availability of taxi's to take a party of 4 into Puntarenas from the Caldera port? I'm sure there will be plenty wanting to take people on tours -- and I am concerned they won't want our "short" fare anticipating someone better will come along. Does anyone have experience with taxi's at this port?

In Costa Rica, we booked the Calypso Cruise over to Tortuga Island for a relaxing, albeit hot and humid day in a beautiful land.

We're anticipating doing the Tortuga Island Cruise on the Calypso catamaran http://www.calyp********s.com/cruiseship.asp out of Puntarenas in November 2010. Can anyone advise me on the availability of taxi's to take a party of 4 into Puntarenas from the Caldera port? I'm sure there will be plenty wanting to take people on tours -- and I am concerned they won't want our "short" fare anticipating someone better will come along. Does anyone have experience with taxi's at this port

I thought they made pickups with a bus at a couple hotels/towns and took people to the calypso dock.

Stops for Costa Rican breakfast on the way

We are on Mercury and docking at the pier in Puntarenas, and just walk 1 mile to the calypso port.

Apparently they are not permitted to pick up a Puerto Caldera. Don't know about Puntarenas. We decided finding a cab is no issue. I did hear from the Calypso people and they even gave me the name of the taxi company. Thanks for your comment.

Archived