Holland America Line Introduces As You Wish Dining

Open Seating and Open Times Offer Greater Choice

SEATTLE, July 16

Holland America Line launches As You Wish dining, an innovative

program that allows guests to choose from the best of both worlds --

either traditional pre-set seating and dining times, or a completely

flexible dining schedule. One level of the two-tiered restaurant will

offer a flexible/open dining service from 5:15 to 9 p.m. daily, and

the other will host two seatings, an early and main seating.

"Providing more options for our guests has been a hallmark of our

Signature of Excellence initiative," said Richard D. Meadows, CTC,

executive vice president, marketing, sales, and guest programs. "Since

flexible dining options have become more desirable by many of our

guests, we will roll As You Wish dining out across the fleet to

provide the most flexibility, choice and service to our guests.

"We've operated As You Wish dining in a pre-launch phase aboard the ms

Noordam and the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive," Meadows

added.

Prior to their cruise, during the booking phase, guests will choose

flexible/open dining or Holland America Line's traditional pre-set

dining time (early or main). Guests with flexible seating may make

reservations daily during a cruise up to 4 p.m. or simply walk up

anytime during dining hours. Holland America Line manages reservations

and guest preferences through a unique computer system ensuring the

same efficient and high quality service for the flexible/open dining

as with the traditional pre-set format.

In addition to fixed and flexible/open dining options in the main

dining room, Holland America Line features the reservations-only

Pinnacle Grill restaurant with Pacific Northwest steak and seafood

specialties and casual Lido dining with waiter service and the option

to select dishes from the main restaurant menu or regular Lido

offerings. For guests who choose an evening "in," 24-hour

complimentary room service includes dishes from the main restaurant

during dining hours and a selection of meals and snacks.

As You Wish dining will be introduced on the Holland America Line

ships with the following sailings:

Date Ship

Operational Now msNoordam

10/11/07 ms Ryndam

11/13/07 ms Volendam

12/18/07 ms Statendam

1/5/08 ms Oosterdam

1/27/08 ms Rotterdam

2/3/08 ms Zaandam

2/24/08 ms Westerdam

3/15/08 ms Zuiderdam

4/6/08 ms Veendam

4/24/08 ms Maasdam

5/16/08 ms Amsterdam

5/23/08 ms Prinsendam

7/5/08 ms Eurodam (upon delivery)

Holland America Line's fleet of 13 ships offers nearly 500 cruises to

more than 320 ports. Two- to 108-day itineraries visit all seven

continents, including Antarctica, South America, Australia/New Zealand

and Asia voyages; a Grand World Voyage; and popular sailings to ports

in the Caribbean, Alaska, Mexico, Canada/New England, Europe and

Panama Canal.

In the 2006 Portrait of Affluent Travelers survey by Yesawich,

Pepperdine, Brown and Russell, Holland America Line topped the list of

cruise lines sought after by affluent leisure travelers. Fleetwide,

the company features Signature of Excellence enhancements, totaling

more than $225 million, that showcase the Culinary Arts Center

presented by Food & Wine magazine -- a state-of-the-art onboard show

kitchen where more than 60 celebrated guest chefs and culinary experts

provide cooking demonstrations and classes -- Explorations Cafe

powered by The New York Times, teens-only activity areas and all new

stateroom amenities highlighted by flat-panel TVs and plush Euro-top

Mariner's Dream Beds. For more information, consult a travel agent.

World's Leading Cruise Lines

The highest-rated premium cruise line in the world, Holland America

Line is a member of the exclusive World's Leading Cruise Lines

alliance, which also includes Carnival Cruise Lines, Princess Cruises,

Cunard Line, Seabourn Cruise Line, Costa Cruises and Windstar Cruises.

Sharing a passion to please each guest and a commitment to quality and

value, these lines appeal to a wide range of lifestyles and budgets.

The World's Leading Cruise Lines offer exciting and enriching cruise

vacations to the world's most desirable destinations.

thanks for the information: I for one think it is the best of both worlds. We happen to be very fond of Freestyle dining where there is no options, but for those who still like traditional dining HAL and Princess is keeping them happy while offering something that is new and becoming more popular all the time.

Nita

The one thing I noticed the announcement does not cover was a promise that all who wish to have Traditional Dining will be accomodated.

Will they be?

Will it be a true choice or when the fixed number of seats for Traditional are filled, are the next people to book denied the choice of Traditional Dining and forced to have "As You Wish", which would not be what they wished.

The one thing I noticed the announcement does not cover was a promise that all who wish to have Traditional Dining will be accomodated.

Will they be?

Will it be a true choice or when the fixed number of seats for Traditional are filled, are the next people to book denied the choice of Traditional Dining and forced to have "As You Wish", which would not be what they wished.

Sadly I do think this will be the case very similiar to Princess. Good example is because we booked so late this upcoming Noordam we will more than likely have the Dine As You Wish, so we shall see. I think those that book early will get what they want but the same goes the other way. There are many that book last minute to take advantage of offers and then have to just take what dining is offered this way with the Dine As You Wish they may be able to eat at a time they prefer. I guess we will just have to wait and see how this unfolds.

My three previous cruises have been with Princess where I had "Anytime Dining" and thoroughly enjoyed it. My upcoming cruise will be the first where I experience traditional dining and I'm looking forward to that too. My guess is that neither Princess nor Holland America will go completely "free style" as they both want to keep their long time, traditional loyalists happy. It will be nice to have a choice but if the experience on HAL is anything like on Princess, you will have to book your cruise very early to get your choice of dining plans.

"casual Lido dining with waiter service and the option

offerings."

On my recent Ryndam trip, I asked a server in the Lido if I could order something from the main restaurant menu. He said I could not, it was buffet only. I didn't see anyone receiving waiter service, except for the servers bringing additional tea and coffee. Hmm.

PS. How do you put a quote from the original post in your email?

My three previous cruises have been with Princess where I had "Anytime Dining" and thoroughly enjoyed it. My upcoming cruise will be the first where I experience traditional dining and I'm looking forward to that too. My guess is that neither Princess nor Holland America will go completely "free style" as they both want to keep their long time, traditional loyalists happy. It will be nice to have a choice but if the experience on HAL is anything like on Princess, you will have to book your cruise very early to get your choice of dining plans.

I have to agree with Solo Cruiser, I am really excited HAL is doing this. Our family prefers "Anytime Dining" On one of our Princess trips we found a table and a wait staff we really enjoyed so we reserved it for 5 days at the same time. We had the freedom to change it if we needed too so it worked well. Other trips we just call and reserve what we want, we have never had to wait for a table.

For us it's nice not to be tied to a time on some trips, other times we may meet a great group and decide we want to eat together every night. It just works for us.

Now I'm ready to book one of those lovely HAL ships!

Dianne

"casual Lido dining with waiter service and the option

offerings."

On my recent Ryndam trip, I asked a server in the Lido if I could order something from the main restaurant menu. He said I could not, it was buffet only. I didn't see anyone receiving waiter service, except for the servers bringing additional tea and coffee. Hmm.

PS. How do you put a quote from the original post in your email?

To put a quote into an e-mail, the only way I know to do it is 'copy and paste'.

Most of what is offered in the Main Dining Room for dinner is served in Lido. Not everything but most.

We have never had dinner in Lido but most people have posted here they selected their appetizers and salad buffet style and a steward served their entree to them. On Ryndam, did you go through the buffet line and pick up every course at once?

... but for those who still like traditional dining HAL and Princess is keeping them happy ...
Not always. We sailed the Diamond Princess in January and spoke with folks who were unable to get fixed seating. They wanted to eat when many others wanted to eat and were left waiting for tables to open. They were not happy. While this arrangement will nicely serve those who get their preferences from the get-go, it will not create universal happiness for everyone.

We have never had dinner in Lido but most people have posted here they selected their appetizers and salad buffet style and a steward served their entree to them.

On our Nor 3/10/07 Voyage, this was the procedure for evening dinning in the Lido

this is very disappointing. We are HAL-only cruisers and truly enjoy having the same table mates and servers each night. If they will not guarantee fixed time dining to all who want it I honestly feel they will be losing many loyal customers.

How do you put a quote from the original post in your email?

Hiker girl' date=' hit the word quote in the message you want to quote and make sure you have the [ symbol at the beginning and the end.']

If you hit preview post you will see it high lighted. If you remove any of the text just remember to leave those quote symbols. You can do multiple quotes by hitting the + symbol in the message box.

Dianne

Why are they implementing it so slowly throughout the fleet? Will the switch-over cause difficulties? Delays? Just wondering because we'll be on the second Volendam cruise with it in November. When I get time, I guess I'll have to go back and read some Oosterdam threads.

Robin

Not always. We sailed the Diamond Princess in January and spoke with folks who were unable to get fixed seating. They wanted to eat when many others wanted to eat and were left waiting for tables to open. They were not happy. While this arrangement will nicely serve those who get their preferences from the get-go, it will not create universal happiness for everyone.

Jim, I do have to say we did like early dining around 6:30 so maybe that is why we had no problem getting a table.

Dianne

Why are they implementing it so slowly throughout the fleet? Will the switch-over cause difficulties? Delays? Just wondering because we'll be on the second Volendam cruise with it in November. When I get time, I guess I'll have to go back and read some Oosterdam threads.

Robin

As I now understand it, AYW was available for only one month on the Oosterdam. It's been available on the Noordam in Alaska, this season. We tried it and it worked fine except that as the cruise progressed the wait for entee increased, regardless of which dining venue one was dining in. There have been reports of this occuring on ships with only traditional seating too so I am not sure the delay had anything to do with AYW dining.

One thing that did become apparent on my cruise was that many traditional diners abandoned traditional seating in favor of trying AYW dining. This makes sense becasue for some, early is too early and main is too late. If more passengers show during the coveted 7-7:30 window than there are seats available, there will be problems.

Based upon a report here, the AYW dining room was turned over to a large group on the 6/17 sailing and non group passengers were diverted to traditional dining. The poster was dissappointed because she had booked the Noordam for flexible dining and did not get it.

Will they be?

Let's turn this around, if someone prefers AYW dining will they get it? As we have read elsewhere, HAL will give AYW dining to large groups and preserve traditional dining for those non group passengers. This is fine unless one happens to really want AYW dining. Then what?

And, what does this mean for those of us with a specific table already reserved (requested) at a specific seating?

Gary

If your cruise is before the conversion date for your ship OR you have Upper you will probably get what you want. Otherwise ... prepare to try out AYWD.

Let's turn this around, if someone prefers AYW dining will they get it? As we have read elsewhere, HAL will give AYW dining to large groups and preserve traditional dining for those non group passengers. This is fine unless one happens to really want AYW dining. Then what?

What there's always been--the Lido, The Pinnacle, or room service. Now that the Lido has tablecloths and waiters in the evening, with a very similar menu (I know--no lobster), it's a very nice atmosphere. We dined there one evening on our Volendam cruise to avoid the theatrical spectacular that was going on in the main DR that evening.

What there's always been--the Lido, The Pinnacle, or room service. Now that the Lido has tablecloths and waiters in the evening, with a very similar menu (I know--no lobster), it's a very nice atmosphere. We dined there one evening on our Volendam cruise to avoid the theatrical spectacular that was going on in the main DR that evening.

I'm with you on this. The Lido is a decent alternative for anyone who does not get what they wish, which includes the specific fixed seating.

I'm with you on this. The Lido is a decent alternative for anyone who does not get what they wish, which includes the specific fixed seating.

Those who prefer fixed seating WANT the same table mates, servers, etc. The Lido is much more in line with what the AYW crowd prefers...

Hiker girl, hit the word quote in the message you want to quote and make sure you have the [ symbol at the beginning and the end.]

If you hit preview post you will see it high lighted. If you remove any of the text just remember to leave those quote symbols. You can do multiple quotes by hitting the + symbol in the message box.

Dianne

Dianne.... Hikergirl is not asking how to quote a post for this board..I believe she wants to use part of the post from the HAL announcement in an e-mail..

Hikergirl..Drag your mouse over the portion you wish to quote, to highlight it..

Then press "CTRL" & the Letter "C" together..You have now copied the portion you want to use...

Now go to your write screen in your e-mail program..

Press "CTRL" & the letter "V" together...You will now have the quote you want to use in the body of your e-mail..You can cut out any part of the quote you do not wish to use, directly in the write screen..

This is called the copy & paste method..Many times an e-mail program does not accept the paste from the edit screen, so this is the best way to do it....

If you are sending an e-mail to HAL, would you be kind enough to tell us what their answer is..:) Betty

P.S. If you are wondering why the shortcut "V" (for paste) instead of a "P", its because "CTRL" "P" is used for print.

Jim: Of course no policy put in place by any group or institution is going to please all the constituents of that group. While there may be a reduction in table space for those who want fixed dining and some of those folks may not get what they request I think there are ways around their unhappiness. If Holland America allows the passenger to make reservations for the same table (hence same wait staff) at the same time every evening, at least some of the passengers' criteria have been met. There were folks on Princess who were unhappy that they couldn't get the traditional seating and this is how they resolved that issue. If what I've been reading about this line is true I'm sure they will work to solve customer issues with grace.

Archived