HAL Formaly introduces "as you wish dining"

FIRELT5

There's an active thread about the $100 deposit (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=591505) ... perhaps HAL can consider confirming specific dining arrangements, either fixed or AYWD, for those making the full regular deposit. And, I suppose, waitlisting the $100 deposit pax for their preferred arrangements. I know ... no system is perfect, but I would guess HAL sees less cancels from the full-deposit pax and, perhaps, should acknowledge that loyalty. Worth considering, perhaps.

We have never had dinner in Lido but most people have posted here they selected their appetizers and salad buffet style and a steward served their entree to them. On Ryndam, did you go through the buffet line and pick up every course at once?

On the Ryndam in July we ate several dinners in the Lido because we didn't want to wait until 8:15. Everything was buffet style; appetizers, salad, vegetables, and entrees. Stewards did not serve entrees. We actually liked the buffet as we were able to pick and choose the entrees and vegetables we wanted. For the most part, the menu items were the same as the dining room, but they didn't have lobster or king crab. (The lobster in the dining room was horrible and we had terrible service. We should have eaten in the Lido that night as well) We were very impressed with the taste of the food and liked eating quickly so we could get back to our whale and glacier watching.

I'm a bit leery of the AYW dining--never did it any other way than traditional. I'll be a late booker on the Noordam, too, so may be put in the AYW dining because the other is booked.

As a single diner on this upcoming cruise, will I get the stink eye in AYW when I'm led to a table of strangers who are most likely dining together? :eek: I would think that's one reason people use the AYW on other lines--they don't want to be seated with people they don't know. :o

Diane

Sail,

I think your question does raise a problem with this "new" dining system. On our recent Princess cruise there were many very unhappy pax who wanted traditional dining but, ended up with "Anytime Dining" instead and they were quite vocal. (Princess actually converted one of there anytime restaurants into a traditonal-time dining situation for that week.)

Another major problem happened on Princess. Many pax found a table they liked the first night and then booked it at a specified time for the entire cruise. (Some just a booked a reserved time for the entire cruise--sounds like traditional dining to me--except pax choose the time.) Now that's great for those who acted quickly, BUT there were MANY unhappy guests who had to wait in line or with beepers, for tables that entire cruise! I understood after the first night or two, you couldn't reserve a specific time--all taken.

If you like to eat very early, there were no problems but after 7:00--major waits. Unfortunately on Princess, the room service menu is quited limited also.

So I'm a traditionalist, but I don't want to wait in line for a table when cruising--they do that at Denny's!!!!! I don't want to hold a beeper, waiting for the magic buzzing---:mad: :mad: :mad: !!! (Main reason I'd NEVER sail NCL!!)

Dianne.... Hikergirl is not asking how to quote a post for this board..I believe she wants to use part of the post from the HAL announcement in an e-mail.

:o Thanks Betty, Guess I was out to lunch!

I'm a bit leery of the AYW dining--never did it any other way than traditional. I'll be a late booker on the Noordam, too, so may be put in the AYW dining because the other is booked.

As a single diner on this upcoming cruise, will I get the stink eye in AYW when I'm led to a table of strangers who are most likely dining together? :eek: I would think that's one reason people use the AYW on other lines--they don't want to be seated with people they don't know. :o

Diane

Stink eye ! I love it. What's this typical NY area term doing in Door Cty? :)

You will be just fine in AYW dining. Those who really prefer to dine alone opt for smaller tables. Another alternative is to see if you can get into fixed seating, once onboard. I think it's easier to accommodate a solo cruiser and there are always vacant seats in the dining room as people opt out for the LIDO, AYW and the PG.

Ahoy!

I agree with many on this board, i.e., the traditional seating times, etc. but I suppose the 'winds of change' are upon us. With that said, how 'goes' the seating arrangements for the early and late shows presented on board ship? Do we come in after dinner, whether early or late, for the shows now? How does, say, the bar lounge seating work out when a lot of folks enjoy using the Ocean Bar or Crow's Nest for pre-dinner drinks and dancing? I would think this sort of thing would be more of a 'pain' for HAL (cooks, servers, you name it) then anyone else IMO. Although I guess if the demand is there, then that's the way it is.

Personnally, I think they could 'dress up' the Lido at night for the AYW crowd but then again I guess I'm just used to fine dining at specific times, at a specific table with a specific table staff that I get to know and enjoy over a cruise.

In any event, everyone enjoy regardless! We will survive!

Bob Voyage and Good Health!

Bob:)

The one thing I noticed the announcement does not cover was a promise that all who wish to have Traditional Dining will be accomodated.

I would imagine everyone will be accommodated because most people will want flexible. Even if you can't be confirmed for traditional prior to your cruise, please will switch over to open seating in droves once onboard and there will always be space in traditional.

That's my take on it anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Sail,

I think your question does raise a problem with this "new" dining system. On our recent Princess cruise there were many very unhappy pax who wanted traditional dining but, ended up with "Anytime Dining" instead and they were quite vocal. (Princess actually converted one of there anytime restaurants into a traditonal-time dining situation for that week.)

The two times I sailed Princess, I ended up at tables for eight in traditional with only two or three people at them. Everyone else had switched over to flexible dining. I also never had a problem getting confirmed for traditional prior to the cruise.

Unfortunately, traditional dining is becoming a thing of the past ... and most "new" cruisers like the flexible. Even more "traditional" cruisers who book fixed seating dining and get confirmed for it in advance of their cruise (leaving other passengers unable to get advanced assignment to traditional) find once they are onboard that flexible would work better for them. They switch over and then lots of traditional dining spots open up.

That's been my limited experience with Princess anyway.

As for people reserving the same table for the same time every night in flexible dining ... I'm sorry, but I don't think that should be permitted. You either want flexible or traditional ... you can't have both. Reserving the same table for the same time every night in effect means that you want traditional dining in the flexible dining room. I personally think you should only be able to make reservations in flexible for that day only. Then tomorrow, you have to call back and make reservations for that day. This way everyone gets a fair shot at the more "popular" tables.

Blue skies ...

--rita

On the Ryndam in July we ate several dinners in the Lido because we didn't want to wait until 8:15. Everything was buffet style; appetizers, salad, vegetables, and entrees. Stewards did not serve entrees.

This is the problem with traditional dining. You either have to eat very early (5:45 or 6:15) or very late (8:15, 8:30 ... whatever). I think this is precisely why flexible dining is becoming so popular. Also, the fact is that people don't necessarily like eating at the same time night after night. Different days call for different arrangements. Maybe on a spate of sea days, you'd like to eat at about 6:30 and then enjoy an evening on the ship. But on port days, when you've been running around all day, you'd like to get back to the ship and relax a bit before going to dinner. You're not planning much of an active evening around the ship anyway ... you're too tired ... so you'd like to have dinner a bit later, maybe enjoy a nightcap in one of the bars, and then go to bed.

But the way it has been in the past, to get flexible dining, you have to go to the Lido. Hey, I have nothing against the Lido ... the food is excellent there ... but when I am on vacation, I like to be served. I can go through a buffet line at home ... and frequently do ... so when I'm on vacation, I prefer things kicked up a notch and to have a waitstaff taking care of my every need. Flexible dining allows for this, and it's why I think the concept is becoming so popular.

For myself, I have always been a traditionalist ... especially since I frequently travel solo and fear having to eat alone many nights if I opt for flexible. Yet, I am trying to keep an open mind about this since I did enjoy the flexible dining very much on the QE2 this past April.

So, while I'll probably continue to opt for traditional dining when sailing on my own, I guess I'll have to at some point see how the flexible dining works out if I am ever forced to go that way.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I would imagine everyone will be accommodated because most people will want flexible. Even if you can't be confirmed for traditional prior to your cruise, please will switch over to open seating in droves once onboard and there will always be space in traditional.

Rita,

What makes you think that most people will want flexible? My guess would be precisely the other way around. Most people, on most cruises, will be Mariners ... Mariners who are used to the fixed traditional dining times and tables and will want to have that. People like me. At least, that's my opinion.

This is the problem with traditional dining. You either have to eat very early (5:45 or 6:15) or very late (8:15, 8:30 ... whatever). I think this is precisely why flexible dining is becoming so popular. Also, the fact is that people don't necessarily like eating at the same time night after night. Different days call for different arrangements. Maybe on a spate of sea days, you'd like to eat at about 6:30 and then enjoy an evening on the ship. But on port days, when you've been running around all day, you'd like to get back to the ship and relax a bit before going to dinner. You're not planning much of an active evening around the ship anyway ... you're too tired ... so you'd like to have dinner a bit later, maybe enjoy a nightcap in one of the bars, and then go to bed.

Well, I can certainly understand and agree with your observation and opinions. It's partly why there ARE other options on HAL (and have been for a while). Sadly, however, if EVERYBODY wants to eat at 7:00 pm the wait for Flexible dining will be LONG.

It's beeper time!

That's my take on it anyway.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We just booked a cruise for this November on Princess. We were placed at #161 on the waiting list for the late Traditional seating. We inquired about early Traditional and were told it had a waiting list also. Our TA feels we will clear the waiting list after final payment is due in early September.

This example does not support the idea that most people want flexible. As I have only sailed Princess once previously and was assigned Personal Choice Dining because Traditional was closed then too, maybe the circumstances are strictly a coincidence.

The only downside I see to offering both is in the circumstance Sail describes... wanting an unavailable Traditional seating.

More incentive to book early and often, right? Maybe making the $100 onboard future cruise bookings are the way to go!

Regards

B

Ahoy RevNeal!

I couldn't agree more. Perhaps HeatherInFlorida will frame a new 'poll' for the CC board that would be framed as follows (with bar graphs):

1. I prefer traditional dining.

2. I prefer flexable dining.

3. I prefer a nightly 4 Hour Barbeque by the Lido pool.

4. I don't know / don't care (what's a Mariner?).

(Tongue in cheek)

May you be blessed with many more cruises.

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

By the way, there is a Traditional vs. Flexible poll ongoing on the Royal Caribbean board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=591474

With 329 responses, Traditional is in the lead with 71+% of the vote.

B

I like what HAL is doing. There is a thread on the Royal Caribbean board that states Royal is trying this on the Freedom of the Seas as a test later this year. Will be interesting to see how it works. I liked it on Princess and I also like Freestyle on NCL. Yes, times are changing.

I think HAL is trying to accommodate all of their passengers' needs by providing the AYW dining, but I will always select traditional dining as my first choice. I enjoy getting to know our server and have them getting to know us too. We like sitting at the same table and know that there is a table ready for us. With the AYW dining, you may have to wait for a table if everyone happens to dine at the same time.

On Saturday, 7/14, I booked an April 5th 2008 10 day cruise on the Ryndam with a confirmed 6:15 (lower dining room) early seating. Today I opened up an e-mail document from HAL showing my reservation information with the dining section blank.

When I called to enquire about this I was told about the new "any time dining" and that the lower dining room was to be used solely for this purpose. I was also informed that the "early traditional dining time (now 5:45 and in the upper dining room) was completely booked by a large group. Thus we were denied both our confirmed traditional dining time and place. We were left with a choice of the late traditional or the "any time dining".

And this is all for a cruise almost 9 months away. I wonder how the "large group" got wind of the change that just was announced and scoffed up all the early traditional seating! Not even having a deluxe suite (booked to celebrate a very special birthday) could get us on a wait list.

Ahoy!

I can 'wait' for a table anytime here at home. One of the 'highlights' of cruising for me and my wife is the fixed seating schedule (we prefer late seating). When 'pooped out' from a port excursion we don't hesitate to use room service, the Lido or a scheduled outdoor venue. However, much more often then not, we look forward to pre-dinner cocktails and dancing, a table (for two) at sunset, and either the show or after-dinner drinks in the Crow's Nest/ Ocean Bar/ Piano Bar even on port days. 'Waiting in line' or sitting in a lounge with a 'beeper' doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Perhaps I'm getting into this 'frey' with a bit of emotion. Fixed dining has always been one of the features that we look forward to when cruising.

Enough said. I do believe this will be an active thread. I hope HAL is monitoring it's contents.

Happy cruising to one and all!

Bon Voyage and Good Health!

If I go on a cruise, I want dining to be an "occasion." Anytime Dining (I laugh whenever I hear those words) is basically like going to a restaurant in your home town. BORING. At least when I call to make reservations at a restaurant at home, someone either takes my reservation or informs me the restaurant is booked. I can then call another restaurant.

On Princess, we had (snicker) Anytime Dining. The language in HAL'S press release:

Prior to their cruise, during the booking phase, guests will choose

flexible/open dining or Holland America Line's traditional pre-set

dining time (early or main). Guests with flexible seating may make

reservations daily during a cruise up to 4 p.m. or simply walk up

anytime during dining hours. Holland America Line manages reservations

and guest preferences through a unique computer system ensuring the

same efficient and high quality service for the flexible/open dining

as with the traditional pre-set format.

is almost the same as the Princess brochure. Despite doing everything possible to make reservations in any of the 4 alternate DR's immediately upon boarding, we were told we could not dine EXCEPT before 5:30 or after 8:30. EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. So, how is HAL, with no experience, going to avoid this situation with only one "Anytime Dining Room?" I certainly wouldn't want to be one of the passengers who are among the front line to experience Anytime. Good luck to you all. We will be waiting with bated breath to hear your experiences.

I have my own "alternative" plan---when I travel alone I will either be confirmed traditional, main sitting or I won't book.

It's a deal-breaker for me.

When I'm cruising with lots of friends I've made on Cruise Critic (like the famous Voyage of the Spammed ;) ) I can be more flexible, but otherwise I will not be in a postion where I don't have set dinner plans.

So, how is HAL, with no experience, going to avoid this situation with only one "Anytime Dining Room?" I certainly wouldn't want to be one of the passengers who are among the front line to experience Anytime. Good luck to you all. We will be waiting with bated breath to hear your experiences.

Unfortunately looks like I'll be one of those "lucky" ones that get to be on the first sailing when the Rotterdam starts this new "experience" next Jan/Feb. I'm waitlisted for traditional late seating but have been told I should clear it with no problems (I'm within the top 20 on the list) so feeling more confident that I'll get what "I want" than I was a few weeks ago and was thinking about canceling the cruise so I didn't get stuck with the AYW option as a solo cruiser. However, I'm still concerned there could be impacts to the service etc in the Traditional Seating while they deal with the expected kinks in their first experience with this.

I have my own "alternative" plan---when I travel alone I will either be confirmed traditional, main sitting or I won't book.

For single travellers I guess it makes sense to stick with traditional.

Personally, my real problem with HAL's variation on "Whatever" Dining is that you have to reserve each and every day and there's no guarantee that if you arrive at a busy time that you won't be waiting. Whether they use beepers or not the reality is that dining is not all that freestyle is you have to plan it constantly day after day and fight for a spot. That is something you don't worry about with traditional dining.

Still I'm willing to see where this goes. I could make a bold statement like "I'll never book HAL again and stick with some other line that sticks with traditional" but I can't say I completely am a traitionalist nor can I ignore the huge lot of people who want anything but traditional and the cruise lines are moving more and more in that direction. I just don't happen to like this fight for a table every day concept.

Admittedly I'm doing the QE2 for the first time this year and doing the Caronia Restaurant. Its single seating with the restaurant open at set hours but you show up whenever you wish and the table is yours for the entire cruise for all three meals. To me that is a much better plan than musical reserved tables.

David

When I'm cruising with lots of friends I've made on Cruise Critic (like the famous Voyage of the Spammed ;) ) I can be more flexible, but otherwise I will not be in a postion where I don't have set dinner plans.

I think I agree with you, Ruthless. As an often-solo-cruiser it has the potential of being a SERIOUS deal-breaker for me. When I'm cruising with Christopher or with fellow cc-er friends it's less of an issue because I'll always have people with which to eat. I eat alone all time time on land, I don't relish doing so aboard ship (or eating with different people every night ... can you imagine a 21 day cruise with 21 different sets of people at dinner? The stress of not knowing with whom/when/where I'll be eating each night would make the cruise less than a joy for me.

Archived