If anyone has questions about the Falklands...

Gixer

Nature Trek

If you have major hip problems or have problems moving at a reasonable speed then this is probably not for you. Saying that you take about 2.5hours to travel 3 miles which isn't too great and except for a few streams to cross and banks to go up and down the level is not too bad. Though the walks start of as a slow ramble sometimes the speed increases if no sightings are seen.

Bluff cove.

Look at their website http://falklandpenguins.com/ this has a nature list of the possible sightings, though don't expect all of them.

Book.

try this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Mammals-Falkland-Islands-Robin/dp/1903657105/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258370964&sr=8-2 this is the book I have on my bookshelf.

Poppy11,

For your husband the nature trek will be wonderful,plenty of wildlife normally, I did that walk just the other day and saw, Flightless steamer ducks, oyster catchers, magalenic penguins, black throated finch, long tail meadow lark, redf back hawk plus much more.

Bluff cove will be great for you you are transported all the way to the gentoos/kings , there is a short walk from the gentoo coloney to the beach/cafe but if you ask any of the wardens when you arrive they will be happy to give you a lift down.

Thank you Jason,

Happy to hear this, Will pass news onto hubby, (at present birdwatching in Thailand)

Nature Trek

If you have major hip problems or have problems moving at a reasonable speed then this is probably not for you. Saying that you take about 2.5hours to travel 3 miles which isn't too great and except for a few streams to cross and banks to go up and down the level is not too bad. Though the walks start of as a slow ramble sometimes the speed increases if no sightings are seen.

Bluff cove.

Look at their website http://falklandpenguins.com/ this has a nature list of the possible sightings, though don't expect all of them.

Book.

try this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Birds-Mammals-Falkland-Islands-Robin/dp/1903657105/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258370964&sr=8-2 this is the book I have on my bookshelf.

Jason,

Thanks so much for your help. This was exactly the information I needed. We're looking forward to seeing the Falklands!

• 4 weeks later...

Jason,

I have already emailed every tour operator on that entire website without any luck. 4x4 vehicle rentals are unavailable as well. Is there a local that would be interested in a little extra cash and a special hard to find gift from the U.S.? Are there any tour operators that don't work for the Cruise Lines? Please help! My wife has her heart set on seeing a bunch of King Penguins

Best Regards,

Rick

Because of the population of the falkalnd islands when there is a big ship in the majority of the drivers are taken up by either the cruise ships via their agents or by local guides such as patrick wats. I will ask around at the jetty today for you and see if there is anyone else around who might be willing to help, but I don't hold up much hope I'm afraid.

I'll also check what other excursions are seeing kings at the moment, I know bluff cove has 8 but I'll speak with the other operators to see who else has got some.

I'm afraid that both thoose tours are booked exclusively via the ships. However having worked with them I know that people often pull out at the last minute and if you talk with the shore excursion reps on board they should be able to help.

Just been speaking with the owner of Bluff cove and she says that it's common for the ships (not just the star princess) not to release all the availiable spaces for her tours on-line but wait until you are on the ship before they release other spaces.

Just been speaking with the owner of Bluff cove and she says that it's common for the ships (not just the star princess) not to release all the availiable spaces for her tours on-line but wait until you are on the ship before they release other spaces.

True. NCL sells only 33% of excursion spots online up to 2 weeks before cruise. If you didn't get an excursion online, then you'll have to join the queue as soon as you board the ship.

Thankfully, when I booked the NCL Sun Dec 20 cruise back in Feb, I immediately booked 3 spots on the Bluff Lagoon excursion, and haven't looked back since. It was after I booked that I learnt that Princess Star will be in port on same day as our ship (Dec 29th), so I keep on thanking myself for booking our spots so early on.

Now, we're hoping that we reach Falklands safely and are able to visit the islands and the sweet penguins!

• 2 weeks later...

NCL has revamped website and the excursions for Stanley appear to be changed to include even Volunteer Point. Descriptions of each tour in Stanley have added details, also. Hope everyone on the NCL itineraries are able to make this port and enjoy the Sun's final passages thru these waters. Happy New Year.:)

I'm afraid that both thoose tours are booked exclusively via the ships. However having worked with them I know that people often pull out at the last minute and if you talk with the shore excursion reps on board they should be able to help.

We had the same problem 4 years ago when all tours were booked by Celebrity. We did go to Gypsy Cove and the lone King Penguin put on quite a show for us!

We will be back in Stanley on Jan 6 on the Minerva enroute to South Georgia Island and Antarctica.

Happy New Year Jason or is it Boxing Day or something else? Happy that Caveman Joe found a guide. NCL has apparently added Volunteer Point to its offerings too. Did someone receive a freighter with some extra 4 x 4's?

Looking forward to :) Bluff Cove Tour in April, hope we are able to share the tour with you.

les

due to the info that was developed though this thread we learned of patrick watts. by booking with him over a year in advance we avoided cavemanjoe's problem. we will be in the falklands aboard the star princess feb 16, 2011. will be a major disappointment if rough seas prevent our visit to the falkland islands. i have been reading about the 1982 war. i now understand how it came about and have learned more about the scale of the conflick then was reported in our media. if your travels every bring you to the new york, philly, washington dc area feel free to contact me for advice. ray

pennstateray@hotmail.com