If anyone has questions about the Falklands...

Gixer

Gixer, we are on the Feb. 19 Star Princess, and your information on the various penguin sites in the Falklands is just what we need. Thank you so much!

Ellie

I just booked a few days ago. Barely started to look into the details of Buenos Aires stays, airport transfers, and of course, the excursions.

I am confused by all these different Penguins. ;-)

So if only going to Gipsy Cove, using the minibuses at the dock is sufficient.

However, anything else, such as the Bluff Cove, one must arrange for a tour (or using the ship's excursion which is what I would try to avoid.)

They are 2 different species. Here is a website that will clear up your penguin confusion!

http://www.coolantarctica.com/Antarctica%20fact%20file/wildlife/antarctic_penguins.htm

Here is a good one about the Falklands:

http://www.visitorfalklands.com/

I am confused by all these different Penguins. ;-)

So if only going to Gipsy Cove, using the minibuses at the dock is sufficient.

However, anything else, such as the Bluff Cove, one must arrange for a tour (or using the ship's excursion which is what I would try to avoid.)

We dont get Emperor's here, there have been the odd one or two that have strayed to our Islands but this is very rare. You will need to pre arrange any tours either with local guides or one of the ships excursions if you want to explore beyond Town/Gypsy Cove, the local mini buses to the cove are probably the best way to see the penguins. Something else you may be interested in - you can hire a 4x4 for the day from Stanley services then explore on your own, you could get down to the lighthouse on Cape Pembroke or go out to Goose Green settlement if you hired a vehicle, you just need to be careful if you go off track so that you dont get bogged, and you will need to contact local farmers in certain areas to ask permission to drive across their land.

We visited the Falklands on our Quark expedition in January 2007. In addition to stopping at Stanley, we visited New and Carcass Islands in West Falklands. Pictures are available at (Stanley & Gypsy Cove Photos start with #96 on page 7 of the album).

Enjoy!

Gixer - if you check out the photos and find anything mis-labeled, do let me know. Thanks.

Dear Gixer-

Thank you so much for all the information on the Falklands! I only hope that our ship is able to tender there (March 3 Cruise Rio to Santiago on the Rotterdam). We plan to see penguins, and will take your advice since we want photos and "more nature".

When we were in St. Martin, we took the tour to Lotterie Farms. If you like "nature" this is the only natural area remaining on the entire island! There is a 2 mile hike (1 mile up, 1 mile down) with incredible views of the surrounding islands. I understand that they also set up some zip lines for additional fun, but we were there on a day when they were closed (they opened up for the HAL tour only, so it was fabulous).

They have a web site (sorry I don't have it). We enjoyed the hike and the information we learned about the history of sugar cane plantations in St Martin.

We didn't do any shopping!

Thanks again!

Beth & Kevin

Sometimes tours do go by boat, but they can only get part of the way (due to lack of docking areas) and usually have to transfer to 4x4 for the last part of the journey, the seas are VERY unpredictable so unless calm conditions are guaranteed then it is safer to go overland. (sometimes the seas are so bad that cruise ships have to pass on stopping in the Falklands altogether, I think last summer about 4 ships never managed to get passangers ashore) Going by boat doesnt really make much of a difference time wise. If your going to visit Volounteer then you will have very limited time in Stanley, maybe just enough to quickly look around a few of the gift shops by the Jetty and grab some souveniers.

H2so4 - great photos! I can see the wreck of the Juhelm now as I look out of my living room window :D

How far out of town is the signpost with mileage to different cities around the world? I think I read somewhere its on the airport road. Would we need a taxi? Cost?

We will hopefully be able to get ashore there in March. Where do we go for tea and cake with you?:D Will you have a "welcome cruisecritic members" sign outside your home?:D

How far out of town is the signpost with mileage to different cities around the world? I think I read somewhere its on the airport road. Would we need a taxi? Cost?

We will hopefully be able to get ashore there in March. Where do we go for tea and cake with you?:D Will you have a "welcome cruisecritic members" sign outside your home?:D

LOL! when you get to the shipwreck just look for the house with a couple of horses in the Garden that will be me :D

The sign is down the airport road, its about 1 1/2 miles from town, if you go straight up the steep hill from the jetty centre it will bring you out onto airport road, go left and just keep walking, once you get past the service station and the Garden centre its just at the top of the rise right on the side of the road. It is walkable but for $5 you could go there in a taxi, and go to boot hill aswell, Boot hill is a place where years ago someone found a boot on the side of the road and proped it up on a stick incase the owner came passed and could see it, but over the years more and more boots have been added, sometimes a whole family will go and put their old boots up there its very ''quirky'' :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Gixer,

If you want to shop then definitely St. Thomas---but if you want to snorkel you won't want to miss Trunk Bay on St. John. The water is turquoise and incredibly clear and calm and they have an underwater snorkeling trail. It's a very special experience.

Thank you for all of your tips on the Falklands. We won't be there until January 2009 on Crystal Symphony, so hopefully you will be home, and, if time permits, we'd love to meet you.

Have a wonderful Disney cruise with your children!

Ricki

Hello - sorry I havent been to the boards for a while, the kids have been on school break :o

There is a grocery store just a hundred yards from the Jetty centre called the West store, its out local supermarket, its next to the Cathedral. You can purchase pretty much anything you need there, toiletires and pharmacy items, snacks, alcohol, camera film, batteries etc :)

Thanks for all the good advice on St Martin & St Thomas! We were thinking of hiring a charter boat at St Thomas for a half day trip and then doing some shopping, at St Martin I think we are going to do an Island tour and do some more shopping, I plan on being in shopping heaven for most of our trip! :D

If we are here in Jan 09 it would be lovely to see you, we are thinking of possibly a month tour of Australia in Jan 09 as thats when the kids have their long summer break - but Im still working on hubby with that one;)

Hello Gixer,

I've just read all the questions/answers and you have made me very happy! (More important: my wife as well). Top of the list for our cruise was king penguins at Volunteer point, so that trip is already booked. Now having read your comments its clear we did the right thing. I just hope that when we arrive in the Falklands it's not too windy to stop. (Keep reading that quite a few cruises have to miss because of too strong winds).

We are sailing on Infinity, and will be in Stanley harbour 31st December. We can almost wish you a happy new year. I like the idea of the hop on and off London bus, although I'm not sure how much time we will have after the long trip to Volunteer point. I really hope we have enough time to at least have a short walk around Stanley.

Very much looking forward to the visit. It has been an ambition for quite a while to be in the Falklands, but the flight (length and cost) is a bit of a tough one. Still a one day visit is better than no visit at all.

Maybe see you!

Corina and John

You've given us such good advice and suggestions, it really will make a difference in our visit to the Falklands. January, 2009 seems so far away, but time passes so quickly that it will be here before we know it. I'll look for you on the board as the time approaches!

Happy traveling!

Ricki

Sparrow Cove is a great trip, its about 20mins by launch boat from Stanley, you usually stop at Kidney cove then go by 4 x 4 to Sparrow cove. You will see a few king penguins, Jackasses, Gentoo's but the highlight of this trip is that you will get to see Rockhopper penguins. They are not usually found on the large main Islands of the Falklands, you usually need to travel out to one of the small offshore Islands such as sealion. As the trip is under 3 hours you will also have plenty of time to expolre around town.

Gixer, Which place do you recommend for pingoin for someone with some difficulties for walking over uneven terrain ?

Thanks,:)

Gixer, thank you for the info on Volunteer Point. We will not be there until Mar 09 but penguin viewing is my top priority!!!!I am making my notes & will be contacting the tour companies in a few months.

About St. Martin... We have done the shopping (great), the island tour, car rental, Trunk bay. Our all time favorite was the Lord Sheffield. It is a tall masted ship. There is food, drinks, music. Once you are out of the harbor, the sails are raised. You sail to a snorkel area where you can swim, snorkel or walk the plank.

Thank you, Gixer!! Wherever I travel, I enjoy going to a local grocery and purchasing some local items!

Wish that you would be home in Jan 08! But I hope that you have a wonderful time on your own adventure!

We were in this store in March and it is quite an experience. Make sure you read some of the labels, especially the cigarettes, not like the USA, and the cost was $98 a carton! It was an interesting store, the prices very high and the only fresh meat we saw was mutton. Definitely something to see!!:)

Gixer, Which place do you recommend for pingoin for someone with some difficulties for walking over uneven terrain ?

Thanks,:)

This is quite a tough one to answer, the ground at Bluff/Sparrow cove is very boggy and rough, there are no roads and its all off track, there are no paths either, its not a long walk from where the 4x4 stops to the breeding grounds but it is very uneven and full of penguin burrows that you need to navigate around.

The only place I guess that would be suitable for someone with walking difficulties would be Gypsy cove as there is a purpose built path, it is not paved but has little stones all along it, but it isnt steep, its pretty flat and its only about 100 yard walk along it until you see the penguins :)

• 3 weeks later...

Gixer

Thank you for taking the time to post all this information.

One question remains in my mind, though. We are on Star Princess

January 13 in Stanley (weather gods permitting). We are led to believe

that all of the local tour operators have been booked by Princess for

their shore excursions, so we will most likely be booking one of these.

It is a choice between Sparrow Cove and Bluff Cove. After searching

extensively, I have yet to locate Sparrow Cove on any maps. The itinerary

calls for a 20 minute boat ride, then by 4x4 to the cove. Would you be so

kind as to give me an idea of where Sparrow Cove is?

Gixer

Thank you for taking the time to post all this information.

One question remains in my mind, though. We are on Star Princess

January 13 in Stanley (weather gods permitting). We are led to believe

that all of the local tour operators have been booked by Princess for

their shore excursions, so we will most likely be booking one of these.

It is a choice between Sparrow Cove and Bluff Cove. After searching

extensively, I have yet to locate Sparrow Cove on any maps. The itinerary

calls for a 20 minute boat ride, then by 4x4 to the cove. Would you be so

kind as to give me an idea of where Sparrow Cove is?

Sure!

Bluff Cove is quite easy to find as its a settlement, sparrow Cove is just a cove, its actually part of the Murrell farm estate, but you would probably need an OS map to see it, I will try my best to describe where it is!

If your in Stanley its to the north across Port William (which is where your ship will probably dock) So when you arrive at Port William and can see Stanley then look behind you and to the east a bit and thats where Sparrow cove is! If you can find a map that has the mountains on it then Sparrow cove is the bay directly below Mount Low, if your at Sparrow cove and head east then you will arrive at mengeary point, and just above that is Kidney island.

Sorry for the rubbish description! you will actually sail past the entrance to sparrow cove as you sail into dock at Port william.

Dear Gixer,

Thank you very much for your help! I became concern when you mentioned that some ships weren't able to dock during the summer. My friend and I are thinking of taking NCL in December 2008 and the Falklands is a stop (one of the reason why we're going). Is December going to be okay or should we go during a different month?

Sincerely,

Hanh

...the seas are VERY unpredictable so unless calm conditions are guaranteed then it is safer to go overland. (sometimes the seas are so bad that cruise ships have to pass on stopping in the Falklands altogether, I think last summer about 4 ships never managed to get passangers ashore)...