Galveston port

Can anyone describe the galveston port area?

Is there a convenience store within walking distance to buy

bottled water and cans of soda to bring onboard?

I'm thinking of taking a limo from the houston airport to galveston -

and wondering if I need to buy bottled water before I arrive at the ship.

thanks in advance.

As far as I can remember, there is not one within walking distance to the ship. Maybe 1/2 mile away, but not a distance I would want to carry drinks. Surely the limo driver would stop along the way to pick up drinks...

tex :D

Across the street from the port is the "strand". It's several streets of quaint stores and restaurants. You should be able to get water and snacks there. Why don't you google "the strand" and see if you can get a list of stores. We were there in December and got to the port very early with the intention of walking around the Strand. But it was so cold and windy and rainy that we just went directly to the dock. If you are talking about a case of soda, you might want to find a grocery store.

Strand might be a little expensive for "grocery" type items. There are several convenient/grocery stores on Seawall Blvd. You could get the Limo driver to stop at one of these it's directly across from the ocean so you'll get a nice view too. You'll probably see Rainforest Cafe also, if that's your kinda thing.:)

If you are cruising and the limo/van is full of cruise ship passengers you will exit Harborside Drive from I-45. The only business along the 4.5 mile stretch of road are stop-n-rob gas stations and stores. The Seawall is on the other side of the island.

Here's what I'd do. Walk over to the Strand to the Mo' Betta' Market' and bargain for a case of water.

The other option would be to stop along the freeway before you get to Galveston. A new HEB grocery store is at the Calder/Victory Lakes exit and is very nice. Virtually all the exits along this side of the city of Houston have a Walgreens/ CVS/ something to stop and get a case of water.

As you enter Galveston from I 45, there are several convenience stores. There is a CVS pharmacy on your right side and a Racetrak on your left. They are not across from each other but are both within 5 minutes of the port. Unless you are in a shared van, your driver should have no problem with stopping at either of those.

store ... to buy bottled water and cans of soda to bring onboard?
Target at 6128 Broadway (pretty much where IH45 ends and becomes a street, cross street 61st). CVS at Broadway and 24th or so.

They may not allow you to take pop and bottled water on board, you better check with RCL. Do you realize how heavy that is going to be? I don't know what a limo is going to cost you but you may be better off taking ground transportation thru RCL unless you have a large family. And lastly, of course you can buy water and soft drinks on board and the tap water that the ship produces is just fine, and imo is safer than bottled. I agree that if you need to stop, Target is your best bet. Just get off at the exit 1 past Harborside and go under the highway and head back North, on the service road, and its right there. The sea wall is about 3 or 4 miles further, up 61st, although there is a Walmart there.

• 5 years later...

In Galveston Cvs pharmacy at broadway and 25th

And even has some wine!

If you have car

Krogers on Seawall with a good wine selection.

Also If not weekend Sunday Specs liquor on 61st.

Sunday after 12:00 for wine and beer only.

Archived