Hertz car rental in Galveton

Hi folks -

just wondering if anyone knows the proximity of the Hertz car rental office

to the docks in Galveston.

We're sailing Rhapsody out of pier 27 and wondering about the drop off logistics. Is the car rental facility nearby.

I'm thinking maybe my husband will drop me off with my luggage and kids at the pier and them retrun the car ....

thanks in advance.

kathy

I would call the Hertz office in Galveston and speak with them directly as to the means and modes of renting with them. We used to use Enterprise, but they recently announced that the Enterprise office will be closed on Sundays. You could rent from IAH/HOU to Galveston, as you drop off the keys in a drop box and take a taxi back to the ship. However, when returning from your cruise you would not be able to get a car from Enterprise on that Sunday.

Last January, I know that Hertz had an office/window inside the Carnival terminal, and I will be checking with Hertz for our next Galveston cruise next March.

Hypo

thanks for your reply -

Hertz office at galveston pier is closed today and tomorrow (I guess ships don't come in on those days.)

we actually have a car booked AFTER the cruise = and when I spoke to someone back when I booked it - they said I could walk / take a shuttle -it's not too far). but now we're planning on dropping off a rental their before our cruise also - thought I could get some info here before their office opens on thursday AM.

yeah - I've heard other people complian about enterpriseing closing at the galveston dock. hertz seemed pretty resonable - I know it's always more expensive to drop off a rental car in a different place than you pick it up.

We're flying into houston (from NJ) early the mornign of our cruise - and the car rental seems cheaper than a limo or the cruise shuttle service (we're 4 people).

After our cruise - we're heading up to san antonio to spend a week with family.luckily we got decent airfare flying into houston and san antonio.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise. FWIW, we always go at least a day before. That allows us some buffer time in case a flight is delayed or canceled; or an auto accident. That is why we do a car rental for Galveston, since we like having a car to get around the island, go to dinner, etc.

Hypo

The Hertz Local Edition office in Galveston is much to far to walk. It is about a 15 minute drive. I rented a car for the day before the cruise but ended up just using it to drive to the hotel because I saw no reason to keep the car. We stayed at the Harbor house so we were within walking distance to the ship and restaurants. We went to the Hertz office to drop off the car and then one of the representatives there drove us back. If you have you husband drop you off at the ship and then go back to return the car don't be surprised if it takes him 45 minutes to an hour to do that. There may not be anyone available right away to drive him to the ship. We had to wait about 10 mins or so because there were other people returning and renting cars at that time.

Archived