Just spoke to Carnival - Learned something about E docs

flitter306

The guy I spoke to told me that so long as I don't do E docs at all, I'll still get my documents in the mail - including the luggage tags. All I'll need to do is the Fun Pass online, and make sure I don't click the "My Documents" link.
I clicked on "My Documents" as soon as the link appeared and printed out our e-Docs (about a month or so prior to our cruise last month). We still got paper docs in the mail, but they didn't arrive until three days before the cruise. By then I figured we weren't getting them (although it said "docs will be mailed" on the Carnival site).

I was thinking along the same lines. If you see one color on the screen and your printer is printing them as a very different color, then you would know they are the wrong color, its not like you wouldnt know ahead of time because you can see them on your monitor.

The good news is:

If you simply have your monitor calibrated, or allow the adobe to control the output of the printer, it should come out correct. I happen to print my own photos so it is alreay cal'ed. The problem is most are not. That is why the color seems unimportant.

RUF

Since I only booked our cruise 7 days before we are leaving I had no choice but to use the E-Docs. My luggage tags have the correct color (I think?) but there is no room number or deck on them.

Should I be concerned about this? Is there something other than go full carry on that I should do?

I used them for our cruise earlier this month. They are clearly written with the room number and the deck. We got our luggage before the muster drill - as much as the new tags don't have color, they were good at getting my luggage to me quickly.

Since I only booked our cruise 7 days before we are leaving I had no choice but to use the E-Docs. My luggage tags have the correct color (I think?) but there is no room number or deck on them.

Should I be concerned about this? Is there something other than go full carry on that I should do?

If you know your room and deck write it on the tags. If you don't know (booked gty), the porters will have a manifest with your cabin, just write it on then.

ETA: The porters also have the proper tags so you can get them from them.

I'm having trouble understanding how to attach paper lugguage tags. Can someone help me. And mine don't say Lido they say Starboard Aft. I thought aft was on the end?

Actually aft is a direction, stern is the end. ;)

It doesn't sound like the tags are labeled correctly. The usual ones would say Lido aft.

What about when you have a GTY oceanview? I have only had specific rooms in the past, so this time I have no idea what room I will be in. when will they let me know? Do I really have to wait until the day of th cruise to get this? Will the know 30 days out? Not that it matters, I know we are sailing on there somewhere. I have a surprise cruise on Oct 11, 2007, so that is why I am asking.

What about when you have a GTY oceanview? I have only had specific rooms in the past, so this time I have no idea what room I will be in. when will they let me know? Do I really have to wait until the day of th cruise to get this? Will the know 30 days out? Not that it matters, I know we are sailing on there somewhere. I have a surprise cruise on Oct 11, 2007, so that is why I am asking.

Keep checking your e-docs, but yes you may not find out until you get to the pier.

I am cruising on 8/5 and did not receive travel documents yet. Called TA and supposingly I must have click on my documents while filling out Carnival fun passes. Be very careful, now Carnival is not mailing me out any documents.

So I printed on line, easy, but also my luggage tags (light blue) states Deck 4 Port AFT. Anyone know what Port AFT is referring to? Should have room on Main deck, towards the back of the ship. Also anyone know how the quad cabins are on this deck? Thanks!

So I printed on line, easy, but also my luggage tags (light blue) states Deck 4 Port AFT. Anyone know what Port AFT is referring to? Should have room on Main deck, towards the back of the ship. Also anyone know how the quad cabins are on this deck? Thanks!

Deck 4, Main on spirit class, left side (facing the front) of the ship in the back half.

Don't worry, Just use the grey tags that you printed online. They have all the information you need to get your bags to your room. Then go to the information desk before disembarkation and get the correct color tags and place them on your bags before you have your luggage collected. very simple

Thank god somebody on these boards has a little bit of sense.

I cannot believe the freaking drama over these new luggage tags.

People complaining about having to fold a piece of paper TWICE.

People worrying about LAMINATING a tri-folded paper tag.

People being put out by having to walk all the way down to the Purser's desk on the last sea day, to pick up a few debarkation tags.

Bill

Perhaps I should clarify. The luggage tags you print online are only for embarkation. In theory, your bags should get to your room without any problem - regardless of the color. But from what I understand, once onboard you'll need to get different luggage tags for debarkation (assuming you don't use self assist). Otherwise your luggage will get lumped into a miscellaneous pile of luggage. I don't want to have to wait at the Purser's (or wherever you get the tags) with everyone else who needs tags.

Thanks for the clarification. We always have VIP Debark. So this is one less thing we have to worry about!! yeah

Can you print out as many luggage tags as you want? Just wondering because I may do the e-docs but others in my group will do traditional (since it is there first cruise I want them to able to do the doc dance!)

If I find that my luggage tags aren't the same color as theirs I was wondering if I could print them out again and use colored paper or cardstock.

Thats funny that you said that about having a choice..becasue I was advised by a private T/A that although it shows the choice online, you really dont have the choice, and will not receive docs in the mail anymore...but then I also hear that they will infact be giving people a choice? im confused!!! HAHA

Some travel agencies have decided to work with e-docs only and notified Carnival of that decision. If you are booked with a TA who has made that decision, you will not be able to get paper documents. Sooooooo, if paper documents are that important to you, check with your agency before you book.

It will only be a matter of time before e-docs will be all that is available, as all the cruiselines move to streamline their procedures. Also, think of the revenue they will save by not printing out all of those pages for each cabin on each ship.

Thank god somebody on these boards has a little bit of sense.

I cannot believe the freaking drama over these new luggage tags.

People complaining about having to fold a piece of paper TWICE.

People worrying about LAMINATING a tri-folded paper tag.

People being put out by having to walk all the way down to the Purser's desk on the last sea day, to pick up a few debarkation tags.

Bill

I really didn't pick up on complaints, just people being confused about it and giving suggestions. Relax Bill! We are talking cruise here, remember, it is all for FUN IN THE SUN!

Some travel agencies have decided to work with e-docs only and notified Carnival of that decision. If you are booked with a TA who has made that decision, you will not be able to get paper documents. Sooooooo, if paper documents are that important to you, check with your agency before you book.

It will only be a matter of time before e-docs will be all that is available, as all the cruiselines move to streamline their procedures. Also, think of the revenue they will save by not printing out all of those pages for each cabin on each ship.

So, what are the people that don't have access to a PC, or a Printer going to do? I know several people that don't have (or want) a computer, but they still vacation... they still get paper tickets when they fly, etc. They will have to have paper docs as an option... As of a few years ago, almost half of the population didn't have internet access... that number has changed, but still... they will have to have options.

My apologies if this has already been posted, but I did a quick search and didn't see it anywhere.

I just called Carnival to ask for luggage tags after reading about the "misc" pile of luggage on debarkation day if you've printed them out and the colors aren't right. The guy I spoke to told me that so long as I don't do E docs at all, I'll still get my documents in the mail - including the luggage tags. All I'll need to do is the Fun Pass online, and make sure I don't click the "My Documents" link.

I was under the impression that they weren't mailing docs anymore, only doing them online. While e-docs are obviously quicker, I'd feel better using the luggage tags that are mailed to me rather than having embarkation luggage tags and then getting debarkation luggage tags.

Plus I like doing the doc dance when they come in the mail :p

I had inadvertently pressed for e-docs (or was it the default?). I hadn't received my docs by 30 days from cruise (now at 18), and called and requested by mail and they sent them promptly.

All e-docs does is make it convenient for Carnival, and allows THEM to cut some expenses (mail, paper, lamination) and have the customer do the work for them. Frankly, for what you pay, I would let them do it the old fashioned way. Moreover, what is one supposed to do with luggage tags that come out printed on plain paper? - They'll certainly get ripped off during the baggage handling.

Let Carnival keep sending out real mail documents, and tell them not to be so lazy. If I'm saving them money by printing out the documents myself, then let them give me a further discount - $15 to $20 for taking care of that myself sounds about right.

BnB

Can you print out as many luggage tags as you want? Just wondering because I may do the e-docs but others in my group will do traditional (since it is there first cruise I want them to able to do the doc dance!)

If I find that my luggage tags aren't the same color as theirs I was wondering if I could print them out again and use colored paper or cardstock.

The color of the tag doesn't matter. If it did Carnival would make it the right color in the e-docs. All that really matters is that your deck and cabin number are on there.

And the e-docs are in a pdf file, so if you want to make more than one luggage tag you need to print the last page of the pdf file multiple times, or simply make copies of that page.

The color of the tag doesn't matter. If it did Carnival would make it the right color in the e-docs. All that really matters is that your deck and cabin number are on there.

And the e-docs are in a pdf file, so if you want to make more than one luggage tag you need to print the last page of the pdf file multiple times, or simply make copies of that page.

Thanks. I know the color "shouldn't" matter but I'm sure it's easier for them to be sorted when they glance at the colors. I wonder if it will start taking longer for luggage to be delivered once more people start using e-docs?

when should I expect my cruise documents for a cruise August 20-25, 2007. It was booked through a TA.

probably next week...i usually get mine about a month before cruising!

enjoy!

I printed out e-docs for my August 12 cruise, tags were salmon color. I recv'd docs by mail on Monday, tags look totally different.

Same cruise, same story. The tags I received in the mail were purple, the ones online were salmon (I could see the color on the screen and it printed out the same.) I requested mailed docs, then over the weekend I noticed that the preferrence changed to e-docs online so I just printed them thinking that Carnival had stopped offering a choice. My mailed docs came on Monday. They were exacatly the same except for the tag color.

Archived