Horsebacking riding HELP

Giantfan13

We are seniors and not really beach people. We were thinking about doing a horseback riding excursion, as I ahve read some nice things about them on these boards. I have seen several different outfits that do the horseback riding, and wonder if anyone has some good recommendations for this. We both ahve never ridden before, but at our age,. we need to try and experience as much as possible. What would be our best options. Thanks

We are seniors and not really beach people. We were thinking about doing a horseback riding excursion, as I ahve read some nice things about them on these boards. I have seen several different outfits that do the horseback riding, and wonder if anyone has some good recommendations for this. We both ahve never ridden before, but at our age,. we need to try and experience as much as possible. What would be our best options. Thanks

This was just written on another thread:

As far is riding horseback on the island I guess what I would say is just take a good look at the condition of the horse and how they are being kept before making a decision. I have riden at Ranco Bueno Vista on the east side of the island many years ago and the horses looked very good but I have no idea of their current condition. Perhaps other cruisers can update us. Some rules regarding the amount of shade they must have are being observed. If it were me and I saw a horse standing along the side of the road tied most of the day under a wee bit of shade, I might be reluctant to ride them.

We have done this on all of our cruises to different places, You will enjoy Cozumel, the horseback adventure is the best! we were last there in nov 2006, and the guides really made the trip! they pick you up at the pier, and take you to the ranch, the horses are well cared for, they are all sizes, and the guides are really good at matching the horses to your experience. the tour is very educational as well, with the english speaking guide. the ranch has improved as far as they have added a swimming pool for after the ride to cool off, they have a small restaurant and gift shop. the chicken tacos are the best that I have ever had! I am a horse person, and have 2 at home, the horses there are really taken care of. also of interest there, they have mayan dogs at the ranch, they are completely hairless and a dark grey colored skin. you will not regret this tour, you can book through the cruise lines or cheaper directly thru the ranch online. the horses are very gentle!.....now in costa maya I would not advise it for the reason the horses are not cared for and have ticks in their ears that are obvious just money makers. Dominican republic...the horses are very well cared for and are large retired polo ponies. I highly recomend cozumel horse adventure have been there twice each 10 yrs apart and saw no problems! have fun!

You might want to look at this also:

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Anhorse?From=Activities

http://aventurasnaturalascozumel.com/junglehorseback/index.htm

I will be doing horseback riding too, but decided to do it in Belize this time instead of Cozumel, because couldn't find anything interesting to do in Belize. I contacted the people from aventuras naturales, and they responded quickly (unlike the one in Belize). But since I haven't been there myself, can't tell what the conditions are for the horses. Please do let us know if you do book with any tour company for horseback riding and let us know how your experience is, so it would help us in the future.:)

Creek42

Your post intrigued me very much. You did not mention the operator of this tour, or where I should go to try and book it. Do you Have a link??

I have checked out the other links and they basically put me back where I was at the beginning, with several options, looking for the best one. You had a very high recommendation, and I would like to follow thru with it. Please supply some more info. thanks so much.

Creek42

Your post intrigued me very much. You did not mention the operator of this tour, or where I should go to try and book it. Do you Have a link??

I have checked out the other links and they basically put me back where I was at the beginning, with several options, looking for the best one. You had a very high recommendation, and I would like to follow thru with it. Please supply some more info. thanks so much.

I think your best bet would be to book thru the cruise lines shore excursions due to the fact that you will be in the first group to get off the ship in the morning. the Buena Vista ranch I believe is the only one in cozumel to do the rides. the bus is airconditioned, but the ride will be hot, so be prepared for that, I believe that the price was 70.00 each through carnival...but I promise it is well worth it! I will look up the other links and get back with you. I do not recomend the carriage rides dowtown due to the abuse of these horses.

I think your best bet would be to book thru the cruise lines shore excursions due to the fact that you will be in the first group to get off the ship in the morning. the Buena Vista ranch I believe is the only one in cozumel to do the rides. the bus is airconditioned, but the ride will be hot, so be prepared for that, I believe that the price was 70.00 each through carnival...but I promise it is well worth it! I will look up the other links and get back with you. I do not recomend the carriage rides dowtown due to the abuse of these horses.

Carnival charges $89 for this activity. And no, they are not the only one with horseback riding in Cozumel. But if you want to be on the safe side, going with the cruise line is not a bad decision.

The other source I located was through the Cozumel Insider (link on this page) they advertise horseback riding for 35.00 per person, but I am not familiar with that one, maybe NYC1234 can give some input on it since he/she is familiar. Anyway I know you will enjoy!

Thanks everyone for all your help. If we can go horseback riding for $35 per person opposed to $70 or $80 per person, we definitely need to consider that. I have seen a couple of outfits that do the horseback riding, and that was the point of my original post. One was a 2 hour event, the other 2 1/2 hours and we even saw one for 3 hours. Time is not a big thing as that's all we are scheduling for the day, but we were just looking for a recommendation as to which outfit was the best one to chose.

Archived