Budget

BayStreet

My wife and I are booked on our first cruise (Celebrity- Summit) and are wondering how much money we should budget per day? I know its a tough question in that everyone's spending habits are different, but I'm just trying to get a rough idea.

First let me ask, do you drink, do you gamble.

As an example my DH and I like to have wine with dinner and some beverages when at Sea, we plan on 100.00 per day for spending on the boat. However; we do not gamble.

Neither one of us tend to drink a lot and I would consider myself a very moderate gambler. If $100/ per day is a good average for sea days, what is the average for port days seeing how we're not very likely to be doing many excursions, preferring instead to hop in a cab tour the islands, grab a light bite to eat and sit on the beach for the balance of the day.

It would probably be less than $100/day. My family of four spent approx. $1000 during a 4 day cruise. This included drinks for my husband, daughter and me as well as gambling - slots and blackjack. The girls bought souvenirs and we always ate onboard!

Ahoy there! Congratulations on your First Cruise! The Summit is one of the most beautiful Ships in the world. You are going to have a Great Time.

DST asked the most relative question in regards to budgeting, because Alcohol & Gambling can run a Tab higher than the CN Tower. But SPA treatments, and Beauty Shop visits come in a close second! Not to mention the super buys in the Boutiques!

Remember, Bay Street, if this is a 7 day Cruise, you will have to budget the gratuities in first. They will be applied to your account automatically @ $10/day/person. After that I usually advise my clients to budget $100./day/person. If you have money left after the cruise, great! It is important to budget for the unknown. One trip to the Medic will cost at least $50. cash. Better to be safe, than sorry. Bon Voyage!

Consider these things when planning

1. Tipping: $10 pp / per day = $140 for 2 people on a 7 night cruise. Plus you have to tip taxi drivers, porters, tour guides etc.

2. Drinking: Average $5 per drink + 15% tip. The price goes up for premium drinks. If you don't want the souvenier cup, tell them or they will sell you one each time. Wine with dinner will be at least $25 per bottle, probably more. A soda card will be about $30 pp for the trip.

3. Excursions: It's hard to find one under $50 pp. I'd budget at least $100 per port.

4. Gambling: Only you know how much you can lose. Bingo is about $25 per day.

5. Spa: minimum $100 per treatment + tip

6. Souveniers / shopping: what will you buy? jewelrey? Do you have to have something from every port? Will you want any of the photos taken of you around the ship? They are going to be $10-$15 each.

7. Extras: will you go to the premium restuarants on board? Add $15-20 pp per meal. Do you need internet time? It's about $1 per minute or more. If you make a ship to shore call that will be $7.95 per minute.

I hope that helps.

Bon Voyage.

Archived