Travel Insurance

SabrinaNP

Do most passengers purchase travel insurance offerred by the cruise line? I am booking a cruise with Celebrity & their travel insurance seems very expensive. Any suggesstions?:)

Generally purchasing travel insurance through a cruise line is expensive. Do a Google search for travel insurance. Some sites will pop up. I think Crusie Critic has a article on the site somewhere with some links. I paid $96 to cover me and my wife (based on total travel cost). It didn't cover "cancel for no reason".

I used to purchase travel insurance though the cruise lines until I learned that I could purchase travel insurance on my own that was not only cheaper than those offered by the cruise line but offered more comprehensive policies. As the other poster mentioned, a good source on this is insuremytrip.com

You will be asked for some information on this site and then it will provide a variety of insurance options to meet your needs.

Keith

I book through a travel agency and I pay only $99.00 for the insurance. I find that price reasonable just for the piece of mind it gives me since I always book my cruises a year in advance. A lot of things can happen in twelve months that might force me to cancel my plans. By using a TA the cost of the insurance is added to the cost of my cruise so I always budget ahead of time for the insurance.

I book through a travel agency and I pay only $99.00 for the insurance. I find that price reasonable just for the piece of mind it gives me since I always book my cruises a year in advance. A lot of things can happen in twelve months that might force me to cancel my plans. By using a TA the cost of the insurance is added to the cost of my cruise so I always budget ahead of time for the insurance.

The price of insurance reflects the amount of coverage you're buying. If you need medical coverage or want to be covered for medical evacuation, the costs will reflect that. Simple cancellation or interuption will be cheaper.

O.P. Remember too there is generally a provision for pre existing medical conditions if purchased within 14 days of first payment. It's invaluable when concerned about health of family members at home and the risk of having to go home early or cancelling due to their health problems.

Go to the web sites mentioned to compare your needs in several companies.

If you're using a travel agent, they should look at both cruise line insurance and third party insurance for every trip. Depending on the cliemt & the cruise line, there are times to buy cruiseline insurance and time to buy it thru a third party company.

Happy sailin'

Lois

Do most passengers purchase travel insurance offerred by the cruise line? I am booking a cruise with Celebrity & their travel insurance seems very expensive. Any suggesstions?:)

Here's a couple things to keep in mind:

Make sure your policy is real insurance. Don't get fooled into buying "travel protection" offered by non-insurance companies. These other companies are often fly-by-night outfits who are not governed by the same rules and bonding/reserve requirements that insurers are.

Do not buy travel protection or insurance issued by your travel agency, airline, or cruise line. There is bound to be some contention here from fellow travels, but think about why you are buying the insurance. What good is insurance if the airline, travel agency, or cruise line you are traveling with goes under? You never know. (The one possible exception to this rule is if you pay with a credit card that covers financial default). Now, this is not to say you shouldn't buy your travel insurance from any provider, like your Travel Agent. Just make sure the insurance is independent of the provider. Your Travel Agent will certainly appreciate the small commission they make from selling you the policy.

Here are our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

Archived