Prepaid tips

user43147

In the past I have had pre-paid tips charged to my account when I board. This time it was in my cruise charge by the TA ($70 p/p) that was paid 60 days prior to sail. Is this common? I just didn't expect it until we established our S&S account on board. I just don't want to get charged twice for the pre-paid tips.

Thanks for any info.

You won't be charged again for tips. I have done prepaid tips and never had a problem. The only thing that I don't like about Carnival's method is you have nothing to give individuals to indicate that tips have been provided. At least on RCL you are given a paper voucher to hand to each individual so they know that their efforts were appreciated.

When I sailed on Inspiration I tipped extra and told each individual that it was a little extra to go along with the prepaid tip.

You won't be charged again for tips. I have done prepaid tips and never had a problem. The only thing that I don't like about Carnival's method is you have nothing to give individuals to indicate that tips have been provided. At least on RCL you are given a paper voucher to hand to each individual so they know that their efforts were appreciated.

When I sailed on Inspiration I tipped extra and told each individual that it was a little extra to go along with the prepaid tip.

BigDog, the stewards, and I believe the wait staff also, can see the prepaid tips on their cabin/table manifest. So they already know when we board they've been paid.

We also like to hand any extra out individually.

I just prepaid my tips for my upcoming November cruise. I never prepaid before. I do hope the staff knows that they have been pre-tipped but I honestly never thought about that. I usually tip extra at the end anyway.

In the past I have had pre-paid tips charged to my account when I board. This time it was in my cruise charge by the TA ($70 p/p) that was paid 60 days prior to sail. Is this common? I just didn't expect it until we established our S&S account on board. I just don't want to get charged twice for the pre-paid tips.

Thanks for any info.

Yup, just sounds like you have your terminology wrong... if you prepay your tips, you pay them before your cruise, which is what it sounds like your TA did. You won't be charged again.

Thanks for any info.

I have never prepaid a tip for anything. On Carnival in the past I have had the option of giving my tip to the person who earned it or charged to my S&S account. When it was charged to my S&S account I was given a sheet to give to that person who earned it. On Celebrity it was the same. Even on RCCL it worked that way. And on those lines I could give more or less to those I believed deserved it. Only on NCL I was levied a charge, not a tip, and could not change it. No sheet of paper was given either to give to the person to show what if anything you gave as a tip. That money probably went into someone's pocket, but, I have no way of proving it.

I have never prepaid a tip for anything. On Carnival in the past I have had the option of giving my tip to the person who earned it or charged to my S&S account. When it was charged to my S&S account I was given a sheet to give to that person who earned it. On Celebrity it was the same. Even on RCCL it worked that way. And on those lines I could give more or less to those I believed deserved it. Only on NCL I was levied a charge, not a tip, and could not change it. No sheet of paper was given either to give to the person to show what if anything you gave as a tip. That money probably went into someone's pocket, but, I have no way of proving it.

It's not that way on CCL... you are not given the paper, they are charged to your account and they distribute them.... it's MUCH easier! I had it the way you described on RCCL, what a pain.

I don't know why your TA didn't give you the option of prepaying or having the auto tips on your S&S account. However, the cabin steward and dining room waiters get a printout out of who has prepaid before the cruise - as well as who has left the auto tips on or removed them.

The last coupla cruises, I've prepaid. It's nice to get that amount out of the way before the cruise.:) Then, I tip a little extra on the last evening.

Archived