Shopping in Cozumel....

nightingail

We will be on the Fascination in Nov. As near as I can figure out, we will dock at the Puerta Maya Pier. Does anyone have any info on shopping near the pier, or do we need to take a cab? We are interested in the "famous blankets" and maybe some onyx gifts. Any suggestions?......Nightingail.

You will either pull into Puerta Maya (which has some great shops right there) or into Punta Longosta (which has some shops but is within walking distance of downtown). If you are at Puerta Maya, I like Los Cinco Soles or Mariachi.

Although there a many shops at some of the piers, prices are usally much cheaper downtown. For example, after much bargaining, my brother-in-law bought straw hat at one of the shops near the pier for $30. We saw the same hat at several shops on side streets in San Miguel. Price without bargaining - $12.

Some things are great at the international pier but I learned the hard way if you find something go ahead and buy it. The only thing I wanted to buy for myself was some Mexican Vanilla. I saw it for sale in the pier area and got the price but I didn't want to carry it around all day so I thought I would get it when I got back from downtown or I would buy it there if it was cheaper. It was more expensive downtown so I waited until I got back to the pier, and then they were totally sold out. I found out from others later that the vanilla at the pier is not as good quality as what is downtown which is why it was cheaper.

Make sure the vanilla is PURE vanilla.

On another note, the locals shop at the "San Francisco" markets, it's a chain.

We grabbed a cab there and bought some great spices. I like to try different things with them once I get back home.

Have fun.....and stick with San Miguel for shopping...there is just so much there you have to find what you want. Dolly :)

Archived