Whale Watching in Ensenada?

My mom & I will be on the Monarch of the Seas in January. We are hoping to do some whale watching while in Ensenada. However, I see that it is not offered as an excursion through RCI. I read an article in the paper about a guy named "Sergio" who does them and I found a website from a "Sergio" in Ensenada advertising whale watching tours. However, I always feel better booking an independent tour when my good buddies at CC can recommend an operator! So, has anyone done this in Ensenada & what was your experience like?:)

I posted this question on the Ports board, but got no response....:(

Hey Sunny AZ Girl (like your name),

Last time we went to Ensenada we did a lot of homework for the whale-watching thing. Basically came up with there was no great viewing. There will be a few out there but nothing like in Maui or something like that. You are correct in being safe and stay with fellow passengers though.

Enjoy your cruise!

John

Hey Sunny AZ Girl (like your name),

Last time we went to Ensenada we did a lot of homework for the whale-watching thing. Basically came up with there was no great viewing. There will be a few out there but nothing like in Maui or something like that. You are correct in being safe and stay with fellow passengers though.

Enjoy your cruise!

John

I wish the budget would allow Maui - however since I have a 9 night booked for April to the Eastern Caribbean & am planning a Med Cruise in 2009 I have to be content with Ensenada!:rolleyes: However, I did get a newspaper article sent to me from Palm Springs, FL written by a guy who went on the Monarch & then went out with an operator named Sergio. They saw quite a few whales - they were in a pod of about 15 of them. He went at the same time of year. So, I'm hoping.......:D

BTW, I see you are from Tucson, so "hi" neighbor!;) I'm sure your avater picture wasn't taken there, though.... Are you staying dry down there? We now have a swimming pool in our back yard that wasn't there a week ago!:eek:

they were in a pod of about 15 of them. He went at the same time of year. So, I'm hoping.......:D

BTW, I see you are from Tucson, so "hi" neighbor! I'm sure your avater picture wasn't taken there, though.... Are you staying dry down there? We now have a swimming pool in our back yard that wasn't there a week ago!:eek:

LOL, the "avater" photo is actually my wife and I on the Great Wall in China. I need to get another photo because everyone thinks were are on the ski slope or something (we don't have any of those in Tucson:eek: ...lol).

The moonsoons are kicking butt and we need the rain so much.

Good luck with your whales and enjoy both cruises!

John

I'm interested too because we might do the 3-night in January also. I did a search here and didn't come up with much. I also did a google search and came up with a few sites. I did find out that whale season there starts at the end of December and goes to mid-March maybe. I'll just post the websites that I found. Hopefully someone will post with better info.

http://www.ensenada.com/sergios/whales.html

Haha! Look! I think this is Sergio's site!!!! And apparently this is the only one I bookmarked. But google "whale watching ensenada" to come up with more.

Beth - that is the same site I found, too. And I think that it's the same guy that I read about in the newspaper article. We will be on the Monarch on Jan. 11 - great prices!:cool: Come join us and we'll figure it out together.:cool:

John - Yep, I thought that avater picture was taken during one of those many Tuscon blizzards...:p Lucky you going to see the Great Wall! But you're right about the monsoon - we had more rain this evening, too!:)

I would be surprised if there was any decent whale watching off Ensenada in January. The California gray whale which is the species that migrates from Alaska to Baja California has usually passed southward already and is further down the Baja at Bahia Magdalena where they calve. The northward migration is normally in late March early April when they pass close enough to San Diego to be seen from shore and there are many whale watching excusion boats going out daily. But January, best you could hope for is a straggler - sorry:(

Archived