any recommendations for travel insur. for 82 yr old

pcann

If you are writing third party insurance, be sure to not miss a deadline. Many (most) insurers demand you write the insurance within a certain number of days in order for pre-existing conditions to be covered.

If you are buying HAL insurance, you have to buy it when you book the cruise.

My father will be taking a solo cruise in Nov. and I would like to make sure I get the insurance coverage which works best for him but is not expensive. Any suggestions?

The answer really depends on when, or if, you've booked the cruise (see some of the preceding suggestions). The extent of the health coverage purchased depends on his existing policy. Don't forget to include an emergency evacuation clause. That's probably not covered by his current insurance.

My father will be taking a solo cruise in Nov. and I would like to make sure I get the insurance coverage which works best for him but is not expensive. Any suggestions?

yes the cruise lines own insurance is not age rated....its the only one that doesn't do that

The cruiseline's standard coverage is not insurance, it is cancellation coverage only, and does not reimburse the entire cost of your cruise if you have to cancel. It is much less coverage than you will get with a regular travel insurance policy and premiums on the cruiseline policy also are calculated on the full price of your cruise, NOT on what you actually paid for the cruise. Reimbursement for cancelling is a % of what you actually paid while your premiums are calculated on a much higher amount. Travel insurance from a 3rd party provider reimburses 100% of what you paid if you cancel for a covered reason.

Yes, this is tricky and you must understand the fine print. That is why I suggested discussing all your options with your TA before you decide. ;)

The cruiseline's standard coverage is not insurance, it is cancellation coverage only, and does not reimburse the entire cost of your cruise if you have to cancel. It is much less coverage than you will get with a regular travel insurance policy and premiums on the cruiseline policy also are calculated on the full price of your cruise, NOT on what you actually paid for the cruise. Reimbursement for cancelling is a % of what you actually paid while your premiums are calculated on a much higher amount. Travel insurance from a 3rd party provider reimburses 100% of what you paid if you cancel for a covered reason.

Yes, this is tricky and you must understand the fine print. That is why I suggested discussing all your options with your TA before you decide. ;)

Holland America's Platinum plan, however, does cover emergency medical expenses up to $10k and $50k for emergency medevac. HAL's brochures emphasize that their standard plan is not insurance, but CPP (Cancellation Protection Plan). I certainly am not recommending this, just want you to know it is available. CPP is 4.75% of "Tariff" (brochure rate), Platinum is 6.25% of "Tariff".

We used Travelguard insurance recommended by our TA, I do not remember the cost, however the premiums do increase with age. My mother who is 72 had to medically evacuated from the Maasdam to Tortola, BVI, then to Miami, and then to Boston in January. Medicare will not cover medical care out of the US, so the insurance company paid for the ship infirmary, hospital bill from Tortola, $12,000 medivac to Miami, first class flight with oxygen to Boston, all ambulances, oxygen,reimbursement for unused portion of the trip, prescriptions etc. More importantly they arrange the whole medivac flights, ambulances, oxygen and commercial flights to get you home again. I would NEVER travel without this insurance. Good luck!

We used Travelguard insurance recommended by our TA, I do not remember the cost, however the premiums do increase with age. My mother who is 72 had to medically evacuated from the Maasdam to Tortola, BVI, then to Miami, and then to Boston in January. Medicare will not cover medical care out of the US, so the insurance company paid for the ship infirmary, hospital bill from Tortola, $12,000 medivac to Miami, first class flight with oxygen to Boston, all ambulances, oxygen,reimbursement for unused portion of the trip, prescriptions etc. More importantly they arrange the whole medivac flights, ambulances, oxygen and commercial flights to get you home again. I would NEVER travel without this insurance. Good luck!

Thank you for this post. I think it very helpful when someone posts about their experience when they have actually submitted a claim. I am sorry your mother became ill while traveling but happy she was taken care of and that Travelguard was so helpful.

I hope she is recovered and well now.

Archived