Galley tour - how do you get one?

sns101

Do they have to be offered through the capers, or can you request one? If so, through whom - the CD, the maitre'd, the purser's desk? I don't imagine they do a whole lot of them, and I don't remember them being offered on the Pride. I would find it fascinating! Any tips for scoring one? Thanks!

We have done two (Ecstasy and the Inspiration). Check your Capers on a sea day sometime in the afternoon. Not too bad of away to spend the day if you don't want to sun on deck.

Besides the galley tour and the end the food service usually had a demostration such as how they make cakes, the food decorations for the grand buffet, a tasting of the foo foo drinks from the beverage service, and how they fold napkins/ make towel animals.

We have been offered a galley tour on all of our cruises. It is part of the activities listed in the capers and normally on a sea day. Usually only 1 offered per cruise. Everyone meets in a central location (like the dining room) for brief intro and then off to the tour.

On our recent Legend cruise, the galley tour was offered on the last day before we got home. It started in the main show lounge (Follies) with a bit of info (how many thousands of pounds of things we had consumed, how they ordered the food, etc.) and some Q&A...all very interesting. We then got the tour of the galley itself, with the demonstrations CorbinCatFan mentioned. All in all, it took less than an hour and was pretty enlightening...even to this Navy Sailor who has seen her share of shipboard galleys.

Also if you are a Platinum member you will get an invitation to make a reservation for a galley tour.

Dave

Dave,

How does one go about getting one of these invitations? We were on the Liberty last month and wife is Platinum. I checked the Capers every day and never got any personalized invitations.

Bill

Dave,

How does one go about getting one of these invitations? We were on the Liberty last month and wife is Platinum. I checked the Capers every day and never got any personalized invitations.

Bill

It was in my cabin on the Holiday in my Platinum welcome package. It basically read to call a number to be put on the list for the galley tour. It gave the date and time the tour was to take place.

Dave

It was in my cabin on the Holiday in my Platinum welcome package. It basically read to call a number to be put on the list for the galley tour. It gave the date and time the tour was to take place.

Dave

Thanks for the reply. Maybe we did get it and we didn't see it. I'll have to get my wife to check. It was hers and I really didn't check out what she got except for the bag.

Next CCL cruise I'll pay more attention since I'll be platinum too.:p

Bill

SSOCeanLover, on our cruise (Carnival Legend) the tour was open to all...not just Platinum members. It was offered on our last sea day and was in the Capers and also announced at dinner and over the loudspeaker.

truecruiser, the Q&A portion started in the Follies Lounge and took about 30-45 minutes. The walk-thru of the galley itself was about 5 minutes, self-paced. You just had to wait in line to get thru. All in all, it took about 1 hour. I do really recommend the Q&A because that's where you get a lot of the information (how they manage, how the cooks are trained, how the servers rise from working for the crewmembers on their first voyage, etc...) I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it.

SSOCeanLover, on our cruise (Carnival Legend) the tour was open to all...not just Platinum members. It was offered on our last sea day and was in the Capers and also announced at dinner and over the loudspeaker.

truecruiser, the Q&A portion started in the Follies Lounge and took about 30-45 minutes. The walk-thru of the galley itself was about 5 minutes, self-paced. You just had to wait in line to get thru. All in all, it took about 1 hour. I do really recommend the Q&A because that's where you get a lot of the information (how they manage, how the cooks are trained, how the servers rise from working for the crewmembers on their first voyage, etc...) I really enjoyed it and would highly recommend it.

thank you.

Archived