Which shore excursion in Montevideo?

Cruzer Two

The one we took was a special one that likely would not be offered. It was a complimentary one to the horse races.

Regardless of what you do I would do an excursion in this port and not walk around on your own. I did not care for the area that surrounds the cruise ship terminal and do not recommend venturing out on your own due to crime issues. So, I would highly recommend some type of excursion if you care to see this port.

Keith

Keith is correct. While there is a small and nice commercial area just outside the port terminal area this stop is best done with a tour. You can get a free shuttle both ways to and from thedowntown from a couple of leather shops. You don't have to go into their store but you likely will. We were there on a Sunday and the downtown was pretty dead. We wish we had done the gaucho excursion but we went to Iguazu from BA on our own and had shot the budget big time.:) :D :) :D

Has anyone done the HAL "Taste of Montevideo & the Wine Trail" tour? It includes a tour of the city with a visit to the Santa Rosa Winery for wine tasting and lunch accompanied by tango and candombe entertainment.

Ron

Did you take a ship sponsored shore excursion in Montevideo? If, yes, which one and would you recommend it to others.

Thanks,

Ron

We will be in Montevideo with RCI on Splendour of the Seas. Their web site does not have any excursions posted yet.

I was considering just walking around the town, but think I will reconsider. As we are 7, a private tour could be the best bet to a Gaucho farm. Or maybe Punta del Este. This is 85 miles from Montevideo - doesa anyone think this is worth the journey?

Ron, I was in Montevideo in January 2006 (on the Rotterdam) and did the basic city tour (about 4 hours) in the morning. Quite frankly, I found it to be quite boring. I spoke with passengers who did the abreviated city tour with the winery tour added on, and they loved it. In hindsight, I wish that was the one that I had done. The area just outside the port is fine for wandering around, however there's not much to see and do. A wee bit of shopping and some places to eat/drink in a market-like setting about 2 minutes from the ship. You can walk to the city core from the ship, but again, not much to see on the way. I was on my own and didn't encounter any problems (crime wise)....it's rundown, but nobody bothered me while I wandered around (as a single woman in SA, that was unusual!).

If you have a chance to do the city/wine tour, I'd say go for it. By the way, the Valparaiso to Rio (via Antarctica) cruise is amazing!!!! I did a review of my cruise and it is posted in the Members Reviews section of this board. If you would like to see any pictures from the cruise, let me know.

If you have a chance to do the city/wine tour, I'd say go for it. By the way, the Valparaiso to Rio (via Antarctica) cruise is amazing!!!! I did a review of my cruise and it is posted in the Members Reviews section of this board. If you would like to see any pictures from the cruise, let me know.

traveller123: I read you review and it was very informative. Please send me a link to your pictures. Thanks for the information.

Ron

We otpted for the excursion to Punta del Este from Montevideo. It was long, uninspiring trip, IMO. There was not much to see enroute and unless you really enjoy seeing what a "jet set" beach resort town looks like, there is not much else to see. I would rank this excursion amongst the bottom 5 we have ever taken while on a cruise. But, different strokes for different folks!

This posting is very refreshing. I was of the opinion that my boredom while viewing Montevideo was a solo belief. As I don't seem to see many things in the same way as the majority, I believed that it was my problem. It is so nice to hear that I was far from alone.

Many times while reading the boards I see how differently people view what a cruise means to them and what they choose to do with their time and money.

With this I must say that one of the times in Montevideo I took an excursion to "Jewish Montevideo" where I learned of the effects of the community caused by the failure of the Argentine banks a number of years ago.

I did however,find that the internet cafe at the end of the pier is much less expensive than e-mailing aboard ship and comfortable too.

Fran

I don't know if enjoy is the correct word. I think that we got a closer look at everyday life for a segment of the population. There was so much information that I was unaware of before the tour. It was sad in many ways.

They have a kosher soup kitchen because of the poverty brought on by the Argentinian bank flop. I also went to see a few synagogues. They were very grateful for the few dollars we left behind. The synagogues were quite different than those I have visited in the US or Canada. Montevideo has the only Holocaust Memorial in South America.

As I said I don't know if enjoy is the correct word but I was certainly glad that I went. It was much, much more interesting than the half day city tour as I returned to Montevideo.

Fran

I was on the M/V Marco Polo and took a ship's tour. Sorry, I don't even know the name of the guide. The person who takes you must have connections in the community. Because of fire bombing they have no signs and are guarded by some guys. You won't get near the door if you don't have clearance. If your tour company can guarantee entrance to the synagogues, I would go with them but don't pay until you have visited them. Good Luck

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

Hi -

I took the Jewish tour in Montevideo earlier this year and it was very worthwhile! Our tour guide was named Fanny Margolis and she was extremely knowledgeable, spoke perfect English, and she is Jewish! Fanny's personal email is:

NFirst@Netgate.com.uy

She should be able to tell you how to book a tour on your own if your ship is not offering this tour as an option.

This tour was the ship's tour offered by Celebrity (it was $48 pp for a half-day tour). We almost filled 2 buses.

I only wish I had left more money at each of the synagogues we visited. The holocaust memorial at oceanside was very moving.

Safe journey to you all!

Liz

• 2 weeks later...

If you are considering a private tour in Montevideo, you should have a look at http://www.realenglishtours.com.They will tailor a tour to meet your particular needs, and do it in good English, since they are British, and therefore native speakers. They are of the highest standards, and will be able to meet just about any requirements you might have.

In this particular case I believe that it will be difficult to arrange with any company which is not familiar to the site administrators. Terrorism is a real concern. The buildings are guarded and entrance is carefully monitored. There have been incidents in the past and great care is taken.

It would be wise to ensure that you will be able to enter the synagogues if you go with a private guide or company. IMHO payment should depend on your success in this case.

Fran

• 1 month later...

We plan on going on the Jewish Montevideo tour offered on our Princess cruise for January 2008. The sights it visits sound so different. If we have time we plan on doing a general city tour as well. We are only in the port 8 hours, including getting on and off and all.

~Michelle

We signed up for the Jewish Heritage tour through Celebrity. We are on the Infinity leaving Dec. 9th. I also understand that there is a Jewish section in Buenos Aires, but no tours are posted. We're gong to BA a couple days in advance and may look into this through our hotel.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been twice to BA with the UJA and its a fascinating, often moving experience. One of my closest friends is very involved with arranging tours in BA, so I should be able to get you some references when she returns from there by the end of the week. In BA the security is very tight at the synagogue (which is gorgoeus, we were there on Shabbat and they would welcome you to the service, but its strongly conservative so no picture taking, there is a soup kitchen at the back of the synagogue) and also at the Jewish Community Center building where there is an Agam sculpture that is a memorial to the people who were killed in the bombing in the early 90's. There is still a vigil that is held once a week demanding justice for those who were killed (some Argentine officials have been implicated in the bombing). Hopefully I will have some names for you by the end of the week.

Here is my friend from BA's message regarding tour guides in Bueneos Aires:

There are three guides that the JDC office uses and recommends for general and Jewish touring. I’ve heard great feedback on all three. Here is their contact information.

1) Maria Barcelo : mariabarcelo@fibertel.com.ar

Her phone number is: 011- 54911- 4945-6522 (calling from abroad) or 154945-6522 (calling within BA).

2) Susana Alter: susanalter@ciudad.com.ar

Cel 15 5335-1757 (once you are in Buenos Aires ) or 011-54-911-5335-1757 (if you call from the states)

3) Evelyn Kollman: evelynkollman@fibertel.com.ar

Cel 15 4447-9246 (once you are in Bs As) or 011-54-911-4447-9246 (if you call from the states)

Alan

My friend and her father forwarded, long extensive information regarding touring BA. They include recommendations for shopping, to do and sites to see (detailed reasons to go or avoid). I'm happy to post them, but they are long.

Alan

Archived