Crown - These air-conditioning complaints are getting to me!

lysolqn

We were on the Crown twice. Last year on the Baha deck and it felt a little warm at times. This year we were forward on the Caribe deck and it was better than last year. Very comfortable but not FREEZING cold. When you are in port, it seems to feel warmer than when the ship is moving. The public areas did feel much cooler and more comfortable this year than they did last year.

Here's a few suggestions. Don't keep the balcony doors open too long. It will warm up and take a while to cool back down. Also, keep your curtains closed if the sun is shining directly into the room. Regardless of how strong the AC is, this can really heat up a room.

Plaza Deck 209 and 211 were quite cool at night, in fact too cold (and I'm a hot-flashy middle-aged woman,) but the cabins got very warm when we were in port. This was in December 06. It seemed that when we were in port, the sun was nearly always beating down on the starboard sie of the ship which was our side. These were ocean-view cabins.

I believe that all the air conditioning on the ship is done in circuits.......therefore what someone does in a cabin on your circuit affects you. Those that keep their balcony doors open all the time and keep the a/c on DO affect others on their circuit.....whether they want to admit it or not.

And the ship is ALWAYS warmer when in port than when under way. Every cruise I have been on the a/c is not as strong as it is when the ship is at sea.

We were on the July 14 sailing and in cabin D734 (full aft). Our A/C was just fine; no problems whatsoever. In fact, there were a few times we adjusted it up because it was really cold!

It might be interesting to compare locations since there seems to be a lot of variation here. We had D 221 on our last Crown cruise ---- starboard side, forward of midship . We had no problems at all with our A/C, but we were careful to close the drapes when the sun was on our side (a tip we picked up from these boards before our cruise!!) We also kept the balcony door closed.

My husband and I were on the first sailing of the Crown and there was very little if any AC in our room. Friends were next door and theirs was fine. It was so bad that we had a hard time dressing for dinner since clothing was sticking to you. The only relief we got was to open the balcony door and the hallway door. But you couldn't get dressed with that open.

When I did get back I wrote Princess and told them of the problem. They gave each of us $250 credit to a future cruise.

We've always noticed that it can get very warm at night, so we noticed that the thermostat is on a timer. Goes off late at night, goes back on early in the morning. So no matter how low you set it, it won't matter. Keep an eye on the light on the thermostat...you'll see.

We have booked the Crown for October to Caribbean (only 7 days) on Caribe balcony 707, but we have a 28 day transatlantic booked on inside A411 from Copenhagen.

Any information anyone on the AC in either of these cabins?

That long cruise could be uncomfortable in an inside with warm temps.

Thanks!!!

I will be on the Caribe deck 9/6 (aft)

Please tell me more about the balcony... Is it really that much bigger? Do they have lounge chairs out there?

Kathy - we were on the inaugural of the Crown in June, 2006, Caribe 209. Balconies were bigger. Half covered and half uncovered. They had a small table, two chairs - I can't remember having loungers but read in someone else's post that there are also two loungers. You look down on the balconies below you and the people on Baja look down on you. Dolphin balconies are not covered at all.

We're on 9/6 cruise too on Caribe midship.

Carolyn from Staten Island

My sister and I had an inside cabin and with it all the way low, it was freezing in there! This from a man who loves it to be cold...so my AC was more than sufficient. Across the hall in a balcony room, my parents' room was way too hot for them to handle. They had maintanence look at it but noting was done.

I will be on the Caribe deck rm 709 9/6. This will be a big problem since we both love it ice cold...

Wer they accomodating when complaints were made?

We just got off the Crown and were on the Caribe in C531. Our room was hot. It had its moments of cool but never cold. If the sun is on your side of the ship the room can get very warm. We had friends who had a thermometer on their alarm clock and their room averaged about 78 degrees most days with air on as low as it could go.

They told the pursers desk and received some satisfaction.

Good luck!

Mark

Thanks Mark

At least now I have an idea of what may occur... Just hope they fix these problems as they come up...

Its a horrible feeling to sweat while your trying to relax or nap... Not very comfortable... How was the breeze from an opened balcony door? Any help?

Thanks Mark

At least now I have an idea of what may occur... Just hope they fix these problems as they come up...

Its a horrible feeling to sweat while your trying to relax or nap... Not very comfortable... How was the breeze from an opened balcony door? Any help?

We thought opening the balcony door would be a great idea....WRONG! Not only did the air flow make the entire cabin vibrate, but it was so hot and humid outside that it actually made the room hotter! We kept it shut!!! We did use the balcony a fair amount, mostly at night when it was cooler, but it affected the cabin temperature way too much to keep it open.

every room i've had,has always had good a/c, all you have to do is keep doors closed, like the slider and the room door,but if you keep going in and out thru the doors,or taking very long hot showers then yes it wont seem like it is on at all,but it would help if the a/c units had better blower motors,its actually better for the a/c unit, gets room cold faster,and doesent have to work as hard,:p

every room i've had,has always had good a/c, all you have to do is keep doors closed, like the slider and the room door,but if you keep going in and out thru the doors,or taking very long hot showers then yes it wont seem like it is on at all,but it would help if the a/c units had better blower motors,its actually better for the a/c unit, gets room cold faster,and doesent have to work as hard,:p

Actually, and I am not trying to be argumentative, on the Crown, you could feel the air temp differences even in the hallways. The room stewards were trying to get it fixed for everyone, according to the couple I spoke with (sailed on 6/17). I agree that the constant in and out to the balcony is going to make a difference, but really, what should we do? Just stay out of the room or just stay in?

In all honesty, even over night, there was no difference - and no doors were opened and closed for at least 8 hours.

Oh well.

Archived