Nervous!!

shmoggy

My husband and I are super excited about going on a cruise over spring break 2008 with our kids (10, 5, 3). I'm nervous because I know next to nothing about cruising! Can anyone direct me to a thread that covers the following or answer some of my questions so I don't feel so out of control?

-Is airfare included in cruise prices?

-I'm so afraid I will lose my children or they will fall over the side of the ship...is that likely? How far apart are the bars on the ship's railings?

-We want to go to the Caribbean to see the stingrays, how do you do that, is that a separate fee?

-We're asking 10 other family members if they'd like to join us...is that a catastrophe waiting to happen? We all get along really well, so I think it'll be fine, but not sure if it'll suck because we're too big a party to eat together, etc.

I don't know why I"m so nervous, but my husband finally said yes to this and we soooo need a break from it all, so I am willing to put my fears aside and go for it!

Thanks for your help!

shmoggy

Go to the very top of this page and go back to topics. Find your cruise line board and go back three months and just start reading. After that, you will have 90% of your questions answered. Then return to the topics and find your destination board and do the same thing.

This will take some time, but if you ask a question that has been asked twice a week, you will be ignored. Take your time and enjoy the education here, its part of the experience.

no, airfare is not always included. some people buy it as a packaged deal, others buy their own.

excursions...like the sting rays are extra.

the port of calls boards will have more information on the sting rays and much more.

Welcome!

We all were new at one time!

jlp20 gave you good advice. Start reading and reading. I read for months before I ever posted a question as I found most of my answers by reading what others have written. Everyone here is very helpful when you do need some answers.

For stingrays you are going to have to look at Western Caribbean cruises that include Grand Cayman. You can book an excursion to do the stingrays seperately and save $$$. We did Nativeway and had a great time and saved about half the price of what the cruise line was charging BUT I did my homework here first before I attempted to book an excursion on my own!

You'll get the hang of it after you start doing some looking around.

My husband and I are super excited about going on a cruise over spring break 2008 with our kids (10, 5, 3). I'm nervous because I know next to nothing about cruising! Can anyone direct me to a thread that covers the following or answer some of my questions so I don't feel so out of control?

No it is not.

-I'm so afraid I will lose my children or they will fall over the side of the ship...is that likely? How far apart are the bars on the ship's railings?

People that "fall off" the ship are usually doing stupid things that a normal individual would normally not do. Since you have small children, just keep an eye on them in order to avoid them from climbing on top of the balcony furniture and leaning over.

-We want to go to the Caribbean to see the stingrays, how do you do that, is that a separate fee?

All the excursions off the ship are at an additional cost.

-We're asking 10 other family members if they'd like to join us...is that a catastrophe waiting to happen? We all get along really well, so I think it'll be fine, but not sure if it'll suck because we're too big a party to eat together, etc.

I don't know why I"m so nervous, but my husband finally said yes to this and we soooo need a break from it all, so I am willing to put my fears aside and go for it!

You are doing the right thing for doing your research before the cruise in order to avoid any confusion. As others have stated, read through the different threads and ask questions as well. There is also a tab so you can search a particular topic withing each thread.

Thanks for your help!

shmoggy

Welcome to Cruise Critic. I hope this helps.

First off welcome to Cruise Critic. My suggestion is that you find a Travel Agent who specializes in Cruises to help you. Ask friends and family if they have a recommendation.

It is normally not included in the price. Many times you do better booking the airfare yourself but sometimes better through the cruise line. Be sure to plan to fly in the day before your cruise. If you fly in the day of the cruise you run the risk of missing the ship should your flight be delayed or canceled.

I have not heard about children falling off a ship through the bars.

You would book a shore excursion either through the cruise line or on your own and yes there would be a fee.

It is fine to go in a group. My only suggestion is to also plan to have time by youselves rather than planning to be together all of the time. You may want to all go to the same TA to see if you can get a better deal as a larger group.

A cruise is wonderful for the entire family. There is so much to do both for the adults and for the children.

Keith

Schmoggy, You will do just fine. Your kids most likely will not fall overboard. You will probably like cruising so much you'll want to do it again. The price of the cruise is just that. Flying, doing shore excursions are extra. If you want soda or liquor on board that is extra. Don't be nervous, just have fun. Have a meeting place in case you all get lost.

Not usually. If booking on line they will do cruise air -- travel arranged by the cruiseline for you at an additional expensive fare. You are almost always better off booking yourself. You can control the route -- direct flight vs. layovers etc. You will most likely save money.

On the top decks there are almost always plastic "window" panes that prevent this. It is possible on your private balcony if you get one so don't let them climb. Other then climbing the bars are spcaed close enough together that even the little one can't sqeeze through.

All excursions are extra. You can book through the cruise line, which is usually more expensive but a better option for most 1st timers. The ship will wait for your return. Otherwise you can book on your own but you must keep an eye on the time. The ship will sail as scheduled whether you are on board or not.

That's up to you. They can probably put your tables near each other & you can all "table hop" each night w/i your section.

Enjoy!

Hello,

Although slightly off topic, rather than the Caribbean, consider Alaska in the summer as there are lots of things to see and do for your children, husband and you.

We are just back from our 18th and 19th cruises...B2B in Alaska.

Hope that this helps.

Fred

Before you decide on a cruise, DO get a TA who specializes in cruises for your 1st time. After that, you can do this on your own.

Not all ships and cruiselines are right for all people! You need someone to give you the differences and strengths of each line. The TA can give you a cruise brochure from all the lines you are considering, so you can read up on the rules and regs., tipping, services, etc... that will be available to you on the ship. Just do a little research and everything will go as smooth as can be!

All great advice above. Just read, read, read the boards, but don't take all the opinions too seriously. My first cruise was a family wedding and there were a lot of us. We all did things on our own and didn't try to get everyone together. You will all constantly run into each other all day long on the ship. It's not THAT big! We all picked the same dinner time, and they sat us all in tables next to each other. It was a lot of fun.

-Is airfare included in cruise prices? - Airfare is not included unless the flyer or promotiont that you are reading specifies that it is included. Don't go look for the small print if airfare was included you would see it.

-I'm so afraid I will lose my children or they will fall over the side of the ship...is that likely? How far apart are the bars on the ship's railings? Most ships do not have "railings" Balconies are made of Plexy Glass. The Prom deck has bars, but not far enough to stick a child through. Most overboard encounters happen to overly intoxicated adults, or people trying to do something stupid. I have yet to hear of a child falling over in my 5 years of cruise experience. Also the child program on the ships keep a good eye on the children.

-We want to go to the Caribbean to see the stingrays, how do you do that, is that a separate fee? - Yes this will be considered a shore excursion. most ports have this option or the Dolphin one. Once you have booked check out the cruise line website for the shore excursions.

-We're asking 10 other family members if they'd like to join us...is that a catastrophe waiting to happen? We all get along really well, so I think it'll be fine, but not sure if it'll suck because we're too big a party to eat together, etc. - I know a few families that took 20+ people on a cruise and had a wonderful time. Just last week a friend of mine left with 55 other family members on a cruise.

GoodLUCK!

We just went on our first cruise last month and although I found some of the general tips to read, but I did not read the Boards. I wish I had. I would have gotten alot of tips. We still had a great cruise, however. And now I am ready the boards and still find it informative for booking our next adventure. :)

If you are really nervous about picking the right cruise for your family and having all of your questions answered, do what a few others have suggested, seek out a knowledgable travel agent. Agents match people up with perfect vacations for a living and most are very proud of what they do and want you to be happy above all. An agent that really listens to your needs and asks a lot of questions about your family and what you like is a good agent.

-Is airfare included in cruise prices? - Unless otherwise stated, no. Your Travel Agent will be able to help you sort though the options. ie, cruise line air or on your own. They can also help you book a pre-cruise hotel stay and cheaper transfers then what the cruise lines offer. Plus, many travel agents say "thank you for your business" with nice little perks :)

-I'm so afraid I will lose my children or they will fall over the side of the ship...is that likely? How far apart are the bars on the ship's railings? If your children have even a shread of common sense this will not be an issue. You can always take them to a railing the first day and have a little family chat about watching out for one another, what can happen if you try and climb etc. Let them know the real danger. I have a 3-yr-old and when I tell her something could hurt her really bad she understands!

-We want to go to the Caribbean to see the stingrays, how do you do that, is that a separate fee? There are several places you can do this. One is in Nassau, Bahamas and I believe the charge is around $70.00pp if you do it through the ship (Royal Caribbean) but that was 3 years ago and my mind could be foggy on the price! The people who went on it said it was worth every penny.

-We're asking 10 other family members if they'd like to join us...is that a catastrophe waiting to happen? We all get along really well, so I think it'll be fine, but not sure if it'll suck because we're too big a party to eat together, etc. Going as a group is always fun and depending on the ship they may even be able to put together a table for 10. I have hosted a couple of groups onboard ship and both times tables for more than 10 where easily accommodated. Your travel agent will be able to help you arrange this. Plus, booking as a group through one agent usually gets you extra perks and insures that everyone is on the same page from the family members to the cruise line.

I don't know why I"m so nervous, but my husband finally said yes to this and we soooo need a break from it all, so I am willing to put my fears aside and go for it! Go and have a wonderful time!

Thanks for your help!

shmoggy

Don't mention it, it's what cruise critic is all about!

Archived