Do Local Alaskan Tour Operators And Merchants Close Up Early in September?

cmyers

Just wondering how many tour operators and local merchants close up early for the season in Alaska. We wanted to book with Mr. Bears tours in Ketichan for September 16th but he is in hibernation for the winter early. Is this typical in ALaska due to the weather or the tourist season coming to a close? We will be on the Zaandam stopping at Juneau, Skagway, ketichan.

We were on the Maasdam last year on its last cruise to AK.., starting Sept. 18. (Same ports) All the stores were open and they seemed to have a full array of tours. We did our own thing at the ports - buses,walking and one private tour in Skagway (up the White Pass-graveyard and goldpanning by van).

The shops all over AK and the ship will have everything on sale - 50-75% off.-in your last port go to pack & ship !!

We were in Ketchikan last week, along with two other ships. We arrived at 2, which is around the time the other two seemed to be packing up to leave. Our excursion ended at 5, at which time, most of the shops were closed! We were lucky to sneak into Dolly's right before it closed, and we only found one shop on Creek Street that was open. It felt like a ghost town when we weer walking back to the ship. I guess the shopkeepers made their money off the first two ships!

The main reason we booked this cruise was to experience Alaska and the ports of call. I hate the thought that the shops could close up early. We really want to see creek street in Ketichan and do a tour but it looks like their will not be enough time to do both. Guess will have to chose a later tour and do shopping first

Which tour are you looking at for Ketchikan? You can visit the Totem Pole Park on your own via taxi and still have time to shop.

In Juneau you might consider the Flight seeing plane to TAKU GLACIER. The seaplane takes off from a shopping area and the TAKU GLACIER experience is wonderful.

Skagway is a neat little town and you should have time to shop.

I found that most of the shops didn't close for the season until after September 30.

The last time I was there in September I found lots of items on sale.

In Juneau you might consider the Flight seeing plane to TAKU GLACIER. The seaplane takes off from a shopping area and the TAKU GLACIER experience is wonderful.

I'll second that. We loved it so much the first time that we went back the following year! See pix here and here!

:D

Just wanted to thank DaKrewser. I really enjoyed looking at your photos and reading the diary. Thanks for taking the time to post this as it gave us a lot of wonderful ideas on what not to miss. P.S. Your photo's are awesome

Just wanted to thank DaKrewser. I really enjoyed looking at your photos and reading the diary. Thanks for taking the time to post this as it gave us a lot of wonderful ideas on what not to miss. P.S. Your photo's are awesome

Glad you liked it, and I'll tell the photographer (she sleeps with me most nights :) ).

But they really don't do justice to the actual experience, which is truly awe inspiring!

Archived